Start by marking “Megillat Esther” as Want to Read:
Megillat Esther

Megillat Esther

Megillat Esther is commonly referred to as the Book of Esther: but there is nothing common about JT Waldman’s interpretation of this Biblical story. In what may be the world’s first religious, scholarly comic book, Waldman tells the epic tale of exile and redemption in graphic form.

When Esther, a Jewish woman, is made Queen of Persia she must keep her identity hidden, all
Published August 4th 2005 by The Jewish Publication Society

To ask other readers questions about Megillat Esther, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Megillat Esther

Andy
Dec 02, 2009 Andy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those interested in cutting edge Graphic Novels and/or Old Testament studies
Megillat Esther is brave, bold and everything else a comic book should be – oh and it’s a scholarly commentary on the book of biblical book of Esther. For too many the Graphic Novel is a medium to ignore or at least not take seriously. J.T. Waldman forces naysayers to recant by taking scholarly biblical study on the book of Esther and presenting it in a way no other commentary has been presented before.

Sequential Art used to communicate scholarly work will stretch the Graphic Novel / Comic Book
Flissy
Apr 17, 2009 Flissy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Whoa, this was very cool. A graphic novel based on scripture with a scholarly spin on it. The artwork was absolutely amazing -- expressive and exciting, with Hebrew text incorporated beautifully. The story of Esther is one of my favorites, and this book did a wonderful job keeping historical integrity in a very contemporary, creative delivery.
Joseph R.
Esther's story is set during the Babylonian Exile, when the nation of Israel was overrun, Jerusalem sacked, and the people taken into slavery. The Jews were scattered over the Babylonian empire and some of the king's men schemed to wipe them out. The king had his own scheme--get rid of his unsatisfactory queen Vashti by, in essence, holding a beauty contest. Esther, a humble Jewish woman, was one of the many brought to Shushan (the capital city) to be judged if she was beautiful enough to be que ...more
Bruce
Dec 31, 2008 Bruce rated it really liked it
JT Waldman’s version of the Scroll of Esther, the story behind the Purim festival is a daring and imaginative interpretation of scripture in a graphic novel. The artist incorporates the Hebrew text into the art along with the English narration and text balloons. The drawing and composition run the gamut from horrific to voluptuous as befits a tale of Oriental court intrigue and near genocide. As the story nears its climax the reader must physically turn the story around and switch from reading l ...more
Kathrin Stacked'n'Painted
Mar 27, 2010 Kathrin Stacked'n'Painted rated it really liked it
J.T. Waldman illustrated and re-told the story of the Book of Esther, in which a young Jewish woman is married to King Achashverosh. When she discovers that the king's evil right hand, Haman (*boo*), wants to kill all Jews, with the help of her father she persuades the king to change Haman's (*boo*) degree.

Now, the Book of Esther (or Megillat Esther in Hebrew) is part of the Bible that not everyone heard of, I assume. At least for me, this was a new one when I first started studying comparative
Greg
This is a wonderfully composed graphic novel of the book of Esther. The art is spectacular and it is respectful of both english and Hebrew writing conventions. The artwork incorporates the Hebrew and the book itself changes from reading left to right (as Western books do) to reading right to left (as Jewish books do).

The art is wonderfully done in black and white. JT Waldman did considerable research in making this text and it really pays off. A great comic to show off the potential for the gra
Hester
This book is full of incredible illustration. It made me feel better about the book of Esther because I had not realized that the part where it suddenly became murderous stopped making sense grammatically; they think some Helenizers messed with the ending. It makes me curious as to what the original ending was. Perhaps one day, archaeologists can answer that for us.

Reading this book made be feel disconnected from my heritage, but it also made me feel that that may not be a bad thing. I found par
Karla
Dec 16, 2011 Karla rated it it was ok
I am not great at reading graphic novels, but this one was by far the hardest I have ever tried to understand. It is written in both Hebrew and English and half way through you have to flip it upside down and read it from right to left. I found myself confused and did not enjoy it. I do think it is a fascinating way to write so I won't say I hated it, but I would not read another book like it. I am also not really sure of its value as nothing was clear.
Jerry
Aug 15, 2013 Jerry rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christians of all ages and fans of graphic novels
The graphic novel panels are fast-moving, allowing for a quick experience of the story of Esther. The entire biblical book is covered in verse-by-verse fashion. There is also a nice selection of references and rabbinical citations at the back.

The only drawback is the lack of color. It would be nice to see a new edition with some color incorporated into the panels.
dianne
Mar 06, 2015 dianne rated it liked it
this graphic rendition of megillat esther aspires to much & accomplishes some.
the art is somewhat interesting, but the printing is poor.
the commentary / elaborations are sometimes awkward & sometimes helpful.
a gimmicky curiousity, but one I'll hold onto & read again.
Joe
Jan 11, 2009 Joe rated it it was ok
Strange Hebrew graphic novel that reinforced my beliefs about violence and hypocritical religions.
Michelle Jones
Jul 30, 2010 Michelle Jones rated it really liked it
This is a very cool retelling of the story of Queen Esther in graphic novel form. Highly recommended if you’re into Purim, midrash or religious storytelling.
Molly G
Ingenious but bewildering. Which it itself acknowledges. ;-)
Lmkp
Jan 21, 2013 Lmkp rated it it was amazing
Visually stunning. An interesting way to explore history> I really really enjoyed it.
Sawy-o
Dec 25, 2016 Sawy-o rated it really liked it
Exciting visual description of a complicated story in Jewish scripture.
Steph
Mar 24, 2009 Steph rated it it was amazing
I loved this graphic novel. The story and graphics are full of little known (to me anyway) midrash about the scroll of Esther which made the story come alive before me.
Karla
Jan 12, 2008 Karla rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Great illustrations.
Merruchan
Merruchan rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2013
Tim Sallinger
Tim Sallinger rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2009
Casie Cobos
Casie Cobos rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2012
Bercilakslady
Bercilakslady rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2013
Jay LeVine
Jay LeVine rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2012
Toby
Toby rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2014
Jekyvsk
Jekyvsk rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2009
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
May 09, 2016
Patrick Walworth
Patrick Walworth rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2012
Sophie Kern
Sophie Kern rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2013
Neil Meyer
Neil Meyer rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2014
Robert Powell
Robert Powell rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2008
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
Nov 11, 2007