The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld

The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld (Discworld Companion Books)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,482 ratings  ·  55 reviews
A flat planet traveling through space carried by four elephants balancing on the back of a giant turtle; a world populated by (mostly inept) wizards, dwarfs, despots, policemen, assassins, aged barbarians, vampires, thieves, witches, and civil servants; a place where technology, per se, is nonexistent but magic works . . . except when it doesn't.

Gleaned from more than two...more
Published October 7th 2008 by Harper Perennial (first published September 24th 2007)

Dan Schwent
The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld is like a clip show for a successful sitcom or the greatest hits cd of your favorite band. It allows you to relive the best bits without all the stuff in between. Each page is like a trip down memory lane. I'd forgotten how funny some of the earlier Discworld books were.

The selections range from witty one-liners to long philosophical paragraphs. While I wouldn't recommend it to Prachett neophytes, it's definitely worth a grab for someone who wants to relive the e...more
Serge Boucher
If you've ever read a Discworld book, you know why this book of quotations is awesome. If not, what are you waiting for ?
Jen3n
I almost feel like adding a "dissapointing" shelf just for this book.

I was hoping this book was a collection of the mavelous things Terry Pratchett writes in his novels. You know, those small sections in every Discworld book where he writes about what gods really are, or what it means to be alive, or the nature of time, or what magic really is? They tend to be short-ish sections without dialog. They're all beautifully written and feel absolutely True (with a capital T, even.)

That's not what this...more
Adelina
For fans of Discworld, The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld is a must read, must buy and must keep for in this gem of a book are the wittiest and wisest phrases that have been uttered on the Disc from Ankh-Morpok to the Agatean Empire.

In fact, I really wanted to give the book a solid five stars if not for one niggling thought that kept crossing my mind while savoring the words on the pages. Taken out of context, many of the wit and wisdom compiled here just aren't as funny or poignant. While I really...more
Caroline
A very nice collection of witty quotes from the Discworld series. Obviously, it would be impossible for Stephen Briggs to have collected all of my personal favorite quotes, what with him not being me... I used to obsessively collect my favorite quotes from all the books I've read but stopped five years ago, so I only collected quotes from about half of the Discworld series. I was overall happy with this collection, and it saved me a lot of legwork since I doubt I'll ever get back to my collectin...more
Olivia
Most of my favorite parts of all the Discworld books can be found in this book. The instant I saw it in Barnes & Noble I bought, without ever having read it before. I promptly went home and read the whole thing. I love this book. If you haven't read the actual books that this culmination of quotes comes from, I suggest you go do so before reading this book, however. That way you won't be confused.
Tanya
I’m a fairly new fan of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld, but I got really into it after listening to Monstrous Regiment read by Stephen Briggs. So I got this book from Amazon a little while ago and overall I really like it. It is a way for me to (sort of) know what some stories are about without having to read them. I have found that I just don't like the stories in which Discworld Wizards are central characters. Even secondary characters, come to think of it. I find them boring at best. But stuff h...more
Nen Simmons
found this for 50p in Smiths, and bought primarily to lend to a friend that had never read any Terry Pratchett. It is a great book if you are already a fan and need cheering up, and inspired me to go back and read some of the earlier Discworld, having been previously of the opinion that he did not really hit his stride until Mort. I don't think it is one for newcomers though, because although I think the quotes selected are excellent, when taken out of context they do lose something. In short -o...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Am I a terrible person for wondering why this exists? Probably. It's not bad or terrible, really, it's just that its usefulness is so niche. If you have read all the Discworld books and want to carry around something that you can stop reading at any time, then this is probably for you. Or if you are heavily involved in Discworld fandom and want to be able to look up certain quotes without having to deal with more than one book? I don't know, man.

I grabbed this from the library when I was getting...more
Christoffer Levin
The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld is a compilation of good and funny quotes and passages from all the books in the series (up till Making Money) put together by Stephen Briggs. It does not require much from the reader and can act both as a gateway for future fans and a refresher for longtime fans.

My only complaint is that some of the passages tend to become a little too long, which steals some of the humor out of it since it really does itself most justice when in context. Other than that this is...more
Timothy Wiggill
Bought this on sale and it actually turned out to be one of my favourites. Consider it a distilled version of all his books (up until this point), all the best lines and exchanges filtered into one book.
Georgene
May 27, 2014 Georgene rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Philip Wickstrand
Shelves: humor
Most of the funny bits from the many Discworld novel by Terry Pratchett. Now that I've read this, I'd like to go back and re-read the novels.
Jess
Beware, if you read this there's a good chance you'll turn right around and re-read all of your favorite Terry Pratchett stuff.
Gene
I breezed through this one, but the little editor in my head said, you could've done it better.

But I think anyone compiling a list of pithy quotes and humor and wisdom derived from Terry Pratchett's work would come up with something different and personal to them and their outlook. While this was fun, it's more fun still to read the full books, even the weaker ones like Jingo, The Last Continent, the Rincewind books and The Fifth Elephant.

I'll leave the last word to Terry, from the book, The Ama...more
David
Hmmm ... I'm really not sure how to characterise this. A bit like one of the Discworld Mappes, or the 'Science of Discworld' books, this is really a pretty niche work. In fact, all it is, is a selection of quotes from the Discworld books up to and including 'Making Money', presented in chronoligical order.

It might have been better if it had discussed a bit more about those excerpts, or if there had been a story running throughout, but neither is evident. All fine and good if you're trying to fin...more
Pauline Ross
We live in an age of miracles. I say to my daughter - I'd love to read all the Discworld books but there are just too many, why doesn't someone distill all the best bits into one book for me? And lo, here it is! The snippets vary from laugh out loud funny to groan-worthy to mildly amusing to silly to fairly incomprehensible without context. And even in such small doses, the Pratchett sense of humour tends to pall quite quickly, I find. There is genuine wit (and wisdom) here, but it's largely bur...more
Anthony Faber
Another book I can't see the point of, really. It's a collection of gags from the Discworld books, but anyone into Discworld enough to buy this book have probably read all of them. I suppose one could give it to someone to get them interested, but I wonder how much the gags lose if you don't know the characters.
Helen
This books is arranged strangely. Whereas other "Wit and Wisdom" type books are sorted by subject, say, death, politics, marriage, etc, this one is sorted by the book. And not all of them are really witty or wise quotes, just maybe something slightly clever in a large block of text. And if you haven't read the books in the first place, some of the quotes won't make much sense. Still, it was fun to revisit the books between Colour of Magic and Making Money and remember just how much fun some of t...more
Sharakael
Jan 06, 2009 Sharakael rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Discworld lovers.
This book is a nice way to have the best Discworld quotes in one place... assuming you haven't already memorised them. Some of my favourite quotes didn't make it in there, but well, can't possibly fit them all, can it? It's nice in that you can pick it up and open a random page to enjoy the content.

It's a nice book, but probably for fans only. Some of the quotes would be more hillarious if you have a pre-existing knowledge about the characters who said it...
Morgan
Oh, how I love Discworld. This isn't the kind of book you just sit down and read, though. It's more of the kind of book that you pick up now and then to read some genius quotes that will make you laugh! Which is perfectly fine for Discworld. I've read most of the Discworld books, too, so reading this was a lot of fun.
Terra
This was basically "Pratchett: The Greatest Hits Tour." It's made up of excerpts of the most wise and amusing moments from all of his books up through Making Money, so you're basically just nipping from one excellent quote to another. It made me happy, and made me want to do a Pratchett Re-Read Extraordinaire.
Tamara
Okay as a survey of the best parts of Discworld books this isn't bad. It doesn't include some bits that I would've picked. I mean how could you leave out the description of Nanny Ogg dancing? Some of the pieces don't quite stand outside of the context of the story but still enjoyable.
Dawn
If you haven't read the book the jokes come from they just aren't as funny. But if you're already a discworld fan you already know the characters and everything makes sense. Having said that, if you've read all the books why would you need this one??
Sort of a "greatest hits" version of Discworld, with not enough DEATH but some great lines included.

One thing that kept running through my mind as I read: why does Discworld get a larger volume of quotes than Robertson Davies?
Cygny
I put this book on the 'currently reading' shelf since it's a quotations book and I find myself browsing through it whenever I have five minutes to spare. It'll probably stay on this status for quite a while.
Lana Kamennof-sine
Don't think that I want to finish this one.
I've been doling it out to myself in miniscule bits as a treat.
Pratchett is .... words fail me but insert a wide range of glowingly positive adjectives here.
Amanda Mastran
Enjoyable, but many of the passages are a far too lengthy and most of my favorite quotes were missing.

I was expecting a collection of beloved, witty one liners and was a little disappointed in the respect.
Macie
Don't bother if you're not a Pratchett fan. This is a fun review if you've read the stories the quotes are from, but they're not likely to be meaningful for folks outside the Pratchett fan base.
Theresa
this is taking all the hilarious ideas and putting them in one book
take all the funny lines out of each of the books and you have this creation, it also does a good review of the series.
Jose

A collection of quotes from the Disc World novels.
Not worth buying. The positive thing, is that it made me want to re-read some of the books from which the quotes were taken.
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • Wizards of Odd
  • Tintin in the New World: A Romance
  • Djinn Rummy
  • The Boys' Book: How To Be The Best At Everything
  • King and Emperor (Hammer and the Cross, #3)
  • Spider-Man: The Ultimate Guide
  • Rainbow Mars
Sir Terry Pratchett sold his first story when he was thirteen, which earned him enough money to buy a second-hand typewriter. His first novel, a humorous fantasy entitled The Carpet People, appeared in 1971 from the publisher Colin Smythe. Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, including his first Discworld novel,...more
More about Terry Pratchett...
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) Mort (Discworld, #4) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8) Night Watch (Discworld, #29)