Start by marking “Spin the Bottle” as Want to Read:
Spin the Bottle

Spin the Bottle

Middle school is an Entirely New Planet. The girls look fully grown in the most glamorous and complicated ways, and the boys look . . . well, weird. The good news? Drama Club. Real Drama Club—with actual auditions, and roles involving more than the days of the week. Phoebe Hart has waited a long time for this. The stage, after all, is the one place the “flawed and unremark ...more
Published April 17th 2008 by Dial

Mollie F
Mar 20, 2011 Mollie F rated it it was amazing
Spin the Bottle by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel is an excellent book. The title of the book gave my mom a heart attack. I guess I was naive because I didn't even know what spin the bottle meant when I checked out this book. After reading the story, I learned what it meant and assured my mom this book was fantastic. This book discussed middle school survival, peer pressure, how friendships change over time, and how to be true to yourself.

Spin the Bottle reminded me of my life. As I flipped each page,
Della
Mar 30, 2012 Della rated it liked it
It was a good book but it had some flaws. For one it had alot of abbrieviations that I often times forgot. Like OOMA= Object of my affection or BCG= Blond Cherabic Girl
SO I got confussed sometimes but O fixed it up and got it to somewere I could remember. The cover also looks very very girly.
Jun 02, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
it is a very good boook and i hope that alot of people read it :)
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by JodiG. for TeensReadToo.com

Welcome to Middle School. Everything you know about school, social politics, and life in general is about to change.

Phoebe Hart has just started middle school and is on the way to fulfilling her dream of joining the Drama Club and being in a real school play. Now she is surrounded by the very people she has looked up to-- the elite of the Monroe Middle School Drama Club. She is filling her days with auditions, set building, and rehearsals. With her best fr
GenreGroup
Phoebe Hart is thirteen years old and a student at Monroe Middle School. She wants to be an actress but feels insecure and lost among all the other teenagers in her school. Phoebe, along with her dependable best friend Harper, is excited to join the drama club where she can participate in auditions and earn parts in a serious production. She happily spends time building sets, auditioning and attending rehearsals until her problems begin. The big issue is that middle school isn't exactly like she ...more
Ashlyn Smith
Oct 27, 2013 Ashlyn Smith rated it really liked it
Phoebe Hart just recently started middle school. It is a big change for her, but one of the things that get her very excited is being in the drama club. Phoebe hopes to be a great actress some day and drama club with help her get there. Throughout Phoebe's middle school experience she notices that everyone is changing in everyway possible. While Phoebe as lots of fun in drama club the night of the play she learns the before show tradition: a game of spin the bottle. Phoebe is very nervous. Who w ...more
Brett
Elizabeth Cody Kimmel did such a great job of catching the full spectrum of awkwardness, discomfort, & embarrassment of being a middle school girl that at first, I really didn't like this book. However, the authenticity of protagonist Phoebe Hart's voice is absolute, & you root & cringe for her at the same time. Phoebe has been waiting to get into middle school for years now for one reason - drama club. She's gone to every show, & can't wait to be on the stage herself. But it fee ...more
Laurie
Nov 02, 2008 Laurie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Middle School Readers
Shelves: outside-reading
Spin the Bottle by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel

This book was lighthearted and funny. I was reminded almost instantly what is was like to a Middle School girl again!

This is a story about Phoebe and her best friend Harper as they enter the sixth grade and finally have the chance to join the Drama Club. This is something Phoebe has dreamed about since she was very little and she heard rumors of the traditional game played on opening night...Spin the Bottle. Phoebe didn't consider herself a nerd or an ugly
Salsabrarian
Feb 04, 2016 Salsabrarian rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, middle, reader, school
Typical middle school story: It's Phoebe's first year in middle school and she's looking to fit in but her attempts to befriend the cool drama girls alienates her best friend Harper. It seems awfully convenient that Phoebe's mother is a shrink and Harper is intellectually gifted; they serve to provide the "just be yourself" platitudes and help Phoebe get her head straight about living on the Entirely New Planet that is middle school.
Vivian De
Jan 12, 2011 Vivian De rated it really liked it
"Spin The Bottle" is a very well written book. I liked it a lot but the only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that the main character was so rude to her fellow 7th graders in the drama club try outs. But in the end its very good, interesting, drama filled and funny. I like that I can relate to it.
Kathryn
Sep 15, 2013 Kathryn rated it liked it
I liked this book. It was about a girl who joined the drama club and every year the club plays spin-the-bottle. She's not very comfortable playing the game but since the popular girl (Darla) plays it and she wants to impress Darla, so she does it too. This book is a quick read and I think most of us girls can relate to most of this.
Ashlyn A
Dec 20, 2011 Ashlyn A rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a wonderful book, it is about these two bestfriends who are going to do drama together. But the one girl is very quiet and the other girl is very outgoing, but together they are best friends. Soon to find out, they have to play spin the bottle with the people at drama because it is an old tradition of drama members! Read the book to find out what happens next!!
Elizabeth F
Mar 27, 2013 Elizabeth F rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Oh, the horrors of middle school! Can't we all relate to the seemingly unlimited potential for embarrassment and permanent scarring?

"Harper thinks that the lingering memory of childhood cafeteria-oriented trauma accounts for at least one-third of all cases of adult-onset anxiety, and I have to agree. There just wasn't any easy way to get through a school lunch."
Ximena Arista or Mrs. Zayn Malik
The book Spin the Bottle is about a girl named Phoebe who is basicley lost in middle school. She has a crush, she wants to be in drama class, and wants to fit in, but it all doesn't just work that way. I wonder if she could handle all this drama? Or if she even has a shot at becoming one of the big girls in school? It all depends on HER...
sam appelbaum
Aug 08, 2012 sam appelbaum rated it liked it
this is SUCH a good book! i seriosly read it in 1 day! the cover looks decieving but me and Hannah read it and we both loved it...it is about this girl and she wants to go in to middle school looking like a young actress but things chsnge a lot! her and her best friend split up because things arent working out.....and yeah! so u kinda have to read it to see what i mean!!!
Sheyenne
May 02, 2012 Sheyenne rated it really liked it
Shelves: light-reads
Cute book really well written. I love little books like this to keep my mind busy. I loved how the author really captured how it is like to be in middle school and it was also really funny I couldn't help laughing out loud at some things that Pheobe said. Really cute and well written book. :)
Sharon
Jun 08, 2009 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: children
6th&up. A perfect read for the tween girl set- full of middle school issues and angst like fights with your best friend, finding the OOMA (Object of My Affection), and searching for a place to belong while still being true to yourself.
Crystal
Apr 21, 2009 Crystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, 2009
Reading this took me back to junior high, 7th and 8th grade. I remember how intimidating it was after middle school. The author really captures the feeling, as well as how friendships change and grow.
Dani
May 04, 2012 Dani rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-students
read with a Grade 4 student with LD - the themes were a bit above her head in this one, and she didn't love it (too much focus on kissing and yucky stuff like that!). Good book for the pre-teen crowd.
Marissa
This book was amazing if you want to learn how to stand up for yourself in middle school and love your best friend then this is the book for you!
Hailey Dubach
Dec 29, 2015 Hailey Dubach rated it really liked it
good
~~Penny~~ The runner :P
Sep 25, 2010 ~~Penny~~ The runner :P rated it really liked it
Pretty good, although I didn't lovelove it.
Beth Beckwith
Jul 09, 2012 Beth Beckwith rated it liked it
Fun read for middle school girls. Realistic fiction revolving around two best friends beginning middle school and joining the drama club. There's plenty of drama, and of course, the cute boy....
Alice
Aug 23, 2012 Alice rated it really liked it
It was a pretty good book.
(+~~JustLiz~~+)
Feb 13, 2012 (+~~JustLiz~~+) rated it it was amazing
i recently bought this book. Because its full of drama, and the way its set up is very interesting, it has various twists and turns you don't know whats going to happen next kind of thing.
Kristen Landon
Sep 03, 2011 Kristen Landon rated it liked it
Not the most original book in the world, but fun and interesting.
Denika Ottley
Aug 02, 2013 Denika Ottley rated it liked it
Not a bog interest to me but it's not a horrible book at all
Miya Hernandez
Oct 23, 2012 Miya Hernandez rated it liked it
Wonderful book!
Alyssaaa(or Aliza)
Oct 25, 2011 Alyssaaa(or Aliza) rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE!
it was terrribbllleeee neverrr read this...EVER!
Patricia
  • Home, and Other Big, Fat Lies
  • Homefront
  • Talk
  • Ten Ways To Make My Sister Disappear
  • Lara's Leap of Faith (The Royal Ballet School Diaries, #2)
  • Julia Gillian And the Quest for Joy
  • The Totally Made-up Civil War Diary of Amanda MacLeish
  • The Lily Pond (A Faraway Island #2)
  • Being Bee
  • Me, In Between
  • Do-Over
  • Chasing Normal
  • Toby Wheeler: Eighth-Grade Benchwarmer
  • Jimmy's Stars
  • Wabi: A Hero's Tale
  • The Truth About My Bat Mitzvah
  • Manatee Blues (Wild at Heart, #4)