Start by marking “Water, Ice & Stone: Science and Memory on the Antarctic Lakes” as Want to Read:
Water, Ice & Stone: Science and Memory on the Antarctic Lakes

Water, Ice & Stone: Science and Memory on the Antarctic Lakes

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  10 reviews
“Nature writing of a very high order . . . a joyride for those who enjoy deep explorations of logic, human frailty and the laws of nature.”—San Francisco Chronicle

“[Bill Green’s] prose rings with the elemental clarity of the ice he knows so well.”—PEN committee citation

A classic of contemporary nature writing, this award-winning account of Antarctica is now available for t
Published April 1st 2008 by Bellevue Literary Press (first published June 6th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Water, Ice & Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Water, Ice & Stone

Bob Coats
This is a truly remarkable book. Green captures the excitement of scientific research in a beautiful, remote and challenging environment, in a way that is accessible to both scientists and non-scientists. He weaves together the scientific story with his own personal and family narrative. He has the mind of a scientist and the heart of a poet. The writing ranks with that of Loren Eiseley, Barry Lopez, and Terry Tempest Williams.

Some technical material (periodic table, geologic time line) is inclu
Doug
I passed up a chance to go to Antarctica for 6 weeks in grad school...and now I regret that decision even more. If I could give this book 3.5 stars I would...more nature writing than science, this is a descriptive account of a geochemist (yay!) working in Antarctica puzzling through some unusual lake chemistry. Yeah, I know, sounds thrilling...but the descriptions of the scientific process, the disappointments, the challenges of piecing together a complicated experiment in a forbidding landscape ...more
Eamon Earls
One of the best pieces of science writing that I've seen to date. I first perused Green's book around 2009, but I didn't return to read it until a few years later. I credit Green's brilliant blend of science, art, and personal philosophy--at least in part--for my decision to study geology in college.
Mr. Mullins
Great read for one that appreciates naturalist and scientific writing combined. I am biased on this as he was one of college teachers way back in the day. But he has poetic prose and captures the insight of scientific questions, obstacles and beauty in such an unforgiving location.
Ladiibbug
Mar 12, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nature / Science Lovers
Non-fiction - Library Book

2008 ed. of a 1995 non-fiction book. Bill Green is a field scientist who travelled to Antarctica to do research. Much more than a straight "science" book, this is part travelog, part science journal, and part philosophical musings of the wonders of nature.
Bill Wells
This is a book I have read numerous times since I first got it a few years ago. There is an almost lyrical quality to some of the descriptions of Antarctica. Bill Green gives the reader a different look at the southern pole while discussing some very interesting science.
Adela Dziekanowski
This is one of my favorite books. I buy it as a gift for people who I think will appreciate it as much as I did. It is a true story, but it reads like a well-written novel. It touched my soul.
Emily
Best science nerd book... Taking a while
Wanda
eloquent and riveting so far....
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
A
A marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Erin Miller
Erin Miller marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Helen
Helen added it
Mar 21, 2015
SarahGP
SarahGP marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Tom Schneitter
Tom Schneitter marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Krystina
Krystina marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Conor Flynn
Conor Flynn is currently reading it
Oct 10, 2014
Marco Young
Marco Young marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Zach Opsitnick
Zach Opsitnick marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Chase Szafnicki
Chase Szafnicki marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bill Green is a geochemist and professor emeritus at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Green first traveled to Antarctica in 1968 and began doing his own research there in 1980. To date (2011) he has been there nine times and has published many articles on the biogeochemical processes in the pristine lakes and meltwater streams of the McMurdo Dry Valleys.
More about Bill Green...
Boltzmann's Tomb: Travels in Search of Science Improbable Eden: The Dry Valleys of Antarctica