Start by marking “Crick Crack, Monkey” as Want to Read:
Crick Crack, Monkey

Crick Crack, Monkey

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  338 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A revealing novel of childhood about Tee who is being made socially acceptable by her Aunt Beatrice so that she can cope with the caste system of Trinidad.
Published February 21st 2001 by Heinemann Educational Books (first published January 1st 1970)

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean RhysBreath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge DanticatThe Dew Breaker by Edwidge DanticatIsland Beneath the Sea by Isabel AllendeThe Farming of Bones by Edwidge Danticat
Caribbean Literature
73rd out of 299 books — 111 voters
Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi DangarembgaAya by Marguerite AbouetThe Book of Not by Tsitsi DangarembgaAya of Yop City by Marguerite AbouetClimbing the Stairs by Padma Venkatraman
Postcolonial Young Adult Literature
23rd out of 26 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Jamie Gonzalez
This book is by far one of the best books I have read. I feel a back story conning on but I will spare you from it. I first read this book in my second year of high school at Edward p Yorke.
Jen
honestly I liked this book a lot, I felt like I could relate to tee and her struggle of being caught between western and nonwestern cultures. idk. this is a pretty easy book to read in terms of the text but the issues it confronts are a lot more difficult imo - like I finished it and I just felt sad for her and for tantie and in general the whole system, the idea of never belonging to either culture and wanting to escape but we as readers know she really can't

also this book did a really good jo
Stephanie Folarin
Tee is a child trapped between two worlds, the haves and the have nots. Her father emigrated to England and his sister Tantie remained behind to help raise Tee. Tee’s mother is deceased and her sister, Aunt Beatrice, is left behind to aid in Tee’s upbringing as well. Tantie cares for Tee when she is young and then Aunt Beatrice gains custody of Tee during her formative years. Tantie fills Tee’s childhood with joy and simplicity. Tee is able to enjoy the world and the people around her without bi ...more
Saheeda
I remember reading this book back in 2007. Being a person of the West Indian heritage,(Trinidad and Tobago) i could have empathized with the characters through out the novel. I really sympathized with the main protagonist Tee. Her life was really a challenging one. Merle Hodge really captured the Caribbean spirit in the writing of this book and the scenes are really true to typical Caribbean life, so for all readers who do not have a first hand experience/knowledge of Caribbean life, Merle Hodge ...more
Kimoya Brown
this was the first school text book given to read, that I actually read and I'm glad I did, I enjoyed this book up to this day I cant believe I read it all to the end. that's how it good.
Kris
Short little book with a big message about social stratification.
Dana Aerys
Mar 16, 2009 Dana Aerys rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Caribbean Natives
this book is seriously a very good book. i love the use of creole in it... that is so different for what i am used to in a book. i really appreciate that. the story is so awesome and i can relate to the girl in so many ways. the drama with Tantie and Aunt Beatrice and the way how caribbean people try so hard to be american/english in the way the live, speak etc. it highlights all of this foolishness. the book makes me proud to be who i am for some reason.

outside of this, the story itself is very
Russ Weems
I really enjoyed the contrast between Tee's two childhoods in Crick, Crack Monkey. The life Aunt Tantie gives her is urban and lower class. Her life with Aunt Beatrice is urban, upper middle class, and Eurocentric. This contrast allows Hodge to look at race, gender, and identity in and interesting way. Also, the use of a child narrator who is often not fully aware of her situation gives the novel an interesting perspective. I enjoyed the style and subject matter of Crick, Crack Monkey.
Sally Whitehead
I first read this almost twenty years ago and absolutely loved it, but at the time I was wholly immersed in my own personal discovery of Caribbean Women's Writing.

My re-read was enjoyable, and I can still fully appreciate the coming of age of Tee and the conflicting duality of her upbringing in two very different settings. But it didn't grab me in the same way second time around.

Perhaps I will read Hodge's only other novel, written 23 years after this one...
Liz
This is one of those books that looks small and then once you get into it you realize there is so much meaning stuffed into every page. About a girl originally named Tee, it tells the story of her life as she travels from the home of her Tantie to the home of her Aunt Beatrice. In her travels she struggles to realize her identity and is constantly left with a feeling of outsider and other.
Sam Gilbert
This was my set literature book for Form 3. I like the synopsis for this book. I remember being frustrated while reading this book. The protagonist is so confused and I did not understand her at all. But then, I live a charmed life.
Amy
I was surprised that it was so good as I had to read it for a school assignment. It really portrayed the West Indian culture. Thumbs up to Merle Hodge!!
Raina
A book any true West Indian will thoroughly enjoy.
Shan
Apr 22, 2012 Shan added it
dunno
Kingkai
Kingkai marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Cassandra Obermuller
Cassandra Obermuller is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2015
Isha Ariel
Isha Ariel marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Darkowaa
Darkowaa marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
500 Great Books B...: Crick Crack, Monkey - Merle Hodge 1 5 Jul 14, 2014 01:42AM
Tantie and Tee's relationship 1 3 Mar 16, 2013 09:13PM
  • In the Castle of My Skin
  • The Dragon Can't Dance
  • Working IX to V: Orgy Planners, Funeral Clowns, and Other Prized Professions of the Ancient World
  • Harriet's Daughter
  • Can the subaltern speak? : Postkolonialität und subalterne Artikulation
  • Epileptic 1 [L'Ascension du Haut Mal, 1-3]
  • Crossing the Mangrove
  • Beka Lamb
  • The Book of Chameleons (O Vendedor de Passados)
  • Abeng
  • Caesars' Wives: The Women Who Shaped the History of Rome
  • Global Divas: Filipino Gay Men in the Diaspora
Merle Hodge (born 1944) is a Trinidadian novelist and critic.

(from Wikipedia)
More about Merle Hodge...
For the Life of Laetitia The Knots In English: A Manual For Caribbean Users Points of View: An Anthology of Short Stories De eerste keer: een wereldwijde verhalenbundel