Start by marking “Jazzmatazz!” as Want to Read:
Jazzmatazz!

Jazzmatazz!

When a piano-playing mouse slips inside a house to get warm, watch out! In no time he has a whole family, then a whole town, making music. They're drumming, fiddling, singing, dancing, and jazzmatazz jamming!

Stephanie Calmenson's sing-aloud words and Bruce Degen's eye-dancing pictures bring music to every page.

What kind of music will you make?
Published January 29th 2008 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Jazzmatazz!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jazzmatazz!

Erin
Apr 28, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
This is one of those story time books I've been using for ages, but somehow never remembered to put on GR.

It's a solid toddler time book with a great jazzy refrain--"do dat, diddy dat, diddy dat, do." I usually hand out shaker eggs before I read this story and we practice chanting the refrain and shaking the shaker eggs. Segue into the Laurie Berkner song, "I Know a Chicken," and it's good times.

I'm more conscious than I would have been a few years ago of how _white_ it is, so I might consider
Amy Forrester
Mar 01, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
The weather is turning cold and a little field mouse scurries inside the house of a family, he runs through the kitchen and to the piano. He jumps on the keys and jazzy music rises from his dancing feet, “Doo-dat, diddy-dat, Diddy-dat, doo!” Soon all the animals have joined in from the dog to the goldfish, each one adding their own colorful and rhythmic addition to the jazzy jam. Next, the humans of the house are sucked into the music. Baby is tapping, Mama is clapping, and Daddy is whistling a ...more
Cherina
Oct 10, 2008 Cherina rated it really liked it
Summary: A mouse enters the house on a cold day. He runs across the piano and that causes the whole house to start playing different music. Everyone joins together and plays one great big song.

Uses: shared reading in grades k-2nd; independent reading for early readers; recommend to all students; great for teaching the poetry genre; possibly continue with the rhythm until each child comes up with a new "sound" (great way to incorporate rhythm and song into your classroom)

Literary Devices: rhymes,
June
Nov 15, 2011 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents, librarians, & teachers
Very popular at my SOE program. I had to promise to hold it for a parent for the following week since I had several jazz story times. 4/25/11

It was also popular this year at TPK. A parent grabbed it after the program so I had to order another copy for my Tuesday evening program. I hope to use it again since the rain kept attendence down for Story Time and plus repetition is good at that age right? 4/18/12

Well received at Story Time again. 4/24/13

Went over really well again at story time. I used
Paris
Dec 03, 2010 Paris rated it really liked it
Shelves: rhyming, sound-music
I would read this book to students in grades K-2. This book is about a mouse that gets a family and town to making music in no time. In this book, the characters are tapping and scatting. I would read this book to get students singing and moving throughout classroom. This book would be a good book to read to introduce different genres of music. For higher leveled learners, I would use NEA Jazz in the Schools website as a supplement.
Rebecca Ann
Jan 14, 2013 Rebecca Ann rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I loved the story in this book about a little mouse who brings music to a baby's house (although I hate Jazz, lol). The language had a really fun beat and was just overall charming. The illustrations really bothered me, however. They were too busy and pastel colored. I felt my eyes crossing. I'd definitely use this for a music story time.
Amanda
Jul 21, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
This book is funny because I heard my 3 1/2 yr old singing the ditty dat ditty dat ditty dat do to himself the several days after reading it. It's a little annoying to read, but catchy, which he picked up on. I love the idea that a mouse in the house would play jazz and start a household party as opposed to reeking havoc too.
Gail
Nov 11, 2011 Gail rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I'm not that big on these nonsense word/musical books but my four year old enjoyed it, so I think there is something to reading poetry and rhymes to kids. As an adult it is useful to remember that what appeals to us is different than what our children like.
Dolly
Jul 27, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We have really enjoyed Bruce Degen's work, especially in the Magic School Bus series. This is a short, fun story that is more of an improv jazz tune than anything. It has a refrain and some fun "lyrics" and the illustrations are colorful and playful.
Codie Gates
Jan 14, 2012 Codie Gates rated it really liked it
"Doo-dat, diddy-day, diddy-dat, doo!" I love this catchy beat. A little, cold mouse comes into a house and starts to play jazz. Soon all the animals are joining in and everyone is dancing. I love hose the colors intensify as the book goes on. Fun and catchy for all.
Tdavis
Mar 03, 2011 Tdavis rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Baby - Preschool
This vibrant musical book also makes it easy to follow the words on the pages because the colorful illustrations depict every detail of the rhyming words.

Early Literacy Skills:

Phonological Awareness
Print Awareness
Print Motivation
Vocabulary
Halli
This book was a hit in my preschool storytime, and I loved it too! The "doo-dat, diddy-dat, diddy-dat-doo!" jazz refrain encourages audience participation, and you can't help but feel that rhythm when you're reading the book!
Mary
This is the story of what happens when a mouse comes into your house—he plays jazz, of course! And soon the whole house is up playing and dancing along with him. The rhymes and rhythms in this book are great for phonologic awareness!
Amy Brown
Mar 09, 2008 Amy Brown rated it it was amazing
Fun musical book for babies and toddlers. Good storytime option.
Suzanne
Jun 09, 2008 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Fun fun!
Meredith
Aug 04, 2009 Meredith rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Pretty fun and jazzy, although I think a couple of the rhythms are a bit off. It made a few pages tough to read out loud. I really like how the pictures give a feeling of music and movement.
Paula
When a mouse scurries into a house and starts to play jazz music, other animals join in, one by one, each using his or her own particular talent.
Holly
Oct 20, 2011 Holly rated it really liked it
Toddler
J
Dec 13, 2016 J rated it really liked it
This fun book is all about people and animals making music. The book has a nice rhythm to it and some repetition which can be used to interact with whoever you're reading to.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 4/19/11.

Rachel
Oct 16, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
Another of DD's favorite. She enjoys all the different sounds the animals make as they play jazz. Cute book. Worth renting from the library.
Casandria
Jun 13, 2016 Casandria rated it liked it
Maybe....
S.j.reads
Feb 13, 2012 S.j.reads rated it really liked it
Cute story with interesting pictures. I like how the writer explains at the end of the book where the idea for the story came from.
Cassandra
Fun story to read aloud. We had my husband read this one to us, as he is so expressive.
Molly
Feb 15, 2009 Molly rated it really liked it
I liked the rhythm of this book and think it would read aloud really well. This would be great in a music or rhythm storytime.
Jen
Mar 27, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb, storytime, music, baby, jazz
delightful pictures. rhyming text. very jazzy and fun.
RHPL Youth Services
Nov 18, 2014 RHPL Youth Services rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
A good musical rhyme scheme book in which there is a catch phrase for kids to sing with you and different animals all play instruments.
Mary
Apr 08, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it
A story with a beat. Lots of fun for Music storytime.
Tina
Aug 13, 2008 Tina rated it it was amazing
This book is great Max loves it.
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
May 13, 2009