Start by marking “Roast Beef Medium: The Business Adventures of Emma McChesney” as Want to Read:
Roast Beef Medium: The Business Adventures of Emma McChesney
Open Preview read book

Roast Beef Medium: The Business Adventures of Emma McChesney

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"I think I ought to tell you," she began, "that I never was a minister's daughter, and I don't remember ever havin' been deserted by my sweetheart when I was young and trusting. If I was to draw a picture of my life it would look like one of those charts that the weather bureau gets out-one of those high and low barometer things, all uphill and downhill like a chain of mou ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about Roast Beef Medium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roast Beef Medium

Jaylia3
Savvy, straight-talking, and self-reliant, Emma McChesney, is as witty and entertaining as the “fast-talking dames” found in old movies, but it’s closer to 1910 than 1930 or 40. Emma’s an early career woman, working as the Midwest sales representative for T.A. Buck’s Featherloom skirts and petticoats, and most of her life is spent on the road--traveling by train, sleeping in hotels, meeting the most interesting people, and outsmarting the male sales reps who are her competition. She’s still styl ...more
Wendy Bertsch
This book, written in 1913, was way ahead of its time. It’s a loosely connected series of chapters about Emma McChesney, not a sweet young thing, but rather an attractive 35-year-old divorcee with a grown so,n who makes a good living as a travelling saleswoman, outperforming the men in her field. Tough, competent and fast-talking, with an earthy sense of humour, Emma was an icon of feminism, at the time. Be prepared to make allowance for a heavy dose of early twentieth century slang, because Emm ...more
Laura McDonald
Emma McChesney has a clear head on her shoulders. She has a straightforwardness that I find lacking in popular fiction/movies these days. Speaking of movies, while reading this I couldn't help being reminded of a movie I saw recently, Up In the Air with George Clooney. His experiences of living airports and hotel rooms--loving the life but at the same time longing for the kind of normalcy that stationary people live-reminded me a lot Emma's experiences 100 years ago.
Alex
My parents got me a Kindle for my birtday, and so far, I've just been using it to explore the free-range public domain pickings out there. This one caught my eye because of its unique perspective of a traveling saleswoman at the turn of the last century. Pretty glib stuff, but full of snappy patter and moxie.
Emily
I wish I could have given this one 3.5 stars, but it was a fun read overall, so I'll err on the side of generosity. Interesting to read these early "strong woman" stories that frequently walk a fine line between emerging feminist thought and adherence to (or perhaps nostalgia for) traditional male/female roles.
Mady
A book written in the early 1900 about a woman who works as a travelling salesman.

I can imagine that the issues she mentions were quite relevant at the time: she's a working mother, who left her son at home to pursue a career as the only woman among men and manages to earn a "man's salary"!
Gwen
Dec 09, 2014 Gwen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gwen by: Shakesville QOTD posting about strong women in literature
Shelves: fiction
Decent fiction work. Traveling petticoat saleswoman, single mother. Fascinating look at what it means to be a single woman traveling throughout America on business, dealing with bosses and society. Kind of a sell-out at the end, but a great look at a strong woman.
Nicole

Anthing written by Edna Ferber is time well spent. I would suggest reading some of her later novels first, but "Roast Beef" is still worth your time.
Cynthia
The dialogue was a little too snappy but a great story of a traveling saleswoman at the turn of the century.
Patty
way ahead of its time, description of an autonomous woman without any theatrics to make a point
Nikki
I always wish Edna's characters well, but I still love reading her stuff
Hazel
A surprise read from Edna Ferber; had never heard of this witty book series.
Lynette
I like the Sister Carrie type setting
Lucretia
Lucretia marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Charise
Charise is currently reading it
Nov 26, 2014
Rick Vetrone
Rick Vetrone marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Heartshome
Heartshome marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Bonnie Lawson
Bonnie Lawson is currently reading it
Nov 11, 2014
June
June marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Rose Ann
Rose Ann marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Linski
Linski marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Noorul Atieqah
Noorul Atieqah is currently reading it
Oct 15, 2014
Elsbeth
Elsbeth marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Edna Ferber was an American novelist, short story writer and playwright. Her novels were popular in her lifetime and included the Pulitzer Prize-winning So Big (1924), Show Boat (1926; made into the celebrated 1927 musical), Cimarron (1929; made into the 1931 film which won the Academy Award for Best Picture), and Giant (1952; made into the 1956 Hollywood movie).
More about Edna Ferber...
So Big Giant Show Boat Saratoga Trunk Cimarron