Start by marking “A Daughter Of Zion: Library Edition (Zion Chronicles)” as Want to Read:
A Daughter Of Zion: Library Edition (Zion Chronicles)

A Daughter Of Zion: Library Edition (Zion Chronicles #2)

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,030 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
She survived the Holocaust at great personal cost. But will her past now destroy her?

It’s January 1948. After suffering the horrors of years in a Nazi concentration camp, Rachel Lubetkin has at last come home to Jerusalem . . . and the family who thought she was dead. But the mark on her arm has also marked her heart. Will her secrets, if revealed, discredit her among her
Audio
Published April 1st 2001 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published April 1st 1987)

Gwendolyn Gage
Mar 13, 2012 Gwendolyn Gage rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rachel helps the Haganah smuggle weapons into Israel, and gets stuck inside the Old City when passage in and out of the gates is denied. She makes friends with Leah and Shimon. Moshe is in love with Rachel, but hasn't told her. Unable to bear the distance between them, he plots to gain entrance into the Old City.

Great story, with lots of compelling action. The author does juggle a lot of POV characters and head hop. The romance between Rachel and Moshe didn't reach my emotions--suddenly they wer
Kirstin
This is the second book of the Zion Chronicles, but it was my favorite. I really enjoyed it. This book picked up literally when the last book let off. It has been a while since I finished The Gates of Zion (Zion Chronicles #1), so it took probably about 50 pages before I was caught up on everything. My biggest complaint would be the lack of recap from the first book. I think it is actually kind of a relative aspect because there are many books where I remember most things and wish there was less ...more
Liebes Buch
Dieses Buch habe ich etwas stiefmütterlich behandelt und so nebenher gelesen. Deshalb dauerte es länger. Es ist der 2. Teil einer Abenteuerreihe über die Gründung Israels. Leider kenne ich den 1. Teil nicht und habe nicht alle Details verstanden. Zudem ist die Geschichte Israels bei mir eine Bildungslücke. Die Geschichte spielt 1948 zur Zeit den englischen Mandats. Die Holocaust- Überlebende Rachel will zu ihrem Grossvater in die Altstadt Jerusalems. Im Gepäck hat sie ihre schreckliche Vergangen ...more
Cinda
Hmm. The perception of Rachel as guilty of a great crime for surviving in spite of the horrors inflicted upon her while imprisioned in a Nazi brothel--at the age of 14!--is so unrighteous and repugnant, I've had a hard time crediting the emotions of the characters regarding it. The thought of a Nazi abuser eventually catching up with Rachel again makes me ill. I've had to take this book in short doses, that's about all I can handle at one time.

As in the first book, Thoene characterizes in stereo
Payton Goltiao
Apr 25, 2011 Payton Goltiao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reviews
I think this book was a great choice for young adults and exciting for other adults who are looking for adventure and old times of the aftermath in the holocaust. I think the book con get really intense at times which give you a little bit of a thrill and some horror behind it. I think many people should try and read this great series by Bodie Thoene. The book series is about a group of peole going through the aftermath of the holocaust and trying to survive it. I thought that the book was a fa ...more
Hannah
Jan 24, 2016 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book a lot! It was filled with adventure and excitement. It was mainly about Rachel and Moshe, but also had parts with Ellie and David. I really love how Mrs. Thoene jumps around to different peoples lives and what they're doing at that time instead of just one person! I can't wait to read more of her books!
Michelle Welch
Apr 24, 2015 Michelle Welch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the Zion Chronicles, we now follow Rachel Lubetkin as she struggles to find her purpose. The historical aspects of this book are fantastic. I read the book straight through the night. This book continues the journey of understanding the history of the jewish people. A great read.
Dawn
I probably should have read the first book before I read this. Found it a little confusing and hard to get into in the beginning. Mostly, I liked it. Rachel experiences crushing guilt and self-loathing for terrible things she had little, if any control over. Her struggle is mostly internal, but she also faces condemnation from some in her community. I believe that this is unfortunately true to life. Misplaced guilt does hold people captive. People are blamed for their circumstances. And fortunat ...more
Derek
Feb 22, 2012 Derek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The reason I chose 5 stars was because this series usually I walk past, but on a friends recommendation I picked up the first book. I was pleasantly surprised. I loved this book. So much that I bought the entire series in a nice collection. I loved the History and the fact that the characters and the events are actual events and real people that lived in these most trying times of faith and perseverance. I loved the fact that this book brought this History to life for me about the creation of th ...more
Carolyn Tye
Jan 18, 2016 Carolyn Tye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an action packed book which lacks character development. I wish I knew more of why David and Ellie are together and how Moshe could have stopped romantically loving Ellie. The author expects us to just believe these things without question.
Rivkah
Nov 30, 2012 Rivkah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good word structure,realistic as well as informative and there are heart stopping moments.

The thing that sort of irked me was that alhough it was supposed to be talking about the hardships of the Jews in Jerusalem, and how they dealt with the Muslims encroaching on their city, I found at the end of the book that Moshe was (or appeared to be) messianic. For me the subjects just don't mix.

That really threw a belt into the whole series, because the whole thing was just.. conflicting. I mean I like
Darlene
Feb 13, 2016 Darlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series (The Zion Chronicles). I read The Zion Covenant series years ago and have never forgotten the history lessons and the stories of so many courageous people. These books are the best I've ever read, along with Francine Rivers' Mark of the Lion series.
Nicole
Sep 10, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful book about redemption and forgiveness. I am fascinated by Israel and am enjoying getting to read a little of the history of how the Nation of Israel came into being after the war. So good.
Neisha
Great second book the Zion Chronicles series. There was a decent amount of action, but not too much where things seem almost unbelievable. The love between Rachel and Moshe seemed to escalade quickly, but still sweet nonetheless. I understand that since this is a series that the endings will not be true endings until the very last book, but the love story between Moshe and Rachel should have gone a little farther. *SPOILER* Moshe should have asked Rachel to marry him in the end of book two. Ther ...more
Alissa
Jan 04, 2016 Alissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this more as it focuses more on Rachel who is a character I like because of her various depths. This book also had more action.
Kammie
Mar 07, 2014 Kammie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great historical background. Like the various stories of the characters and how they all are connected later. Easy to read.
Dezaree Ryon
Aug 16, 2014 Dezaree Ryon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
CAN'T SAY ENOUGH ABOUT THE INCREDIBLE HISTORICAL AND SCRIPTURAL "FICTION" NOVELS BY THOENE THAT CAPTURE MY HEART!!
Carol
Aug 03, 2015 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Historical book with very confusing characters. I have read other books in this series and find that there are too many details and names to sort out and remember. Will continue series, but this is difficult reading.
Anita Schweppe
Jan 28, 2015 Anita Schweppe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never read about this period of Israel's history before. I found it fascinating.
Jessica
Aug 11, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The ending is a picture of redemption.
Claudia
Jan 05, 2016 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put it down.
Carol Erhardt
Jun 10, 2015 Carol Erhardt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captivating

This second book brings the fear and hardships the Jewish people had to endure after the war. A beautiful love story about accepting forgiveness and love.
Kristen
May 28, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warning: Before reading this book be sure to have plenty of time because you will not be able to put this book down. It is so exciting and engaging. Also, be sure to read the first in this series, The Gates of Zion, or you will be lost. Very good reading. About a Jewish woman who survived the Nazi deathcamps during World War Two who is trying to find a home and her family among the Jews in post war Jerusalem. Love the historical information and the insights into Jewish beliefs and traditions. A ...more
Marlo
I read this book because I'd read the first and brought them home from the library at the same time. Again, I tend to like the Thoene's, but this series just doesn't seem as well-written as others. However, I still appreciate learning about this time in history. I know so little about the creation of a Jewish state after WWII, and I'm enjoying the insight I'm getting. It does make me want to read more about this subject, and historical fiction is my favorite genre.
Emily Ventura
Aug 14, 2010 Emily Ventura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the Zion Chronicles, I enjoyed this book more than the first. It is an easy read and allows the reader to have a great perspective of what it was like in Jerusalem post WWII. The characters deal with very emotional, deep issues but are not very complex themselves-their motivations and actions are fairly straightforward. This may take away from the novel in some aspects, but also lends an ease to the novel which makes it enjoyable to read.
Naoko
Jul 13, 2008 Naoko rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OK, I started this series and as a general rule, Thoene is not one of my favorite authors (her main characters tend to be kind of annoying, but this book is about one of book#1's side characters so it's a little better), but reading the first one Zion's Gate pointed out to me how little I know about Zionism, so I'm continuing in the series (but I'm also reading a non-fiction book on Zionism because I don't trust Thoene's "research" 100%.
Pam
Feb 01, 2016 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#2 Zion Chronicles rereading in 2012 (September)
Kori
Apr 22, 2008 Kori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love books that are so enjoyable that I don't even realize I'm learning stuff. Easy to read with engaging characters, this book chronicles, on a personal level, the struggle of the Jews following the UN's partition of the Mandate of Palestine in 1947. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Lady
I think this is one of the easier books in the series to reread. The thick description isn't as difficult to wade through when it focuses on Rachel's emotional journey more than trying to provide political context for the time period. Rachel's journey is understandable and beautiful and engaging.
Rachel
Jul 27, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: my mom
Shelves: for-fun
just as good as the first one, imo, which i find pretty rare when it comes to a series. the characters were endearing and easy to relate to, and the author's clear, descriptive and engaging writing kept me always in anticipation for what would happen next. can't wait to keep going in the series!
just finished this one 1 15 Jul 13, 2008 09:26PM
  • A House Divided (The Russians, #2)
  • The Dawning of Deliverance (The Russians, #5)
  • Kingscote (Heart of India #3)
  • The Man from Shadow Ridge (Saga of the Sierras, #1)
  • The Saintly Buccaneer: 1777 (The House of Winslow)
  • While Mortals Sleep (Songs in the Night #1)
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E
More about Bodie Thoene...

Zion Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Gates of Zion (Zion Chronicles #1)
  • The Return to Zion (Zion Chronicles #3)
  • A Light in Zion (Zion Chronicles #4)
  • The Key to Zion (Zion Chronicles #5)

“Love is the only mirror we must use to judge ourselves and others.” 65 likes
“And if we do not stand now, then when will a stand be taken against evil?” 8 likes