Start by marking “A Pictorial History of the Silent Screen” as Want to Read:
A Pictorial History of the Silent Screen

A Pictorial History of the Silent Screen

4.55 of 5 stars 4.55  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  5 reviews
334 Page,Year by Year Pictorial History of the Silent Screen.
Published 1954 by H. Hamilton (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about A Pictorial History of the Silent Screen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pictorial History of the Silent Screen

D.R. Haney
I discovered this book at a faded movie star's house two years ago. The movie star, who'll remain unnamed, was having a birthday party, and I didn't know anybody there, so I focused on the bookshelf, noticed this book, took it out and sat staring at it until I finally forced myself to mingle a little. There's some text, but the book is mostly pictures, as the title says, and I found myself fascinated by all of these faces, a few of them photographed in the nineteenth century, so that, wanting to ...more
James
An invaluable reference. The best collection of film stills ever assembled in one book. While the book does contain some text, this is mainly eye-candy. It also underscores just how much of our film heritage is missing by all the pictures of films we'll probably never see.
Donnell
An amazing, and sad, fact about silent movies is that, beginning with the nickelodeons in 1908 until 1930--for twenty-two years, the silent movie industry was a ground-breaking, world-changing phenomenon. Yet from almost the moment sound emerged in movies, the silents were forgotten and have since been basically unseen. Yet much passion and effort and life force went into them.

This book provides a detailed--even if it still must be faint--image-- of what those years may have been like. It begin
Greta
My all time favorite silent film book. Not much text, but an enormous number of pictures. They are usually quite small, but are still a treasure trove. I think this was the book that most influenced me in my fascination for silent films. All those wonderful faces made me curious to see more. It's been wonderful through the years to finally see many of the films and discover the personalities that go along with the faces.
captain america
hundreds of words but many, many thousands pictures. another one i devoured when other kids were trading baseball cards.
Kathrine
Kathrine is currently reading it
May 19, 2015
MadelineHatter
MadelineHatter marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Crystal Johnson
Crystal Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Feb 21, 2014
Sakuna
Sakuna marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
A new pictorial history of the talkies, A Pictorial History Of The Talkies Screen World 1949 Screen World 1953: Volume IV Daniel Blum's Screen World 1965 (Screen World)