Start by marking “A Study in Terror” as Want to Read:
A Study in Terror

A Study in Terror (Ellery Queen Detective #30)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  20 reviews
It all begins when Ellery Queen receives a manuscript that appears to be a genuine Sherlock Holmes novel written by John H. Watson, M.D. Where did it come from? The manuscript itself tells the long-concealed story of how Holmes stalked Jack the Ripper -- and discovered who he was! Now you can follow Ellery Queen -- the logical successor to Sherlock Holmes -- as he literall ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 192 pages
Published July 31st 2001 by Thorndike Press (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about A Study in Terror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Study in Terror

Amy Sturgis
As I understand it, Paul W. Fairman wrote the novelization of the film for this book (involving Sherlock Holmes and Jack the Ripper), and "Ellery Queen" (Daniel Nathan and Manford Emanuel) wrote the framing texts featuring... well, Ellery Queen. All parties should have been ashamed.

This book did nothing well.

As a Jack the Ripper story, this fails. The most basic facts of the case as known at the time of publication are overlooked or recounted in error. Most of the victims remain unnamed. And the
Rinnerl
Schriftsteller und Detektiv Ellery Queen kämpft mit seiner Schreibmaschine. Genauer gesagt, mit einer Schreibblockade. Der Abgabetermin seines neuen Buches rückt näher und keine zündende Idee in Sicht. Seine Begeisterung hält sich daher in Grenzen, als ein Bekannter ihm ein handschriftliches Manuskript zur Begutachtung vorbeibringt. Das anonym hinterlassene Tagebuch war mit dem Hinweis versehen es Ellery Queen zukommen zu lassen. Ein erster genauer Blick trägt nicht gerade dazu bei, sein Interes ...more
Riju Ganguly
This book has been so widely discussed and read that there seems to be hardly anything new that can be added, except my strictly personal opinions, which are: -
1. The Victorian part of the story is excellent in its language, Holmesian deductions, atmosphere, and sharp & tight narrative. I enjoyed it hugely, despite the occasional trippings over mistakes committed by Watson.
2. The modern part of the story, with Ellery Queen's obnoxiously over-the-top attitude towards all things large & sm
Mike Jensen
Look, this is a novelization of a movie that I really love. It stars the great John Neville in his first rendition of Sherlock Holmes and it very much feels like a Hammer film, thought it is not. No less than the writing duo that make up Ellery Queen undertook the novelization, and they botched it.

One problem, and this is true for most novelizations, is that there was not enough script for a full-length book. Most authors pad the stories. Frederic Dannay and Manfred Bennington Lee pad the story
Read1000books
Mystery lovers and Sherlock Holmes fans have always been enamored by the question: What if Sherlock Holmes had tackled the Jack The Ripper case? To my knowledge there are at least five written accounts of this scenario: "Dust And Shadow" by Lyndsay Faye (the most recent, and only one I have not read), "The Whitechapel Horrors" by Edward B. Hanna, "The Last Sherlock Holmes Story" by Michael Dibdin, a chapter found in the biographical "Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street" by W.S. Baring-Gould, and thi ...more
Rob
I'm somewhat spoiled by modern standards for novel length, but I've read enough period material from the 20's through the 70's that the 157 page length wasn't an issue. The writing style wasn't a crippling issue either, having by now read enough Holmes pastiches that minor (and major) variances from the original source material in tone and style aren't that big a headache.

Saying that Ellery Queen (actually a pseudonym used by a pair of cousins named Daniel Nathan, alias Frederic Dannay, and Man
Brian
* goodreads' description is incorrect: the book didn't inspire the film (1965); the book (1966) is a novelization of the film.

* It's part Ellery Queen, part Paul W. Fairman. Fairman wrote the novelization (as an unpublished manuscript by John Watson in which Holmes takes on Jack the Ripper) and Queen wrote the framing story (in which Ellery reads the manuscript and comes to his own conclusions).

* It's a fast, entertaining read, but that's as far as it goes.

* I had hoped for more. You know, a boo
DC
I have a weakness for Holmes pastiches — all those supposedly lost manuscripts found in the vaults of Cox & Co. or delivered by some circuitous route into the hands of an astonished recipient. This book falls into the latter category, but with a difference: the astonished recipient here is another fictional detective, not quite so famous as Holmes, perhaps: Ellery Queen. Unlike most pastiches, which either dive into the Holmes adventure with the slightest of introductions or give it a simple ...more
Mike
Apr 08, 2008 Mike rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Holmes Fans, mystery fans
Shelves: mystery
This is a fast moving Sherlock Holmes novel written with a frame of Ellery Queen reading a lost manuscript of Doctor Watson telling about Holmes' search for Jack The Ripper. It is so weird to find books like this that are based in both fact and fiction, books that are hard to tell how much research is done into the hard facts of the case and how much is purely speculative, but either way this is a very good book.
I haven't read any other books by Queen so I was at first thrown off by some of the
Deborah
This a puzzle box of a book. The story deals with a manuscript being brought to Ellery Queen. The manuscript was one of the "lost" manuscripts of Dr. Watson. He never had it published because it would have ruined the famed detective's reputation because Sherlock goofed in naming Jack the Ripper. It now falls to Ellery to put right the wrong, and solve the centuries old question - who was Jack the Ripper?

So you are reading the "manuscript" within the book of Ellery's adventure, a book within a bo
Yuko86
È il primo romanzo di Ellery Queen che leggo e devo dire di averlo scelto solo per la commistione con Sherlock Holmes. Non mi è piaciuto molto, mi ha parecchio annoiato, ho provato interesse solo per il romanzo nel romanzo ma devo ammettere che anche in quello sentivo continuamente una nota stonata, non riusciva a catturarmi come invece succede con i veri romanzi di Arthur Conan Doyle. L'amico di Ellery poi mi è stato subito antipatico ed è praticamente inutile. Non so se darò nuovamente una cha ...more
Lady Knight
I read the words "Sherlock Holmes takes on Jack the Ripper" and I was sold! It's a pity it wasn't a great buy. Generally boring, but hey, at least it had Sherlock Holmes, right?
Cagliostro
Ο Έλλερυ Κουήν (βλ. Περίληψη για το βιβλίο “The Tragedy of Z”) μας μεταφέρει στον Λονδίνο του Σέρλοκ Χολμς προκειμένου να παρακολουθήσουμε τον γνωστό ντετέκτιβ μαζί με τον φίλο του – Γουάτσον- να βρίσκονται στα ίχνη του Τζακ του Αντεροβγάλτη. Όλα ξεκινούν στο παρόν, όταν ένας φίλος του Έλλερυ Κουήν βρίσκει ένα ημερολόγιο με την “χαμένη υπόθεση” του Σέρλοκ Χολμς, το οποίο παραδίδει στον Έλλερυ προκειμένου να εξιχνιάσει αυτός την γνησιότητα του. Μία απολαυστική ιστορία με γρήγορη δράση, εφάμιλλη τ ...more
Emmanuel
Ellery Queen reçoit un manuscrit inédit de Watson alors qu'il est en panne d'inspiration. Il le lit en même temps que nous et déchiffre entre les lignes ce que Holmes n'a jamais dit à Watson.

Le manuscrit de Watson est bien dans le style. Je dirais plutôt meilleur que les vrais. La valeur ajoutée par Ellery Queen cependant n'est pas énorme : les personnages sont caricaturaux, l'intrigue n'est pas inspirée. Sans le dénouement, ces parties seraient bonnes à jeter. Mais il y a le dénouement
Djrmel
This is the first Ellery Queen I've read, but I don't think this will be the last. I chose the book because the I was interested in the Sherlock Holmes/Jack the Ripper pairing, but found the contemporary Queen and his style just as intriguing. They mystery does remain a mystery only because Queen doesn't tell us everything he's doing in his attempts to solve the puzzle, but he's a personable enough character that there's more going on here than on (or two) plot lines.
Caitlin
I felt that the fast pace of this pastiche didn't exactly work in its favour, and, thinking back, I found something lacking in the material because of it.
I did however enjoy the concept, I didn't realise that it was 'Game' novel until near the end, and I changed my mind several times as to who was the Ripper. I found that the Victorian language fitted well, perhaps a little overdone in the minor characters though.
Amy Perry
Written in the 1940s so very of its time but I really liked the way it flitted between the Sherlock story and the present, very clever and while it doesn't reveal any great surprises, is a very good Sherlock Holmes story.
Rosamond
First Ellery Queen I've read in my entire life. My mother used to get his magazines - I believe they were published as Ellery Queen Mystery Mag and featured other authors. Pretty good read! Nearing my 50 book goal for Y2010.
Randy
Ellery Queen meets Sherlock Holmes, so to speak, in pursuit of Jack The Ripper, so to speak.
Babete
( Ellery Queen e Sherlock Holmes contra Jack O Estripador )
Fishsanwitt
Jan 18, 2009 Fishsanwitt marked it as to-read
Shelves: catalogued
stamped
Ramnarayan
Ramnarayan marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Christie Boudreaux
Christie Boudreaux marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Marissa Kuo
Marissa Kuo marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Julie
Julie added it
Nov 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Murder in the Queen's Armes (Gideon Oliver, #3)
  • Coffee, Tea, or Murder? (Murder, She Wrote, #27)
  • Murder by Yew (Edna Davies, #1)
  • One Deadly Summer
  • Bending the Willow: Jeremy Brett As Sherlock Holmes
  • The Maracot Deep
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Killer Sweet Tooth: A Daphne Martin Cake Mystery
  • The Hydrogen Murder (Periodic Table, #1)
  • The Thinking Machine
  • Aha! Insight
  • The Canary Trainer: From the Memoirs of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • Thread Reckoning (An Embroidery Mystery, #3)
  • Under Witch Aura (Moon Shadows, #2)
  • String of Lies (Craft Corner, #2)
  • Drip Dead (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #3)
  • The Black Curtain
  • Uncommon Grounds (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #1)
aka Barnaby Ross.

"Ellery Queen" was a pen name created and shared by two cousins, Frederic Dannay (1905-1982) and Manfred B. Lee (1905-1971), as well as the name of their most famous detective. Born in Brooklyn, they spent forty two years writing, editing, and anthologizing under the name, gaining a reputation as the foremost American authors of the Golden Age "fair play" mystery.

Although eventual
More about Ellery Queen...
The Roman Hat Mystery The Greek Coffin Mystery The Chinese Orange Mystery Cat Of Many Tails The Siamese Twin Mystery