Start by marking “The Great Trek” as Want to Read:

The Great Trek

Sterl Hazelton is no stranger to trouble. But the shooting that made him an outlaw was one he didn't do. Though it was his cousin who pulled the trigger, Sterl took the blame, and now he has to leave the country if he wants to stay healthy. Sterl and his loyal friend, Red Krehl, set out for the greatest adventure of their lives, signing on for a cattle drive across the vas ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 739 pages
Published September 1st 2000 by Thorndike Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Trek

Stephen
Mar 05, 2013 Stephen rated it it was ok
Zane Grey is good at some things, adequate at others, and really lacking in some areas of writing. As a storyteller, he can create a believable and engaging plot lilne with a very descriptive talent for place soemtimes, but his characters are very stock, "off-the-shelf" individuals with predictable (sometimes wooden) dialogue. The book was severely edited when it first published and really could have benefited from judicious editing in the unabridged version I read.

Australia was the real protago
Robin
Mar 12, 2010 Robin rated it liked it
This was my first Zane Gray book and I just read it because it was about Australia. It was slow going - I saw that when it was first published it was 1/3 of the original's length - due to "shortage of wartime paper." I think they used that as an excuse. I read the original and 2/3 of it could have been cut out easily. It had action, romance, adventure, but its characters are all pretty wooden and the dialogue is stilted and dated. I'm glad I read it, because he did give a lot of description of t ...more
Jesse Eslick
Dec 04, 2014 Jesse Eslick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different Zane Grey western

The book has the great detail of the normal Zane Grey western. He covers the background of the characters and of the country and the interplay between the characters as he always does,but the plot is really about a long arduous journey across Australia. It has the villains and heroes with good winning in the end.
Richard Stover
May 21, 2015 Richard Stover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review

This was the first Zane Grey book I've read. I like early American historical fiction but I thought I would try this one and glad I did. It was as big as the Australian continent and kept moving. I couldn't put it down.
Beth
May 21, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trekie?

loved the voice! words flow from Grey's pen. the wonderful lyrical Australian outback now less foreign to me ,considering the characters are two cowboys from the USA and Australian pioneers. title tells it all except the ending.
Robert F. Tanner
Sterl and Red's great adventure "down under".

I have always enjoyed Zane Grey's book, about life on the frontier. This book was surprisingly about life in Australia during the early twentieth century. Grey's descriptions of the flora and fauna of the Outback is very evocative.
Oeyjay
Apr 23, 2009 Oeyjay added it
"A couple of American Cowboys running from the law..."
is the beginning of some of my favorite stories.
This one takes place in Australia, and having visited 'down under' there are some great references.
deborah trout
Jan 07, 2014 deborah trout rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Long

a very long book, but worth the time taken reading it. old fashioned can be very good to contrast with today's works.
Bob Miller
Jun 06, 2016 Bob Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moving love stories, great adventure and fatal treachery accompany this epic two year cattle drive across the outback and never never of Australia.
Keith D Hauber
Feb 12, 2015 Keith D Hauber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story line

The suspense of the story held the readers attention from beginning to the last page. I had a hard time setting it down.
Curtis Queen
Jul 03, 2015 Curtis Queen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A REALLY GREAT BOOK.

I believe that this is one of the best books I have ever read. From beginning to end, it was a book that was hard to put down.
Kimberly A Oliver
Great adjectives mixed with emotions!

For all who love the western life....just set in Australia! Good love story and the bonds of being a part.
E MarieNichols
May 23, 2015 E MarieNichols rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Great Trek

A very good Zane Grey book with many twists and turns throughout the story. A good love story without all of the sex of writers of today.
Debbie
Feb 03, 2014 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book was amazing. The struggles were great and held me spellbound. I couldn't put it down at the end. So glad I was able to read the restored version of this story.
Betti
Nov 24, 2008 Betti rated it really liked it
Almost done. Another good author If you like "old school westerns", you can't beat Zane Grey.
Cat McMahon
Cat McMahon rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2013
gerald zweig
gerald zweig rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
John O
John O rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2013
janice a dobbins
janice a dobbins rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2017
Dad
Dad rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2013
Gerald Puckett
Gerald Puckett rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Armand
Armand rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2013
Gaynell
Gaynell rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Ray
Ray rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2015
Christine Jeffords
Christine Jeffords rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Bill Howie
Bill Howie rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2011
Mike Maxfield
Mike Maxfield rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2011
Lowell Dyer
Lowell Dyer rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2013
DANIEL CHIAPPONE
DANIEL CHIAPPONE rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Cooper's Creek
  • The Dig Tree: The Story of Bravery, Insanity, and the Race to Discover Australia's Wild Frontier
  • The Proving Ground: The Inside Story of the 1998 Sydney to Hobart Race
  • Brittle Shadows
  • The Spanish Helmet
  • The Sea and the Jungle
  • Here Be Monsters... 50 Days Adrift At Sea (Kindle Single)
  • Fire and Brimstone: The North Butte Mining Disaster of 1917
  • Snowstruck: In the Grip of Avalanches
  • Chain of Evidence (Inspector Challis, #4)
  • Evil Angels: The Case of Lindy Chamberlain
  • Three Lords for Lady Anne
  • A River Running West: The Life of John Wesley Powell
  • The Last Explorer: Hubert Wilkins, Hero of the Great Age of Polar Exploration
  • This Side of Eden
  • A Place in Time
  • True North: Peary, Cook, and the Race to the Pole
  • Kissing Kilimanjaro: Leaving It All on Top of Africa
Pearl Zane Grey was an American author best known for his popular adventure novels and stories that presented an idealized image of the rugged Old West. As of June 2007, the Internet Movie Database credits Grey with 110 films, one TV episode, and a series, Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater based loosely on his novels and short stories.
More about Zane Grey...