Start by marking “The Great Trek” as Want to Read:

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Sterl Hazelton is no stranger to trouble. But the shooting that made him an outlaw was one he didn't do. Though it was his cousin who pulled the trigger, Sterl took the blame, and now he has to leave the country if he wants to stay healthy. Sterl and his loyal friend, Red Krehl, set out for the greatest adventure of their lives, signing on for a cattle drive across the vas ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 739 pages
Published September 1st 2000 by Thorndike Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Trek

Zane Grey is good at some things, adequate at others, and really lacking in some areas of writing. As a storyteller, he can create a believable and engaging plot lilne with a very descriptive talent for place soemtimes, but his characters are very stock, "off-the-shelf" individuals with predictable (sometimes wooden) dialogue. The book was severely edited when it first published and really could have benefited from judicious editing in the unabridged version I read.

Australia was the real protago
Jesse Eslick
A different Zane Grey western

The book has the great detail of the normal Zane Grey western. He covers the background of the characters and of the country and the interplay between the characters as he always does,but the plot is really about a long arduous journey across Australia. It has the villains and heroes with good winning in the end.

loved the voice! words flow from Grey's pen. the wonderful lyrical Australian outback now less foreign to me ,considering the characters are two cowboys from the USA and Australian pioneers. title tells it all except the ending.
Richard Stover

This was the first Zane Grey book I've read. I like early American historical fiction but I thought I would try this one and glad I did. It was as big as the Australian continent and kept moving. I couldn't put it down.
Curtis Queen

I believe that this is one of the best books I have ever read. From beginning to end, it was a book that was hard to put down.
E MarieNichols
The Great Trek

A very good Zane Grey book with many twists and turns throughout the story. A good love story without all of the sex of writers of today.
Keith D Hauber
Great story line

The suspense of the story held the readers attention from beginning to the last page. I had a hard time setting it down.
Wow! This book was amazing. The struggles were great and held me spellbound. I couldn't put it down at the end. So glad I was able to read the restored version of this story.
This was my first Zane Gray book and I just read it because it was about Australia. It was slow going - I saw that when it was first published it was 1/3 of the original's length - due to "shortage of wartime paper." I think they used that as an excuse. I read the original and 2/3 of it could have been cut out easily. It had action, romance, adventure, but its characters are all pretty wooden and the dialogue is stilted and dated. I'm glad I read it, because he did give a lot of description of t ...more
deborah trout

a very long book, but worth the time taken reading it. old fashioned can be very good to contrast with today's works.
Apr 23, 2009 Oeyjay added it
"A couple of American Cowboys running from the law..."
is the beginning of some of my favorite stories.
This one takes place in Australia, and having visited 'down under' there are some great references.
Almost done. Another good author If you like "old school westerns", you can't beat Zane Grey.
Sandra marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Jerry Ide
Jerry Ide marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Jane marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Joe added it
Aug 06, 2015
Jane marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Jacquelyn marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Judy marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Pearl Zane Grey was an American author best known for his popular adventure novels and stories that presented an idealized image of the rugged Old West. As of June 2007, the Internet Movie Database credits Grey with 110 films, one TV episode, and a series, Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater based loosely on his novels and short stories.
More about Zane Grey...
Riders of the Purple Sage The Last Trail The Lone Star Ranger Betty Zane The Spirit of the Border