Start by marking “On Night's Shore: A Novel” as Want to Read:
On Night's Shore: A Novel

On Night's Shore: A Novel (Edgar Allan Poe #1)

It is the summer of 1840--for some in New York City a season of prosperity; for others, another season of desperation.

Randall Silvis's On Night's Shore opens with one of the most spellbinding scenes in contemporary writing. A girl tosses her baby from a warehouse window, then follows the infant into the Hudson River far below. The only witness to this desperate act is a t
Published January 19th 2001 by Minotaur Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about On Night's Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Night's Shore

Amy Sturgis
Beautifully written, with a delicious sense of place, On Night's Shore is a fictional account of Edgar Allan Poe's investigation of the murder of Mary Rogers. This real-life murder was the inspiration for Poe's second mystery featuring C. Auguste Dupin, "The Mystery of Marie Rogêt," and I'd recommend reading both that story and a book about its inspiration and conception, The Beautiful Cigar Girl: Mary Rogers, Edgar Allan Poe, and the Invention of Murder , first in order to get the most out of ...more
Anche se il giallo che fa da perno alla trama del romanzo non mi ha coinvolto un granché, mi è comunque piaciuta la descrizione della New York di quasi due secoli fa - un enorme paesone pseudo-rurale che in pratica aveva gli stessi problemi sociali della metropoli in cui si è trasformata oggi - e mi ha affascinato il tentativo di riportare alla luce la complessa personalità di E. A. Poe uomo e scrittore.
Mi incuriosiscono molto i romanzi che prendono spunto da opere di altri e in cui viene tessut
Mrs W
Apr 30, 2015 Mrs W rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This historical fiction mystery recreates Edgar Allan Poe as an investigative journalist who is attempting to solve the mystery of Mary Rogers’s murder. Historically, Rogers’s case inspired Poe’s detective tale “The Mystery of Marie Roget,” which is a sequel to “The Murders in the Rue Morgue.” Joining Poe on this adventure is ten-year-old Auggie Dubbins, who narrates the story as an adult reflecting upon this past adventure.

The story began rather slowly for me with an isolated incident which lea
May 20, 2012 Dani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the first book in "The Poe Series," "On Night's Shore" is a fun bit of historical fiction that taught me much that I didn't previously know about Edgar Allen Poe. The series had been recommended to me a couple of years ago, but I hadn't gotten around to it yet. I thought it might be related to the recent John Cusack film, "The Raven," so I figured it was about time to check it out. Now that I have read it, however, I don't actually think there is a connection between the film and the books ot ...more
Deanna Lack
I very much enjoyed this one, and I've had it on my shelves for ages. It's a murder mystery set in 1849 New York. Augie is a " gutter rat" and all but an orphan when he finds a body in the Hudson, and on that same day meets one Mr E A Poe, a reporter working for the Daily Mirror. The writer takes young Augie under his wing and together they attempt to solve the mystery of the murder.

I'm not generally a murder mystery fan, but the historical fiction and literary context I enjoyed very much, as w
Jan 11, 2014 Melle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: literature majors who like paperback mysteries
A historical fiction mystery involving a then-ten year-old narrator who uses vocabulary well outside the range of ten year-olds and well-suited for people who like mysteries or people who might be a little prudish about sex (which is briefly alluded to) but who are okay with some extreme and graphic violence (a category of folk that always baffles me).

This incorporates interesting little details and not-so-little figures from 1840's era United States, the story is engaging enough, and reference
Suzze Tiernan
Apr 14, 2010 Suzze Tiernan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very well-written mystery, set in the 1840's with Edgar Allan Poe as a main character. I liked it enough that I ordered the next in the series right away. Not for anyone that has trouble figuring out what an unusual word means by the context. I have never seen so many words in one book that I had never seen before! LOL
Apr 28, 2010 Aimee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book - it was interesting to see the author's perspective on Poe's early days. In the beginning of the book there was a pretty high vocabulary level. I enjoy a good SAT word now and then, but made the story a bit cumbersome for me. As the story progressed, I noticed it less and less.
This was an interesting mystery written from the perspective of Edgar Allan Poe as a journalist in 1840 undercovering the death of a shop girl. It was very well written, but I found it slow moving until about halfway through. Poe admirers would certainly appreciate it.
Aug 21, 2008 steph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to steph by: Charlotte Carty
A bit over-written and he uses the same "big" words over and over but I didn't figure out who done it, which is key. I don't usually try very hard to figure mysteries out, since I prefer to watch them unfold.
Feb 14, 2013 Boyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read, and the description of New York in Poe's time is pretty accurate. To get more out of the story, it would help to be familiar with the murder of Mary Rogers.
Barbara marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
cherie marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
Elena Montalbano
Elena Montalbano marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Angie Cain
Angie Cain marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Christian Bensing
Christian Bensing rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Rosie rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Daphne Chambers
Daphne Chambers marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Sunni marked it as to-read
Natalie Clementi
Natalie Clementi marked it as to-read
Diane Lynn
Diane Lynn marked it as to-read
Sheila MacKenzie
Sheila MacKenzie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Sukeerti marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Madison marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Fran marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Amy marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Leah marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Sofia Taylor
Sofia Taylor marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Ally added it
Apr 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Italia: Un romanzo con Poe protagonista? 7 34 Feb 06, 2015 01:39PM
Novelist, playwright, essayist, and screenwriter Randall Silvis is the author of six books of fiction; two more are forthcoming from St. Martin's Press. A Senior Fulbright Fellow and Thurber House writer-in-residence, his many awards include the prestigious Drue Heinz Literature Prize, three National Playwrights Showcase Awards, and two fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts. His wor ...more
More about Randall Silvis...

Edgar Allan Poe (2 books)
  • Disquiet Heart: A Thriller