Dinner for Two

Dinner for Two

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  856 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Dave Harding's got a wonderful wife, a beautiful home, and a job he could do in his sleep... So no one is more surprised than Dave when he hears his own biological clock start ticking. Loudly. Unfortunately, his better half, Izzy, has no nine-month plan for fat ankles or a credit line at Baby Gap. With even worse timing, the music magazine Dave writes for folds. Desperate...more
Paperback
Published September 16th 2002 (first published 2002)

The Writer
Welcome to the world of male chick lit a.k.a. “dicklit” in Danish.

This is actually my first time reading this kind of novel written by a man, and tell you what? It ain’t bad! As a matter of fact, reading this novel is healthy for the mind and soul *cough* now that you sort of able to figure out what’s inside a man’s head in a certain situation.

This novel is light, simple and divided into one-to five page “chapter” with a title – reflecting the simple minds of a man. The writing is hilarious yet...more
Ann Mulholland
I liked the story, its told by the male point of view and that was a nice change. Happily married man finds out that he has a teenage daughter from a long forgotten night. Well told
Juliana Graham
I've read a few of Mike Gayle's book and think that he has a uniquely identifiable style - you can tell it's a Mike Gayle book you are reading, which is not a bad thing.

Dave is a thirty something journalist, happily married but about to suffer a career crisis. However, an unexpected letter from a daughter he didn't even know existed is about to throw a rather large spanner in the works of Dave's life!

Mike Gayle's main characters are always pretty likeable and very believable - ordinary, every da...more
Carmen
Nov 19, 2013 Carmen added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Birgit
This is the second book by Mike Gayle that I read and once again it's a great male version of typical chick-lit. I don't know whether there is a term like bloke-lit, but as far as the content and fun goes it is just that. Once again he offers both male and female readers a fantastic read which gives insight into the male mind and he peppered the story with his well known light hearted humor.
So, boy finds out he has a daugther soon after his wife looses their first child. Trying to be a father t...more
C
Review: I really enjoy novels by this author, this will be the third novels I've read and I have others sitting on my shelves. I tend to read his novels in audiobook form and they are always narrated really well even though they've all been read by different people! This writer usually delivers a good dose of humour in his novels, and this was no different, it had me laughing out loud at several points and the general witty tone continues right the way through.

I like the idea for this storyline...more
Denz
Непретенциозен диклит с чудни музикални препратки.
Jozef Nakielski
It makes a change for me to, a male, to read chick lit by a male. Is that two wrongs making a right ? He certainly is the right guy for the job. It's a great bloke lit book written in the first person perspective. It has the feel of reading someone's diary. Chapters are small like a diary, each with relevant one word titles. Its the story about Mark Harding and his relationship with his wife of three years, six years in total. She wants children, he doesn't. Can they find a compromise ?
It's a n...more
Sheu
At first, the idea of reading short chapters (between two to five pages long) was a good one. Eventually, it became a chore because you want the book to finish soon so you can start on a new one instead of being stuck with the same one. I managed to finish the book anyway.

One thing I liked about the book was its typical British humour. The running jokes between the main male character Dave Harding and the other characters (his wife Izzy, his friends Stella, Lee, Trevor, and Jenny, his daughter N...more
Dora Okeyo
Title: I was drawn by the title, because I wondered which two people were dining and on what terms.
Story: Dave Harding, is a Music Journalist, and when the magazine he's working for folds, he is offered a job as an Agony Uncle for a Teen magazine, Teen Scene, but he gets a letter from a 13 year old girl who says that he's her father.
Characters: I loved Dave and Nicola. They were almost the same people to me, and how they carried along their conversations felt more of a good Father-Daughter conne...more
Hil
It's been many years (about 12?) since I read My Legendary Girlfriend, and I remember that I really enjoyed it and thought fondly of it for years, but now I can hardly remember what it was about. I also read The To Do List a few years ago and was less excited by that (but that was more fact than fiction). I was hoping that my opinion of him hadn't changed beyond repair and I'm happy to say that I loved this book and was quite gripped by the plot, not having known anything about it beforehand. It...more
Agi
Every time I read Mike's book I dream about such a man like the main hero. Well, too late:))) But anyway, it's not bad with mine:)
Mike Gayle always draws brilliant characters, very warm and very real, just like every one of us. They have the same problems like we have, with work, with children, with their personal lives and are coping with them like normal people. No fairy tales, no cinderellas, no princes... In this book I couldn't actually understand what Izzy's problem with Nicole is, she was...more
Kayleigh Dyer
A good book with an interesting storyline. It was an easy read and with a nice ending. I've read quite a few of Mike Gayle's books and this one follows a similar pattern to them. Only given it 3 stars because I never got excited or anything when I read it...it was good and not a lot more. Worth reading though, Mike Gayle is a good writer.
Harley
Awesome book.....well written.....funny,witty,engaging,interesting story line.....buoyant characters!!

I enjoyed this book so much I'm anticipating Mike Gayle's other male point of view novels.
Angie
This is the third book I read by Mike Gayle. His books are always funny and you feel with the characters.

This time, it is about David who works as a journalist for a music magazin, and music is his life. But there is his wife Izzy, who works also for a magazin. They are a lucky couple until Daves company has to fire him, because of a to low readership.Izzy offered him to write some columns for her women magazin. At the beginning he is sceptical but it turns out, that the women like his articles...more
Karschtl
The book reminded me a little of Tony Parson's "Man & Boy" and a little of "About a Boy" by Nick Hornby. Both times it's about a man and a boy, obviously. Here it is about a man and a girl, but apart from that not really different.
I wonder how much of it is autobiografical, since the physical description of the 1st person narrator fits perfectly to the photo of Mike Gayle on the back cover.
The language is simple English, really easy to read and understand. Therefore it took me only a day to...more
Arwen Telian
I got 'My Legendary Girlfriend' free with a magazine when I was 17, to this day I marvel at my luck! I loved Will's losernish, I loved the fact that he was still suffering from teenage angst at 26, I loved (and cringed) seeing my soppy self in him.

'Dinner for Two' is loveable for quite different reasons, but it sings of Mike's near omniscient understanding of relationships and how people get things wrong.

While 'My Legendary Girlfriend' will always be the most well-thumbed Mike Gayle book I own,...more
Silke
I really love Mike Gayle. This once again was a lovely book written by his hand. One of the best I read of him to be honest.
For me Gayle writes dicklit with a capital D :-) His books are funny, but never in a "haha way". No, they are taken from real life, with real life situations. When you laugh its always because the situation is so recognizable. It could be you out there. The same counts for the numberless heartwarming moments, for the pain and for the tears. Because Gayle doesn't only write...more
Tania
Loved it! Light and still not airy at all.
Jen Pierce
Feb 13, 2008 Jen Pierce rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jen by: Jen(n)
Shelves: fluff, 2008
I like this book, except for the plethora of music references. Reading this book was like hanging out with that guy who is always trying to one-up you by knowing the coolest band or talking about that one vinyl ep that no one ever know about. And frankly, if you're going to do that, you should do it right. Jeff Buckley's song is "Everybody Here Wants You" not "Everybody IN Here Wants You." I also thought it took a while to warm up and found some of the dialogue a bit forced. Letting go of my han...more
Morgen Bailey
A very heart-warming and heart-tugging book. Even though I've not been in Dave's situation (especially as I'm female!), it's very relatable and you're right there with him when he has some difficult choices to make.

This was the fourth of four audiobooks I listened to (back-to-back) by Mike Gayle and would certainly 'read' more, although I found this narrator (Fraser Ayres) really annoying and am glad that the other three books are other narrators.

Whatever the topic, Mike handles it well.
Teena in Toronto
I found that this book started out a bit slow and I was tempted to give up on it. But because I enjoyed Gayle's Turning Thirty, I persevered. And I'm glad I did.

Dave is a writer and his articles are included in the book ... I liked the writing style of Gayle, not Dave, and the short bit-sized chapters.

Would I recommend this book? Yes. It's interesting to read "lad lit" books for a chance.

Blog review: http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2007/03...
Dave used to write for a music magazine, a job he loved but has recently lost interest in. So he isn't heartbroken when the magazine folds so he goes looking for a new writing gig and finds one as an "agony uncle" at a teen mag. Initially, he thinks writing at a teen mag. is a bit silly but really gets into it before long. In a twist, he finds out he has a teenaged daughter and she wants to meet him. He realizes that he really wants a child and this girl is wonderful.
Joanie
Cute concept, a guy writes an advice colum for a teen magazine and he receive a letter from a young girl claiming to be his daughter. He has no clue he's a father but the story checks out and he begins a relationship with her (hiding from his wife at first) and it goes from there. Some parts were good, others were annoying. I didn't like the guy's wife much but she came around a bit in the end.
Tammy
A story about a guy who loses his job and starts writing an advice column for a teen magazine, where he eventually gets a letter from a young girl claiming to be his daughter. Great book, always wonderful to read Mike Gayle's writing because he shows situations from a man's perspective that is perfectly believable. Loved this one (not that it comes as a great shock, I love all his books)
Kerry
Again another thought provoking read from Mike Gayle. I'm really warming to his style of writing. It moves at a good pace and doesn't detract from the story, in fact I'm eager to find out what happens next most of the time.

It's refreshing to read a book from the male perspective while remaining sensitive to the likely readership being mostly female.
Stephanie
This was an excellent book. It is the opposite of traditional chic lit novels in that it is written from a mans point of view and he desperately wants a child. Dave finds out, by being a teenage magazine columnist, that he has a daughter he never knew about. It is a great story that kept me on my feet and always wanting more. It was a great quick read.
Jill
Quite a realistic tale of a couple 'uming' and 'ahing' about whether to have a family. After a failed pregnancy and erring on the side of a career the wife decides she is not and may never be willing to have another go. Then her husband discovers he has a child from past encounter. The impact is very realistically written.
Rachael
Dinner for Two is about a music journalist who goes to work for a teen magazine. He answers letters from teen girls and 2 months in to he job he receives a letter from a 14yr old girl who claims to be his daughter. The book takes place in London and is about Dave's relationship with his wife Izzy and his daughter Nicola.
The score is an average of the beginning and end (three stars) and the middle (five stars.) The relationship between Nicola and Dave was sweet, poignant, and real. While sometimes I found that the plot line dragged here and there, the interactions between characters were what really made the book for me.
  • Out of the Blue
  • How to Hide a Lion
  • My Fake Wedding
  • The Best Day of Someone Else's Life
  • Single White E-Mail
  • My First Murder (Maria Kallio, #1)
  • Wish You Were Here (Little Black Dress)
  • Best of Friends
I was born in the 70s — the 70s were great. I would recommend them to anyone.

I was also born in Birmingham — in my humble opinion the greatest city in the world with the nicest people too.

I used to live in London — a great city too. But a bit on the pricey side.

I also used to live in Manchester — another great city (although technically I lived in Salford which is next door but that’s sort of spli...more
More about Mike Gayle...
My Legendary Girlfriend Mr. Commitment Turning Thirty His 'N' Hers Brand New Friend

“I used to think I had all the time in the world to do everything I wanted. But what's the use of having all the time in the world if you're always wasting it on things that don't mean a thing?” 2 likes
“бебетата

- Е, кой от всички ще вземем? - питам аз.
Седем без четвърт е. С Изи стоим пред дълга редица кутийки с тестове за бременност в големия магазин "Буутс", на Оксфорд стрийт. Не зная нищо за този вид пособия, всичко това е абсолютно ново за мен, дори не бях сигурен на кой щанд се намират в магазина. Може би в "Хигиена за жената"? Или близо до "Грижи за косата"? Между сандвичите и хладилниците за безалкохолни напитки? Оказва се, че са на един рафт с противозачатъчните, което ми се вижда забавно, още повече, че над щанда виси ироничният според мен надпис "Семейно планиране".
- Преди няколко месеца правихме анкета сред читателите и клиентите - казва Изи, докато внимателно изследваме редовете с различни тестове. - Този - тя посочва една тъмносиня кутия - и този - друга пастелнозелена опаковка в противоположния край на лавицата - заеха първите места.
Взимам една, виждам цената и се ужасявам.
- Сигурно има някаква грешка?
Тя също поглежда цифрата.
- Не, скъпи. Толкова струват.
- Защо?
- Защото толкова струват.
- Навсякъде?
- Навсякъде.
- За тези пари ще си купя приличен компактдиск - установявам намръщено.
- Сигурно, ако зависи от теб - отвръща ми усмихнато Изи. Има прекрасна усмивка, тази моя жена. От онези, които те карат да се чувстваш щастлив, защото си жив. - Кой диск би си купил?
- На Тиндърстикс. "Simple Pleasures". Убийствен албум.
- Но ти вече го имаш, доколкото знам?
- Да - отвръщам. - Обаче е толкова добър, че бих искал да го имам два пъти.”
0 likes