Start by marking “As Eve Said to the Serpent: On Landscape, Gender, and Art” as Want to Read:
As Eve Said to the Serpent: On Landscape, Gender, and Art

As Eve Said to the Serpent: On Landscape, Gender, and Art

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  92 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
To Rebecca Solnit, the word "landscape" implies not only literal places, but also the ground on which we invent our lives and confront our innermost troubles and desires. The organic world, to Solnit, gives rise to the social, political, and philosophical landscapes we inhabit. As Eve Said to the Serpent skillfully weaves the natural world with the realm of art--its histor ...more
Published March 17th 2003 by University of Georgia Press (first published April 2001)

To ask other readers questions about As Eve Said to the Serpent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As Eve Said to the Serpent

Janie
Jun 23, 2008 Janie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiration, art
". . . if environmental problems are really cultural problems -- about the nature of our desires and our perceptions -- then a crucial territory to explore or transform is the territory of the mind." Sounds simple, right?
This is a comprehensive analysis of our evolving relationship with the landscape and how it plays out in our experience as artists. The book begins with the story of Eden and the fall of man and continues forward in time, exploring the influence of the early radical thinkers of
Sam
Nov 16, 2008 Sam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gender, environment
Rebecca Solnit has a talent for linking disparate ideas in ways that make sense. This is the second book of hers that I've read and I would recommend them both. In this book, I especially enjoy her analysis of calendars (of women and nature). This particular example is both common and noteworthy; there are few places where the connection of these two constructs are more apparent.
Jana
Jan 19, 2008 Jana rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection of essays on feminism as it relates to built and natural environments. Somewhere along the way, I lost / sold / exchanged this book as I do with so many... only, this is one I'd soon like to buy back. Every time I read or re-read one of her essays, I was inspired in my own work.
Allison
It has its moments, but fails to come together. I'm always impressed with her style, but this one was not my favorite.
Joe
Jul 26, 2013 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will read more Solnit. Since I've checked this book out I've seen her writing everywhere.
Beth
Jun 29, 2008 Beth rated it it was amazing
Excellent discussion of Art, landscape and gender. Solnit is a brilliant writer -
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Robyn Lynn
Robyn Lynn marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Mark Mendoza
Mark Mendoza marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
literaghost
literaghost marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Pen
Pen marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Ruta
Ruta marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Raminta
Raminta marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
nwlogan
nwlogan marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Lauren
Lauren is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2016
Julia Walsh
Julia Walsh rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Anya
Anya marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Lou Heinrich
Lou Heinrich marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Michelle Nicola
Michelle Nicola marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Apollo
Apollo marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
maria
maria marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Catie
Catie marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
  • Tests of Time
  • Reasonable Creatures: Essays on Women and Feminism
  • The Geometry of Love: Space, Time, Mystery, and Meaning in an Ordinary Church
  • Idols of Perversity: Fantasies of Feminine Evil in Fin-de-Siècle Culture
  • Wild Comfort: The Solace of Nature
  • The Unknown Craftsman: A Japanese Insight Into Beauty
  • The Importance of Being Iceland: Travel Essays in Art
  • A Jury of Her Peers: American Women Writers from Anne Bradstreet to Annie Proulx
  • Selected Cronicas
  • The Lure of the Local: Senses of Place in a Multicentered Society
  • Twenty-eight Artists and Two Saints: Essays
  • Evocative Objects: Things We Think with
  • Chaos, Territory, Art: Deleuze and the Framing of the Earth
Rebecca Solnit is an American author who often writes on the environment, politics, place, and art. Her writing has appeared in numerous publications in print and online, including the Guardian newspaper and Harper's Magazine, where she is the first woman to regularly write the Easy Chair column founded in 1851. She is also a regular contributor to the political blog TomDispatch and to LitHub.

Soln
More about Rebecca Solnit...