Cat Deck the Halls

Cat Deck the Halls (Joe Grey #13)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  337 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Christmas in the charming seaside village of Molena Point, California, has always been a traditional affair—but not this holiday season. Instead of singing carols and climbing into Christmas trees, Joe Grey, feline P.I., is faced with his most difficult case yet—and that's saying a lot for a wily tomcat who for years has been solving crimes the police can't even crack.

A st...more
Published October 28th 2008 by Avon (first published 2007)

Cyndee
Ridiculous premise--cats who can speak and make phone calls. However, the book was pretty good, and I got into the antics of the cats!
Devin O'Branagan
So far, I've read all the Joe Grey Cat Mysteries through this one. This is the first review I've written on the series.

At first the books were very hard to read because of how brutally the cats hunted wild creatures. I am an animal lover, which is why I wanted to read this series, and to read how the rabbit "screamed like a woman" while being ripped to shreds by the cats was just too much. (I noticed on Amazon a lot of negative reviews for this same issue.) I am a realist, I understand that cats...more
Abbey
2007, #13 Joe Grey and Dulcie, Molena Point, Northern California; cosy, amateur sleuth, fantastical. A young child is found, mute and amneisiac, near the body of a dead man, and as Joe, Dulcie, and their humans try to find out what's going on in their beautiful little town at Christmastime, they discover the killer is after her as well, and doesn't care who he hurts in the process.

Not recommended as your first read in this series, but a lovely addition to it for those already enamoured of Molen...more
Elva
I had trouble w/talking cats and telephoning cats, etc. But the it's a solid, not-quite cozy mystery. I did guess the murderer very early. But the the mystery was why. Also, there were other crimes and red herrings that were well executed.

This is the 1st Joe Grey cat mystery I've read. I don't think you need to read the previous stories to enjoy this one - but I would like to understand what the deal is w/talking cats and how their humans found out, etc.

The cats are likable, smart, logical, and...more
Lindasp
I disliked this book so much that I didn't finish it, which is very unusual for me. I could not accept the fiction of talking cats and the humans who collude with them in solving crimes. Beside this ridiculous premise, I found much too much time spent on giving back story on the uninteresting recurring characters and their interactions. I like cats, but not these!
April
Cat Deck the Halls
Shirley Rousseau Murphy
Avon (an imprint of HaperCollins)
2007

Joe Grey, Dulcie, and Kit , the talking cats of Molena Point, are back for another adventure as they try to solve another murder when a man is killed underneath the Christmas tree in the town square. This story belongs mostly to Kit and Joe Grey and their human companions.

3 1/2 stars for a detailed and strongly crafted mystery, although I could have used a who's who chart to remind me who all the characters (from prev...more
Rosemary
This was a light, fluffy little mystery.

I haven't read any of the other Joe Grey books, so I have no idea if it is typical. The characters are under-developed, the writing is repetitive, the mystery, with nearly no mistakes, I figured out about halfway through.

But it doesn't matter. My standards for Christmas-themed books is that they not offend me (either in content or skill), don't require much attention, and cause me to be pleasantly diverted. This succeeded on all counts.
Karen Hartshorn
Dec 28, 2011 Karen Hartshorn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 12 year olds, those that like animals and light reading
Shelves: christmas
In this story SOME of the cats can talk. I am not sure that in this reality based story for adults that is ok (it was ok in Watership Down of Course). But it was a good little mystery and had its little heartwarming small town-- It was ok I guess as long as it doesn't(or I don't) take it too seriously.

I am going to read the first in the series. A little light reading never hurt anyone and there is a good chance that my 12 year old daughter will love them---
Erin
Ok, if you can overcome the fact that cats can actually talk and do in fact, talk to their owners, then you will probably enjoy this novel. I picked it up thinking that it was going to be a Christmas story starring cats. It was, but also a lot more. It was much better than I was hoping it would be.

The cats are the central idea. They see crimes and murders and then tip off the police. This is a murder mystery and involves a great cast of characters.
Kate
This was my first book in this series and I'm so glad I found it. Yes there are talking cats, but it isn't hokey like it sounds! The book is really well written and the talking cats aspect is actually very interesting. Cats can go almost anywhere and follow people without looking suspicious, they can eavesdrop, etc. and that adds a really cute, fun element to the book. I look forward to reading more in this series!
Patti
I thought this book was bad. I couldn't even finish it. Cats talking, strange. Oh, and it read schizophrenicly (is that a word, LOL). Anyway, I would read a part from one perspective and then several pages later I would read the same thing, only in someone else's perspective. But, it was close enough that it was unnecessary.
BTW, I love cats, so I thought the book would be fun.
Cassandra
LIke most people this is the first book I have read of the joe grey books it was just a long kinda boring book to me...I liked the idea of the talking cats though and the little girl that was in it was what kept me reading it to the end......it did take me close to a year to finish it though cause it was so slow in the begaining
Michelle
Decent story but the amount of spelling errors was overwhelmingly distracting. How does one become a book editor and how can I get that job????
E.
Sep 28, 2008 E. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers who like animals in their stories
The trio of talking cats is involved in another mystery that requires their peculiar brand of investigation. A chilling look at identity theft juxtaposed with the beauty of the Christmas season and the evolving relationships of the humans intertwined with Joe Grey, Dulcie and Kit. Another excellent addition to the series.
Tobius
I have read others of this authors, and I have liked them all so far. True it is strange that cats can talk and use phones, but hey why not? It adds a little fun to the book, and that is what these books are for, a light, easy read with a bit of fun to them. If some one wanted a dose of reality, pick another book. :-)
Phair
Nice little holiday present for the followers of this delightful series. First-timers will likely be very puzzled over the many characters and back-stories brought into the plot or mentioned here. Two mysteries get mixed together and sorted out and some significant actions take place with our regular cast.
Brenda
I read this book over the Christmas break. I thought it was charming, perhaps a bit predictable, but nevertheless, a cozy book to read during the season. I love "cat books" so my opinion may be somewhat prejudiced. I highly recommend this book, especially if saved for Christmas 2008.
Brenda
Lee Ecklund
This book is a mystery solved with the help of three cats that talk but only a few select persons know of the cats ability. After reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain" where there was a dog who was almost human, this was entertaing but had none of the emotional draw of the other book.
Donna
I read the first book in this series several months ago and got this one for cheap on the Kindle. It's the 13th book in the series so clearly a lot has happened but I didn't feel confused by not having read the other books. This was a fun Christmas-themed mystery.
Vicky
I loved this entire series… the cats who can talk and solve mysteries… what fun… definitely a cozy mystery, but then I love them… nothing I have to concentrate on...
Lisa
This is the book that got me into this series... Hate to say it, but I think I love these cats more than Midnight Louie's clan... o.k. maybe equally as well as Midnight Louie and company... If you haven't read any of these give them a try...
Sara
I read this in one night -- my only regret was knowing I've read all the books in the series now and have to wait for the next. Joe, Dulcie and Kit have their paws full in this installment!
Martha
Joanne Moyer
I read some of the earlier books in this series years ago and remember liking them more than this one but it's still a fun read if you can get past the talking cats thing
Vicky
Janet
loved it! i think these are my new book addiction... I have 7 more on reserve with the libraries, lol
Sue
I love these talking, mystery solving, human-loving cats! Their humans aren't half bad either.
Regan
This is such a fun series with great characters -- cats so of course it must be good!
Meg
Cheesy christmas fiction/mystery...and its crappy. Two words : cats talk.
Carol
WOW!!!!!! GREAT!!!!!! She just keeps getting better and better!!!!!
  • Cat in a Topaz Tango (Midnight Louie, #21)
  • How to Moon a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #3)
  • Santa Clawed (Mrs. Murphy, #17)
  • Shrouds of Holly (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #15)
  • The Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #1)
  • Cat Trick (Magical Cats, #4)
  • Even Cat Sitters Get the Blues (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #3)
  • The Cat, the Mill and the Murder (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #5)
Shirley Rousseau Murphy is the author of Cat in the Dark, Cat on the Edge, Cat Under Fire, and Cat Raise the Dead, and has received five Council of Authors and Journalists Awards for previous books. She graduated from San Francisco Art Institute, has worked as a commercial artist and has exhibited paintings and sculptures extensively on the West Coast. She and her husband live in Carmel, Californi...more
More about Shirley Rousseau Murphy...
Cat on the Edge (Joe Grey #1) The Catswold Portal Cat Under Fire (Joe Grey#2) Cat Raise the Dead (Joe Grey #3) Cat in the Dark (Joe Grey #4)