Start by marking “Eight Men and a Duck: An Improbable Voyage by Reed Boat to Easter Island” as Want to Read:
Eight Men and a Duck: An Improbable Voyage by Reed Boat to Easter Island

Eight Men and a Duck: An Improbable Voyage by Reed Boat to Easter Island

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Nick Thorpe was innocently travelling around South America with his girlfriend, Ali, when he came across an American adventurer planning to sail from Chile to Easter Island on a Bolivian boat made of reeds. Inspired by the great Thor Heyerdahl, Buck had recruited seven men to join him on this experiment to discover whether it might have been possible that Polynesia was fir ...more
Unknown Binding, 308 pages
Published May 1st 2003 by Not Avail (first published May 2nd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Eight Men and a Duck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eight Men and a Duck

Marcie
I wish that I liked this one as much as some of the best of the sailing genre. Thorpe is a journalist and kept the story moving along. He just doesn't have much sailing background and it was a pretty uneventful trip, so he focused most of his story on the inexperienced crew. Unfortunitely, his constant pettiness, fear and cluelessness and the ineptness of the crew just wore me out by the end.

This was the story of "captain" Phil Buck's plan to move a commissioned reed boat from Lake Titicaca, fi
Robert
You can also find my review of Eight Men and a Duck on my book blog

A journalist has a chance encounter with a confident, gung-ho adventurous American, and decides to join the American's quest to cross from Chile to Easter Island in a reed boat, inspired by Thor Heyerdahl's Kon-Tiki adventure (which never actually landed on Easter Island).

The book reads like someone telling a yarn to his mates. It's chummy, everyone's improvising, a bit inept, and hugely reliant on luck. The quest is about as wi
Peggy
The author (a veteran traveller) kind of happens upon a group of men who are building a reed boat with the intention of sailing it from South America to Easter Island, to show that it could be done. He somehow ends up on the boat as part of an extremely lackadaisical crew, who do not seem to share his sense of panic over things like no radio. It was a very quick and enjoyable read.
Daren
Easy reading book, amusing and interesting voyage. An amazingly disorganised and seemingly poorly planned adventure, making it all the more surprising that they succeeded with relative ease!
Less serious, but in the same vein as Tim Severin's adventures.
John Buckler
One of my favorite books. I love the theories behind traveling across the ocean on a reed boat. I love the respect and admiration for Thor Heyerdahl (even if he was mistaken). I just simply love this book.
Stephanie
I gave up. I got bored before they even got the boat launched. Sorry, Nick Thorpe.
Kathy
I liked the honesty in their approach.
Steve Davis
Steve Davis marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Jur
Jur marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Yasir Husain
Yasir Husain marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Amanda King
Amanda King marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Karin Lowe
Karin Lowe marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Skardas
Skardas marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Chantal
Chantal is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Nick Thorpe is an award-winning writer and journalist. A contributor to the Sunday Times, Daily Telegraph, Guardian, Independent, Scotsman and BBC Radio 4 among others, he has covered stories ranging from Russian presidential elections to the coca wars of Bolivia, for which he was shortlisted for the Martha Gellhorn Prize for Journalism.

His latest book, Urban Worrier: Adventures in the Lost Art of
More about Nick Thorpe...
Adrift in Caledonia: Boat-Hitching for the Unenlightened Urban Worrier: Adventures in the Lost Art of Letting Go 8 Men and a Duck: An Improbable Voyage by Reed Boat to Easter Island