Start by marking “The Animal Hedge” as Want to Read:
The Animal Hedge

The Animal Hedge

Newbery Medalist Paul Fleischman’s testament to vision, passion, and destiny is beautifully complemented by folk art-inspired paintings by the virtuoso Bagram Ibatoulline.

There once lived a farmer whose heart
glowed like a hot wood stove with the love of animals.

No one loved animals more than the farmer. All day long, he and his three sons toiled on the farm, singing whil
Published August 11th 2003 by Candlewick (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Animal Hedge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Animal Hedge

Brittany
Dec 04, 2012 Brittany rated it really liked it

This was a story about a farmer and his three sons. They planted crops one year but no rain came so nothing grew. Because of this, the father had to sell his precious farm animals. One day the rain finally came and the bushes in the front yard were so long that the farmer had to cut them. He began cutting them into the shapes of his missing animals. One day, he farmers three sons came and brought him the animals he had missed so much and his life was complete.
This is a really cute story and I l
Karen
Sep 04, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
I would have given this book five stars for the illustrations alone, but the story is almost as good as the remarkable artwork.

A five-star book that I am adding to my "need to buy" list.

Kathryn
Jan 09, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
A sweet story about following your heart and being kind to others. I especially loved the warm folk-artsy illustrations.
Leah
Dec 06, 2014 Leah added it
The Animal Hedge is about a farmer’s and his family’s struggle through a tough time in their lives. The book starts out telling the audience about how much this farmer cares for his farm. There was a drought in the land, which caused the family to exhaust their reserve of food. However, this was not enough, so the farmer had to sell his farm. He moved his family to a small cottage for survival. After a while, the rain came again, but the farmer no longer had a farm to tend to, only the land ...more
Linda Lipko
Dec 27, 2014 Linda Lipko rated it really liked it
Most impressed with the artistry of Bagram Ibatoulline, I've recently read many books with his lush illustrations. He is one of my favorite artists.

In this book, his illustrations are inspired by American Folk Art. The tale is one wherein a farmer loves his animals. He is happy farming his land and tending his goats, chickens, pigs and other creatures. When a severe lack of rain occurs, he looses his farm. He and his three sons find a small plot of land, but there is no money to buy animals nor
Elaine
Jun 09, 2015 Elaine rated it really liked it
This is an odd book but we enjoyed it. If you want a book that has a perfect story arc, this is it. The stage is set with the introduction of the farmer and his three sons (later talk about the foreshadowing). Then the conflict occurs, the climax, and the resolution. There is a part of the book that is so fantastic (i.e., unrealistic) that it bugged me at first, but then the way it was resolved was so neat that I loved it in the end. The illustrations are quite folksy. I love the use of color. ...more
Heather
Nov 07, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
A bit of fantasy, a bit of formulaic sappiness, and a lot of hedge-carving make up this fun story of a mythical farmer and his sons. The artwork carries the story along even through the more predictable parts and ends with the sons honoring their father and his true love. It may inspire some hedge trimming or at least a trip to formal gardens to see some real animal hedges, like maybe Longwood Gardens perhaps.
Julia Miller
This beautifully illustrated book is especially relevant in a farming community, though its message could work anywhere. A farmer who truly loves his animals has to give them up because of a horrible drought. He moves to a little cottage with nothing but some hedges around it. However, the shapes of the hedges inspire him and his three sons and help them find new paths in life.
Lori
Aug 25, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it
I picked up this book purely by merit of its beautiful illustrations. I enjoyed the story of wise parental direction-even during hard times- followed by wise loving children who have grown through their trials.
J Kreuz
Mar 24, 2015 J Kreuz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Wonderful and surprising read. I may have enjoyed it more than my toddler. I was certainly inspired by the story as well as the excellent artwork. A superb pair!
Cindi
Feb 23, 2009 Cindi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Marni, Diane, Michelle
Beautiful folk art with an inspiring story. A father helps his sons choose their vocations. This story also shows a range of emotions. I highly recommend it!
Celestia
Apr 18, 2010 Celestia rated it it was amazing
This is a darling picture book with a lovely message of how what parents give to the children in the form of inspiration comes back to bless them. Very heartwarming!
L campagnola
L campagnola rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2012
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2014
Sasha
Sasha rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2008
Stephanie
Jun 10, 2009 Stephanie added it
Shelves: ella
nice illustrations. Lovely story about giving and loving sacrificially
Candace
Candace rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2009
Bobby
Bobby rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Cana
Cana rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2011
Corynn
Corynn rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2011
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Emi
Emi rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Logan
Logan rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2012
Kendra
Kendra rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2013
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2014
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2014
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Paul Fleischman grew up in Santa Monica, California. The son of well-known children's novelist Sid Fleischman, Paul was in the unique position of having his famous father's books read out loud to him by the author as they were being written. This experience continued throughout his childhood.
Paul followed in his father's footsteps as an author of books for young readers, and in 1982 he released
More about Paul Fleischman...