Start by marking “The Comfort Table” as Want to Read:
The Comfort Table

The Comfort Table

Nothing is more comforting than a home-cooked meal. And the best home cooking starts with fresh ingredients found close to home with foods that are local, seasonal, and organic. Raised in her grandmother's Southern kitchen, Katie Lee Joel comes from a "family of great cooks and big eaters." And she knows exactly what appeals to the home cook: recipes that are delicious, ea ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Comfort Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Comfort Table

Samantha Penrose
Jan 13, 2009 Samantha Penrose rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I'm a pretty picky eater, and I found 17 recipes that I'd like to try!
I think it was a winner.

I will try:

Hot spinach and artichoke dip
Italian sausage and provolone flat pie
Chicken club salad
Chopped salad
Buttermilk coleslaw (and I have never tried traditional coleslaw)
Gazpacho
Roasted tomato soup
Chilled cucumber soup
Spaghetti with meat sauce (has chili powder in it, interesting)
Roasted cauliflower
Spinach and bacon timbales
Broccoli and cheese sauce
Pat's refrigerator rolls
Pumpkin muffins
Peach fizz (
Megan M
Apr 22, 2012 Megan M rated it liked it
This book needed more pictures of the food and less of the cook. Also, less Paula Deen. If I wanted to read one of Paula's recipes, I would have picked up her cookbook. Can't there just be a nice Southern cookbook that has nothing to do with that woman? Please?

That being said, her recipe for Rocky Road Fudge was a hit with the boyfriend and I was definitely inspired by her puff pastry Flat Pies.
Elisa Garza
Oct 26, 2008 Elisa Garza rated it really liked it
Even though she's a couple years younger than me and is married to Billy Joel (!), everything I've made from this has been awesome. I love the book design, photos and her style (Kaity, I think you two could be related - her eyebrows, nose and smile totally remind me of you - beautiful!). Here are some things I've tried:
1. Caprese Flat Pie - oh my gosh, unbelievable! (You can't think about calories or fat grams on this one!)
2. Chicken Club Salad - so good and filling! This salad is a meal, and so
Rebecca
Aug 14, 2008 Rebecca rated it liked it
I was so set and ready to cook from this book. With very little time to be in the kitchen, I need recipes that are really quick and easy. I was inspired to buy this when I tasted one of her desserts (chocolate peanut butter cake -- absolutely delicious!!), but it turns out that eating her food is much easier than making it (for me). Great recipes for someone who can dedicate time and love to cooking or baking.
Lisa
Mar 23, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it
I first saw Katie on the Kitchen on the FoodNetwork. I had no idea who she was until a co worker said that she had some cook books and she used to be married to Billy Joel? I found many of the recipes in this book I would make. She was really schmanzy with her table settings and entertaining food. Much of it was very simple and some of seemed to be no big deal. So would i buy this for myself? Probably not.
Brindi Michele
Had I perused this book long ago before my own huge cookbook collection and blog readings, I would have found this cookbook to be great. However, as of now I have most of these recipes in other forms that I like much more than her versions. Yet, there were a handful of recipes I copied in order to make very soon...
Mhopkins
Feb 03, 2009 Mhopkins rated it it was amazing
This is a great basic cookbook, Joel's recipes are easy, inventive and will wow your family and friends. One of my favorites. Personal favorites are the pork-chops, the cookies-n-creme truffles, and the chili.
Kirsten
Nov 12, 2016 Kirsten rated it it was amazing
I first bought this book without realizing who she was, I just liked the recipes. It is one of my most used cookbooks. The banana bread is the best I've ever had. The chicken club salad is simple and yummy. A great cookbook for beginner cooks.
Katherine
Oct 25, 2010 Katherine rated it it was amazing
I love this cookbook! All the recipes are easy, contain ingredients that I have already in my kitchen and the pictures are great. I especially love her meatloaf and apricot-glazed braised pork chops.
Amber
Mar 23, 2009 Amber rated it liked it
Paula Deen wrote the foreword so has her endorsement. Like that she's a WV girl who done good (there are a couple local recipes included). As most of the cookbooks I read have not tried out any of the recipes.
Katie
Oct 10, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it
The roommie made the chocolate cake with peanut butter and chocolate icing. So good. A lot of the recipes look delicious and pretty accessible. I would kind of compare it with the Barefoot Contessa, but with a southern flare.
Bree
Jun 30, 2016 Bree rated it it was amazing
Notes:
if I ever lose my recipe box I will just buy this book and be all set -- she cooks just like I do; my only complaint is not enough photos of recipes compared with photos of the beautiful Katie Joel herself
Susie Stangland
Jan 07, 2011 Susie Stangland rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I have prepared almost every recipe in this entire book several times. Friends have requested certain dishes from it. Each one was amazing! Kudos to Katie Lee!
Saundra
Jul 04, 2010 Saundra rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
A beautiful book full of ideas and lovely pictures. I enjoyed perusing this book for ideas for my own kitchen. I basically got this as a reference.
Beka
Nov 29, 2011 Beka rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Nicely set up with lovely pictures, but nothing caught my attention.
Kalee Coburn
Jul 05, 2013 Kalee Coburn rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this cookbook! Katie's recipes are approachable and absolutely delicious!! This is my go-to book!
Jaime
Aug 05, 2012 Jaime rated it it was amazing
One of my go-to cookbooks. Excellent recipes that are more exciting than your every day cuisine, and mostly healthy. Also has lots of great pictures.
Anne
Jun 06, 2010 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, creative recipes and music suggestions.
Karen
May 27, 2009 Karen rated it liked it
I thought this book would be a lot less than what it is. Katie has some interesting recipes that I want to try, and clearly enjoys entertaining.
Stephanie
Mar 04, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I haven't really begun to try the recipes in this book, but I love it. I love that it is by a fellow WV girl who is a transplant somewhere else, but not ashamed of where she is from.
Katherine
Nice recipes but a little too fancy for my taste
Avis Black
Apr 16, 2010 Avis Black rated it did not like it
Shelves: food-and-cooking
This book is way too derivative in both concept and recipes to be worthwhile.
Agnes
"asparagus with roasted garlic aioli" p.50
"creamed spinach" p.39

Sophie
Jan 29, 2009 Sophie rated it it was amazing
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this cookbook. It has great, easy, wonderful recipes that anyone can make. And I already have a lot of the ingredients on hand. My favorite cookbook thus far!
Rebecca
May 12, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Everything in this cookbook looks very good. The book itself is gorgeous. Now I just need to stop procrastinating and start cooking :)
MizUndahStood
MizUndahStood rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Anne Johnson
Anne Johnson rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2011
Marie
Marie rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Brittany
Brittany rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Endless Summer Cookbook
  • Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever
  • Bobby Flay's Grill It!
  • Paula Deen Celebrates!: Best Dishes and Best Wishes for the Best Times of Your Life
  • Relaxed Cooking with Curtis Stone: Recipes to Put You in My Favorite Mood
  • Clinton St. Baking Company Cookbook: Breakfast, Brunch & Beyond from New York's Favorite Neighborhood Restaurant
  • Quick Fix Meals: 200 Simple, Delicious Recipes to Make Mealtime Easy
  • My New Orleans: The Cookbook
  • Real Simple: Meals Made Easy
  • Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen: Recipes from My Family to Yours
  • Giada at Home: Family Recipes from Italy and California
  • The Complete Book of Pasta and Noodles
  • Country Living The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen: Live Well, Laugh Often, Cook Much
  • The Foster's Market Cookbook: Favorite Recipes for Morning, Noon, and Night
  • Tyler's Ultimate: Dinner at My Place
  • Tangy Tart Hot and Sweet: A World of Recipes for Every Day
  • Rachael Ray's Kitchen Companion: More Than 200 All-New 30-Minute Recipes and More
  • The Soul of a New Cuisine: A Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa