Before You Get Engaged

Before You Get Engaged

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"Before You Get Engaged" offers priceless advice and direction for daters who are considering popping (or answering) the big question. Author and counseling pastor David Gudgel teams with his son, Brent, and Brent's girlfriend, Danielle, using anecdotes, dialogue, and diary entries to discuss the twelve relational indicators indispensable to a healthy, lasting marriage, in...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Before You Get Engaged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before You Get Engaged

Amber M.
Earlier this year as my then boyfriend and I were contemplating getting engaged, I didn't find the contents of this book totally applicable as everything seemed to be going soothly for us. Then the rocky road arrived. Through a series of events, eventually our relationship came to a close rather than moving forward. So, upon my second read through (over the past few weeks), I gleaned a lot more out of it. Seeing so many things I wish I could go back and change, and do over again. To me, this boo...more
Tintinrulz
Aug 22, 2014 Tintinrulz rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tintinrulz by: Arlene Laszlo
"Before You Get Engaged" by David Gudgel, is a book concerning the pre-engagement period, not the pre-marriage period. It looks at serious, godly relationships and what makes them work. The book asks couples twelve big questions to think, pray, discuss before diving in deep together.

These include:
1. Would you marry you?
2. Are you all dated out?
3. Are you ready to make a "till death do you part" commitment?
4. Is the timing right?
5. Are you genuinely "in love"?
6. Do you communicate effectiv...more
Sally Ferguson
My college age Sunday School class is studying a book called “Before You Get Engaged,” by David Gudgel & Brent Gudgel with Danielle Fitch. It asks interesting questions about couples and how they approach the dating relationship and progress toward marriage. We have been engrossed in the dialogue that results and really learned a lot about ourselves.
As I prepare for class tomorrow, I am a bit bothered by chapter 9, “Are You Better Together Than Apart?”
When I married my Honey almost 22 years...more
KD Williams
Feb 09, 2011 KD Williams rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dating couples, Singles
I found this book a great read given that I am currently engaged. It was written well and was easy to follow. I wish I had read it months ago rather than after getting engaged. This book was still a great help because it helped to affirm that I am marrying my man for the right reasons and helped me to really analyze whether I am ready (which I am). All in all I would recommend this to anyone in a serious relationship that may be going down the road to marriage, or possibly for someone who is loo...more
Megan
Nov 30, 2012 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: faith
I really enjoyed this quick read. I liked the "dialogue entries" by son and his girlfriend, and I thought that the content was relevant and insightful. I didn't like some of chapter four, specifically the commentary on Paul's letters, but I did like the rest of the book and would recommend it for anyone in a serious dating relationship!
Meghan
This book has a lot of good points about what issues should be considered when thinking about engagement. It is definitely written from a religious point of view and they have very traditional views of what pre-marriage relationships entail. Still, good food for thought.
Monika
This has some good content in it, but it's definitely intended for college age. My boyfriend and I are in our upper 20s/30s and a lot of this was too basic. I didn't like the sections written by the son and his girlfriend. They talk down to you like you are a teenager.
Andrew Masters
A great book to help you see if you are spiritually ready to commit and see if you are ready for engagement and shows great bible sculptures to back it up.
Donald
This book is put on hold for me... I'm glad though, I believe the book is serving it's purpose and I hope to finish it someday.
Louisa
Probably one of the better pre-engagement resources out there. Nothing beats in-person mentorship, though.
Telma Bonnell
Great book... Things you need know before you get engaged...
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Mackenzie
Mackenzie marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
CL Mayo
CL Mayo marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Morgan Hudson
Morgan Hudson marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Kayla Korns
Kayla Korns marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Becca Buchanan
Becca Buchanan marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Jaime Rousson
Jaime Rousson marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Isa
Isa marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Justine
Justine marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Just One More Thing: Before You Leave Home Before You Live Together: Will Living Together Bring Your Closer or Drive You Apart? Owner's Guide to Using Your Bible Owner's Guide to Using Your Bible