Reimagining Evangelism: Inviting Friends on a Spiritual Journey

Reimagining Evangelism: Inviting Friends on a Spiritual Journey

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Finalist, Fourth Annual Outreach Resource of the Year (2006) Sometimes talking about Jesus with your friends can feel like trying to close a deal on a sales call, pushing something on people they may not really want. But what if you thought of it more like inviting them on a spiritual journey? Imagine being free to be yourself and free for the Spirit to work in you. Imagin...more
Published August 1st 2006 by InterVarsity Press (first published June 26th 2006)

Emily
Normally when I read books about evangelism, I end up feeling bad about not being bolder and feeling convicted, yet somewhat apprehensive, about stepping out more with my faith. In Reimagining Evangelism, Richardson gives some really helpful paradigms for evangelism in the context of our current society and I'm left feeling really hopeful and excited about what it can mean to share about Jesus with my friends, acquaintances, and family.

Having been a part of Intervarsity for the past few years, t...more
Mark Soone
I would probably go 3.5 stars for this. I am not real familiar with Richardson, but he brought a fresh approach to storytelling evengelism and took some looks at other tried and perhaps dated methods. Evangelism is a sorely lacking need in the church, that books like this will always be relevant and in demand. However I prefer many other evangelism books over the years to this one...that does not make it bad, far from it, rather I like some other options out there more.

The problem is most believ...more
Chris
Jun 29, 2007 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Christians looking to grow in their evangelism
Richardson's book is very helpful for people who want to know how to share the gospel in a postmodern context. As I was reading it I could think of many interactions in my college context where the ideas and discussions of this book would have helped me greatly. Too bad I didn't read it earlier! Richardson explores concepts such as Spirit-led evangelism and the idea of going from a "salesperson" approach (which no one, not even Christians, like) to a "travel guide" approach, which is actually a...more
Daniel
Jul 05, 2007 Daniel rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: would be evangelists of this generation
Shelves: evangelism
A great book! I appreciated rick's candid and open approach to evangelism. He opens up the world of inviting friends onto a spiritual journey and shifts the paradigm from conversion to journey and direction. These ideas are not new to readers of out of the salt shaker (or even of Mark if you look closely) but he articulates these things well and remains practical enough that you feel like you could do it!
I also appreciated his section on using your own gifts for evangelism. He is a collaborator...more
Graham
A very good, concise resource for helping passionate Christians share their faith in creative ways. It provides some very helpful insights into the problems of some modes widely used in some circles, and pushes readers to expand the thinking on evangelism to include various possibilities, and "outside the box" methods for presenting Jesus in a way which is more faithful to the way the New Testament authors present him.
Jeff
Wanna know the point of this book and how to Evangelise? Two words: Be Real! Coming from the background I've been steeped in it was freeing to read about it, but it didn't teach anything new necessarily! I would recommend it to those steeped in the 4 laws model, or cold-call evangelism, but others already in tune with relational evangelism, and everyone else, the point is just to be real! Stop nicing things up!
Brad Kittle
I got some great ideas from this book, ones I will use. Still not sure what I think about the book overall. The Holy Spirit detective agency chapter was a 5, but some of the other chapters were less than stellar. 3 Star for me is good and this book was good, but not great.
John Williams
i've read 7 or 8 books on evangelism and this one is the best. book is only 160 pages and could be read in an afternoon. he shuns a lot of the excesses I've seen people take in efforts to share the gospel and advocates a style that makes a lot of sense.
Michelle
Shatter your paradigms of how to "go to Judea and Samaria and to the ends of the earth" (hmm, did I get that reference right?). Super helpful for shaking up your thinking about conversing with folks about faith and Jesus in a real way.
J. Michael
I purchased this book a few years ago and only finished half of it. I'm rereading it now and appreciate Rick Richardson's insights into communicating one's beliefs through storytelling.
Milan Doshi
Practical application, and challenging. One of the best way's to evangelize is to do things with non believers that you love doing!
Rev.dulce
This is a great book if you are interested in a new way to do evangelism. If don't want to change your method then don't read it.
Aswindo
Sedang membaca edisi bahasa Indonesianya. Sangat menginspirasi..... :)
Danny
Dump all your old evangelism books in the garbage and just read this one.
James
Some helpful insights on how to do evangelism today.
Chris Wheatley
Sep 15, 2007 Chris Wheatley marked it as to-read
Shelves: ivp
rick is great.
Hal
Hal marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Mandelbrotr
Mandelbrotr marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Webby Oglesby
Webby Oglesby marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Daniel
Daniel added it
Jul 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Evangelism Outside the Box: New Ways to Help People Experience the Good News Experiencing Healing Prayer: How God Turns Our Hurts into Wholeness Reimagining Evangelism: Inviting Friends on a Spiritual Journey The Heart of Racial Justice: How Soul Change Leads to Social Change Experiencing Healing Prayer: A Journey From Hurts To Wholeness