Start by marking “The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld” as Want to Read:
The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld

The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld (Discworld Companion Books)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,948 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
A flat planet traveling through space carried by four elephants balancing on the back of a giant turtle; a world populated by (mostly inept) wizards, dwarfs, despots, policemen, assassins, aged barbarians, vampires, thieves, witches, and civil servants; a place where technology, per se, is nonexistent but magic works . . . except when it doesn't.

Gleaned from more than two
Published October 7th 2008 by Harper Perennial (first published September 24th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld

Dan Schwent
May 21, 2012 Dan Schwent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pratchett
The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld is like a clip show for a successful sitcom or the greatest hits cd of your favorite band. It allows you to relive the best bits without all the stuff in between. Each page is like a trip down memory lane. I'd forgotten how funny some of the earlier Discworld books were.

The selections range from witty one-liners to long philosophical paragraphs. While I wouldn't recommend it to Prachett neophytes, it's definitely worth a grab for someone who wants to relive the e
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
Well, it's pretty much what it says on the tin - a compilation of the wit and wisdom scattered throughout the Discworld from the inestimable Sir Pterry...

But, as it says in the forward/intro/thingie, it's as selected by Stephen Briggs - so there are some bits that I agreed with, some which didn't wow me, and some which I felt were missing. (The entry on Small Gods was depressingly small.)

Not a bad romp through the Discworld for someone who's already been and might just want a refresher of some
Melena
Nov 02, 2014 Melena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, terry-pratchett
Ganz klar für Fans der Scheibenwelt. Dieses Buch beinhaltet gesammelte Werke an Textstellen / Zitatan aus diversen Scheibenwelt-Büchern.
Serge Boucher
Nov 16, 2013 Serge Boucher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever read a Discworld book, you know why this book of quotations is awesome. If not, what are you waiting for ?
Jen3n
Aug 16, 2011 Jen3n rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost feel like adding a "dissapointing" shelf just for this book.

I was hoping this book was a collection of the mavelous things Terry Pratchett writes in his novels. You know, those small sections in every Discworld book where he writes about what gods really are, or what it means to be alive, or the nature of time, or what magic really is? They tend to be short-ish sections without dialog. They're all beautifully written and feel absolutely True (with a capital T, even.)

That's not what this
Adelina
Feb 26, 2011 Adelina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discworld
For fans of Discworld, The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld is a must read, must buy and must keep for in this gem of a book are the wittiest and wisest phrases that have been uttered on the Disc from Ankh-Morpok to the Agatean Empire.

In fact, I really wanted to give the book a solid five stars if not for one niggling thought that kept crossing my mind while savoring the words on the pages. Taken out of context, many of the wit and wisdom compiled here just aren't as funny or poignant. While I really
Caroline
Oct 23, 2007 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2007
A very nice collection of witty quotes from the Discworld series. Obviously, it would be impossible for Stephen Briggs to have collected all of my personal favorite quotes, what with him not being me... I used to obsessively collect my favorite quotes from all the books I've read but stopped five years ago, so I only collected quotes from about half of the Discworld series. I was overall happy with this collection, and it saved me a lot of legwork since I doubt I'll ever get back to my collectin ...more
Olivia
Aug 06, 2008 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terry-pratchett
Most of my favorite parts of all the Discworld books can be found in this book. The instant I saw it in Barnes & Noble I bought, without ever having read it before. I promptly went home and read the whole thing. I love this book. If you haven't read the actual books that this culmination of quotes comes from, I suggest you go do so before reading this book, however. That way you won't be confused.
Tanya
May 04, 2010 Tanya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m a fairly new fan of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld, but I got really into it after listening to Monstrous Regiment read by Stephen Briggs. So I got this book from Amazon a little while ago and overall I really like it. It is a way for me to (sort of) know what some stories are about without having to read them. I have found that I just don't like the stories in which Discworld Wizards are central characters. Even secondary characters, come to think of it. I find them boring at best. But stuff h ...more
Nen Simmons
found this for 50p in Smiths, and bought primarily to lend to a friend that had never read any Terry Pratchett. It is a great book if you are already a fan and need cheering up, and inspired me to go back and read some of the earlier Discworld, having been previously of the opinion that he did not really hit his stride until Mort. I don't think it is one for newcomers though, because although I think the quotes selected are excellent, when taken out of context they do lose something. In short -o ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Am I a terrible person for wondering why this exists? Probably. It's not bad or terrible, really, it's just that its usefulness is so niche. If you have read all the Discworld books and want to carry around something that you can stop reading at any time, then this is probably for you. Or if you are heavily involved in Discworld fandom and want to be able to look up certain quotes without having to deal with more than one book? I don't know, man.

I grabbed this from the library when I was getting
Christoffer Levin
The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld is a compilation of good and funny quotes and passages from all the books in the series (up till Making Money) put together by Stephen Briggs. It does not require much from the reader and can act both as a gateway for future fans and a refresher for longtime fans.

My only complaint is that some of the passages tend to become a little too long, which steals some of the humor out of it since it really does itself most justice when in context. Other than that this is
Bruno Di Giandomenico
the wit of the discworld

How come the best one seem only to be the first ones ?
They seem to be thicker in with than the more recent ones, which should not be true. It is true that the recent ones seem to be more lifelike,whereas the first books were lighter, but still puns were abundantly present everywhere.
But for this, I would have given his book a five stars
Christina
Feb 12, 2016 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amusing gallop through the best bits of most of his books (but not all) and a good way to remind myself of the ones I liked and -gasp- the ones I haven't read yet! It wasn't long enough, but it was a great way of cheering myself up!
Sandie
Mar 05, 2016 Sandie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if it was a good thing or a bad thing that I have read most of the books included in this tome. On one hand, I was happy to review so many good friends which has made me want to go back and reread some of my favorites. On the other, many of the quotes were not what I would have expected from some of the stories.
Mr. Briggs has included many funny and anecdotal quotes from Terry Pratchett's books (I assume that he had a difficult time choosing only so many selections from the books.
Timothy Wiggill
Feb 03, 2014 Timothy Wiggill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bought this on sale and it actually turned out to be one of my favourites. Consider it a distilled version of all his books (up until this point), all the best lines and exchanges filtered into one book.
Georgene
May 27, 2014 Georgene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Philip Wickstrand
Shelves: humor
Most of the funny bits from the many Discworld novel by Terry Pratchett. Now that I've read this, I'd like to go back and re-read the novels.
Alexandra May
Jan 24, 2015 Alexandra May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You'll only appreciate this book if you've read the Discworld books that this collection surveys. (Of all the books mentioned in this collection, "The Last Hero" was the only one I actually read.) May not have been the best book to start my year with, but Terry Pratchett's wit got me (as it always has). It also gives a great overview of the reality of Discworld, which makes it a great book for both those who are unfamiliar with Discworld and for avid fans of the series. The latter group has an a ...more
Jess
Beware, if you read this there's a good chance you'll turn right around and re-read all of your favorite Terry Pratchett stuff.
Alethea Hammer

A fairly fun little book for when you don't want to try to follow a plot. It is a sort of compilation of favorite quotes from Discworld. Not really recommended unless you've already read at least part of the series.
Gene
Sep 09, 2012 Gene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I breezed through this one, but the little editor in my head said, you could've done it better.

But I think anyone compiling a list of pithy quotes and humor and wisdom derived from Terry Pratchett's work would come up with something different and personal to them and their outlook. While this was fun, it's more fun still to read the full books, even the weaker ones like Jingo, The Last Continent, the Rincewind books and The Fifth Elephant.

I'll leave the last word to Terry, from the book, The Ama
David
Hmmm ... I'm really not sure how to characterise this. A bit like one of the Discworld Mappes, or the 'Science of Discworld' books, this is really a pretty niche work. In fact, all it is, is a selection of quotes from the Discworld books up to and including 'Making Money', presented in chronoligical order.

It might have been better if it had discussed a bit more about those excerpts, or if there had been a story running throughout, but neither is evident. All fine and good if you're trying to fin
Holley
Sep 08, 2015 Holley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect for those times when you need a snippet to make you smile.
Outi
May 21, 2015 Outi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing new for someone who has read all the Discworld books.
Katikka
Jun 09, 2015 Katikka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beautiful-books
I love to have this book at hand; funny and witty quotes from my fav books. The layout of this book is also beautiful, so it's nice to flip through it every now and then.
Pauline Ross
We live in an age of miracles. I say to my daughter - I'd love to read all the Discworld books but there are just too many, why doesn't someone distill all the best bits into one book for me? And lo, here it is! The snippets vary from laugh out loud funny to groan-worthy to mildly amusing to silly to fairly incomprehensible without context. And even in such small doses, the Pratchett sense of humour tends to pall quite quickly, I find. There is genuine wit (and wisdom) here, but it's largely bur ...more
Anthony Faber
Apr 26, 2014 Anthony Faber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another book I can't see the point of, really. It's a collection of gags from the Discworld books, but anyone into Discworld enough to buy this book have probably read all of them. I suppose one could give it to someone to get them interested, but I wonder how much the gags lose if you don't know the characters.
Helen
Nov 02, 2013 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This books is arranged strangely. Whereas other "Wit and Wisdom" type books are sorted by subject, say, death, politics, marriage, etc, this one is sorted by the book. And not all of them are really witty or wise quotes, just maybe something slightly clever in a large block of text. And if you haven't read the books in the first place, some of the quotes won't make much sense. Still, it was fun to revisit the books between Colour of Magic and Making Money and remember just how much fun some of t ...more
Crissy
Feb 15, 2015 Crissy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read
Rel
Feb 07, 2016 Rel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, unsure
Not what I was hoping for.

If you haven't read Pratchett, you probably wouldn't get this book. And you should really just read one of the novels anyway, so much is lost that the quotes can't capture.

The quotes are okay for long time fans who want to reminisce, but only if you're in it for the laugh track.

Even as such, the quotes as organized by book. Thus you don't even gain any new insight or analysis, the way you might if the quotes were organized by topic, i.e. notes on Death, writings on poli
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • Terry Pratchett: Guilty of Literature
  • Djinn Rummy
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1963-1966
  • The Wizards of Odd
  • Footrot Flats 1 (Footrot Flats, #1)
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld Companion Books (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Discworld Companion
  • The New Discworld Companion
  • Turtle Recall: The Discworld Companion . . . So Far
  • The Art of Discworld
  • The Folklore of Discworld
  • The Compleat Ankh-Morpork: City Guide
  • Nanny Ogg's Cookbook: A Useful and Improving Almanack of Information Including Astonishing Recipes from Terry Pratchett's Discworld
  • Discworld's Unseen University Diary 1998
  • Discworld's Ankh Morpork City Watch Diary 1999
  • Discworld Assassins' Guild Yearbook and Diary 2000

“What is your name?” he said. “My name is immaterial,” she said. “That’s a pretty name,” said Rincewind.” 1 likes
“Did I hear things, or can that little dog speak?” said Dibbler. “He says he can’t,” said Victor. Dibbler hesitated. “Well,” he said, “I suppose he should know.” 1 likes