Start by marking “Waldorf Education: A Family Guide” as Want to Read:
Waldorf Education: A Family Guide

Waldorf Education: A Family Guide

Waldorf Education finds itself catapulted from its humble beginnings 80 years ago into the midst of the central educational and social issues of this decade.

What draws parents and educators toward Waldorf Education today? "Waldorf Education - A Family Guide" offers a "first look" for parents and educators into the history, philosophy, curriculum, and traditions of this uni

Published June 1st 1999 by Michaelmas Pr

To ask other readers questions about Waldorf Education, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waldorf Education

Apr 21, 2013 Ann rated it really liked it
This was a helpful overview of Waldorf education. I was mainly reading it to learn a bit about Waldorf philosophy of education and to gain tips for incorporating Waldorf values into our homeschool. The first three sections give an overview for each grade level, as well as some information about anthroposophy and Rudolph Steiner. (I loved the idea of teaching knitting along with reading and writing!)

The fourth section, "Family Life and Waldorf Education," was full of useful ideas — ways to struct
Jan 11, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it
This is a good overview of many topics a parent starting their child in a Waldorf school (or interested in Waldorf-inspired homeschooling) might be wondering about. I found the chapters on some of the more esoteric subjects (such as the concept of "humours" in Waldorf) more compelling than I had expected and actually somewhat helpful in conceptualizing the best ways to reach a child and help her learn. I only wish there had been a few more chapters, perhaps with a little more detail.
Lindsay Evermore
Jul 25, 2010 Lindsay Evermore rated it liked it
Helpful and informative. Not a comprehensive guide.
Amanda Collins
Aug 01, 2014 Amanda Collins rated it really liked it
The Waldorf philosophy to education is the most comprehensive, kind, respectful, and effective method I have read about or seen in teaching conscientious, loving, inquisitive, and knowledge/skill seeking learners. It addresses spirit, mind, body, a person's inner self and their importance as an individual within a group of different people. Lessons and units of study are timed throughout childhood to coordinate with the strengths and curiosities children and teens face at each stage. They are al ...more
Jan 09, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
This was a fairly interesting read, I was hoping for more of a Waldorf philosophy and the reason behind it than this book provided, and it really made me wish I was the calm, patient, parent that we see Waldorf teachers as! Anyone interested in education styles would be reminded about how important each child is.
Highly recommended to me by very experienced teachers--So I feel confident recommending it without reading. Have not yet had time to read.
Feb 14, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-books
While the Waldorf style doesn't fit our family needs, I thought this book was a great primer on their philosophies.
Apr 07, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
Textbook info about K-8 Waldorf Education. Good resources at end of book (probably available online too).
Beth Anne
Beth Anne rated it really liked it
May 05, 2012
Di rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2010
Kelly rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Jane rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Melanie Wolfe
Melanie Wolfe rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2015
Sachi rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2015
Jennifer Klein
Jennifer Klein rated it liked it
May 24, 2014
Jenifer rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2013
Teresamesamomesa Fififofesa
Teresamesamomesa Fififofesa rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2013
Sarah Easton Miller
Sarah Easton Miller rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Amber Hellewell
Amber Hellewell rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2013
Apryl rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2014
Marianne rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Amanda rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2014
Lindsey rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Jacqueline Vance
Jacqueline Vance rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Sherry McCoy
Sherry McCoy rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2014
Jennifer Jones
Jennifer Jones rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2013
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2015
Brianna Soloski
Brianna Soloski rated it it was ok
Dec 07, 2014
Gaurav rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Understanding Waldorf Education: Teaching from the Inside Out
  • Creative Play for Your Toddler: Steiner Waldorf Expertise and Toy Projects for 2 - 4s
  • Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • All Year Round: Christian Calendar of Celebrations
  • School as a Journey
  • Beyond the Rainbow Bridge: Nurturing Our Children from Birth to Seven
  • Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day
  • The Rhythm of Family: Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons
  • Festivals, Family, and Food: A Guide to Multi-Cultural Celebration
  • The Education of the Child: And Early Lectures on Education (Foundations of Waldorf Education, 25)
  • Above All, Be Kind: Raising a Humane Child in Challenging Times
  • Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years
  • Fifteen Minutes Outside: 365 Ways to Get Out of the House and Connect with Your Kids
  • Magical Child