Start by marking “Tribes” as Want to Read:
Tribes

Tribes

"You don't just walk into the tribe, pal. First you've got to pass the test."
Kevin thinks gangs are stupid - he's never going to join one but events spiral out of control when he's caught up in a gang fight and the tribe comes to his rescue. It isn't easy to join the tribe - but, as Kevin discovers when it's almost too late, it's far harder to leave.
Published 2001 by Barrington Stoke

To ask other readers questions about Tribes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tribes

Den
Nov 20, 2011 Den rated it liked it
Recommends it for: struggling readers
Shelves: teen, 2012
I really enjoyed this book. I started it to see which kids it would appeal to at school and really got into it and the characters. Although Kevin doesn't want anything to do with gangs as he sees them as stupid, when he is chased by one gang and rescued by another he rather relieved. He goes along with the gang as he wants to be the first to tell his friend and sister all about the initiation trial but after he's done it, he feels he can't tell anyone. Although lots of people seem wary of Salom, ...more
Ailsa Mackay
Nov 21, 2012 Ailsa Mackay rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-dougie
Aimed at 8-10 year olds, Cathy McPhail has combined a fast paced, tense drama with believable and engaging characters. She addresses a range of issues relevant to her target age group (the appeal of gangs, friendship, the impact of a dysfunctional family background, questions of trust) and has created a thrilling page turner with plenty of scope for interesting classroom discussions.
Jennifer Goldby
Sep 19, 2016 Jennifer Goldby rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
A children's book that highlights many societal issues in childhood, there's a Lord of the Flies-esque aspect to 'tribes'. A young boy named Kevin is drawn in by the intriguing gang 'The Tribe', and psychologically coerced into becoming part of an oppressive group, whose ringleader is 'Salom'. The author employs primal imagery to convey animal instincts displayed by the boys, such as; 'he joined in the tribal roar', 'the Rebels were no longer the hunters. They were the hunted'. More and more mis ...more
Joanne
Dec 05, 2013 Joanne rated it liked it
Definitely written for KS3 children (about ages 9-11), but the exploration of gangs and what makes them so attractive and all consuming was very well-done.

Bullying, dysfunctional home lives, wacky line-dancing parents, and don't forget the gang leader, Salom, who is mysterious and may not be what he seems.

A quick read, but probably not worth a shot for older readers. For kids definitely recommended but be prepared to discuss some issues ;)

Esther
Jan 03, 2013 Esther rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking book for key stage 3 readers. Most should be able to identify with the main character and the tensions explored in the story. Plenty of meat for class discussion although I will think carefully about how to approach the subject of bullies and the possibility of their difficult home lives.
Mrs Shields English teacher
Just finished this book- its in the school library it you want to read it. It was recommended to me as being a great book for year 8. I think it's an excellent story but wondered what your opinion was? Plot drive so I don't think you'd get bored.
Iona Sinclair
Jul 08, 2011 Iona Sinclair rated it it was amazing
Despite its size (and that its targeted at a slightly younger audience) I cannot get over how much I love this book. It's one of the best books I've ever read. The characters are amazing, and the ending left me...speechless. Not to mention that the cover is so amazing.
Matthew
Jun 05, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing
A well-written page turner that conveys gasps from it's target audience with ease; and the adults. It really was eagerly thrilling.
Ahmed
Jun 29, 2013 Ahmed rated it it was amazing
why he was tempted to join the gang
Ann
Jun 13, 2015 Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Suitable for EAL Y7 and boys.
Interesting themes around family, what causes kids to rebel.
Simple language and no swearing
Tulani White
Apr 07, 2013 Tulani White rated it really liked it
This book made me feel very weird, almost nervous it made me feel something I've never felt before I don't know if it was the mystery of the tribes or what but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Emma Scott
Mar 29, 2015 Emma Scott rated it it was amazing
I rate all of Cathy's books this way but I thought this one was truly excellent. Feeling trapped in a gang is such an important issue for a lot of people here and I think she explored it really well.
Suzi
Dec 16, 2012 Suzi rated it liked it
Definitely not the types of "gangs" I'm used to reading, but it really made me think about what it is about gangs that is so appealing. This book gave me some interesting insights.
Jade
Jade rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2013
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Whitepointstar
Whitepointstar rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2013
Ole
Ole rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2017
Mina Hasan
Mina Hasan rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2014
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2010
Danni
Danni rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2014
Dorothy Coe
Dorothy Coe rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2012
Olivia Boswell
Olivia Boswell rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2014
Mika Azk
Mika Azk rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Seema
Seema rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2017
Here.i.go
Here.i.go rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2011
Hufsah
Hufsah rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2016
gjkgjkghjlgjlgjl
gjkgjkghjlgjlgjl rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Growing Up Humming
  • A Dog Called Grk (Grk, #1)
  • Twin Tales
  • Dead Letter Drop
  • Nasty Nature
  • The Magical Worlds of Narnia
  • The Good Psychopath's Guide to Success
  • Bubble
  • The Blood Guard (The Blood Guard, #1)
  • Zom-B Mission (Zom-B, #7)
  • Armageddon Outta Here (Skulduggery Pleasant, #8.5)
  • The Secrets of Life and Death (Jackdaw Hammond #1)
  • Thirteen (Adam Grant, #1)
  • Dizzy