Start by marking “Earthquack!” as Want to Read:
Earthquack!

Earthquack!

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Henny Penny's sky-is-falling tale has been retold often enough that few probably even remember its source material--but that doesn't stop another retread, this one surprisingly conservative in its story-telling liberties, by Margie Palatini (The Web Files) and dignified illustrator Barry Moser.

Little Chucky Ducky was just drying off from a swim when he "heard the ground g

Turtleback, 28 pages
Published July 1st 2005 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about Earthquack!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earthquack!

Cheryl
Oh the wordplay, the puns and the onomatopoeia and the alliteration! Oh the pictures, the exuberance and the use of space and the design and the visual puns and the expressions on the critters faces! And the story itself, with it's surprise ending.... Wow.

Even the toddlers can point to the duck, the chicken, etc, whereas older children will like the story, and big kids and grown-ups will find it joyful enough to read over and over again. Consider buying this if you have kids or grands.

I do lov...more
Amy
Jan 13, 2012 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Cheryl
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
I really liked this book! It was clever, funny, creative, and a fun retelling of the classic Chicken Little. I loved the wordplay, the unexpected ending, and I loved the characters (especially Brewster Rooster and "Herman Ermine"). I was expecting this book to be aimed at younger kids. After all, it stars a duckling and it has "quack" in the title. After reading Earthquack, however, I really think the richness of this story is likely to be best appreciated by adults.

Not that kids won't enjoy thi...more
Connie
I'm a more-or-less fan of Palatini. The stuff of hers I like, I love. The stuff of hers I'm so-so about... well, it's just apathy all around. *shrugs*

But this one was just $2, so I picked up a copy and crossed my fingers.

It's not my *favorite* of her books (that'd be Lousy Rotten Stinkin' Grapes), but it's sure a good one! This is a funny, punny variation on Chicken Little, with earthquakes instead of acorns and ducks instead of chicks. It *does* have Palatini's standard sarcasm-laden characters...more
Betty-Ann
The traditional story of Henny Penny and the falling sky get a twist in this story featuring Chucky Ducky and an earthquake. Ms. Palatini uses great word choice to describe this scary event: “He heard the ground grumble. He felt the ground rumble. And then, with a stumble, Chucky Ducky went down in a tumble!” So he gets up, unruffled his feathers and off he goes to warn all his friends. Lucy Goosey, Brewster Rooster, Iggy Piggy, and the rest of the barnyard gang runs for cover. Meanwhile, the we...more
Sandi Roe
This book is sort of a spin off of Chicken Little. We used this book as a flannel board story for one of our summer story times. It went over very well.
Matthew
Though this story is at times a mouthful and at other times a tongue twister, throughout the entire story you'll stay laughing. All the clever wordplay that seems to by a hallmark of Margie Palatini's work is present in this clever nod to Chicken Little. This isn't some fractured retelling though. Oh no, this is all new story featuring a new cast of needlessly frightened barnyard animals. Given the choice between the two cases of livestock hysteria, I refer this one. You will too. Give it a read...more
Jennie Park
This is another great children's book that would be great for a read-a-loud. There are so many rhyming schemes on every page, it would be a fun lesson to compare and contrast this story to a poem.It also has a lot repetition and reiterates a lot of the points in the story. This is helpful for children in younger grades and English Language Learners especially when first learning how to read. It will help them recognize letters and words they already know or are learning.
Jim
nice art.
however, the duck feels an earthquake and warns the other animals, they feel it also ("i know what i know, i felt what i felt" it says). and at the end of the book is told NO you're wrong. even though you felt it and we felt it, you're wrong. problem w/that is the duck was right and learned that adults may listen to you but in the end they'll screw you over and call you a liar. (this might be a good book to teach kids about cops.)
Kristina
This story is a rendition of Chicken Little. Chucky Ducky feels the earthquake and alerts his friends. Then the weasel tried to trick them into becoming his meal! But he is discovered as an imposter and it turns out the two mole were just looking for their cousin. SO the earth was not quaking after all. I would use this as a fun read aloud or as part of an author study.
Lynn
My son really enjoyed this book, and gives it the 5 stars. It is a very interesting spin on the old "Henny Penny" story. Also, he greatly enjoys Margie Palatini's Moosekitos: A Moose Family Reunion book.
Cami
If a picture book makes me laugh out loud, then I have to write a review.

Earthquack! is a new incarnation of the Chicken Little story (so yeah, you won't be reading this regularly), but it is packed with clever use of idiom, rhyme, puns and cultural references and I really got a kick out of it.

A very fun read-aloud book.
Brianon Sheffield
hilarious! this is a great read to introduce fractured fairly tales, as well as maybe broach the subject of earthquakes before a school-wide drill! it's a joy to read out loud, and the prose is knee-slapping funny. the kids might not get all of the jokes, but you will love them!
Nancy J.

A take-off on Henny Penny's "The sky is falling" with Chucky Ducky exclaiming "The earth is crumbling!"
Good for the repetition:
They heard the ground grumble. Then they felt the ground rumble, And before they knew it, they were all taking a tumble.
Jamie
The pictures are great. The text is horrible. I just can't get past all of the ridiculous rhymes. I guess that it is in keeping with the original "The Sky is Falling" theme (on which this book is based), but I never did like "The Sky is Falling" story much in the first place.
Sheri
Cute story with a duck thinking the sky is falling instead of chicken Little. He runs to tell the other barnyard animals and the wily weasel steps in to take advantage and have dinner. But the animals see though him. Read and compare Chicken Little and this story.
Kayla
Very much like Chicken Little and VERY repetitive (a quality I can't stand, even though I know most children enjoy it). It held my kids' interest and was sometimes amusing, but I really want to just take it back to the library and not have to read it again.
Cara
When Chucky Ducky feels the earth beneath him grumble and rumble, he runs to alert the other barnyard animals to the coming earthquake, but just as wily weasel is about to take advantage of their fears, the two sources of the rumbling is revealed.
Andrew Perry
This book follows a young duckling as he tries to escape from an earthquake unfolding beneath his feet. This book could be used to teach a science lesson about what causes earthquakes and their effects.
Melanie
A humorous retelling of the traditional "Chicken Little" story. In this case the earth is trembling and is believed to be the earth crumbling. It turns out to be as simple as moles digging a tunnel.
Michelle
fun take on the classic fable about Chicken Little and the sky falling. Lots of good read aloud elements--silly names, nearly-tongue-twister parts, rhythmic repeating text.
Sandybear76
tongue-twisting names. not an easy read aloud for a class but it would be fun one to read at bedtime. A twist on the tale of the sky is falling.
Shelly Koressel
This was similar to the Henny Penny or chicken little story where the sky is falling. Good for preschool up to 1st grade.
Brittany Lockard
This is a good book that talks about fearing the unknown. Similar to the chicken little story of the sky is falling.
Amanda Taylor
Fun book for the students because of pictures and animals. Doesn't really have much of a topic for them to learn from.
Lindsey Lubker
Chunky Ducky heard the earth quake. He was afraid. The other animals became his good friends and helped him.
Marci
I enjoyed the rhymes and play on words, but I felt a little disappointed with the weak ending.
Mrs. Tomczak
Really cute book. Great to use feet as earthquake sound with the K-1st graders!
Greta
A funny twist on Henny Penny with lots of clever wordplay. It was fun to read.
Lori
Great fun, especially read-aloud.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »