Start by marking “The Well of Eternity (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Well of Eternity (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #1)

The Well of Eternity (War of the Ancients Trilogy #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  3,838 ratings  ·  122 reviews
Many months have passed since the cataclysmic Battle of Mount Hyjal, where the demonic Burning Legion was banished from Azeroth forever. But now, a mysterious energy rift within the mountains of Kalimdor propels three former warriors into the distant past -- a time long before orcs, humans or even high elves roamed the land. A time when the Dark Titan Sargeras, and his dem ...more
Published March 30th 2004 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about The Well of Eternity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Well of Eternity

Rise of the Horde by Christie GoldenArthas by Christie GoldenJaina Proudmoore by Christie GoldenThe Shattering by Christie GoldenLord of the Clans by Christie Golden
11th out of 45 books — 46 voters
BioShock by John ShirleyHomeland by R.A. SalvatoreIco by Miyuki MiyabeDisgaea by Arashi ShindoThe Legend of Zelda by Patrick Thorpe
Beyond The Game
49th out of 69 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Dylan Woods
Sep 20, 2012 Dylan Woods rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All fans of World of Warcraft and Warcraft III
This book was great for me because I love the lore, and I'm not picky whatsoever. While I may be generous on the rating, I thought it was only fair, yet I still have mixed feelings about this book. First off, I have nothing against this author at all. I thought his writing style was well suited. Yes there may have been a few times where he over embellished a sentence, but it never stopped me from reading on. The book takes place way before the wars between Orcs and Humans. Our story takes place ...more
Michael Hall
Michael Hall War Craft 2-4-13
Well Of Eternity
This book revolves around the popular video game World of Warcraft. In the game much of the history is told but not in details. The player either ignores the lore or goes and research about it some other way. The book introduces the reader to Krasus and Rhonin who were summoned to investigate a strange phenomenon. When they get there they are transported back in time to the time when humans weren’t even around yet. To a time where night elves ruled an
The Well of Eternity is my fourth warcraft book. It was very interesting, especially because I played World of Warcraft for 3 or 4 years on and off. Currently off, but who can stay away from WOW when the new expansions come out? :) So I'll be going back on again. My brother also greatly encourages me to read them. He thinks it's the only worthwhile books to read. That all the other books I've read can't be better than the warcraft books. :D Well don't believe that, though being able to read a bo ...more
Warcraft, War of the Ancients #1: The Well of Eternity, by Richard A. Knaak

"The Well of Eternity" is the first in a trilogy of books based on the bestselling game series World of Warcraft. It's a fun and informative read for fans of the game - you see plenty of game characters fleshed out, and by the end of the first book you'll know them better.

The book starts a little slow, setting up the main characters and settings, but quickly picks up pace. Krasus, a dragon who spends much of his time in
I've been a casual player of World of Warcraft since 2008, and have spent my fair share of time in that "world" questing, flying around, farming, running dungeons, battling pets, etc.

Over time, though, it just wasn't enough to just roam around the world doing stuff. I really wanted to know the lore - the history of everything, the backgrounds of the characters I was playing. So I started picking up the novels...and boy, are they ever fun.

And fun is all I think they are really meant to be. I gue
I love World of Warcraft. I am a huge fan of the video game and started playing during Cata in Sept. 2011. That being said, this book meant a lot more to me and resonated with me because I could relate the characters to their in-game selves. This review may in turn be a bit biased because of that recognition with the characters and eagerness to learn more about the lore. If you don't play the game and have never heard of any of the characters mentioned in this book, I am not sure what experience ...more
This book is absolutely terrible. I picked it up off my ex bf's floor when I had nothing else to read; it came for free with his Special Edition World of Warcraft: The Burning Legion. The writing is abysmal, but it does tell the lore of WoW, which I found interesting enough to go out and buy the other two books in the trilogy. I know that I'm going to hate them, but I do want to know all of tne lore, and as of now, that's really my only viable option, as even the game excludes some of it.

Worth t
Mar 30, 2010 Shay rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Warcraft lore fans
Recommended to Shay by: Mark
I couldn't finish this. I'm used to a much higher quality writing style. This came off as trash you find hidden in the back shelves of the used book store. One of those terrible, thin paperbacks with a cover from the 60's that you know is going to be awful before you even read the plot synopsis.

I managed about the first 50 pages and just couldn't go any farther, the author is horrible. The other books may be better, or you may find inspiration from a deep interest in the lore behind the Warcraft
Aik Koh
Another great book by the author, the start of the trilogy explains a story that happens thousands of years before what most gamers know about the story of Warcraft lore. Explains more about the Night Elf race and their internal struggle with power hungry members of their race. Also connected with the author's earlier work where he brought some old characters in to make it even more exciting.
If you played World of Warcraft and enjoyed it, you'd probably be interested in the lore behind the game. These books do more than what a wiki could offer you in painting a pretty vivid picture. Front row seats to original characters like Cenarius, Illidian, Malfurian, Tyrande is pretty awesome.
Thomas Thunbo
As a fan of the Warcraft universe, I thought that this was a great book. I wouldn't recommend people who are not familiar with the Warcraft lore to read it just yet. One has to know the basics of the World of Warcraft.
I am a sucker for lore. I love reading this stuff. It does get dry at times but it's totally worth it and these stores are the backbone of all the other lore
Diane Krawczak
As a rabid WoW player, I wanted to learn more about the background lore and I found it very engrossing, very epic
Amazing book that I would recommened for anyone who loves the Warcraft universe, fantasy, and action.
Amanda Jarbeau
The War of the Ancients trilogy was my first Warcraft books. OMG it got me so hooked on them.
Jovanni Bello
Despite being written by Knaak, this whole series is pretty wonderful.
I didn't expect amazing writing from a Warcraft novel, but no one could really predict just how terrible this is. The first thing you'll notice is that the writing style is atrocious. Most sentences are structured awkwardly for the sake of pseudo-sophistication - the most pretentious hack move out there. The prose is as purple as it gets. Don't expect a single noun without a minimum of two repetitive adjectives; don't expect a verb not to be padded with unnecessary description.

The style of 'tell
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. A fine piece by the author Richard Knaak, the book does justice to the lore. As a fan of Warcraft, I salute the author as I eagerly hold the next book in hand. A good read indeed.
Only read the first few chapters, but I agree with most of the other negative reviews on here. I've never read a Warcraft book, I didn't expect it to be "good", but I expected it to be entertaining enough. It's not. I felt like I was reading one long, badly written quest log. I agree with the reviewer that pointed out how sexist each description of a female character is. I feel like I can review this book because the beginning sucks, so I can only assume the rest of the book sucks.
Why is this so bad? The author wrote my favorite Warcraft book and now he has written the worst. This saddened me since I adore the Warcraft world and books.

Used "and the latter" phrase at least three or four times per chapter and sometimes even more. Lovely characters, but he constantly repeated himself and dragged the story out as long as possible while ending abruptly leaving main plot points completely unresolved. Disappointing.
Светослав Александров
Количествено погледнато колекцията от произведения, създадени по компютърната игра Warcraft, е също толкова мащабна, обемна и обширна, колкото и най-известните фентъзи епоси - Игра на Тронове, Властелинът на пръстените, Ерагон, Землемория, Нарния. Романите по Warcraft са с вариращо качество - има много добри, има посредствени, а има и някои боклучави.

Тази поредица е написана от автора Ричард Кнаак, който беше известен като автор на най-боклучавата Warcraft-книга. Е, поне доскоро, преди да се поя
Stone Forger
According to the timeline, this book and the other two (the Demon Soul, and the Sundering) are part of a trilogy that explains the very first coming of the Burning Legion to Kalimdor. The interesting here, is how a group of night elves (known as the Highborne) are trying to open a portal to bring the leader of the Burning Legion. But it is this work that will create an anomaly in a distant future, that will drag three persons into the past to deal with the cataclismic event that is about to unfo ...more
Adam L
This book is based on the computer game known as World of Warcraft.
A battle with the Burning Legion that almost destroyed the world just ended with the Burning Legion defeated.
In this book a wizard by the name of Rhonin was called upon by his tutor, a dragon mage known as Krasus. They go to an area to investigate a magical disturbance.
At the same time two orcs called Broxigar and Thrall are also sent to the same place.
The magical disturbance ends up encasing the characters.
What will happen next
One of the best stories in the world of Azeroth, and of all the warcraft books, this trilogy is the best.
Jack Leone
Hands down the most epic warcraft series with the best characters. A must read for any fantasy lover..
Anna Popławska
Amazing book, the whole trilogy:) There are only few books I could recommend so fierecly!:)
Skvělý začátek trilogie :) další důvod k milování světu Warcraftu
This is a fantastic fantasy, Warcraft-based trilogy.
  • Lord of the Clans (WarCraft, #2)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
  • Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #4)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
  • World of Warcraft, Vol. 1
  • Vol'jin: Shadows of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #12)
  • The Black Road (Diablo #2)
  • Warcraft: Death Knight (World of Warcraft)
  • Warcraft Legends, Volume 5
  • Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)
Richard A. Knaak is the bestselling author of Dragonlance novels, Dragonrealm (his own creation), six novels for Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo series, and six works in the Warcraft universe. He has also written five non-series fantasy books.

More about Richard A. Knaak...

War of the Ancients Trilogy (4 books)
  • The Demon Soul (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #2)
  • The Sundering (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #3)
  • War of the Ancients Archive (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #1-3)
The Legend of Huma (Dragonlance: Heroes, #1) Kaz the Minotaur (Dragonlance: Heroes, #4; Heroes II, #1) Day of the Dragon (WarCraft, #1) The Sundering (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #3) The Demon Soul (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #2)

“*You are not yet in the Emerald Dream. First, you must remove your earthly shell...* the voice in his head instructed. *As you reach the state of sleep, you will slip your body off as you would a coat. Start from your heart and mind, for they are the links that most bind you to the mortal plane. See? This is how it is done...* - Chapter 4” 4 likes
“I already have. Not at all that far from where we were, but far enough away. Actually, we’re both fortunate and unfortunate.” 1 likes