Start by marking “The Well of Eternity (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Well of Eternity (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #1)

The Well of Eternity (War of the Ancients Trilogy #1)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  4,906 Ratings  ·  165 Reviews
Many months have passed since the cataclysmic Battle of Mount Hyjal, where the demonic Burning Legion was banished from Azeroth forever. But now, a mysterious energy rift within the mountains of Kalimdor propels three former warriors into the distant past -- a time long before orcs, humans or even high elves roamed the land. A time when the Dark Titan Sargeras, and his dem ...more
Published March 30th 2004 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about The Well of Eternity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Well of Eternity

Rise of the Horde by Christie GoldenArthas by Christie GoldenThe Shattering by Christie GoldenJaina Proudmoore by Christie GoldenThe Last Guardian by Jeff Grubb
Warcraft
45 books — 54 voters
BioShock by John ShirleyHomeland by R.A. SalvatoreThe Legend of Zelda by Patrick ThorpeIco by Miyuki MiyabeDisgaea by Arashi Shindo
Beyond The Game
112 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Well of Eternity (War of the Ancients Trilogy #1), Richard A. Knaak
عنوان: وارکرفت: چشمهٔ جاودانگی کتاب اول نبرد باستانیان؛ نویسنده: ریچارد ا. ناک؛ مترجم: لیلا احمدی؛ ساری، زهره، 1386، در 493 ص؛ شابک: 9645704898؛ چاپ دوم 1386؛
چیزی بود که نباید میبود
دیشب 22 12 1394 برای بار سوم خواندم، کار ریچارد ناک حیرت انگیز است
Dylan Woods
Sep 20, 2012 Dylan Woods rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All fans of World of Warcraft and Warcraft III
This book was great for me because I love the lore, and I'm not picky whatsoever. While I may be generous on the rating, I thought it was only fair, yet I still have mixed feelings about this book. First off, I have nothing against this author at all. I thought his writing style was well suited. Yes there may have been a few times where he over embellished a sentence, but it never stopped me from reading on. The book takes place way before the wars between Orcs and Humans. Our story takes place ...more
Michael Hall
Feb 06, 2013 Michael Hall rated it it was amazing
Michael Hall War Craft 2-4-13
Well Of Eternity
This book revolves around the popular video game World of Warcraft. In the game much of the history is told but not in details. The player either ignores the lore or goes and research about it some other way. The book introduces the reader to Krasus and Rhonin who were summoned to investigate a strange phenomenon. When they get there they are transported back in time to the time when humans weren’t even around yet. To a time where night elves ruled an
Madalina Iuliana Mocanu
Jul 14, 2016 Madalina Iuliana Mocanu rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Warcraft Lore Junkies
Recommended to Madalina by: The Warcraft Movie... damn :/
Shelves: others
My sister said: Don't waste your time with the Warcraft Novels! They are poorly written fan-fiction of a game... No game novels are worth reading. Including Assassin's Creed!

I am well aware of that. I know they are poorly written, but here's the thing. If I do not start now to read them, I will never... ever start. I've been meaning to for the past 3 years and just couldn't find the method to. And by method I mean the thoughtful pondering of the fact that I have to read 20 novels and a lot of sh
Julia
I love World of Warcraft. I am a huge fan of the video game and started playing during Cata in Sept. 2011. That being said, this book meant a lot more to me and resonated with me because I could relate the characters to their in-game selves. This review may in turn be a bit biased because of that recognition with the characters and eagerness to learn more about the lore. If you don't play the game and have never heard of any of the characters mentioned in this book, I am not sure what experience ...more
Michelle
Mar 31, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: warcraft
I've been a casual player of World of Warcraft since 2008, and have spent my fair share of time in that "world" questing, flying around, farming, running dungeons, battling pets, etc.

Over time, though, it just wasn't enough to just roam around the world doing stuff. I really wanted to know the lore - the history of everything, the backgrounds of the characters I was playing. So I started picking up the novels...and boy, are they ever fun.

And fun is all I think they are really meant to be. I gue
Leeanna
Nov 14, 2009 Leeanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
Warcraft, War of the Ancients #1: The Well of Eternity, by Richard A. Knaak

"The Well of Eternity" is the first in a trilogy of books based on the bestselling game series World of Warcraft. It's a fun and informative read for fans of the game - you see plenty of game characters fleshed out, and by the end of the first book you'll know them better.

The book starts a little slow, setting up the main characters and settings, but quickly picks up pace. Krasus, a dragon who spends much of his time in
April
The Well of Eternity is my fourth warcraft book. It was very interesting, especially because I played World of Warcraft for 3 or 4 years on and off. Currently off, but who can stay away from WOW when the new expansions come out? :) So I'll be going back on again. My brother also greatly encourages me to read them. He thinks it's the only worthwhile books to read. That all the other books I've read can't be better than the warcraft books. :D Well don't believe that, though being able to read a bo ...more
Crystin Goodwin
Aug 17, 2016 Crystin Goodwin rated it it was amazing
I've played World of Warcraft for years, and one of the first things that made me fall in love with the game was the incredible storyline underlying everything. The rich histories of the various races, the interaction between faction leaders ... I hadn't played anything like it before. I'm one of the few people I know who actually reads quest text - because you're never sent off to do something without being told WHY you're doing it.

So when I found out there were actual NOVELS written in the War
Holly
Jan 14, 2011 Holly rated it did not like it
This book is absolutely terrible. I picked it up off my ex bf's floor when I had nothing else to read; it came for free with his Special Edition World of Warcraft: The Burning Legion. The writing is abysmal, but it does tell the lore of WoW, which I found interesting enough to go out and buy the other two books in the trilogy. I know that I'm going to hate them, but I do want to know all of tne lore, and as of now, that's really my only viable option, as even the game excludes some of it.

Worth t
Shay
Mar 30, 2010 Shay rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Warcraft lore fans
Recommended to Shay by: Mark
I couldn't finish this. I'm used to a much higher quality writing style. This came off as trash you find hidden in the back shelves of the used book store. One of those terrible, thin paperbacks with a cover from the 60's that you know is going to be awful before you even read the plot synopsis.

I managed about the first 50 pages and just couldn't go any farther, the author is horrible. The other books may be better, or you may find inspiration from a deep interest in the lore behind the Warcraft
Aik Koh
Aug 03, 2012 Aik Koh rated it it was amazing
Another great book by the author, the start of the trilogy explains a story that happens thousands of years before what most gamers know about the story of Warcraft lore. Explains more about the Night Elf race and their internal struggle with power hungry members of their race. Also connected with the author's earlier work where he brought some old characters in to make it even more exciting.
Thomas Thunbo
Aug 08, 2012 Thomas Thunbo rated it it was amazing
As a fan of the Warcraft universe, I thought that this was a great book. I wouldn't recommend people who are not familiar with the Warcraft lore to read it just yet. One has to know the basics of the World of Warcraft.
Nyssa
Jun 03, 2009 Nyssa rated it it was amazing
If you played World of Warcraft and enjoyed it, you'd probably be interested in the lore behind the game. These books do more than what a wiki could offer you in painting a pretty vivid picture. Front row seats to original characters like Cenarius, Illidian, Malfurian, Tyrande is pretty awesome.
Julie
Oct 09, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
I am a sucker for lore. I love reading this stuff. It does get dry at times but it's totally worth it and these stores are the backbone of all the other lore
Diane Krawczak
Mar 22, 2009 Diane Krawczak rated it it was amazing
As a rabid WoW player, I wanted to learn more about the background lore and I found it very engrossing, very epic
Krista
Oct 25, 2010 Krista rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Amazing book that I would recommened for anyone who loves the Warcraft universe, fantasy, and action.
Majki
Feb 28, 2014 Majki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: warcraft-books
I RECOMEND
Amanda Jarbeau
Aug 26, 2013 Amanda Jarbeau rated it it was amazing
Shelves: warcraft
The War of the Ancients trilogy was my first Warcraft books. OMG it got me so hooked on them.
Jovanni Bello
Sep 20, 2013 Jovanni Bello rated it it was amazing
Despite being written by Knaak, this whole series is pretty wonderful.
Jack
Jun 24, 2012 Jack rated it did not like it
I didn't expect amazing writing from a Warcraft novel, but no one could really predict just how terrible this is. The first thing you'll notice is that the writing style is atrocious. Most sentences are structured awkwardly for the sake of pseudo-sophistication - the most pretentious hack move out there. The prose is as purple as it gets. Don't expect a single noun without a minimum of two repetitive adjectives; don't expect a verb not to be padded with unnecessary description.

The style of 'tell
rivettca
Aug 30, 2016 rivettca rated it liked it
When I made the decision to read the Warcraft books, I knew that I would be stepping away from what most people deem as being "proper literature". I expected it to be childish and simple, and faster-moving than I would like. However, I hoped that I would come away from it with a better appreciation of Warcraft lore.

The Well of Eternity by Richard A. Knaak is the first such book I've read, with the exception of Durotan by Christie Golden, as that is set in the cinematic universe rather than the
Dan
Apr 06, 2013 Dan rated it it was ok
Only read the first few chapters, but I agree with most of the other negative reviews on here. I've never read a Warcraft book, I didn't expect it to be "good", but I expected it to be entertaining enough. It's not. I felt like I was reading one long, badly written quest log. I agree with the reviewer that pointed out how sexist each description of a female character is. I feel like I can review this book because the beginning sucks, so I can only assume the rest of the book sucks.
Daley
Apr 07, 2010 Daley rated it it was ok
Why is this so bad? The author wrote my favorite Warcraft book and now he has written the worst. This saddened me since I adore the Warcraft world and books.

Used "and the latter" phrase at least three or four times per chapter and sometimes even more. Lovely characters, but he constantly repeated himself and dragged the story out as long as possible while ending abruptly leaving main plot points completely unresolved. Disappointing.
Mihai
Aug 29, 2014 Mihai rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. A fine piece by the author Richard Knaak, the book does justice to the lore. As a fan of Warcraft, I salute the author as I eagerly hold the next book in hand. A good read indeed.
Lavenza
Aug 07, 2012 Lavenza rated it it was amazing
One of the best stories in the world of Azeroth, and of all the warcraft books, this trilogy is the best.
Jack Leone
Jul 16, 2013 Jack Leone rated it it was amazing
Hands down the most epic warcraft series with the best characters. A must read for any fantasy lover..
Kamy
Jan 12, 2010 Kamy rated it it was amazing
I love warcraft
Tim
Feb 14, 2008 Tim rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic fantasy, Warcraft-based trilogy.
Alexander Damian
Nov 24, 2013 Alexander Damian rated it it was amazing
Best
  • Lord of the Clans (WarCraft, #2)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
  • Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #4)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
  • World of Warcraft, Vol. 1
  • Vol'jin: Shadows of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #12)
  • Warcraft Legends, Volume 5
  • The Black Road (Diablo #2)
  • Warcraft: Death Knight (World of Warcraft)
  • Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)
Richard A. Knaak is the bestselling author of Dragonlance novels, Dragonrealm (his own creation), six novels for Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo series, and six works in the Warcraft universe. He has also written five non-series fantasy books.

More about Richard A. Knaak...

War of the Ancients Trilogy (4 books)
  • The Demon Soul (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #2)
  • The Sundering (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #3)
  • War of the Ancients Archive (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #1-3)

“*You are not yet in the Emerald Dream. First, you must remove your earthly shell...* the voice in his head instructed. *As you reach the state of sleep, you will slip your body off as you would a coat. Start from your heart and mind, for they are the links that most bind you to the mortal plane. See? This is how it is done...* - Chapter 4” 4 likes
“I already have. Not at all that far from where we were, but far enough away. Actually, we’re both fortunate and unfortunate.” 1 likes