Start by marking “Country Kid, City Kid” as Want to Read:
Country Kid, City Kid

Country Kid, City Kid

Ben and Jody may be miles apart, but they are two of a kind.

Ben is a country kid. He lives on a quiet farm, where he wakes to the peaceful sounds of cows mooing and birds chirping.

Jody is a city kid. She lives in an apartment building, where her mornings begin with honking horns and wailing sirens.

Their lives are nothing alike--or are they?
Published November 1st 2002 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Country Kid, City Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Country Kid, City Kid

Shel
Sep 07, 2009 Shel rated it liked it
Cummins, J. (2002). Country Kid, City Kid. New York: Henry Holt and Company.

Country Kid, City Kid shows the similarities and differences in the lives of Ben, a country kid, and Jody, a city kid, based on where they live. The focus is very much on their daily routines, the small differences between Ben and Jody's experiences and the underlying similarities. In the illustrations, Jody and Ben often wear parallel colors or items of clothing, which was a nice touch. And it's only a matter
Anayssa Pulido
Apr 15, 2013 Anayssa Pulido rated it liked it
This story talks about how life is like for a city kid, Jody and a country kid, Ben. They both have similarities and differences in their daily lifestyle, but are actually not that different from each other.The illustrations capture their life styles perfectly and we can actually see just be looking at the illustrations what some similarities and differences are which is great. This book would be good to teach a lesson on compare and contrast and also to show that no matter how different people ...more
Kelci Cox-Griswold
Feb 06, 2013 Kelci Cox-Griswold rated it it was amazing
Shelves: friendship
This book would be really good to use to compare and contrast. It is interesting to see the differences in the country child and city child's lives. I grew up in the country, and the kids I teach are all city kids, so it would be fun to use in my classroom so we could see how different our lives are. In the book the city and country child go to camp together and realize that they have things in common too, so we could really do a lot with this book.
Abbey Smith
I LOVE this book! What an excellent way to bring Social Studies, social skills, geography, diversity, culture and friendship all together in one book. I love that all students in my class would be able to identify with the country kid, the city kid, or maybe a mixture kid with a little bit of both. I think the illustrations are simple enough that students can understand the meaning and put a mental picture in their minds of how different the two children's lives are.
Erica
Jan 25, 2012 Erica rated it it was ok
I didn't really like this book. I liked it up until the two of them went to camp. I didn't see the connection between that part and the rest of the book. Did I miss something? It could have been a really cute book but I just didn't understand why the author started talking about camp after comparing their lives.
Traci Bold
May 19, 2016 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
A great picture book about two kids lives in two completely different settings. Shows their similarities and their differences. I like how the two are connected, finally, at the end of the book.

Written by Julie Cummins, illustrated by Ted Rand published by Henry Holt and Company.
#PB #countryliving #citylife #camp
Danielle Simmons
This bbok was a great read! There are two very different children and it goes through what they do in their daily life and how they are different yet similar. The two then meet at a camp and share all of their routines and they become great friends. Love this book! Semester II
Laura Carby
Feb 07, 2012 Laura Carby rated it it was amazing
What a great story showing the differences between the country and city. I like in the end how the two characters met at camp and planned on staying in touch! Friendship is always a great lesson to teacher!
Jennifer Ho
Mar 24, 2010 Jennifer Ho rated it liked it
I thought this book was good to talk about 2 people living in different settings. On each page of the book, each character talks about what they do in the places they live with one character living in the city and the other in the country.
Shannon
Jul 14, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I'm definitely going to use this alongside GILA MONSTERS MEET YOU AT THE AIRPORT to discuss generalizations and stereotypes in our first social studies unit. This might work well with Elisha Cooper's FARM as well, as it is a relatively recent book.
Alley Denney
Sep 26, 2012 Alley Denney rated it really liked it
This book shows how important diversity is with children. Even though these kids were of different ethnicity and from different areas of their city they ended up being great friends! Such a good book for children!
Jodi Santora
A good read-aloud for seeing and appreciating the differences between two people. A girl lives in the city and does everything differently that a boy who lives on a farm in the country. Although their lives are very different, they meet up and become friends at a summer camp.
Macy Morrison
Good book to show the difference in city and county living.
Chelsea Kimmey
Feb 06, 2014 Chelsea Kimmey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vacation, friends
The illustrations in this text guide the reader. This book could introduce a compare and contrast lesson to younger ages.
Beverly
Sep 09, 2015 Beverly rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
A very nice comparison of two different living situations.
Bonnie Shellhamer
Bonnie Shellhamer rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Pam P
Pam P rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2014
Anna Lin
Anna Lin rated it it was ok
Sep 15, 2013
Lydia Moses
Lydia Moses rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Taylor Hardee
Taylor Hardee rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2013
Aisha
Aisha rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2014
Mohammad
Mohammad rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2014
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2014
Savannah
Savannah rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2014
Nandee
Nandee rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2014
Kate Smith
Kate Smith rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Melanee
Melanee rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Julie Cummins has milked cows and climbed silos, ridden subways and lived in a high-rise. She currently lives in New York City, where she has a spectacular view of the Empire State Building, and vacations in the country, where she enjoys the lake views.
More about Julie Cummins...