Start by marking “Patrimony (Pip & Flinx Adventures, #12)” as Want to Read:
Patrimony (Pip & Flinx Adventures, #12)

Patrimony (Pip & Flinx #13)

In this new Pip & Flinx thriller, Alan Dean Foster displays the brilliance that has made him one of the brightest lights in science fiction. In Patrimony, fans will learn more about their favorite redhead–with emerald eyes, uncanny powers, and a poisonous minidrag–than they ever dreamed possible.

“I know who your father is . . . Gestalt.” A shocked Flinx hears these dyi
Published September 30th 2008 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Patrimony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patrimony

Paul
Jul 31, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this, the penultimate chapter of Pip and Flinx's adventures (but not the series), Flinx continues his epic search for his biological father.

You've heard the expression 'be careful what you wish for' though, right? Flinx clearly hasn't but he's about to learn it the hard way. Does he finally find his absent dad? Weeeellll... yes and no. (I refuse to believe that last sentence is a spoiler.)

There are still certain factions who want Flinx's head on a spike (metaphorically speaking... I think) th
Bryan457
Flinx and his minidrag, Pip, go to the frontier planet of Gestalt, looking for his father. This is, of course, more important than saving the galaxy from the swiftly approaching hungry evil nothingness.

On Gestalt his skimmer is shot down in the impassable, snowbound wilderness by a bounty hunter looking to collect the humongo reward offered for Flinx's head by the doomsday cult.

I've renamed this "Flinx's Extreme Wilderness Survival Adventure."

When he does find the man he is looking for, and gets
Chris
Jan 09, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok
When I was a kid, Alan Dean Foster was one of my favorite writers. I enjoyed his sense of humor and felt like I was just getting the in jokes. Unfortunately, it seems I have grown out of him. Part of the problem is that he's been writing the same story in miniscule stages (drawn out over a few hundred pages each step) for decades. Presumably the work is also (still) targeted at kids.

It's a pity.
Cupcakencorset
Oct 04, 2010 Cupcakencorset rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
16. Patrimony by Alan Dean Foster – The latest in Foster’s Pip & Flinx adventures. A satisfying read, with one major question answered. The major disaster that’s threatening the galaxy is still looming, promising more adventures to come.
Jim Black
I remember reading Foster's The Tar-Aiym Krang when it was first published. At the time, I thought it was great. It led me to read various other adventures of Pip and Flinx.

Flinx was an orphan gifted with the ability to read other people's emotions. Pip is a flying snake known as a minidrag. The 2 have had many adventures during the last 30 years.

In this book Foster is letting Flinx discover the truth about his father. I picked this one up for that revelation. Unfortunately, either Foster is not
Lara
Dec 29, 2014 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-to-read, 2016
Flinx travels to a new world to get answers about his heritage, and along the way learns about a new species and has to survive multiple threats to his life (natural and homicidal). I was not so drawn into another nature survival scenario, and was kind of surprised that Flinx was so surprised with the news he received about his father. I guess his research had not been comprehensive, but rather purposeful. So, he missed certain details, consciously or unconsciously. However, the different entiti ...more
Matt
Apr 22, 2016 Matt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much entirely worthless. Complete retread of previous books in terms of basic structure. Plot revelations entirely non-shocking. Flinx continues to be effectively a sociopath written as if he were a sympathetic character—we keep being told how good he is, but then his callous disregard for the life of anyone who's opposed to him puts the lie to that description. This book cements for me the idea that this series is written pretty much purely for adolescent boys. Having moved a bit beyond ...more
Jessica
Mar 01, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it
Susan
Mar 22, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading Flinx and Pip since late grade school. I feel like I have grown up with this series, and so I have been putting off reading the final two in the series.

Patrimony was well done. As always, Alan Dean Foster created an interesting world with detailed native species.

Flinx is continuing his quest to find his father, and he runs into all sorts of obstacles along the way - partly due to a pesky bounty hunter and partly due to the weather and omnivorous predators. Pip saves his ass
Kevin
Jul 30, 2014 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This episode seems a return to grand space opera form like the early books in the series and is by far better than the previous faux-West Side Story volume. Herein is yet another enjoyable example of exotic world building, the main reason I'm following the series. Along the way some questions that have been haunting the hero and the readers for decades are finally answered - but not all! There is yet one more volume. In a way, I'm glad. I was a teen when the series started and now I am middle-ag ...more
Toni
Flinx finally discovers his true origins...my only problem with all these stories is that there's too much narration and not enough dialogue...perhaps if Flinx wasn't so solitary, it wouldn't be so. There's generally only him and Pip and some hunter trying to finish him off and not much face-to-face. I find myself feeling sorry for Flinx instead of wanting to find out what's going to happen.
Norman Howe
May 22, 2015 Norman Howe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Flinx travels to the planet Gestalt"," to try and locate his mysterious father. But many obstacles lie in his path. First"," there are the hazards of the planet itself. Then there are the assassins contracted by the Order of Null. And if all these do not kill him"," there's the threat offered by his own parent! What's a young superman to do?
Miles
Dec 30, 2009 Miles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
A decent enough read, but not Foster's best, not by a long shot. If I didn't know better I would think it was ghost written. Still, worth the time for those who've read and enjoyed the other books about Pip & Flinx.
DaNela
Pip & Flinx adventure story #14
Ronald Marcil
Pip & Flinx Adventures #12
Harry
Sep 22, 2008 Harry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed, seemed ho-hum.
Amelia
Jul 05, 2013 Amelia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amusing, light sci-fi. A nice easy read.
Jonathan
More of the same from this story arc. Interesting to find out some extra details.
Kelly Flanagan
Oct 26, 2010 Kelly Flanagan rated it really liked it
Wish I had read the other 11 first, but a good little novel. Kept me going for 8-9 hours. Definitly will be reading the first 11 eventually.
Heather
Jun 08, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
3.5 really, but I can't bring myself to round up for a book that I could summarize in five sentences, maybe fewer, without leaving anything essential out.
Craig
May 24, 2008 Craig rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
OK entry in Foster's Pip and Flinx series, but nothing special.
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2009
Sumiyati
Sumiyati rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2012
Ian Cruickshank
Ian Cruickshank rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2008
Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Masha Falkov
Masha Falkov rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2012
Kristina
Kristina rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Ellen Church
Ellen Church rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2017
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2012
  • Dragon and Judge (Dragonback, #5)
  • The Warlock's Last Ride (Warlock, #12)
  • Man-Kzin Wars 3 (Man-Kzin Wars, #3)
  • Plague of Memory (Stardoc, #7)
  • The Universe Against Her
  • The Nitrogen Fix
  • Balance of Trade (Liaden Universe, #3)
  • Phule's Errand (Phule's Company, #6)
  • Billy: Messenger of Powers (Billy Jones, #1)
  • Brother to Shadows
  • Skeen's Return
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Pip & Flinx (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx #1)
  • Bloodhype (Pip & Flinx #2)
  • Orphan Star (Pip & Flinx #3)
  • The End of the Matter (Pip & Flinx #4)
  • For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx #5)
  • Flinx in Flux (Pip & Flinx #6)
  • Mid-Flinx (Pip & Flinx #7)
  • Reunion (Pip & Flinx #8)
  • Flinx's Folly (Pip & Flinx #9)
  • Sliding Scales (Pip & Flinx #10)