Start by marking “Are You Running With Me, Jesus?” as Want to Read:
Are You Running With Me, Jesus?

Are You Running With Me, Jesus?

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  52 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Published 1967 (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Are You Running With Me, Jesus?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Are You Running With Me, Jesus?

Ted Mallory
Feb 04, 2014 Ted Mallory rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, faith, poetry
circa 1965, I categorize this book sort of as Episcopal Beat Poetry. I haven't followed Boyd in any of his other books so I wouldn't consider myself a follower or even a fan, I haven't scrutinized any of his theological stances or political positions- but I do enjoy this book.

It's refreshing in it's raw openness and honesty about doubts and feelings and modern social concerns, from race, gender and poverty, to movies, academia, and stress. These prayers are touching and remind the reader that Go
Ije the Devourer of Books
I came across the Revd Malcolm Boyd when I read a small book of poetry and prose on gay couples.

Malcolm Boyd died earlier this year at the magnificent age of 91. He was an Episcopalian/Anglican priest with a long history of human rights and civil rights advocacy stretching back to the sixties when he participated in the civil rights movements and freedom rides.

He came out in 1977 and became a spokesman for gay rights risking his position and career. He was ordained in 1954 and wrote many books.
Lauren Houston
Jan 06, 2016 Lauren Houston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first read this book I fell in love, I had already fallen in love with Malcolm Boyd because of the cover.The prayers are so simple but somehow so poignant. I really like the simplicity of what he has to say.
Dave Mackey
Jun 25, 2013 Dave Mackey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotional, prayer
I loved this book. The prayers are raw and honest. I've written a full review here: http://www.daveenjoys.com/2013/06/25/...
Angélique
Feb 04, 2015 Angélique rated it really liked it
These were some of the most authentic prayers that I have ever read. I found Boyd's willingness to go to God completely as himself even when he was feeling irreverent so encouraging for my own relationship with God. It felt validating to see someone else express the idea that our prayers need not be perfect Christian pictures of piety in order to arouse the interest of God. The confirmation that God can run with us even in our messy not-so-Christian feelings and ways of being was my biggest take ...more
Rita
Feb 03, 2015 Rita added it
This book had a powerful influence on me when it was given to me, at 15 y/o, by the family I babysat for. Thanks to Matt and Sue for this powerful book on being a radical Christian, and all the other books and music you used to be of help to me in surviving my teen years. Though I am not a Christian the way most of this country views what it is to be a "Christian". I still go to it, in times I need that push to keep going, as well as when I am struggling with my life's problems.
Jan 26, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I feel late to this party, but I am so happy I've arrived. This is truly life-changing. I really want to hear the Charlie Byrd record that goes with it!
Melanie
Dec 31, 2015 Melanie marked it as read-excerpts
I've picked this up and put it down several times now, so into the donation pile it goes.
Malcolm Boyd would have made a good blogger, and probably would have been great at Twitter. Alas, he was born 70 years too early.
Mindy Worley
Jan 25, 2008 Mindy Worley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
I loved this book. And can't believe I had never heard of it before...
Katie
Katie is currently reading it
Feb 09, 2016
Eric Fulton
Eric Fulton marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2015
Melissa Miller
Melissa Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Will Owen
Will Owen rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2015
Allan Andrews
Allan Andrews rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2015
Sam Smith
Sam Smith rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2015
Beatrice Drury
Beatrice Drury rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2015
j
j marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Elizabeth Gonzalez
Elizabeth Gonzalez rated it really liked it
May 07, 2015
Westlin Grey Sullivan
Westlin Grey Sullivan marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Megan Abramczyk
Megan Abramczyk rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2015
Paula Matuskey
Paula Matuskey rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Mary Deyoung-smith
Mary Deyoung-smith marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Chris Francis
Chris Francis rated it did not like it
Apr 21, 2015
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Heather Mae
Heather Mae marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
1520821
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

Malcolm Boyd was an American Episcopal priest and author. He was one of the prominent white clergymen in the American Civil Rights Movement in the 60s as well as the anti-Vietnam War movement. In 1977 Boyd came out of the closet, becoming the most prominent gay clergy person to come out. In the 1980s Boyd met the
More about Malcolm Boyd (Priest and Civil Rights Activist)...