Dead Reign (Marla Mason, #3)

Dead Reign (Marla Mason #3)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  741 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Death has come calling, and one woman
has what he wants most of all...

As chief sorcerer of Felport, Marla Mason thought she’d faced every kind of evil the magical world had to offer. But she’s never faced a killer like this. He’s dark, glib, handsome as the devil—and exactly who he says he is. Death—in the flesh. He’s arrived in Felport with a posse composed of a half-insa...more
Published October 28th 2008 by Spectra (first published 2008)

My Life as a White Trash Zombie by Diana RowlandRiver Marked by Patricia BriggsEven White Trash Zombies Get the Blues by Diana RowlandLa croix d'ossements by Patricia BriggsButcher Bird by Richard Kadrey
Best Daniel Dos Santos Book Cover
49th out of 52 books — 76 voters
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil GaimanThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest HemingwayFor Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest HemingwayAmped by Daniel H. WilsonPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
A Book A Week (2014)
87th out of 90 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Nicole Bunge
Have to say this is probably my favorite Marla Mason book so far. (I already finished 4.) Also, with that perspective, have to say this is beginning to look like a 'every other one is really good' set up... because #2 "Poison Sleep" was just... long, and #4 "Spell Games" was also long, and went and ended on a cliff hanger, which I'm still pissed about.

"Dead Reign" though, was a good, solid, ass-kicking book. What I like about Marla is that she has faults- and they do NOT help her- so she's real...more
Brooke
Dead Reign is a unique addition to the Marla Mason series in that, Marla isn't able to protect her city because she has been exiled. This being the case, Rondeau gets his much needed time to shine. Having Walking Death after you can't be a good thing, and Marla has to go to hell, literally, to defeat him. I thought that Pratt's ideas for Death and hell were very interesting. Hell can't really be a fiery pit of despair can it? Well, not in Marla's world. Marla's trip to hell gives us a much neede...more
Rebecca
This is the third book in the series, featuring Marla Mason, the head of all the hidden magic society in Felport, an imaginary East Coast city in the tradition of Gotham and Metropolis, though I'd say Felport is closer to the former than the latter. Aside from a new urban center, and the magic, Marla's world is pretty close to our own.

Anyway, in this book, Marla takes on Death, mostly because he steps in her territory and won't leave her alone. When having a character, even a powerful one, face...more
Rhonda
I got the ARC of this book as a part of the book goodie bag at the World Fantasy Convention in Calgary. After looking at the cover I never intended to read it. I mean, there was a hooded woman in a very odd posture and a cloak. It didn't really inspire my imagination. I read the back cover and rolled my eyes at the 'spunky woman meets and battles death' description. Then I don't remember how it happened, but I read a couple pages. And then a couple more. And then a couple more.

Dead Reign is a g...more
Kate
I really liked this book. I read it in the midst of general craziness, having to move out half the kitchen so it could be sprayed for bugs, and then retreating to the library so as not to breathe in the fumes, much of it on a backless chair.

I'm generally a fan of urban fantasy, and this is significantly better than average.

I like it because it is about Marla (mostly) and how much she cares for her city. She cares so much that she is willing to (view spoiler)...more
Reed
If you have enjoyed Pratt's previous two Marla Mason novels, you should enjoy this one--though perhaps not quite as much.

Sure it's a fun romp as always, though the third novel in the series felt a bit hurried, a bit "tossed off". Perhaps it's merely the fact that after the third time, I'm beginning to notice some of Pratt's tricks, repetitions, and quirks.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Marla's latest adventure, though I am a tad worried where the series is headed. When the main character has a ru...more
Bastard

After a few disappointing urban fantasy reads recently, Dead Reign by T.A. Pratt was a welcomed change. This is the third installment of the Marla Mason series, and it gave me just what I was expecting to get out of it. I'm glad I held back continuing the series after finishing up Poison Sleep a few months back, as reading Dead Reign when I did was just what I needed at the time.

Death has come to Felport, and naturally it's chief sorcerer Marla Mason w...more
July
Oct 10, 2012 July rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy fans (who don't need/want romantic elements)
Liked:
* Marla is a hard character to understand and I get why some people don't like her. She can be ruthless and even her friends sometimes find her difficult to get along with. Still, she is completely unique especially in the overcrowded urban fantasy shelves. Also, her ruthlessness and the distance she keeps from most people starts to be explained in this book. I really enjoyed being able to peer more into her past.
* I never know what's going to happen next! The plot is delightfully unpredic...more
Andrew
Marla Mason goes to Hell. It isn't exciting. The author has a talent for describing supernatural events in a bland, workaday mode that fails to bowl me over -- either with the protagonist's reaction or the sheer special-effects awesomeness of it all. I realize I'm picky about this sort of thing: I regularly excoriate Simon Green for putting in special-effects narration that's over-the-top but *bad*. Richard Kadrey fell down at the job too. For what it's worth, Kate Griffin hits it dead-on.

So, th...more
Jen
Marla Mason is not a nice person. She keeps her word, but if you mess with her, you're going down. In this story, Death - he doesn't SPEAK LIKE THIS, but he's apparently the real deal - tries to mess with her. It ends poorly for him, as we would expect.

Marla actually shows signs of character growth, which surprised me. I figured that it'd have to happen sooner or later, what with book 4 coming out in two months, but I didn't expect it now. It's subtle, but she's learning.

I like these books, but...more
Mortalform
[addressing Walking Death] "You only exist because of us," the Chamberlain said. " You are defined by us, by our cessation. When the last human dies you will die with her."
"Oh, no, no. I'm the death of all living things, from cockroaches to whales to kudzu to yogurt. Humans are just the most entertaining, because you worry about death so much, and think so hard about the aftermath. There is no afterlife for a field of corn, you know, when it's mown down. But you humans, you just have to go some...more
Ithlilian
Marla Mason is an amazing and riveting character made better by her decisions in life threatening situations that these books continue to present. I was totally surprised at the way this book turned out, it was much better than the jacket describes! Marla has something that Death wants and will do anything to get back. Marla, as we know, will do anything to save her city. Throw in John Wilkes Booth, a man who thinks he's dead, a lich, and a starstruck servant and you have a very interesting stor...more
Naleen
My husband asked me what I was reading while I was reading this. I fumbled for some sort of explanation and when I realized how ridiculous it sounded, it made me like these books more. They are just plain fun. And easy to read on a treadmill. I mean, really, what's not to love about an ass-kicking female protagonist with magical powers and her silly cohorts? This book has it all. Death (with a capitol D), marriage, violence, sorcery, a groveling manservant... Anyway, this series is my guilty ple...more
Casey
Another really good installment in this series!

My only complaint is that some of the plot twists I saw coming a mile away, but then, there were also explanations for the protagonist not seeing them coming, so I don't fault the plot for that.

I like this incarnation of Death. And actually the Underworld altogether. One of the reasons I enjoy this series so much is that Pratt is remarkably original. Something that's so rare with urban fantasy these days.
Michelle
I'm giving this one a four because for HIS books I loved it. I still don't think he is a great writer, I would be pushing it to say good writer, but I liked this one a lot. The idea of Death was cool and I think his books are wonderfully original. I enjoyed seeing more of Randeau (I think, her sidekick guy) and since Ted is dead Pen.... (Butler guy) is a good substitute. I also like that the new "good guys" didn't die like they always seem to do.
Tasula
I really enjoyed this 3rd in the series of Marla Mason, Chief Sorcerer of Felport, novels. In this one, Death comes to Felport and tries to take over. Lots of excitement. Marla is my kind of girl- pragmatic, prone to violence as the answer to almost everything, but fiercely protective of her city and friends. Highly recommended as a great series for UF fans.
Tammy
Marla in a fight with Walking Death for her city? That's an awesome idea for a book. I really enjoyed the way the book played out. Then at the end of the book having her brother come in? That's an awesome set up for the next book and an end to this book. I can't wait to see what the next book will bring. What perils is Marla going to get into now?
Jess
Dec 08, 2008 Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Anita Blake & urban fantasy in general
Recommended to Jess by: book club
I LOVE MARLA MASON!!!!!!!!!!!

I love all the magic. It's well thought out. Plot never sags, characters are deep and funny, a sense of place is well-established. I also like that there aren't really love arcs to the story. I am so sick of there ALWAYS being a love interest. It's refreshing to just have a nice action story with some magic in it.
Shaima
The Marla Mason series has hit its stride. This one is made awesome by the fact that even the bad guys think zombie John Wilkes Booth is a racist ass.
Daniel
I've been enjoying the Marla Mason series, and while I think the first book in the series had some rough edges, this one is very polished. They're not deep novels, but a fun way to while away a weekend afternoon. I worry that future books may get a little formulaic, but for now this series is going on my guaranteed fun list.
Topher
Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series is still probably my favorite of the modern fantasy / urban fantasy genre that's seemed to have become popular in the past 5 years, but, this series is moving it's way rapidly up my mental rankings. Well written, entertaining, and a good immersive atmosphere to lose myself.
Barbara
This dark urban fantasy series just keeps getting better and better. This time Marla tangles with Death himself, who comes to Felport to retrieve a family heirloom which happens to be in Marla's possession. And she thought that having to plan the Founder's Ball was bad.
Jeremy Preacher
Marla continues to be an entertaining character in a not-quite-typical urban fantasy series. The resolution was actually pretty elegant, and while these aren't exactly Great American Novels, I'd happily recommend them to fans of the genre.
Michael Thorn
This one was pretty cool. It had it's share of cheesy parts, but a couple of times I braced myself for the cliche it went in a different direction. I like Marla, but she's a bit of a Mary-Sue. A lot of callbacks to the first book which was nice.
Pete731
This series has definitely improved since the first book. The charactersarestill good,and the city of Felport is developing into a character of it's own. But the writing has improved, and it seems more coherent. Looking forward to the 4th one.
Cassy Beach
Aug 28, 2009 Cassy Beach is currently reading it
dag nab it.... i started this book and am about half way through but i didnt know this was the third one until a few days ago.... now i know why i feel like i'm missing so much information.....
Other than that this is a good book so far
Krista
This installment of the Marla Mason books was even better than the other two. The balance between bringing out the history of the main character and the action going on at the same time was great.
Kim
I didn't think that some of the book was as up to standard as the rest of the series,but the ending made up for that. Really want to buy these....
Justin samuelson
They made her into a "_____"!!!! the next book is going to be awesome, plus B is coming to felport... I love B!!! Sad that its the last book though:(
Sandra
I really enjoyed this one. In my opinion it is nearly as good as the first Marla Mason book. I found the story interesting with some nice twists.
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • Wild Hunt (Evie Scelan, #2)
  • Bad to the Bone (WVMP Radio, #2)
  • Bring It On (Retrievers, #3)
  • Vicious Grace (The Black Sun's Daughter, #3)
  • Shotgun Sorceress (Jessie Shimmer, #2)
  • Sparks (Anya Kalinczyk, #2)
  • ReVamped (Void City, #2)
  • The Warlock Enraged (Warlock Series, #4)
  • Digger, Volume Three
  • Doppelgangster (Esther Diamond, #2)
  • Phantasm (Zoe Martinique, #3)
  • Ghost Ocean
  • Break of Dawn (Vampire Babylon, #3)
  • Ghosts & Echoes (Shadows Inquiries #2)
  • Norse Code
T.A. Pratt is the pseudonym of Tim Pratt, under which he penned the Marla Mason books.
More about T.A. Pratt...
Blood Engines (Marla Mason, #1) Poison Sleep (Marla Mason, #2) Spell Games (Marla Mason, #4) Bone Shop (Marla Mason, Prequel #1) Grim Tides (Marla Mason, #6)