Saat Pertama  (The First Time)

Saat Pertama (The First Time)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,322 ratings  ·  125 reviews
"Yang aku inginkan adalah kesetiaanmu. Yang aku inginkan adalah cintamu. Dan bila aku tidak bisa mendapatkan semua itu, bila kau tidak dapat sedikitnya berpura-pura mencintaiku, untuk setahun atau dua tahun atau berapa pun sisa waktuku, aku tidak mau kau berada di sini."

Mattie Hart tahu persis mengapa suaminya yang sudah meninggalkannya dan kumpul kebo dengan pacarnya, sek...more
432 pages
Published 2006 (first published 1999)

Stephanie
I didn't know this book existed until I came across it in my local library. A very touching love story about a married couple who, after some devastating news, fall in love for the first time. Dealing with some very sensitive issues, J.F. takes a good look at what makes relationships work and what makes them fall apart.
Allison
My GR friend Brandie was so kind to send me this book! I liked it a lot, and I thought the author did a wonderful job of describing someone with ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease. I guess it wasn't AS much of a shot between the eyes as her other books, so for me it was a little lacking - but still really, really good.
Ns
The First Time was such an emotional story. Just emotionally addicting. I can't count how many times I cried and the moments when I needed to step back and collect myself.

The characters came to life and moved me. Their imperfections are not just in the past but in the present, with every action and decision making them real. It's a story about a couple trapped in a loveless marriage and instead of finding personal and marital fulfillment, Jake and Mattie Hart are strangers to one another. They s...more
Rhonda Rae Baker
Emotionally charged novel...loved it!

There were so many things that I related to and the characters were true to life...(-:

I couldn't believe all the things happening in this story and as things moved along it was harder and harder to put the book down. So not to spoil the story, I won't tell you what happens but if you've struggled in marriage and wonder if there is any chance of healing...you'll be inspired by this one. It simply had my heart pumping faster and faster!

An easy read but complic...more
Marisa
This was the most wrenching story about love family, life. I was in tears, I laughter I loved the characters. I don't think I can take another story with such true to life issues and survive without a meltdown. To emotional for me. Loved it, loved Mattie, even loved Jake, it took awhile but it truly loved Jakes character, evan Cynthia Broome redeems herself for me
Tanya
This was the first time I read a Joy Fielding book. Having an uncle with Lou Gherig's, I was crying through half the book realizing all he would have to endure with this terrible disease.

The love story is beautiful and unique. It was a fast read and one that I thought about quite a bit after finishing.
Aiko
I was so deeply moved by Mattie's and her family's story. Mattie Hart develops into her strength, and continues to display courage despite her impossible, hopeless circumstances, and thinks of her family even in her weakness. Full review soon.
Stephany G
What a sad sad story. I've never read this author before, but have one other book of hers to read. This one had a little too much detail and inner dialogue for my taste but the story itself was good but made me cry like a baby.
Cármen Veloso
Absolutely beautiful. A very original and outstanding story told in such a touching way. It's almost ironic how ending in the expected way can be so unexpected and not clichê.
DuniaFriskaIndah
Buku percintaan lagi. Buku ini aku dapatkan dari diskon menarik di Gramedia Palembang pada November 2009. Aku kasih 4 bintang untuk karya Joy Fielding.

For The first time merupakan buku drama keluarga yang berjalan sangat membosankan apalagi bagian tengah, karena Joy Fielding menulisnya dengan monoton, tapi setelah disabarin untuk terus membaca ternyata buku ini sangat indah.

Sebenarnya aku tipikal cewek melankolis, yang akan termehek2 membaca kisah cinta yang menyentuh. Dan aku menangis sekali un...more
Inga
Von außen betracht hat Mattie Hart alles: Den gut aussehenden Ehemann Jake (erfolgreicher Anwalt), die fast perfekte Tochter und das Haus mit Pool, in dem sie sich mit schönen Dingen umgibt.

Doch der Schein trügt: Die Ehepartner leiden beide unter traumatischen Kindheitserlebnissen und Jake betrügt Mattie. Als Mattie einen Neuanfang machen will, kommt die fürchterliche Diagnose einer Krankheit hinzu, die nach und nach ihre Muskeln unbrauchbar machen wird, so dass sie nur noch kurze Zeit zu leben...more
Jessi
This is one of my favorite books, and I have read an innumerable amount of books. I have read it many times, and have cried the majority of the way through each time. When the author introduces the characters, there are many you instantly scorn, however, she slowly draws you in to each of there personas and at the end you love them all. I felt like I was grieving for real people.
Jennie
A touching story written well. First introduction to the author and I will be reading more of her novels. The story was emotionally driven and poignantly written. I did feel it was a bit predictable in places but due to the topic it was to be expected.
Louise
Another spellbinding stunner from Joy Fielding! I'm so glad I found this author.

"After sixteen years of marriage, Mattie Hart, discovers that her husband, Jake-a high profile Chicago attorney-is involved in yet another love affair. But a far greater crisis descends upon the Hart family after Jake leaves home. Mattie receives devastating news that will alter their lives. Wracked by guilt, Jake returns to the wife he has never really loved and the teenage daughter who wants nothing to do with him....more
Mahareni Maldini
Baca buku ini jd tertekan sndri.Si suami selingkuh,si istri selingkuh (mgkin buat balas dendam),si anak cwek mnyelundupkn cwok k rmh utk mlepas v-nya.Ketiganya tjd dlm 1 malam.

Memang mengharu biru sih,sm spt Rainwater-nya Sandra Brown d mana salah 1 tokoh utamanya sekarat krn penyakit dan mati.Sayangnya unsur selingkuh d buku ini bkin eneg banget!!!Aplg dbikin selingkuhan si Jake (si suami) smp nyusul pasutri ini k Perancis.Hiiiiii...pengin mencincang si jalang ini deh!Jg pengin nyunat si Jake!!...more
Terri Benson
~ I ❤️THIS BOOK! It's not considered a life changing work fiction designed to change your life, but it will strike cord in almost every womas
Suzanne
What will you do upon hearing that you only have one year to live? How will you tell your child/children? What about your spouse who has loved you all these years?

Fielding explores these feelings and emotions of Mattie and her family. Her husband is a lawyer who is about to make partner within his firm. He is working at his career trying to acheive his potential. All is going well in his life until he hears the news of his wife's disease.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. The other one...more
penelopewanders
Techdivakt
This book was very hard to read as it deals with infidelity, teenage angst and a marriage that was based on pregnancy. Mattie, the h, deals with everything and her relationship with her daughter is very special, but the whole marriage premise is based on doing what is honorable or expected, right until the end, it's based on honor. I would have been more invested in this story if the H/h were more vested in each other, I.e., h didn't know the H's tragic background. Come on, 16 years and you don'...more
Rahmadiyanti
Endingnya bikin haru, nangis ogut, hihihi eh salah, huhuhu... Lagi-lagi Fielding sukses bikin saya nggak mau berhenti baca sebelum tamat. Kisah seorang istri yang pernikahannya bagai sekam. Sebab sang suami gemar selingkuh dan tidak mencintainya. Hingga suat hari Mattie, sang istri divonis menderita skelerosis blablabla (panjang nama penyakitnya) yang hanya menyisakan 1-3 tahun sisa usia. Karena kasihan, Jake "kembali" ke rumah. Mattie hanya berharap, Jake mencintainya, satu kali saja.... akanka...more
Jessica
Recommended to me years ago by a good friend going through hard times, this book wasn't something that caught my eye until I got into the 3rd page haha. Fielding's descriptive, angry main character made me fall in love with her instantly. I felt every emotion she did and I had never been married, in love, or had a family yet. But I knew exactly how she felt because Fielding's writing style was that good. I was reeled in and finished the book within 2 days. Admittedly, not my style of book I stil...more
Andrea Zwick-doty
Awesome awesome book for realistic romance.
Aimee
Excellent couldnt put it down
Dana
Mattie Hart discovers her lawyer husband, Jake is involved in another love affair. Their sixteen year marriage is finished. Jake moves out to live with his girlfriend. Soon after Mattie discovers she has Lou Gehrig's disease.

Jake returns home to help Mattie. Jake is feeling guilty. Mattie is needy and their teenaged daughter wants nothing to do with Jake.

This is a romance with a bit more meat to it. It is about how conflict and tragedy brings people together. There should be second chances in li...more
Nancy Fornataro
A definite five star on this one. It deals with so many issues, on so many levels, and it grabbed me right from the beginning. I was totally loving but hating the end, although not unexpected. A page-turner!!
Billiejo
I liked this book even though I had a completely different story and plot played out in my mind. Thought for sure it was going to be more of a crime drama...boy, was I way off!! This book had me filled with so many different emotions, smiling one minute and overwhelming sadness for the characters the next minute. Joy Fielding did a great job making the reader feel as though they were a part of this book and quite possibly made them see things in a whole different light.
Julie Dickerson
K. East
Having read Fieldings, See Jane Run, and thoroughly enjoyed it more than a decade ago, I thought I might try another of her novels. This one is pretty formulaic, and as one who has gone through bad times in more than one marriage, I know that people don't change as dramatically as this novel portrays, but I enjoyed the characters and got caught up in the plot so I'm giving it 4 stars because I did enjoy it very much. Says more about me than the book, I suspect.
Rosa Jamali
"A woman is going to die "; a very nice theme itself and then the haunting descriptions of the writer as she loses her abilities to walk and move and speak. Just before that the husband was involved with another love affair and then there's a reunion to remember what you had and ignored ; but a little bit fluffy here ; is it a pity or love? . Before long everything has changed and everybody behaves in a different way which is unbelievable!!!!....
Brandie
question 2 22 Mar 03, 2012 07:27PM
  • Love and Other Natural Disasters
  • Francesca's Party
  • Tear Stained Beaches
  • Seven Minutes to Noon
  • Guilty Pleasures
  • Some Enchanted Season (Bethlehem, #2)
  • The Coming Home Place
  • The Four Seasons (Paperback)
  • Swallowing Grandma
  • The Wishing Game
  • A Perfect Marriage (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #621)
  • Candy Candy Volume 1
  • Namaku Hiroko
  • Bitter Sweet
  • Fire and Rain
  • A Theory Of Relativity
  • Goodnight Lady
  • An Accidental Woman
Joy Fielding (née Tepperman; born March 18, 1945) is a Canadian novelist and actress. She lives in Toronto, Ontario.

Born in Toronto, Ontario, she graduated from the University of Toronto in 1966, with a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature. As Joy Tepperman, she had a brief acting career, appearing in the film Winter Kept Us Warm (1965) and in an episode of Gunsmoke. She later changed her last n...more
More about Joy Fielding...
See Jane Run Still Life Charley's Web Mad River Road Now You See Her