Crossfire (Nick Stone, #10)

Crossfire (Nick Stone #10)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  636 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Bodyguarding a TV crew on the streets of war-torn Basra, ex-deniable operator Nick Stone seems certain to die when insurgent gunmen attack. Only the reporter's swift action saves his life.

When the reporter vanishes within hours, presumed kidnapped, Stone is asked by the Intelligence Service to find him. The trail leads from Iraq to London, Dublin, and ultimately Kabul - th...more
Published June 2nd 2008 by Corgi (first published November 1st 2007)

Hilmi Isa
Ini adalah ulasan buku dwi-bahasa/This is a bilingual book review

Nick Stone ditugaskan untuk melindungi Dom,seorang wartawan berita TV dan jurukameranya,yang bernama Pete di Basra,Iraq. Di dalam suatu peristiwa,Nick terhutang budi dengan Pete yang menyelamatkan nyawanya. Namun,dia terkejut apabila mendapat tahu bahawa Pete telah mati dibunuh. Tambah merumitkan keadaan,Dom telah menghilangkan diri.
Nick berazam untuk menjejaki Dom untuk mengetahui punca sebenar kematian Pete. Secara kebetulan, Y...more
Lucas J
Its a brilliant book!!! The main character is called Nick Stone and has to look after a TV crew in Iraq. The filmer is called Pete and the reporter is called Dom (Drac). Nick gets shot in a battle in a city after being shot in the arm. When he gets out of hospital he finds out that Pete had died and Dom has gone missing. Nick goes back to London and is sent by the MI6 to find Dom. He goes to Petes wife to find information and then to Dublin to talk to Doms wife. Later he knows that Doms wife is...more
Adam
It's important to note that living as an expatriate without easy or cheap access to books in my own language, many of the books I've read in recent years I've done so only because they were all I get my hands on, they just came my way, and were tolerable. This is one such. I'd never dream of buying it, and I don't think I'd bother reading another by this author unless there really was nothing else handy.
'Crossfire' was okay to simply pass the time with in preference to watching paint dry, but sh...more
Jay Andress
I enjoyed this more than the other Nick Stone novels I've read.

The action is of course grubbily authentic; it's far more Jack Reacher than Janes Bond. McNab is happy for his protagonist to be rolling around biting and scraping for his life because he believes that this is closer to the reality of low intensity asymmetrical warfare.

Nick Stone has an interesting, if relentlessly sardonic, view of the world. Sometimes this feels unpleasant (referring to Afghan women in blue burqas as 'pepper pots...more
Big Shell
In my entire life, I can think of another series that draws me in like the Nick Stone series - the manga series Black Lagoon. Utterly bizarre comparison on the surface, but coming down to it, they both just clicked the right part in my brain in terms of just how willing the writers are at doing their research, and how well they understand how people work.

The thing about the Nick Stone series is the bleak genuineness that comes with it. It's the honesty that everyone are thinking but few would a...more
Jamie Spiller
A.E. Shaw

Fifteen years ago I fell in love with Andy McNab's writing, and I lapped up the first five of the Nick Stone books with great glee. However, the end of one of them really bothered me, and I lost all interest in continuing. I picked up another a couple of years ago, and it didn't do much for me. So it wasn't with much hope that I picked this up in the holiday cottage, but the moment I began it I felt like I did to start with about McNab's writing - it's okay, here's someone who really, really kno...more
Tim Corke
Wow! I feel as though I've just spent the last few hours rummaging around in the hot and dusty backstreets of Kabul with Nick Stone rescuing a renowned TV presenter who got himself involved with some rather shady characters.

McNab's first hand military experience has certainly paid off to bring his very different literary world to life to avid readers around the world. I think I've read 300 pages in a couple of hours forgetting dinner, the bright sunny weather and numerous phone calls and am com...more
Kim
I picked this book up in a charity shop, thinking how I had enjoyed the series Strike Back on TV, I am so glad I did. I have no idea how authentic the details are, but I really enjoyed the story. I was gripped pretty early on and enjoyed the ride that much, it was over before I knew it. Will definitely be looking to read more...
Grace
I really liked this book and for me it was the best of the Nick Stone series I have read so far.

Some of the other reviewers have commented on the fact that the author uses a lot of acronyms and I have to admit they do take a lot of getting used to. Having read quite a few books by McNab I'm now used to them so they don't slow down the story or cause me to falter whilst reading. Perhaps that's why I enjoyed this book more than some of the others. In any case it was a good story and well told. I w...more
Lee
Cant beat a bit of McNab!
Mevlit Suleyman
Just finished book!!!! And if you have ever been interested in knowing or feeling what being in Kabul (Afghanistan) is like I would highly recommend this book! But this happens to be Stone's 10th outing, so starting at the beginning would not be a bad start!!!!! Enjoy
Marcin
Another book in the "Nick Stone" series, this one focussing on Afghanistan. The structure of the book will be familiar to McNab readers - some specops mission in the past, new dubious mission in the present, protagonists friends get killed, protagonist gets shit beaten out of him, somehow gets out of it all and is still in as sorry a state at the end as he was at the start.

The details of specops techniques and tactics are great as always, a jolly good read! :)
Chris Harrison
I like McNabs books but found this hard work, way too many acronyms (a glossary at the start would have helped) and the 1st 100 pages I couldn't get a grip on who was who and what each person was supposed to be doing. I then got into it and lost it again as it jumped about. The book definitely improves the further it goes on but the start spoilt it for me, the worst book of McNabs that I have read so far.
Richard Howard
Nick is on a job protecting a reporter and his camera guy, only to be rescued by the camera guy. When the camera guy gets killed and the reporter goes missing nick sets off to find them. After nearly clashing with the Taliban, being water-boarded, and kicking some IRA ass, Nick finally gets to give the good news to "the yes man" (and trainers and sundance).

Enjoyable not thought required reading.
Daniel Goh
The author being a former operator himself; this is as close as it gets to the real thing. Somehow I have a strong feeling this book is a fictionalized account of something that really took place and the author replaced the names for anonymity. A real good read with a healthy dose of sarcastic British humour.
Rob
Aug 13, 2009 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Lovers of Fiction / Action / War-Fiction / Andy McNab
One of Andy McNabs better books. As usual a weak plot and characters, prominent throughout the whole series so far. But fortunately balanced out with plenty of action from the very start, made all the better by the brilliant attention to detail, drawn from the author`s own experiences.
Kieran Delaney
This book is excellent - from a gritty uncomplicated lead who is well rounded and extremely well written to a multinational setting the story veers wildly from twist to turn.

It may be thriller by numbers, but it's written so well it's head and shoulders above the rest.

Tom Fletcher
This was my first Andy McNab book. I loved the way he paired fiction and fact, with a lot of action and excitement included. One of my favourite books I have ever read, exciting and completely different from any of his other Nick Stone books. Brilliant!
Rohan C
The first war war-on-terror book I've read. Brilliant depiction of the background and what goes on. Completely biased though, abusing the locals and similar, except the one good guy who helps him.
Oscar
Crossfire is a very entertaining book which shows how a group of solders are being changed from active duty to semi active duty by protecting a camera crew in a very hostile world.
Paul Chandler
Once again Andy McNab out does his pervious books. I really like Stone's humor in this one. I am looking forward to reading the next book!
Jim Whitefield
Another great read in the Nick Stone series. Couldn't put it down. Andy McNab always seems to be at his best and never disappoints.
Clint
I LIKE Nick Stone. I listened to an abridged version, only 3 cd's long, but reminds me why I liked the others I have listened to
Sam
Expected a fast paced book and this was a disapointment ,not enough action to keep me interested
Steve Egger
Excruciating dull. I didn't like the style of writing and probably will never read another mcNab.
Neil
This is one of the better ones in the Nick Stone series, a really good read.
Russell
pretty standard McNab story. I'm not enjoying them as much as I used to.
Emily
The torture made me sick to think about, but good read
  • The Increment (Matt Browning, #2)
  • Eight Lives Down: The Story of a Counterterrorist Bomb-Disposal Operator's Tour in Iraq
  • Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
  • Hot Blood (Dan Shepherd, #4)
  • Task Force Black
  • Dead Spy Running (Legoland Trilogy, #1)
  • Apache. Ed Macy
Andy McNab joined the infantry in 1976 as a boy soldier. In 1984 he was badged as a member of 22 SAS Regiment. He served in B Squadron 22 SAS for ten years and worked on both covert and overt special operations worldwide, including anti-terrorist and anti-drug operations in the Middle and Far East, South and Central America and Northern Ireland.

Trained as a specialist in counter terrorism, prime t...more
More about Andy McNab...
Bravo Two Zero Remote Control (Nick Stone, #1) Immediate Action Firewall (Nick Stone, #3) Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2)