Start by marking “The Mechanical Bride: Folklore of Industrial Man” as Want to Read:
The Mechanical Bride: Folklore of Industrial Man

The Mechanical Bride: Folklore of Industrial Man

This is the devastating book which first established Marshall McLuhan's reputation as the foremost (and the wittiest) critic of modern mass communications.The Mechanical Bride is vintage McLuhan -- so aptly illustrated by dozens of examples from ads, comic strips, columnists, etc., that those who were stung by McLuhan were hard put for rebuttals. It shows how sex was first ...more
Published September 28th 2002 by Gingko Press (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Mechanical Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mechanical Bride

Imogen
Sep 02, 2008 Imogen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marchall McLuhan hates everything, too, so why do I like him more than Slavoj Zizek? I will tell you why. Because I am petty, so when Zizek says, 'everything is stupid,' I say, 'whatever, duh.' But when McLuhan says 'the media is evil,' I say, 'yeah! I am the choir, preach to me!'
Thadd
May 12, 2011 Thadd rated it really liked it
A frightening book about tv, radio, print and other ads, ones that change our goals, alter the neighborhood, and elect our presidents. It's impossible to measure precisely how ads affect our lives, but this book tries. Let's face it, from now until the day we die, morning, noon and night, seven days a week, we're going to be bombarded by mind numbing ads. Escaping the effects of ads is tough if not impossible. This book might make you think more about it. That's a good start.
Stephanie McGarrah
The Mechanical Bride may have been an important book at one point, but now it feels very old.
Timothy
Apr 29, 2011 Timothy rated it liked it
Witty and entertaining but not one of McLuhan's seminal works. My original thought upon picking this up was that it was like an American companion to Mythologies by Roland Barthes. Not so much. The latter still fascinates, while this one is just cute. It reads at about the same level as Thomas Frank.
Carol Sill
Jun 16, 2014 Carol Sill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Move over Mad Men, this is the basis of so much of your script - especially the early episodes. Actually seeing McLuhan's early work in pop culture and communications makes this book a fantastic trip through memory lane. Mechanical Bride indeed! We are in the soup of it now, and have moved far along in the now old marriage-a-trois of mechanization, myth making and communications designed to sway the masses into a single buying machine: "They became what they beheld." Now, so many years after pub ...more
Mahmoud Awad
Apr 11, 2016 Mahmoud Awad rated it did not like it
"The Vanguard Press (1926–1988) was a United States publishing house established with a $100,000 grant from the left wing American Fund for Public Service, better known as the Garland Fund."
Self-explanatory. Don't pick up this book expecting anything less than the most painful 157 pages of wretched, petulant leftist claptrap you'd find outside of a community college. Honestly delivered more of a headache than Sorrel's Reflections on Violence, which I'd consider a major accomplishment.
Katie Wennechuk
Jan 05, 2014 Katie Wennechuk rated it it was amazing
First book of the new year! Marshall McLuhan uses commentary on ads to show how the best trained minds of our age have made it their full time business to get inside the collective public mind in order to manipulate, exploit and control. This generates a lot of heat but no light and keeps us in a constant state of mental rutting. AMAZING BOOK.
maha
Sep 30, 2012 maha rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy, media
كيف تجسد الاعلانات في المجلات والجرائد احلام شعب وثقافته؟ من مستحضرات التجميل التي تحوي وعودا بالجمال والانوثة، الى اعلانات السجائر التي تعد وعودا بأن تصبح أكثر رجولة، الى مستحشرات التنظيف المنزلي التي تعدكم بأنك ستكوني ربة بيت ماهرة لتسعدي عائلتك. احببت فكرة الكتاب وتعليقات ماكلوهن الساخرة
ولا أملك الا ان "أرى صوته" عندما شاهدت بعض الاعلانات الساذجة كلما عدت للوطن :)

Jenan
Sep 25, 2013 Jenan rated it it was amazing
As I was reading this book one thought accompanied me throughout reading almost all of it: was this really published 1951? The author's ability to unravel the mysteries of the human psyche in our modern time was truly amazing!
Highly recommended!
J L
Sep 08, 2014 J L rated it it was amazing
Decades later, the observations made in this title, written largely as a collection of essays, are still incredibly relevant.

For any artist in New Media, any Publisher, and any child of the digital age, it's definitely worth the read.
Jeff
Aug 08, 2012 Jeff rated it it was amazing
An absolutely fascinating view of our culture from a completely unique perspective. This is where McLuhan started his journey of exploration into how our tools, and means of storing and moving experience shape how we view the world; as well as how they extend our various faculties and appendages.
John Brooke
Dec 10, 2012 John Brooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to John by: John Salmon
Shelves: brain-works, myths
When I read this book I was working in the advertising industry as a young art director. McLuhan's clear perspective on the nature of the greed industry opened my eyes to see beyond mere seductive images and the mind machinations in the viewer. A breath taking work.
Todd Harris
Jun 03, 2015 Todd Harris rated it really liked it
Very interesting read on the culture of commerce and the disconnect that can happen between members of our modern society.
Maria Gambale
Aug 26, 2013 Maria Gambale rated it it was ok
Shelves: quit-it
Definitely does not stand the test of time. Couldn't spend more than 5 minutes with it.
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was ok
Sep 28, 2011
Chaosdroid
Chaosdroid rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2008
Charlie Stephen
Charlie Stephen rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2017
Victoria
Victoria rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Apostolos
Apostolos rated it really liked it
May 03, 2011
Greg Mills
Greg Mills rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2012
John Ohno
John Ohno rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
Allen
Allen rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2012
Corprew
Corprew rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2008
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2013
William
William rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2012
Elizabeth Meggs
Elizabeth Meggs rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2016
Phil Nichols
Phil Nichols rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2012
Thomas Riccio
Thomas Riccio rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2011
Liv
Liv rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Marshall McLuhan: You Know Nothing of My Work!
  • The Pyrotechnic Insanitarium: American Culture on the Brink
  • Nomad Codes: Adventures in Modern Esoterica
  • The Bias of Communication
  • The Uses of Literacy
  • A User's Guide to the Millennium: Essays and Reviews
  • The Eiffel Tower and Other Mythologies
  • Tomorrow Now: Envisioning the Next Fifty Years
  • Protocol - How Control Exists after Decentralization (Leonardo Book Series)
  • J.G. Ballard (RE/Search #8/9)
  • Awkwardness
  • Hamlet on the Holodeck: The Future of Narrative in Cyberspace
  • Technics and Human Development (The Myth of the Machine, Vol 1)
  • The Most Radical Gesture: The Situationist International in a Postmodern Age
  • Coercion: Why We Listen to What "They" Say
  • Selected Writings
  • Objectivity, Relativism, and Truth: Philosophical Papers (Philosophical Papers (Cambridge)) (Volume 1)
  • Nature and Madness
Herbert Marshall McLuhan, CC, was a Canadian educator, philosopher, and scholar — a professor of English literature, a literary critic, and a communications theorist. McLuhan's work is viewed as one of the cornerstones of the study of media theory. McLuhan is known for coining the expressions "the medium is the message" and the "global village".

More about Marshall McLuhan...

“Ours is the first age in which many thousands of the best-trained individual minds have made it a full-time business to get inside the collective public mind.” 6 likes