The Drowning Pool (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard)

The Drowning Pool (Lew Archer #2)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  2,505 ratings  ·  89 reviews
When a millionaire matriarch is found floating face-down in the family pool, the prime suspects are her good-for-nothing son and his seductive teenage daughter. In The Drowning Pool, Lew Archer takes this case in the L.A. suburbs and encounters a moral wasteland of corporate greed and family hatred--and sufficient motive for a dozen murders.
Published June 3rd 1996 by Vintage (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Drowning Pool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Drowning Pool

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
296th out of 4,340 books — 9,970 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Best Literary Mysteries
82nd out of 564 books — 1,430 voters

More lists with this book...

Bill  Kerwin

This is the second book in the Lew Archer series, and with it MacDonald has produced the first of his many first-class mysteries. Archer is hired to to track down a writer of blackmail letters, but soon the waters become murkier: someone drowns in an actual pool, and Archer's investigation of the murder reveals how the survivors are caught in an undertow of family wounds and crime.

Archer shows us three effective portraits of women: an upper class lady who tightly controls her passions, her haunt...more
Cathy DuPont
I’m such a fan of hard-boiled; can’t seem to get enough of it. This is only my second Ross Macdonald and enjoyed it as much as the first. That translates to a lot, mucho, beaucoup, πολλά, multus, הרבה, viele!

It’s the writing, I know, so clean, sparse is the word I like to use. The dialogue is on target, always, the plot is such that the reader is never sure who the bad guys are since they keep flipping, excepting Lew Archer, P.I., of course, private investigator extraordinaire.

While other P.I.’...more
[Redacted]
Another good, very good in fact, novel from Macdonald. About equal in quality with The Moving Target. The plotting is adequate, the story moves along nicely. Good dialog, etc. etc. The best thing about the first two novels is the character of Lew Archer. Archer is the epitome of the hard boiled, tough talking, wise cracking private detective. For an example, I will turn to a page randomly for a wisecrack*.

Archer, upon confronting someone he had shot in one arm earlier in the book, "I swung the...more
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
This is the second novel by Ross Macdonald I've read and I'm not really impressed. He can write - there are some great descriptions, some witty observations and quips, even a few similes that aspire to Chandlerian status. But the plot is all over the place and I'm not sure the prose makes up for it as it does in Chandler's best novels. There's a lot of woman-hating dressed up as condescending chivalry and Macdonald's depiction of a pair of crypto-gays (he never comes right out and says that's wh...more
Mike
Sep 17, 2011 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
More Ross Macdonald. More Lew Archer. More great American crime/detective writing.

I've read three novels and a collection of short fiction my Mr. Macdonald (nee' Kenneth Millar) now and I remain impressed. I'm still shocked that I had been unaware of this author (except for one excellent short story) for so long - thank you Goodreads! Whether he is writing in s style that reminds one of Dashiell Hammet (some of the early short fiction) or in his fully-developed style of later years, he is an exc...more
Nancy Oakes
Maybe a 3.75 on this one. The Drowning Pool is Ross Macdonald's second book in his Lew Archer series, but it's my first foray into this author's work. After this book, I think that Archer is a guy I will enjoy reading more about. With eighteen series novels and two short story collections, there's a lot about this world-weary gumshoe to explore.

Lew Archer is called upon to investigate an anonymous poison pen letter sent to his client, Maude Slocum. Maude's beyond worried about her mother-in-law,...more
F.R.
I’m still fairly new to the world of Ross Macdonald and Lew Archer, but I’ve greatly enjoyed what I’ve read so far. This one starts with poison-pen letters and speeds quickly to dead bodies, femme fatales and gangsters. Of course, this being Macdonald, there’s a lot more psychological insight than one would normally find in this type of thriller. Pacy, well plotted with great descriptions and synonyms, this book is up there with Chandler – and, in my world, there’s no higher praise than that.
Sean Brennan
I actually prefer the writing of MacDonald to Chandler, albeit Marlowe and Archer are not just cut from the same cloth they could possibly have been separated con-joined twins. MacDonald himself can finish the review, because this single paragraph contains all you one needs to know. Excellent.

I felt like a lonely cat, an aging tom ridden by obscure rage, looking for torn-ear trouble. I clipped that pitch off short and threw it away. Night streets were my territory, and would be till I rolled in...more
M.L. Rudolph
1950. Maude Slocum opens this tale at the doorway to Lew Archer's office. "Thirty-five and still in the running," the detective surmises. Maude is scared. She's intercepted a letter to her husband calling him a cuckold. Who would send such a letter and why? She hires Archer to find out.

Archer drives north of LA to the fictitious community of Quinto, next to the oil town of Nopal, where the Slocums live on property awash in oil. Slocum's mother-in-law refuses to let the big oil company ruin her l...more
Victoria Mixon
Mystery writer Ross Macdonald was the husband of mystery writer Margaret Millar, which automatically makes their household my dream household. And I've read and liked Macdonald's The Undeground Man.

But I'm afraid The Drowning Pool doesn't measure up. For all the great potential tension in unexplained secret relationships, the father-who's-not-a-father (that "secret" isn't really a secret), not to mention that wonderful ancient hacienda, there's too many weaknesses in this one for a pro: too much...more
Andy
I don’t want to say I disliked this novel, but I was overall unimpressed with it compared with others I've read lately. Lew Archer is a tough, smart character, but he’s not as rough or interesting as Mike Hammer or Philip Marlowe for example. The story really got going about a third into it, but up to that point I was actually bored. The prose isn't always on-par with the best hard-boiled writing in my opinion.

The story follows private eye Lew Archer, he's contacted by Maude Slocum who wants him...more
Kristopher
If, like me, you had hardly given mystery a second glance while you were forming your literary taste, you should read this book (or any of MacDonald's Lew Archer novels - this is actually the second). There are so many incredible books out there to be digested, I didn't feel I had the time or mental space to waste on detective fiction. But if you know me, you'll know I've changed my tune in recent years. And if you want to change your tune, too, you could do a lot worse than start with Ross MacD...more
Trixie Fontaine
Definitely entertaining and there were things I appreciated a lot that I didn't anticipate, but those things (an environmentalist sensibility) set me up for disappointment with the save-a-ho agenda ("get a DECENT job"???) which I would have accepted without batting an eyelash given the genre and age of the book if it hadn't been for the relatively progressive thoughts in other arenas.

Still, I may give Ross MacDonald another shot because a) I vaguely recall reading a short of his that I loved (mi...more
Ann
Jul 22, 2013 Ann rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Lew Archer is right up there with Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade at the top of the Californian world-weary private eyes. In this novel from 1950 he is hired by a the curvaceous Maude Slocum, who has intercepted a letter threatening to tell her rich but weak husband about her indiscretions. Lew feels hamstrung by the fact that she refuses to give him any information, and shows up in her town to see for himself. He quickly realizes the Slocum household is toxic with secrets, resentments and greed, W...more
Phillip Thurlby
Dec 11, 2013 Phillip Thurlby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of Classic Crime
For me, as should be the case for all crime writers and readers, I use the holy grail that is Raymond Chandler as a measure of an Author's quality.

This is unfair for most authors as the quality that Chandler created in his Marlowe Mysteries is something beyond the reaches of much less than a deity. However, one of the closest contenders is Ross MacDonald.

I first read this book when I was in University and I will admit that its brilliance escaped me at the time. I knew it was good, but I could no...more
Christopher Fulbright
These Lew Archer books are top notch and this one may be the best of the five or so that I've read in the series so far. Ross Macdonald has a way of using that fine old hardboiled style like casting an artful spell. People have done it before, but few people have done it better, so it winds up powerful magic indeed. Archer is a likable tough guy with a code of honor, and, in this book in particular, the character has a way of making insightful observations about people and life that really catch...more
Nick Tramdack
The plot of this early Ross Macdonald novel isn't too different from many other 1950s private eye stories. What lifts it above the pack is Macdonald's voice - clearsighted, snappy, and somehow ethical at the same time... not that private eye Lew Archer considers himself better than others, but that he holds everybody to the same standard and comes out often worse. A kind of humanist noir.

You get "LITERARY" lines like: "her cheeks faintly hollowed as if she had been feeding off her own beauty" in...more
Jason Shaffner
Huh, probably the strangest ending (in a satisfying way) of any PI novel I've read. It gives nothing away to say it ends with a fistfight and a handshake between the combatants. Strange, but so is the book. Slow at first, a bit scattered throughout, yet somehow pleasant. Lew Archer novel and he's an interesting blend of thug, punching-bag, and Sherlock. I like him.
Varad
Ross Macdonald's reputation is that he took the noirish, hardboiled private detective story pioneered by Dashiel Hammett and refined by Raymond Chandler, to psychological depths they only hinted at. A Euripides to their Aeschylus and Sophocles, as it were. If that's true, then that transformation took place in his subsequent Lew Archer novels. In The Drowning Pool he's still in Chandler mode, though there are hints of what's to come.

A beautiful woman, Maude Slocum, walks into Archer's office and...more
Elizabeth
This is the second in the Lew Archer series. I liked it quite a bit and I am seeing some parallels in MacDonald's works. There are some recurrent themes such as lost innocence of youth, escalating violence, and broken adults with twisted lives.
Sandi
While an enjoyable PI story this was not quite as good as the first book in the series. Archer is a great character though and I plan to continue on with the series. Listened to the audio version narrated by Tom Parker.
The Crime Scene Scene
The Drowning Pool is the second novel in the Lew Archer series by author Ross MacDonald. Archer is hired by a woman to investigate a libellous letter she has received. But he is soon drawn into a murder investigation when the mother in law who lives with them is found drowned in the pool at the house. Suspicion immediately falls on the chauffeur but Archer is not so sure.

Lew Archer is generally considered to be a bit of a rip off to Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe and the like.Read the full re...more
Hazza
A classic and a very good read!
Oddmonster
#39: The Drowning Pool by Ross MacDonald:

She closed her eyes. From the places where it was pinned to the durable bone, the flesh of her face fell in thin slack folds. The folds made dark lines slanting downward from the corners of her closed eyes, the wings of her nose, the edges of her jaw, deep charcoal shadows cartooning dissolution.

I said goodnight and left her.

Synopsis: Lew Archer's hired by the middle generation of a really dysfunctional family, two generations of which are killed. Archer'...more
Rog Harrison
Over thirty years ago I had enjoyed the stories about Hammett's Continental Op and Chandler's Marlowe and these led me on to the Lew Archer series by Ross Macdonald. When I saw several of the Lew Archer novels in the library I decided to borrow them all. This is the second in the series and I am not sure if I have read it before. The plot is very complicated and I confess some of it did not not make sense to me. For example on page 49 of the 2012 Penguin edition he wrote,

"A fat man with a croppe...more
Harry
Unlike the recent Thompson book The Grifters (set in the same time period and locations) which I found a bit too Dostoevsky-like, Ross MacDonald delivers well crafted, excellently plotted novels that leave one little to doubt as to the skill of this author. Many a writer of mystery/crime novels have MacDonald on their favorites reading list (I researched this, and in fact came to MacDonald because of this).

Unlike Burke who brings a certain sense of literature to his Robicheaux novels, MacDonald'...more
Joe
I've been wondering lately, what is it that draws me to these detective/crime novels? What is it about them that appeals to me? One big reason is the "outsider" factor that all these stories have. Lew Archer is an outsider looking in on peoples lives. He's outside their lives and he's the only one of a handful of characters (there are always at least two minor characters he can trust) with a moral code. He follows this code no matter what: back against the wall, staring down a gun barrel. He, an...more
Alan
Not at all what I expected... "The Drowning Pool" is a masterful work of fiction. I've read Ross Macdonald before, but now I see why he is one of the biggest names in the hard-boiled family. A spectacular novel which you can really sink your teeth into.

In hindsight, I think I did Mr Macdonald a disservice. As head-over-heels in love with Hammett and Chandler as I am, I may have expected too much from "The Moving Target" and my unreasonably high expectations were bound to take the shine off. It s...more
Mariano Hortal
"El fuego del cielo se había extinguido, sólo quedabanlargas hebras de nubes como restos de cenizas lívidas en la noche. Todo lo que puede ver de las montañas fueron sus sombras gigantescas sosteniendo el cielo tenuemente iluminado". "La piscina de los ahogados" de Ross Macdonald es el segundo libro de la saga del gran detective Lewis Archer, y nuevamente nos encontramos a un gran clásico que sigue los cimientos puestos por su primera novela "El blanco móvil", con un detective con mucha personal...more
False Millennium
I had made a list of Mcdonald books to read at a future date, and I have begun. This was made into a movie starring Paul Newman and the movie has nothing much to do with the book. I can definitely tell that Mcdonald's writing style influenced author Michael Connolly (and many others, I am sure.) As I discovered with George V. Higgins, you can be overwhelmingly popular in your era, but let a decade or two pass, and good luck finding the books. I'll have to special order the bulk of them.
  • The Empty Copper Sea (Travis McGee #17)
  • The Big Knockover: Selected Stories and Short Novels
  • Leave Her to Heaven
  • Double Indemnity
  • The Hot Spot
  • The Mike Hammer Collection: Volume I
  • The Long-Legged Fly (Lew Griffin, #1)
  • Miami Blues
Ross Macdonald is the pseudonym of the American-Canadian writer of crime fiction Kenneth Millar. He is best known for his series of hardboiled novels set in southern California and featuring private detective Lew Archer.

Millar was born in Los Gatos, California, and raised in his parents' native Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, where he started college. When his father abandoned his family unexpectedly,...more
More about Ross Macdonald...
The Chill The Galton Case The Moving Target The Way Some People Die The Blue Hammer

“There was nothing wrong with Southern California that a rise in the ocean level wouldn't cure.” 16 likes
“He had pink butterfly ears. The rest of him was still in the larval stage.” 3 likes