Start by marking “Spin the Bottle” as Want to Read:
Spin the Bottle

Spin the Bottle

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Middle school is an Entirely New Planet. The girls look fully grown in the most glamorous and complicated ways, and the boys look . . . well, weird. The good news? Drama Club. Real Drama Club—with actual auditions, and roles involving more than the days of the week. Phoebe Hart has waited a long time for this. The stage, after all, is the one place the “flawed and unremark ...more
Published April 17th 2008 by Dial

The Lost Days by Rob RegerSisters Red by Jackson PearceStranger and Stranger by Rob RegerHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingEmily the Strange by Rob Reger
Toon Covers
34th out of 141 books — 33 voters
Starlight Symphonies of Oak and Glass by Alexandria V. NolanThe Pets by Bragi ÓlafssonMarco Impossible by Hannah MoskowitzThe Aqua Net Diaries by Jennifer NivenTell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
Objects in Silhouette
6th out of 13 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Della
It was a good book but it had some flaws. For one it had alot of abbrieviations that I often times forgot. Like OOMA= Object of my affection or BCG= Blond Cherabic Girl
SO I got confussed sometimes but O fixed it up and got it to somewere I could remember. The cover also looks very very girly.
Mollie F
Spin the Bottle by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel is an excellent book. The title of the book gave my mom a heart attack. I guess I was naive because I didn't even know what spin the bottle meant when I checked out this book. After reading the story, I learned what it meant and assured my mom this book was fantastic. This book discussed middle school survival, peer pressure, how friendships change over time, and how to be true to yourself.

Spin the Bottle reminded me of my life. As I flipped each page,
it is a very good boook and i hope that alot of people read it :)
Brett
Elizabeth Cody Kimmel did such a great job of catching the full spectrum of awkwardness, discomfort, & embarrassment of being a middle school girl that at first, I really didn't like this book. However, the authenticity of protagonist Phoebe Hart's voice is absolute, & you root & cringe for her at the same time. Phoebe has been waiting to get into middle school for years now for one reason - drama club. She's gone to every show, & can't wait to be on the stage herself. But it fee ...more
GenreGroup
Phoebe Hart is thirteen years old and a student at Monroe Middle School. She wants to be an actress but feels insecure and lost among all the other teenagers in her school. Phoebe, along with her dependable best friend Harper, is excited to join the drama club where she can participate in auditions and earn parts in a serious production. She happily spends time building sets, auditioning and attending rehearsals until her problems begin. The big issue is that middle school isn't exactly like she ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by JodiG. for TeensReadToo.com

Welcome to Middle School. Everything you know about school, social politics, and life in general is about to change.

Phoebe Hart has just started middle school and is on the way to fulfilling her dream of joining the Drama Club and being in a real school play. Now she is surrounded by the very people she has looked up to-- the elite of the Monroe Middle School Drama Club. She is filling her days with auditions, set building, and rehearsals. With her best fr
Ashlyn Smith
Phoebe Hart just recently started middle school. It is a big change for her, but one of the things that get her very excited is being in the drama club. Phoebe hopes to be a great actress some day and drama club with help her get there. Throughout Phoebe's middle school experience she notices that everyone is changing in everyway possible. While Phoebe as lots of fun in drama club the night of the play she learns the before show tradition: a game of spin the bottle. Phoebe is very nervous. Who w ...more
Laurie
Nov 16, 2008 Laurie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Middle School Readers
Shelves: outside-reading
Spin the Bottle by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel

This book was lighthearted and funny. I was reminded almost instantly what is was like to a Middle School girl again!

This is a story about Phoebe and her best friend Harper as they enter the sixth grade and finally have the chance to join the Drama Club. This is something Phoebe has dreamed about since she was very little and she heard rumors of the traditional game played on opening night...Spin the Bottle. Phoebe didn't consider herself a nerd or an ugly
Priyanka
One word. FANTASTIC! But one question: does this game actually happen in reality? Overall, this was an awesome book, made me wanna read it again!
Ashlyn A
I thought this was a wonderful book, it is about these two bestfriends who are going to do drama together. But the one girl is very quiet and the other girl is very outgoing, but together they are best friends. Soon to find out, they have to play spin the bottle with the people at drama because it is an old tradition of drama members! Read the book to find out what happens next!!
Samantha Appelbaum
this is SUCH a good book! i seriosly read it in 1 day! the cover looks decieving but me and Hannah read it and we both loved it...it is about this girl and she wants to go in to middle school looking like a young actress but things chsnge a lot! her and her best friend split up because things arent working out.....and yeah! so u kinda have to read it to see what i mean!!!
Elizabeth F
Oh, the horrors of middle school! Can't we all relate to the seemingly unlimited potential for embarrassment and permanent scarring?

"Harper thinks that the lingering memory of childhood cafeteria-oriented trauma accounts for at least one-third of all cases of adult-onset anxiety, and I have to agree. There just wasn't any easy way to get through a school lunch."
Ximena Arista or Mrs. Zayn Malik
The book Spin the Bottle is about a girl named Phoebe who is basicley lost in middle school. She has a crush, she wants to be in drama class, and wants to fit in, but it all doesn't just work that way. I wonder if she could handle all this drama? Or if she even has a shot at becoming one of the big girls in school? It all depends on HER...
Kathryn
I liked this book. It was about a girl who joined the drama club and every year the club plays spin-the-bottle. She's not very comfortable playing the game but since the popular girl (Darla) plays it and she wants to impress Darla, so she does it too. This book is a quick read and I think most of us girls can relate to most of this.
Vivian De
"Spin The Bottle" is a very well written book. I liked it a lot but the only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that the main character was so rude to her fellow 7th graders in the drama club try outs. But in the end its very good, interesting, drama filled and funny. I like that I can relate to it.
Sheyenne Sheathes ;)
Cute book really well written. I love little books like this to keep my mind busy. I loved how the author really captured how it is like to be in middle school and it was also really funny I couldn't help laughing out loud at some things that Pheobe said. Really cute and well written book. :)
Sharon
6th&up. A perfect read for the tween girl set- full of middle school issues and angst like fights with your best friend, finding the OOMA (Object of My Affection), and searching for a place to belong while still being true to yourself.
Crystal
Reading this took me back to junior high, 7th and 8th grade. I remember how intimidating it was after middle school. The author really captures the feeling, as well as how friendships change and grow.
Dani
read with a Grade 4 student with LD - the themes were a bit above her head in this one, and she didn't love it (too much focus on kissing and yucky stuff like that!). Good book for the pre-teen crowd.
Beth Beckwith
Fun read for middle school girls. Realistic fiction revolving around two best friends beginning middle school and joining the drama club. There's plenty of drama, and of course, the cute boy....
(+~~JustLiz~~+)
i recently bought this book. Because its full of drama, and the way its set up is very interesting, it has various twists and turns you don't know whats going to happen next kind of thing.
Jenna
this book was really good
although very dramatic it kind of related to what really happens in middle school
i really recommend this for kids in middle school!!!
Marissa
This book was amazing if you want to learn how to stand up for yourself in middle school and love your best friend then this is the book for you!
Pam
A fun read. Elizabeth Cody Kimmel creates real characters who deal with situations that young readers will easily relate to.
Patricia
Cute story...good for middle school girls...clean: 3.5 stars
Kristen Landon
Not the most original book in the world, but fun and interesting.
Denika Ottley
Not a bog interest to me but it's not a horrible book at all
Nina
I encourage anyone who like chick lit books to read this
Alexis
This really made me want to keep reading. A full 5 STARS!!
Cara Zwelo
Omg! I am like 13 and wanna act soo bad so it was awesome.
  • Home, and Other Big, Fat Lies
  • Homefront
  • Agnes Parker... Keeping Cool in Middle School
  • Talk
  • Ten Ways To Make My Sister Disappear
  • The Lily Pond
  • Do-Over
  • Me, In Between
  • Isabelle's Perfect Performance (The Royal Ballet School Diaries, #3)
  • The Totally Made-up Civil War Diary of Amanda MacLeish
  • Chasing Normal
  • Toby Wheeler: Eighth-Grade Benchwarmer
  • Julia Gillian And the Quest for Joy
  • Wabi: A Hero's Tale
  • The Truth About My Bat Mitzvah
  • Adam Canfield, Watch Your Back!
  • Jimmy's Stars
  • My Last Best Friend
School Spirit (Suddenly Supernatural #1) Mary Ingalls on Her Own ParaNorman: A Novel Extended Free Preview Lily B. on the Brink of Cool Scaredy Kat (Suddenly Supernatural #2)