Start by marking “Seeds of Man: An Experience Lived and Dreamed” as Want to Read:
Seeds of Man: An Experience Lived and Dreamed

Seeds of Man: An Experience Lived and Dreamed

Seeds of Man is based on Woody Guthrie’s adventurous 1931 trip through Texas. Nineteen-year-old Woody, accompanied by family members, drives from Pampa in the Panhandle to the rugged Big Bend country in a wheezing Model-T Ford truck. They are searching for a silver mine that Uncle Jeff had discovered and then lost. This autobiographical novel, originally published in 1976— ...more
Published October 1st 1995 by University of Nebraska Press (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Seeds of Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeds of Man

Bondama
Mar 04, 2011 Bondama rated it it was amazing
This is a book I will be cherishing and reading very, very slowly. I'm not even close to finishing it, but I don't want to. I'm taking it off my currently reading, although I've a feeling I'll read it many, many times. Woody Guthrie was, after all, my hero of heroes.
Edward Renehan
Oct 28, 2015 Edward Renehan rated it it was amazing
Pete Seeger and I once had a long conversation about Woody's writing, and agreed the novel SEEDS OF MAN beat the hell out of the semi-fictionalized autobiography BOUND FOR GLORY, which was also - of course - more than worthwhile. We further agreed SEEDS could make an excellent film. Pete looked at me and said: "You ought to write a screenplay and get a film made." I said: "That's a whole different kind of writing from what I do. Plus, I don't have a clue how to, or the power to, get a film proje ...more
Jackson Burnett
Seeds of Man: An Experience Lived and Dreamed is what Bound for Glory would have been if the latter hadn't been well-edited. While Bound for Glory should be considered a part of the American canon, Seeds of Man definitely feels like a work in progress. In fact, it wasn't published until after Guthrie had passed and came out in its unedited original state. It's a book worth reading to experience Guthrie's great gift of improvisation, but it's not a great book by any means.
Mat
May 23, 2012 Mat rated it it was amazing
Great book. I liked this even more than Bound for Glory although I know that Woody worked on this book in fits and starts, keeping certain parts, revising others and interestingly enough, it is based on a true story. Woody and his family actually did set out and tried to find that stake.

Stylistically throughout the book, you can kind of tell which parts he struggled with and in which parts the typewriter was just buzzin' as the diamonds in his mind were transferred onto the page.

I love his descr
Arthur
Dec 31, 2009 Arthur marked it as to-read
Shelves: read-many-times
I have read this book about five times from 1980 and I'm just going to read it again.
A great book by a young man ready to live his life fully into the greatness it was. Songs made up by Woody as they travell all the way through the story of the lost silver mine near the Mexican boarder and their adventures and mishaps and love filled nights. I'd love to produce it on stage or screen.
A.D.Hayward
Mark
Aug 23, 2013 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great adventure story of Woody, cousin Eddie, Uncle Jeff and Pa Charlie's quest for Paw Jerry's gold claim. It takes them from Pampa OK to the Big Bend of the Rio Grande. Woody is a great and many times very humorous writer, his romps with Helly Cat and Rio Rina were downright steamy! He tells a great story, right up there with "Bound for Glory" Look forward to reading "House of Earth"
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Curt Dahlberg
Curt Dahlberg marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Howard
Howard rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Louis D'andrea
Louis D'andrea marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Katerina Stournara
Katerina Stournara marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Dustin Eads
Dustin Eads marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Timothy Robson
Timothy Robson rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Duncan Hendy
Duncan Hendy rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Dusty Hicks
Dusty Hicks marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Amanda
Amanda added it
Feb 25, 2016
Dustytexas
Dustytexas rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Alex Turock
Alex Turock marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Hillary
Hillary marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2015
Jb
Jb marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Pamela Collins
Pamela Collins marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Add cover to Seeds of Man ISBN 0525199365 2 18 Feb 02, 2013 04:02PM
Woodrow Wilson "Woody" Guthrie was an American songwriter and folk musician. Guthrie's musical legacy consists of hundreds of songs, ballads and improvised works covering topics from political themes to traditional songs to children's songs. Guthrie performed continually throughout his life with his guitar frequently displaying the slogan "This Machine Kills Fascists". Guthrie is perhaps best know ...more
More about Woody Guthrie...