Start by marking “Transforming Worldviews: An Anthropological Understanding of How People Change” as Want to Read:
Transforming Worldviews: An Anthropological Understanding of How People Change

Transforming Worldviews: An Anthropological Understanding of How People Change

In the past, changes in behavior and in belief have been leading indicators for missionaries that Christian conversion had occurred. But these alone--or even together--are insufficient for a gospel understanding of conversion. For effective biblical mission, Paul G. Hiebert argues, we must add a third element: a change in worldview. Here he offers a comprehensive study of ...more
Published May 1st 2008 by Baker Academic

Worldview by David K. NaugleThe Boy Who Met Jesus by Immaculée IlibagizaYeshua's Yoga by Kimberly Beyer-NelsonThe Language of God by Francis S. CollinsWhat The Torah Teaches Us About Life / Through The Themes Of ... by Laura Weakley
Christian Worldview Studies
11th out of 17 books — 6 voters
The History of Christian Thought by Jonathan HillTurning Points by Mark A. NollMere Christianity by C.S. LewisInstitutes of the Christian Religion, 2 Vols by John CalvinHow Should We Then Live? The Rise and Decline of Western Thou... by Francis A. Schaeffer
Top 100 Christian Library
150th out of 159 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Mark
Jul 28, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it
Out of the 30 books I've read so far this year and the 6 or 7 of a theological/missiological nature, this is the meatiest of all (It's probably also one of the fattest at 333 pages). I would highly recommend it not just for Christian international workers, but especially for North American pastors and Christian workers as well, as all too often we are completely blind to the assumptions that lie behind our worldviews as they persist unchallenged in our host cultures.

Beginning with the concept an
Josh Davis
Oct 24, 2016 Josh Davis rated it really liked it
Heavy read -- took me a while to get through, but Hiebert is well worth the time. He breaks down the different worldviews that have existed over the last couple of generations, concluding with chapters on a biblical worldview and how worldviews are transformed. Helpful if you are talking to someone with a worldview different than your own.
Josh Meares
Nov 11, 2011 Josh Meares rated it really liked it
This is not a good book, in the sense of being well-written or engaging. But it is an important book. Paul Hiebert is a well-respected missiologist and anthropologist and this is his final work. It truly shows how deeply he has thought about worldview, and how engaged he was in dissecting the modern and postmodern worldviews. It also shows just how to difficult it is to distance oneself from one's own worldview. Even as he is writing this book, he is utilizing the philosophical and educational ...more
John
Feb 13, 2013 John rated it really liked it
Showing the occasional signs of its provenance as a posthumous work edited by several others, taken from lecture notes as well as publication-quality work, this book nonetheless offers a wealth of heuristics for conceiving how people of different outlooks can understand and communicate with each other. Aimed at his fellow evangelical Christians, it is a book that cannot fail to sophisticate (further) anyone who reads it, short of another anthropologically inclined missiologist such as Hiebert ...more
Thomas Freeman
Sep 11, 2009 Thomas Freeman rated it it was amazing
I have not read every chapter of this book.

The book lays a premise at the beginning and then dives into a thorough discussion of the details. Primarily he explains an overview of world views and what develops/influences them. His details look at this in light of missological concerns.

It closes with a look at what is necessary to transform and change a world view. This is at the heartbeat of all evangelism and discipleship.

I found the beginning and end of this book to be invaluable and highly re
Stephen
Apr 23, 2016 Stephen rated it really liked it
This book shows its provenance as a posthumous compilation of Hiebert's class notes. It is sometimes a monotonous read and at various sections you will have re-read the same idea (and even sometimes the same paragraph verbatim) two or three times.

That being said, the content is very good and you will find yourself stretched and enlightened by Hiebert's analysis of worldviews and how people change. I found the last chapter on changing worldviews incredibly practical and pastoral.
Sarai
I have to say not my favorite book... not in a long shot I actually thought it had some good things but was way too much didn't help I didn't like the class but my gosh this was a hard book to read.
Andy Hickman
Feb 05, 2015 Andy Hickman rated it really liked it
Solid work, definitive resource.

Hiebert, Paul G. Transforming Worldviews: An Anthropological Understanding of How People Change. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker, 2009.
Brent Barnard
May 28, 2009 Brent Barnard rated it liked it
Hmmm... I looked at this book two years ago and am having trouble remembering it. I don't remember it being so very helpful...
Josh L.
Mar 23, 2016 Josh L. rated it it was amazing
So through and well-developed as to be near-epic in scope. If you find a more definitve and well-written book on anthropological missiology, let me know.
Steven
Jul 04, 2015 Steven rated it it was amazing
Shelves: seminary, missions
Very eye opening and thorough. I was overwhelmed in many ways just by the compactness of the amount of information in this book. It's a book I want to revisit and spend more time with.
Jim
Apr 21, 2011 Jim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-read
If you deal with people, and not just missions, you really need to understand the basic definitions that Paul brings to the table!
Great read! but its not a lite read!
Julie Martinez
Julie Martinez rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
John Henry
John Henry rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2011
Laura Fairlight
Laura Fairlight rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2014
David Rogers
David Rogers rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Christine Welten
Christine Welten rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2012
Bruce Cheung
Bruce Cheung rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2011
Spelunkingster
Spelunkingster rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2014
Vickie
Vickie rated it did not like it
Jul 08, 2014
Phil Wyman
Phil Wyman rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Jacob
Jacob rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Mary C
Mary C rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Joel Cade
Joel Cade rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Brian Johnson
Brian Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2015
Craig Hurst
Craig Hurst rated it liked it
May 30, 2011
Robert Patrick Angell
Robert Patrick Angell rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Ron Copeland
Ron Copeland rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Missionary Movement in Christian History: Studies in Transmission of Faith
  • Theology in the Context of World Christianity: How the Global Church Is Influencing the Way We Think about and Discuss Theology
  • Naming the Elephant: Worldview as a Concept
  • Perspectives on the World Christian Movement: Reader
  • Walking With the Poor: Principles and Practices of Transformational Development
  • Living at the Crossroads: An Introduction to Christian Worldview
  • Theres a Sheep in My Bathtub: Birth of a Mongolian Church Planting Movement
  • Ministering Cross-Culturally: An Incarnational Model for Personal Relationships
  • Mountain Rain: A Biography of James O. Fraser: Pioneer Missionary to China
  • Art for God's Sake: A Call to Recover the Arts
  • Spirit of the Rainforest
  • Bible and Mission: Christian Witness in a Postmodern World
  • Honor, Patronage, Kinship Purity: Unlocking New Testament Culture
  • Reading the Gospels Wisely: A Narrative and Theological Introduction
  • The Mission of God: Unlocking the Bible's Grand Narrative
  • A History of Christian Missions (The Penguin History of the Church, #6)
  • The Shaping of Things to Come: Innovation and Mission for the 21st Century Church
  • True Story: A Christianity Worth Believing in