Start by marking “Breach of Promise (Nina Reilly #4)” as Want to Read:
Breach of Promise (Nina Reilly #4)

Breach of Promise (Nina Reilly #4)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,264 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
Fans who have been eagerly awaiting the next installment in the Nina Reilly series won't be disappointed by Perri O'Shaughnessy's latest, Breach of Promise. The creator of Invasion of Privacy and Obstruction of Justice has crafted a tale of love and murder gone awry in the material age.

Palimony--birds do it, bees do it, Liberace's heirs do it, and so do Mike and Lindy Mar

Published June 8th 1998 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Breach of Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breach of Promise

J. Ewbank
This book by O'Shaughnessy was a good read. I could tell that it was not going to turn out like it appeared to because there were too many pages left in the book and wondered what was further going to happen. This is a series book and one that will make you want to read the other books in the series because it is worth the time to read. Enjoyed it.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesleyi's Wars" and "To Whom It May Concern"
Yvonne Finn
Feb 07, 2015 Yvonne Finn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book did not disappoint! It is as exciting as promised.
As a relationship expert it was the romantic love aspect of the
story that peaked my interest.
I do love reading about the law and how is is applied and sometimes misapplied.

But oh this story showed how love can be battered and bruised and left for dead and yet be revived to go on when the couple is willing to set their egos aside and recapture the very things that first drew them together.
Breach of Promise is ultimately a love story in
Stormcloud
The reason for the lower rating is mostly plot preference. I like it when the heroes win BIG. If not for that ending, I would probably rate it four stars.

((minor spoilers?))

It started slow and boring, and then it was enthralling . . . and then it dragged a little, but the suspense WAS KILLING ME, and then because this was written in the nineties, there was an ending that stripped the heroine of all the important gains, because we MUUUUUUST be humble and not win. I mean, we're the heroes. We must
Ed
Feb 15, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#4 in the Nina Reilly series.

Lake Tahoe lawyer Nina Reilly series - Wealthy, aggressive Mike Markov tells his wife, Lindy, that he's leaving her to marry a young employee of the business Mike and Lindy have built together. Lindy, a maverick not averse to keeping secrets from her own attorney, hires O'Reilly to bring suit against Mike for half the business - reckoned in millions. Mike hires a shark, Jeffrey Riesner, who makes O'Reilly feel so outclassed that she hires smooth co-counsel Winston Re
Patsy
Apr 26, 2015 Patsy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In glitzy Lake Tahoe, couples break up every day. But few are as successful as Lindy and Mike Markov, who built a $200-million business togetherâbefore Mike took up with a younger woman. Now he's claiming he doesn't owe Lindy a dime since they never married.

Attorney Nina Reilly, struggling to make a living in her one-woman office and raise a young son alone, agrees to take Lindy's case. Nina knows winning is a long shot, even with a brilliant jury consultant and a palimony expert on her side. It
Robert Scott
May 23, 2015 Robert Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nina is hired to get a woman's share of the company that she has helped found & develop with the man who introduces her as his wife although they never married. In fact a large part of the time her divorce had not been finalized. They win the jury trial after one of the original jurors has an allergic reaction to his lunch & has to be replaced by an alternate. However Nina finds that one of her cohorts has doctored that lunch & the trial is reversed. And before the reversal, the youn ...more
Kristen
Jun 23, 2008 Kristen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
slow and unexciting.
Barbara Mitchell
I had promised myself I would read this series in order. Unfortunately though, the library didn't have Obstruction of Justice (#3) and I just can't wait to read another Nina Reilly book so I went ahead with Breach of Promise (#4). This is like comfort food for me, I settle down comfortably and lose myself in the story with both familiar and new characters that seem like real people.

Reilly is a struggling lawyer raising a son, Bob, alone in Lake Tahoe. She settled there because her brother and hi
Christina
This is the third in a series about an attorney in Lake Tahoe that I have read. I think I am suffering from character fatigue. Or, maybe just stupid woman protagonist fatigue? I liked the premise of the case she took on this time - murder was not the main focus, this time it was a palimony suit so a civil case vs criminal. I still love the characters around Nina, but, I am not quite sure about Nina anymore. I was also not thrilled with her client Lydia. There was just too much stupid female as v ...more
Pamela Beason
I enjoy the legal mysteries written by these authors. As a private investigator, I sympathize with attorney Nina Reilly when she deals with crazy clients, but I sometimes find PI Paul van Wagoner's entitled attitude annoying. This book is a fascinating study of the legal issues that can erupt between partners who are not married; every woman should read it.
Sharon
Sep 30, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Mike and Lindy Markov, one of the Lake Tahoe area's wealthiest couples, have a big public breakup, mid-level attorney Nina Reilly winds up with the divorce case -- which has one problem. The Markovs were never legally married. As the court case unfolds, even more complications arise ... and soon it becomes apparent that someone is willing to kill in order to get the verdict they want.

Throw in more complications on Nina's home front and you've got the plot of "Breach of Promise."

Overall, it
Marianne
Quite a story. Lawyer Nina O'Reilly faces her toughest test yet in a civil lawsuit involving millions of dollars. Greed, betrayal, murder, lost love, and lots of debt are all twisted up in one big mess.

A few important IMO, little details left hanging, which detracted from an otherwise good read.
Tracy Snell
I liked this book because it was somewhat different than the previous Perri O'Shaughnessy books. I'm not sure how I felt about all of the uncertainty at the end of the book, but then again, that made it much more realistic. Nina has to think about the decisions she made in her career and personal life and deal with the consequences of those decisions, for good or for ill.
Jeanne
Sep 23, 2012 Jeanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
This is the fourth book in the Nina Reilly series by this sister writing team. The relevant case is actually a palimony case. Mike and Lindy Markov are an extremely wealthy Tahoe couple who, as it turns out, aren't actually married. Mike succumbs to what appears to be a mid-life crisis by kicking Lindy out with nothing and moving in a much younger, more beautiful employee, Rachel. Left with nothing, Lindy hires Nina to pursue her interests. Once again, there are twists and turns. There is a bit ...more
Julie
Jan 05, 2015 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nina Reilly Esq. set in Lake Tahoe. I've read some other books in this series before. The storyline seems a bit tedious in places, but the final plot twists were interesting.
Lynda
Mar 29, 2016 Lynda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, easy read. I pretty much read it in one (long) sitting, on an 18-hour airplane flight. My first book by these two sisters, and I'll look for more books by them.
Angie Bell
Apr 09, 2014 Angie Bell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome book! I never saw the ending coming and it was a really great one too! I can't wait to read some more of this series.
Michelle Hanson
Oct 21, 2015 Michelle Hanson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Started reading this.. and half way thru realized I already read it.. lol.. but it was good enough to finish..
Ceejay Mirabueno
Apr 03, 2014 Ceejay Mirabueno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this legal triller sets me in the adventure of struggling lawyer. great heroine-Nina
Faye Hope
Oct 08, 2015 Faye Hope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the books of hers I have read. Would read more by her.
Vixen201
May 10, 2014 Vixen201 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a freaking disappointment !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dorothy Clark
Mar 07, 2015 Dorothy Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well done. Nina Reilly is a very likable heroine.
Mary
Last book Mimi was reading when she passed
Marshall Thornton
Jan 09, 2016 Marshall Thornton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily Erdmann
From the beginning Breach of Promise by Perri O'Shaughnessy kept me intrigued and entertained. I thought it was interesting that part of the book was about the jury deliberating. However, when it got to the end I feel like the story got away from itself and got a little extreme compared to the rest of the book. I liked it, but I doubt I would read it again.
Mar 17, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book done. This time, billionaires Mike and Lindsy Marcov are not having a good time together. After Mike dumps Lindsy for a younger women, Lindsy just doesn't know what to do. Turning to Nina for help, Nina thinks this is the big case. IF Lindsy wins, Nina could get a lot of money. But there is one slight, well very big problem. Mike and Lindsy never got married. And all the papers, deeds, etc. are in Mike's name. How can Nina win with practically nothing in Lindsy's favor? A very ...more
Nicole
Feb 01, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Unexpected ending. Always a good thing.
Margaret Huggins
Very good book !
Bill
Jan 26, 2014 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story with lots of twists that kept it interesting.
Eva
Sep 07, 2014 Eva marked it as didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
the courtcase was so boring I couldn't hold my interest.
  • Irresistible Impulse (Butch Karp, #9)
  • Naked Justice (Ben Kincaid, #6)
  • Suspicion of Deceit (Gail Connor/Anthony Quintana, #3)
  • Harm's Way (Alan Gregory, #4)
  • Marked Man (Victor Carl, #6)
  • The Undertaker's Widow
  • The Prosecution
  • The Disappearance (Luke Garrison, #1)
  • Remember Me, Irene (Irene Kelly #4)
  • Desert Shadows (A Lena Jones Mystery #3)
  • The First Victim (Boldt/Matthews, #6)
  • The Last Hostage
  • The Jury (Paul Madriani, #6)
Perri O’Shaughnessy is the pen-name for two people, Pamela and Mary O’Shaughnessy, sisters. The authors' pseudonym is an homage to Perry Mason, the man who never met a guilty client, and a melding of their two first names, Pamela and Mary. O’Shaughnessy is their paternal family name.

They are the authors of eleven bestselling Nina Reilly novels as well as a collection of short crime fiction, Sinist
More about Perri O'Shaughnessy...

Nina Reilly (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Motion to Suppress (Nina Reilly, #1)
  • Invasion of Privacy (Nina Reilly #2)
  • Obstruction of Justice (Nina Reilly, #3)
  • Acts of Malice (Nina Reilly #5)
  • Move to Strike (Nina Reilly #6)
  • Writ of Execution (Nina Reilly #7)
  • Unfit to Practice (Nina Reilly #8)
  • Presumption of Death (Nina Reilly, #9)
  • Unlucky in Law (Nina Reilly #10)
  • Case of Lies (Nina Reilly #11)