Start by marking “Water, Ice & Stone: Science and Memory on the Antarctic Lakes” as Want to Read:
Water, Ice & Stone: Science and Memory on the Antarctic Lakes

Water, Ice & Stone: Science and Memory on the Antarctic Lakes

“Nature writing of a very high order . . . a joyride for those who enjoy deep explorations of logic, human frailty and the laws of nature.”—San Francisco Chronicle

“[Bill Green’s] prose rings with the elemental clarity of the ice he knows so well.”—PEN committee citation

A classic of contemporary nature writing, this award-winning account of Antarctica is now availabl

Published April 1st 2008 by Bellevue Literary Press (first published June 6th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Water, Ice & Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Water, Ice & Stone

Angie
Jun 17, 2015 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-related
The overwhelming image I'm left with after reading this book is that of the sea breathing. Much of the science here is the taking in and giving out of various elements and molecules by water, be it in Antarctic lakes, the ocean, or rivers and the global water bodies in general. Green traces the chemistry of water and where it comes from and where it disappears to. He also paints the picture of the Antarctic he studies, its vastness and stillness and sterility.

The story is mostly science and poe
Bob Coats
Nov 16, 2009 Bob Coats rated it it was amazing
This is a truly remarkable book. Green captures the excitement of scientific research in a beautiful, remote and challenging environment, in a way that is accessible to both scientists and non-scientists. He weaves together the scientific story with his own personal and family narrative. He has the mind of a scientist and the heart of a poet. The writing ranks with that of Loren Eiseley, Barry Lopez, and Terry Tempest Williams.

Some technical material (periodic table, geologic time line) is inclu
Doug
Dec 31, 2010 Doug rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I passed up a chance to go to Antarctica for 6 weeks in grad school...and now I regret that decision even more. If I could give this book 3.5 stars I would...more nature writing than science, this is a descriptive account of a geochemist (yay!) working in Antarctica puzzling through some unusual lake chemistry. Yeah, I know, sounds thrilling...but the descriptions of the scientific process, the disappointments, the challenges of piecing together a complicated experiment in a forbidding landscape ...more
Eamon McCarthy Earls
One of the best pieces of science writing that I've seen to date. I first perused Green's book around 2009, but I didn't return to read it until a few years later. I credit Green's brilliant blend of science, art, and personal philosophy--at least in part--for my decision to study geology in college.
Bill Wells
Mar 12, 2013 Bill Wells rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a book I have read numerous times since I first got it a few years ago. There is an almost lyrical quality to some of the descriptions of Antarctica. Bill Green gives the reader a different look at the southern pole while discussing some very interesting science.
Mr. Mullins
Jun 02, 2012 Mr. Mullins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read for one that appreciates naturalist and scientific writing combined. I am biased on this as he was one of college teachers way back in the day. But he has poetic prose and captures the insight of scientific questions, obstacles and beauty in such an unforgiving location.
Ladiibbug
Feb 26, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nature / Science Lovers
Non-fiction - Library Book

2008 ed. of a 1995 non-fiction book. Bill Green is a field scientist who travelled to Antarctica to do research. Much more than a straight "science" book, this is part travelog, part science journal, and part philosophical musings of the wonders of nature.
Wanda
Nov 08, 2009 Wanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
eloquent and riveting so far....
Adela Dziekanowski
Jan 17, 2013 Adela Dziekanowski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my favorite books. I buy it as a gift for people who I think will appreciate it as much as I did. It is a true story, but it reads like a well-written novel. It touched my soul.
Emily
Jul 13, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best science nerd book... Taking a while
Gavin
Gavin rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2008
Ashley T
Ashley T rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Frankenbeer
Frankenbeer rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2012
Jim Saul
Jim Saul rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2012
Chris Dessert
Chris Dessert rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Gheeta
Gheeta rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2010
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2010
Nick R
Nick R rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2008
Leslie Gerberding
Leslie Gerberding rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2017
barbara
barbara rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
Karma
Karma rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2015
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2008
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
May 20, 2014
Fiona
Fiona rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2008
Meredith
Meredith rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2012
Patrick Roy
Patrick Roy rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2010
Brody
Brody rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2012
Bill Green is a geochemist and professor emeritus at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Green first traveled to Antarctica in 1968 and began doing his own research there in 1980. To date (2011) he has been there nine times and has published many articles on the biogeochemical processes in the pristine lakes and meltwater streams of the McMurdo Dry Valleys.
More about Bill Green...