Jazzmatazz!

Jazzmatazz!

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  25 reviews
When a piano-playing mouse slips inside a house to get warm, watch out! In no time he has a whole family, then a whole town, making music. They're drumming, fiddling, singing, dancing, and jazzmatazz jamming!

Stephanie Calmenson's sing-aloud words and Bruce Degen's eye-dancing pictures bring music to every page.

What kind of music will you make?
Published January 29th 2008 by HarperCollins

Journey to Jazzland by Gia Volterra De SaulnierThis Jazz Man by Karen EhrhardtRavenshire by Ronda L. CaudillMysterious Thelonious by Chris RaschkaCharlie Parker Played Be Bop by Chris Raschka
Picture Books of JAZZ!
15th out of 16 books — 4 voters
Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin by Lloyd MossCharlie Parker Played Be Bop by Chris RaschkaThe Flying Orchestra by Clare McFaddenGranny Will Your Dog Bite by Gerald MilnesThe Phlunk's Worldwide Symphony by Lou Rhodes
Picture Books About the Art of Music
78th out of 111 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy Musser
The weather is turning cold and a little field mouse scurries inside the house of a family, he runs through the kitchen and to the piano. He jumps on the keys and jazzy music rises from his dancing feet, “Doo-dat, diddy-dat, Diddy-dat, doo!” Soon all the animals have joined in from the dog to the goldfish, each one adding their own colorful and rhythmic addition to the jazzy jam. Next, the humans of the house are sucked into the music. Baby is tapping, Mama is clapping, and Daddy is whistling a...more
Cherina
Summary: A mouse enters the house on a cold day. He runs across the piano and that causes the whole house to start playing different music. Everyone joins together and plays one great big song.

Uses: shared reading in grades k-2nd; independent reading for early readers; recommend to all students; great for teaching the poetry genre; possibly continue with the rhythm until each child comes up with a new "sound" (great way to incorporate rhythm and song into your classroom)

Literary Devices: rhymes,...more
Jen
delightful pictures. rhyming text. very jazzy and fun.
Monique Welch
Love this! I must get for my collection!
June
May 02, 2013 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents, librarians, & teachers
Very popular at my SOE program. I had to promise to hold it for a parent for the following week since I had several jazz story times. 4/25/11

It was also popular this year at TPK. A parent grabbed it after the program so I had to order another copy for my Tuesday evening program. I hope to use it again since the rain kept attendence down for Story Time and plus repetition is good at that age right? 4/18/12

Well received at Story Time again.
Paris
I would read this book to students in grades K-2. This book is about a mouse that gets a family and town to making music in no time. In this book, the characters are tapping and scatting. I would read this book to get students singing and moving throughout classroom. This book would be a good book to read to introduce different genres of music. For higher leveled learners, I would use NEA Jazz in the Schools website as a supplement.
Rebecca Ann
I loved the story in this book about a little mouse who brings music to a baby's house (although I hate Jazz, lol). The language had a really fun beat and was just overall charming. The illustrations really bothered me, however. They were too busy and pastel colored. I felt my eyes crossing. I'd definitely use this for a music story time.
Amanda
This book is funny because I heard my 3 1/2 yr old singing the ditty dat ditty dat ditty dat do to himself the several days after reading it. It's a little annoying to read, but catchy, which he picked up on. I love the idea that a mouse in the house would play jazz and start a household party as opposed to reeking havoc too.
Tdavis
Mar 03, 2011 Tdavis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Baby - Preschool
This vibrant musical book also makes it easy to follow the words on the pages because the colorful illustrations depict every detail of the rhyming words.

Early Literacy Skills:

Phonological Awareness
Print Awareness
Print Motivation
Vocabulary
Codie Gates
"Doo-dat, diddy-day, diddy-dat, doo!" I love this catchy beat. A little, cold mouse comes into a house and starts to play jazz. Soon all the animals are joining in and everyone is dancing. I love hose the colors intensify as the book goes on. Fun and catchy for all.
Dolly
Jul 27, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We have really enjoyed Bruce Degen's work, especially in the Magic School Bus series. This is a short, fun story that is more of an improv jazz tune than anything. It has a refrain and some fun "lyrics" and the illustrations are colorful and playful.
Gail
I'm not that big on these nonsense word/musical books but my four year old enjoyed it, so I think there is something to reading poetry and rhymes to kids. As an adult it is useful to remember that what appeals to us is different than what our children like.
Mary
This is the story of what happens when a mouse comes into your house—he plays jazz, of course! And soon the whole house is up playing and dancing along with him. The rhymes and rhythms in this book are great for phonologic awareness!
Meredith
Pretty fun and jazzy, although I think a couple of the rhythms are a bit off. It made a few pages tough to read out loud. I really like how the pictures give a feeling of music and movement.
Rachel
Another of DD's favorite. She enjoys all the different sounds the animals make as they play jazz. Cute book. Worth renting from the library.
Paula
When a mouse scurries into a house and starts to play jazz music, other animals join in, one by one, each using his or her own particular talent.
S.j.reads
Cute story with interesting pictures. I like how the writer explains at the end of the book where the idea for the story came from.
Molly
I liked the rhythm of this book and think it would read aloud really well. This would be great in a music or rhythm storytime.
Amy Brown
Fun musical book for babies and toddlers. Good storytime option.
Mary
A story with a beat. Lots of fun for Music storytime.
Tina
"music, mouse, rhyming verse, onomatopoeia"
Tina
This book is great Max loves it.
Meg
Meg added it
Jul 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Little Mermaid (Disney Princess) Late for School! Dinner at the Panda Palace The Principal's New Clothes Walt Disney Presents The Little Mermaid