Start by marking “A Pictorial History of the Silent Screen” as Want to Read:
A Pictorial History of the Silent Screen

A Pictorial History of the Silent Screen

4.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
334 Page,Year by Year pictoriaj History of the Silent Screen.
Published 1954 by H. Hamilton (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about A Pictorial History of the Silent Screen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pictorial History of the Silent Screen

D.R. Haney
Feb 16, 2016 D.R. Haney rated it it was amazing
I discovered this book at a faded movie star's house two years ago. The movie star, who shall remain unnamed, was having a birthday party, and I didn't know anybody there, so I focused on the bookshelf, took down this book, and sat staring at it until I finally forced myself to mingle a little. There's some text, but the book is mostly pictures, as the title says, and I found myself fascinated by all these faces, a few of them photographed in the nineteenth century, so that, wanting to know more ...more
James
Aug 27, 2008 James rated it it was amazing
An invaluable reference. The best collection of film stills ever assembled in one book. While the book does contain some text, this is mainly eye-candy. It also underscores just how much of our film heritage is missing by all the pictures of films we'll probably never see.
Donnell
Aug 09, 2015 Donnell rated it liked it
An amazing, and sad, fact about silent movies is that, beginning with the nickelodeons in 1908 until 1930--for twenty-two years, the silent movie industry was a ground-breaking, world-changing phenomenon. Yet from almost the moment sound emerged in movies, the silents were forgotten and have since been basically unseen. Yet much passion and effort and life force went into them.

This book provides a detailed--even if it still must be faint--image-- of what those years may have been like. It begin
Greta
Nov 25, 2009 Greta rated it it was amazing
My all time favorite silent film book. Not much text, but an enormous number of pictures. They are usually quite small, but are still a treasure trove. I think this was the book that most influenced me in my fascination for silent films. All those wonderful faces made me curious to see more. It's been wonderful through the years to finally see many of the films and discover the personalities that go along with the faces.
captain america
May 28, 2008 captain america rated it it was amazing
hundreds of words but many, many thousands pictures. another one i devoured when other kids were trading baseball cards.
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Karin
Karin rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2016
G
G added it
Apr 16, 2016
James Kruze
James Kruze rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Kitty
Kitty marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Anthony McGill
Anthony McGill rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2015
Kathrine
Kathrine is currently reading it
May 19, 2015
Camille Hall
Camille Hall rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Gene
Gene rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Tmargoodreadsnew
Tmargoodreadsnew rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2014
MadelineHatter
MadelineHatter marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Melody Alice Sheldon
Melody Alice Sheldon rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2014
Saskia
Saskia rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2014
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Crystal Johnson
Crystal Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Feb 21, 2014
William Roberts
William Roberts rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2014
Sakuna
Sakuna marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Michele
Michele rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2013
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013