Start by marking “Children at Play: Using Waldorf Principles to Foster Childhood Development” as Want to Read:
Children at Play: Using Waldorf Principles to Foster Childhood Development

Children at Play: Using Waldorf Principles to Foster Childhood Development

Imaginative play is more vital for a child's future than many parents and educators realize. The more they are allowed to be absorbed in their play, the more fully and effectively they will later take their place in the community of adults.

Drawing on her experiences as a mother and as a proponent of Rudolf Steiner's Waldorf system of education, author Heidi Britz-Creceliu
Published March 1st 1996 by Inner Traditions

To ask other readers questions about Children at Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Children at Play

Shae
Oct 23, 2014 Shae rated it really liked it
I was looking for some literature on Waldorf Education and found this book. I don't know how it compares to others, but it's small size was definitely a plus. The book itself was a slightly antiquated, philosophical read, but I have to admit I am a fan of the Waldorf principles, at least as early childhood goes (basically, children learn through hands on, practical PLAY) after perusing this short volume. I don't agree with all of it, of course, but I got two important things out of it: 1.) A mor ...more
Marissa Morrison
Before I set this book down filled with anger (and a little bit of fear!) over its claims that I've been psychologically damaging my children by encouraging them as readers, I also learned that it's not good to let kids excel in school. According to Britz-Crecelius, children who perform at the top of the class academically will necessarily have social problems, including pseudo-friendships with normal kids who will only use them as sources of knowledge.

But I think that the following statement ge
Hope
Jun 12, 2014 Hope rated it really liked it
Shelves: waldorf
A great weaving of Waldorf principles with the basic theory that play is the true work of childhood. I could not agree more. This book is a glimpse into the romantic "when I was your age" days of the true, unfettered, free play of the child. I can only hope to offer my own children such freedom to remain children for as long as possible and to play as such. I found this book to be both joyfully inspiring as well as a warning for our society. A very enjoyable read.
Lisa
Dec 15, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
I rated this a 3 just because it's right in the middle, but I'm really not sure what to think of the book. I've become interested in the whole Waldorf education system, and, at least according to Amazon reviews, this was a must read. The writing was really disjointed and a bit hard to follow at times, maybe because of the translation from German. And some of the claims that were made were so outrageous! But I plugged along . . . 1 - because it was a short book, and 2 - because I completely agree ...more
Charissa
Feb 16, 2010 Charissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
This book gave me a lot of insight into the philosophy of Waldorf Education. I love the way the approach allows children to go back to more natural living and that it provides them with more freedom and wonder in their lives.
Deirdre Keating
May 19, 2008 Deirdre Keating rated it it was ok
Disappointing. Possibly a poor translation but I didn't like the writing style and didn't learn much beyond the basic premise.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Laura Owen
Laura Owen rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Elizabeth Ruth
Elizabeth Ruth marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Tracey
Tracey added it
May 01, 2016
Jessica Schicker
Jessica Schicker rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Johanna Dieterich
Johanna Dieterich marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Marsha
Marsha rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2015
Shula Colleen
Shula Colleen rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2015
Jeff Archer
Jeff Archer marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
amargaridab
amargaridab marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Miko Kawasaki
Miko Kawasaki rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2015
Stormy
Stormy marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Sachi
Sachi rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2015
Cdubbzzz
Cdubbzzz marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Belinda Halloran
Belinda Halloran rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2015
Megan Palasik
Megan Palasik marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Leang Ngov
Leang Ngov marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016