Start by marking “Too Close to Call: The Thirty-Six-Day Battle to Decide the 2000 Election” as Want to Read:
Too Close to Call: The Thirty-Six-Day Battle to Decide the 2000 Election

Too Close to Call: The Thirty-Six-Day Battle to Decide the 2000 Election

From the best-selling author of A Vast Conspiracy and The Run of His Life comes Too Close to Call--the definitive story of the Bush-Gore presidential recount. A political and legal analyst of unparalleled journalistic skill, Jeffrey Toobin is the ideal writer to distill the events of the thirty-six anxiety-filled days that culminated in one of the most stunning Supreme Cou ...more
Published October 8th 2002 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Too Close to Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Close to Call

Jeremy
Feb 18, 2016 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not the democracy Jed Bartlet taught me to believe in.
Philip
Apr 20, 2009 Philip rated it really liked it

"The votes of Florida have been counted. They have been recounted. And tonight they have been certified."
-George Bush

In college, I remember reading and hearing a little bit about the Florida recount, thinking it was bizarre, and moving on.

Not surprisingly, the story is bizarre. Not bizarre in the "they stole the election kind of way" - although I felt more sympathetic to those people after reading the book.

The book looks at the differing approaches of the Republicans and the Democrats to the re
Janet
Nov 05, 2009 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
While I was well-aware of all the general information in this saga, I learned many more details.Very good at filling in the personalities and political leanings of all the players.Very fast-paced book.
Rebecca
Jun 25, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great recap of the 2000 Presidential election, one of two important U.S. events that happened while I was out of the country. I finally feel like I know what was going on!
Paul
Nov 29, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Toobin’s analysis of the battle over the 2000 presidential election recount in Florida exposes any number of faults in the American democratic process. Ordinarily, the will of the electorate is fairly clear, and these faults do not effect the outcome of an election. In the extrordinarily close election between George W. Bush and Al Gore, however, our imperfect system ground to a near halt and left us with an outcome that in all likelihood did not express the will of the voters.

At the most basic
Ryan
Apr 27, 2011 Ryan rated it liked it
An in-depth account of the 2000 Florida recount by CNN's chief legal analyst. Toobin, who was in Florida covering the recount, tells the behind-the-scenes tale of the month-long battle, and explains the legal and political processes involved.

In Toobin's account, Bush had several key advantages during the recount battle:
1. Bush had started off in the lead after election night, and thus carried a public imprimatur that few judges or election officials dared to challenge.
2. The Republicans were abl
Jack
May 13, 2008 Jack rated it really liked it
While this book sounds like a dry factual account - and it contains as much information as I would expect from a good one - it's also suprisingly emotionally effective. It's hard to discern to what extent that derives from Toobin's prose and analysis and to what extent it derives from the memories the topic recalls, but either way it's an impressive feat. It is, for better or worse, like reliving the tension, exasperation, and disappointment five weeks following the 2000 election.

The dynamics a
David
Jan 27, 2011 David rated it liked it
Shelves: judiciary
As the saga reaches its climax (and as his story approaches its conclusion) Toobin's bias becomes increasingly difficult to ignore or mitigate. His tone starts balanced and reasonably fair, but becomes increasingly shrill and mean-spirited. Hard to concentrate on getting through the story without that needless distraction. He undermines his case by taking the swipes at Republican efforts and excusing Democrats.
I thoroughly enjoyed "The Nine" and was really looking forward to his interpretation o
Brian
Dec 11, 2013 Brian rated it really liked it
I did enjoy this book to a very high level. Not only did it contain insight on the election before it happened, in very detailed manner, it also showed the effects post-election. This election had a very significant impact on the United States, and it challenged the Judiciary system and the courts, and tested the integrity of both candidates. Both Bush and Gore had to exemplify patience to a high level and maintain their equanimity in a very stressful situation. The author, Jeffery Toobin, had g ...more
Ben
Nov 15, 2014 Ben rated it really liked it
I've somehow managed to make it through most of my life without fully understanding the dispute over the 2000 election. Gore won more votes, the Supreme Court stopped the recount, and that was about it for my knowledge. How fortunate I was.

Toobin jams the events, with the occasional recap, into a 300 pages which he could have easily exceeded. He portrays a spineless, unmotivated, aloof Gore campaign up against a hard-nosed, take-no-prisoners Bush team led by James Baker. The way the battle's eve
Andrew Georgiadis
Feb 16, 2011 Andrew Georgiadis rated it it was amazing
I reread this recently in anticipation of shenanigans and a scare somewhere with the recent 2008 election. It is absolutely fascinating. Jeff Toobin makes the ins and outs of archaic Florida election law accessible to even the most amateur reader of law (read: me) and the resulting material is tremendously compelling. The disgusting advantages afforded to each side on a daily basis; the tenuous connection that Dems and the GOP had on winning the battle to recount the votes; Gore's meekness in fi ...more
David
Aug 11, 2010 David rated it really liked it
We all might want to forget that it ever happened -- not only the election that the U.S. Supreme Court superseded but also the whole George W. Bush presidency that followed. That would be unwise. Reading Toobin's book 10 years after the historic episode you can see how the principles (or lack of them) of the Bush administration and Republicans were in operation even before day one, e.g., win at all costs, no compromising or bipartisanship.

Gore comes out looking high-principled but uninspiring as
Evan Rocher
Mar 25, 2015 Evan Rocher rated it really liked it
Toobin's reportage is solid in Too Close to Call, but I walked away feeling relatively unsatisfied.

His initial telling of the story is, as usual, brisk and full of well-researched information. If you want to get an idea of the pre-legal maneuvering or how the recounts actually worked, this is the book for you. It was really interesting to see both the differences in strategy between the Republican and Democratic camps and just how thoroughly Bush used his brother's political influence in Florid
Joshua Taylor
Toobin has become one of the most recognized legal writers over the past 10 years, so when I saw this earlier effort of his covering the 2000 election I decided to give it a read. While it was an interesting read that brought back many memories, I would have prefered a bit more clarity in some of the blow-by-blow descriptions of what was happening. I'm sure things were truncated just for space - the book comes in at at a bit under 300 pages and is a quick read, perfect for a mass-market effort. ...more
Bethany
Apr 29, 2010 Bethany rated it it was amazing
This book is exactly what it appears to be, a comprehensive account of the post-Election Day balloting and recounting debacle in Florida in 2000. Jeffrey Toobin is a fantastic writer, and this book is very readable. Like in his other fabulous book The Nine, on the Supreme Court, his bias is clear, but he is mostly fair and fun to read. His central point is that Al Gore should have won the election, but he failed to go all-out in the post-election wrangling. His team was tentative, divided, and r ...more
LemonLinda
May 15, 2016 LemonLinda rated it really liked it
When journalist Jeffrey Toobin focuses on an event, an issue or a part of history, it is dissected, investigated, and thoroughly analysed. Politics aside, in this book he examines all of the key players and the events as they unfolded making the 2000 presidential election unforgettable. The mix of personalities on both sides and way that the story was told was fascinating. Toobin has a gift of bringing out the intricacies of the story, yet insuring it is relevant and readable.

I don't necessaril
Phillip
Oct 29, 2012 Phillip rated it liked it
I think I have waaay too many books on my shelf about the 2000 presidential election recount, so this book pales in comparison to other books I have. However -- don't get me wrong, this is a good book that sets forth what both sides had to deal with and does a good job explaining all the court cases and legal issues. The author has an interesting thesis about the competing ideologies (not political) of the Bush and Gore sides, and how they predicted which party would be victorious in the recount ...more
Kira
Mar 16, 2009 Kira rated it really liked it
Wow...more than I ever wanted to know about that 2000 presidential election. This book was surprisingly addictive and engaging. I found it easy to read for hours and it was very insightful into what exactly took so long to decide that election. I know Gore didn't want to look like a sore loser, but seriously, that's exactly how it played out. Not that the two men were the best candidates, this has nothing to do with what party is right and what party is wrong, it's just a good look at how issues ...more
Anne Van
Nov 05, 2009 Anne Van rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really hesitated to open this book......after eight years of agony, could I bear it? Plus, not exactly news.

Wellll, the book is astonishing. The writing is so engaging, it reads almost like a thriller, what will happen next?? I watched the whole circus on C-SPAN pretty obsessively, but here's all the inside dope.

And, actually, still timely about the nature of Democrats (the party of process) and Republicans (the party of results at any cost).
Sam
Dec 28, 2014 Sam rated it really liked it
Devastating and riveting, Toobin walks through doors closed to most and reports back the breaking of an election. Among other things, it's interesting to read this sliver of history with more than ten year's remove. John G. Roberts and Sandra Day O'Conner both find themselves in dramatically different places professionally and in relation to the recount. O'Conner's comments at the time strike especially harshly given her ultimate assessment of the Bush Administration.
Josh
Jan 02, 2013 Josh rated it really liked it
I remain a total sucker for Toobin.

This treatment of a chapter in US history that everyone wants to forget was enthralling. He did beat his thesis--that the Democrats fought the noble fight...which led to a Republican victory--into the ground a bit. That said, he makes a winning argument without having to resort to ignoble tactics...
John Hodge
Jan 03, 2012 John Hodge rated it it was amazing
This book is a fact-based analysis of the 2000 presidential election. It helps us understand why, as Toobin puts it at the end, the outcome was "a crime against democracy." The analysis makes the reader wonder, "What would prevent it from happening again?" Thus, since the answer is uncertain and the 2012 election is approaching, the book is still quite relevant.
Angie
Jun 18, 2008 Angie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who want to know more about the 2000 US Presidential Election
Recommended to Angie by: John Lewis
I found this book very revealing of the situation & events surrounding the disputed 2000 US Presidential Election. It seemed to llok at the election from all sides, though I'd say it is more sympathetic to the Gore camp. I would totally recomend this for anyone who wants to have a better idea of how George W. Bush became our President.
Anthony Taylor
A good and interesting account of the US presidential race in 2000. Covers all the key issues in considerable depth and as a result it proves a little dry in places; that said, if you have the slightest interest in politics or legal processes this book will appeal.
Tim
I'm not sure the narrative Toobin suggests - the Bush team was ruthless, the Gore team was overly concerned with process and procedural fairness - was as clean as Toobin suggests, but the story of Florida is still compelling, even a decade removed.
Mary
Mar 04, 2008 Mary rated it liked it
Good account of the 2000 election. Just as painful to read as it was to go through it here in Florida. My rating may reflect that pain and not be as accurate as it could be. Lets hope we never go through that again.
zltg
Jan 08, 2012 zltg rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics, history
Toobin has a talent to produce gripping drama and to offer precise analysis of complex issues. The epic battle is depicted with excellent story-telling skills and clarity (and fairness in my opinion).
B
Jan 18, 2011 B rated it really liked it
Toobin tells a good legal story, and there were more strange elements to this sad tale than you can count. Florida was a mess.
Barbara
Aug 20, 2007 Barbara rated it really liked it
Toobin is an excellent writer. This was such a nadir in the history of the U.S. It still grieves me to think about it.
Eric DeGroot
Nov 22, 2016 Eric DeGroot rated it really liked it
Very detailed. Would have rated 3.5 if had the option.
  • The Selling of the President
  • The Challenge: Hamdan v. Rumsfeld and the Fight Over Presidential Power
  • All on Fire: William Lloyd Garrison and the Abolition of Slavery
  • The Big Con: The True Story of How Washington Got Hoodwinked and Hijacked by Crackpot Economics
  • Supreme Conflict: The Inside Story of the Struggle for Control of the United States Supreme Court
  • Flagrant Conduct: The Story of Lawrence v. Texas
  • Nature's Perfect Food: How Milk Became America's Drink
  • Freedom for the Thought That We Hate: A Biography of the First Amendment
  • Shadow: Five Presidents and the Legacy of Watergate
  • Case Closed: Lee Harvey Oswald and the Assassination of JFK
  • Poisoned: The True Story of the Deadly E. Coli Outbreak That Changed the Way Americans Eat
  • Angler: The Cheney Vice Presidency
  • Rendezvous with Destiny: Ronald Reagan and the Campaign That Changed America
  • The Betrayal of America: How the Supreme Court Undermined the Constitution & Chose Our President
Lawyer, author, legal correspondent for CNN and The New Yorker magazine.
More about Jeffrey Toobin...