Start by marking “Dinner for Two ” as Want to Read:
Dinner for Two

Dinner for Two

3.56  ·  Rating Details ·  1,182 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
Dave Harding's got a wonderful wife, a beautiful home, and a job he could do in his sleep... So no one is more surprised than Dave when he hears his own biological clock start ticking. Loudly. Unfortunately, his better half, Izzy, has no nine-month plan for fat ankles or a credit line at Baby Gap. With even worse timing, the music magazine Dave writes for folds. Desperate ...more
Published September 16th 2002 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dinner for Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinner for Two

Dari
May 20, 2017 Dari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Boredom. :/
It wasn't that bad, but not so good as well.
Just... boring
The Writer
Aug 30, 2009 The Writer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to the world of male chick lit a.k.a. “dicklit” in Danish.

This is actually my first time reading this kind of novel written by a man, and tell you what? It ain’t bad! As a matter of fact, reading this novel is healthy for the mind and soul *cough* now that you sort of able to figure out what’s inside a man’s head in a certain situation.

This novel is light, simple and divided into one-to five page “chapter” with a title – reflecting the simple minds of a man. The writing is hilarious yet
Thomas Strömquist
Aug 26, 2014 Thomas Strömquist rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-collection
Extremely nice and funny feel-good by Mike Gayle, I would be hard put out to find a better beach book than this one. Luckily I could blame the tears in my eyes over the sweet ending on salt water and sun.
Ann Mulholland
I liked the story, its told by the male point of view and that was a nice change. Happily married man finds out that he has a teenage daughter from a long forgotten night. Well told
Juliana Graham
I've read a few of Mike Gayle's book and think that he has a uniquely identifiable style - you can tell it's a Mike Gayle book you are reading, which is not a bad thing.

Dave is a thirty something journalist, happily married but about to suffer a career crisis. However, an unexpected letter from a daughter he didn't even know existed is about to throw a rather large spanner in the works of Dave's life!

Mike Gayle's main characters are always pretty likeable and very believable - ordinary, every da
Carmen
Nov 19, 2013 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Birgit
Apr 19, 2011 Birgit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book by Mike Gayle that I read and once again it's a great male version of typical chick-lit. I don't know whether there is a term like bloke-lit, but as far as the content and fun goes it is just that. Once again he offers both male and female readers a fantastic read which gives insight into the male mind and he peppered the story with his well known light hearted humor.
So, boy finds out he has a daugther soon after his wife looses their first child. Trying to be a father t
Denz
Непретенциозен диклит с чудни музикални препратки.
Fabulous Book Fiend
Review: I really enjoy novels by this author, this will be the third novels I've read and I have others sitting on my shelves. I tend to read his novels in audiobook form and they are always narrated really well even though they've all been read by different people! This writer usually delivers a good dose of humour in his novels, and this was no different, it had me laughing out loud at several points and the general witty tone continues right the way through.

I like the idea for this storyline
Dora Okeyo
Aug 29, 2012 Dora Okeyo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: I was drawn by the title, because I wondered which two people were dining and on what terms.
Story: Dave Harding, is a Music Journalist, and when the magazine he's working for folds, he is offered a job as an Agony Uncle for a Teen magazine, Teen Scene, but he gets a letter from a 13 year old girl who says that he's her father.
Characters: I loved Dave and Nicola. They were almost the same people to me, and how they carried along their conversations felt more of a good Father-Daughter conne
Sheu Quen
Nov 18, 2011 Sheu Quen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tickles-me-pink
At first, the idea of reading short chapters (between two to five pages long) was a good one. Eventually, it became a chore because you want the book to finish soon so you can start on a new one instead of being stuck with the same one. I managed to finish the book anyway.

One thing I liked about the book was its typical British humour. The running jokes between the main male character Dave Harding and the other characters (his wife Izzy, his friends Stella, Lee, Trevor, and Jenny, his daughter N
Monet
Dec 08, 2015 Monet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dinner For Two is a splendid book for young adult readers, Mike Gayle does a wonderful job of putting life in different perspectives with his man character Dave. Dave begins to realize that his heart has been empty for quite sometime with the loss of not having a child. When Dave's wife Izzy gets pregnant Dave is more then ecstatic. However, his dream of becoming a father is crushed when she has a miscarriage. As the book goes on Dave finds hope again in becoming a father when he starts his new ...more
Hil
Mar 26, 2011 Hil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge2011
It's been many years (about 12?) since I read My Legendary Girlfriend, and I remember that I really enjoyed it and thought fondly of it for years, but now I can hardly remember what it was about. I also read The To Do List a few years ago and was less excited by that (but that was more fact than fiction). I was hoping that my opinion of him hadn't changed beyond repair and I'm happy to say that I loved this book and was quite gripped by the plot, not having known anything about it beforehand. It ...more
Agi
Jun 06, 2011 Agi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Every time I read Mike's book I dream about such a man like the main hero. Well, too late:))) But anyway, it's not bad with mine:)
Mike Gayle always draws brilliant characters, very warm and very real, just like every one of us. They have the same problems like we have, with work, with children, with their personal lives and are coping with them like normal people. No fairy tales, no cinderellas, no princes... In this book I couldn't actually understand what Izzy's problem with Nicole is, she was
Nick Davies
Jan 13, 2016 Nick Davies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
For the first hundred or so pages of this, I was thinking 'this is perfectly pleasant, enjoyable and light, but *very* much a bloke version of some of the disposable chick-lit out there' and was wondering whether it'd have the momentum to keep me interested till the end. After that point, the key story twist occurred and the remainder of the book was a much better standard of intelligent contemporary fiction in the Tony Parsons mould, and I was rapt for the last couple of hundred pages of it. Th ...more
Karschtl
Mar 26, 2008 Karschtl rated it really liked it
The book reminded me a little of Tony Parson's "Man & Boy" and a little of "About a Boy" by Nick Hornby. Both times it's about a man and a boy, obviously. Here it is about a man and a girl, but apart from that not really different.
I wonder how much of it is autobiografical, since the physical description of the 1st person narrator fits perfectly to the photo of Mike Gayle on the back cover.
The language is simple English, really easy to read and understand. Therefore it took me only a day to
Angie
Oct 29, 2008 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, humor
This is the third book I read by Mike Gayle. His books are always funny and you feel with the characters.

This time, it is about David who works as a journalist for a music magazin, and music is his life. But there is his wife Izzy, who works also for a magazin. They are a lucky couple until Daves company has to fire him, because of a to low readership.Izzy offered him to write some columns for her women magazin. At the beginning he is sceptical but it turns out, that the women like his articles
Jozef Nakielski
Jan 25, 2014 Jozef Nakielski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teresas-library
It makes a change for me to, a male, to read chick lit by a male. Is that two wrongs making a right ? He certainly is the right guy for the job. It's a great bloke lit book written in the first person perspective. It has the feel of reading someone's diary. Chapters are small like a diary, each with relevant one word titles. Its the story about Mark Harding and his relationship with his wife of three years, six years in total. She wants children, he doesn't. Can they find a compromise ?
It's a n
Morgen Bailey
Apr 09, 2013 Morgen Bailey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very heart-warming and heart-tugging book. Even though I've not been in Dave's situation (especially as I'm female!), it's very relatable and you're right there with him when he has some difficult choices to make.

This was the fourth of four audiobooks I listened to (back-to-back) by Mike Gayle and would certainly 'read' more, although I found this narrator (Fraser Ayres) really annoying and am glad that the other three books are other narrators.

Whatever the topic, Mike handles it well.
Silke
Dec 01, 2012 Silke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I really love Mike Gayle. This once again was a lovely book written by his hand. One of the best I read of him to be honest.
For me Gayle writes dicklit with a capital D :-) His books are funny, but never in a "haha way". No, they are taken from real life, with real life situations. When you laugh its always because the situation is so recognizable. It could be you out there. The same counts for the numberless heartwarming moments, for the pain and for the tears. Because Gayle doesn't only write
Jen
Jan 28, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jen by: Jen(n)
Shelves: fluff, 2008
I like this book, except for the plethora of music references. Reading this book was like hanging out with that guy who is always trying to one-up you by knowing the coolest band or talking about that one vinyl ep that no one ever know about. And frankly, if you're going to do that, you should do it right. Jeff Buckley's song is "Everybody Here Wants You" not "Everybody IN Here Wants You." I also thought it took a while to warm up and found some of the dialogue a bit forced. Letting go of my han ...more
Arwen Telian
I got 'My Legendary Girlfriend' free with a magazine when I was 17, to this day I marvel at my luck! I loved Will's losernish, I loved the fact that he was still suffering from teenage angst at 26, I loved (and cringed) seeing my soppy self in him.

'Dinner for Two' is loveable for quite different reasons, but it sings of Mike's near omniscient understanding of relationships and how people get things wrong.

While 'My Legendary Girlfriend' will always be the most well-thumbed Mike Gayle book I own,
Dave used to write for a music magazine, a job he loved but has recently lost interest in. So he isn't heartbroken when the magazine folds so he goes looking for a new writing gig and finds one as an "agony uncle" at a teen mag. Initially, he thinks writing at a teen mag. is a bit silly but really gets into it before long. In a twist, he finds out he has a teenaged daughter and she wants to meet him. He realizes that he really wants a child and this girl is wonderful.
Vicki
Aug 25, 2014 Vicki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up quite hastily for the challenge 2000 in Bound Together. It was very light and engaging with very short chapters that had me finishing it much sooner than expected. Romantic drama from a selfless man's perspective was a new perspective though not enlightening or anything. I cringed to see him making the choices that I knew would gt him into trouble. Overall everything that happens is fairly typical or cliche but the book is quite enjoyable regardless.
Teena in Toronto
I found that this book started out a bit slow and I was tempted to give up on it. But because I enjoyed Gayle's Turning Thirty, I persevered. And I'm glad I did.

Dave is a writer and his articles are included in the book ... I liked the writing style of Gayle, not Dave, and the short bit-sized chapters.

Would I recommend this book? Yes. It's interesting to read "lad lit" books for a chance.

Blog review: http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2007/03...
Kim
Jan 28, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
Why is it that every book I seem to read nowadays all have crappy ending?

This book seems like a really good one and as I said, I had high hopes right from the start and the thing is, it holds up, right until the last part. It felt like I was soaring so high from the excitement of what will happen next only to be let down by the ending.

Still, an okay ending doesn't ruin thr good middle.
Loaa Zahar
Aug 13, 2015 Loaa Zahar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a very good-light story, and it's not as heavy as other novels so you can't quite call it a novel.

It was a bit predictable, in the miscarriage and the afterwards couple's state, yet I was excited to know what would happen next as I was reading it, I really enjoyed my time.

well written one. :")
Kayleigh Dyer
A good book with an interesting storyline. It was an easy read and with a nice ending. I've read quite a few of Mike Gayle's books and this one follows a similar pattern to them. Only given it 3 stars because I never got excited or anything when I read it...it was good and not a lot more. Worth reading though, Mike Gayle is a good writer.
Jul 03, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The score is an average of the beginning and end (three stars) and the middle (five stars.) The relationship between Nicola and Dave was sweet, poignant, and real. While sometimes I found that the plot line dragged here and there, the interactions between characters were what really made the book for me.
Tammy
Jul 28, 2011 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, chick-lit
A story about a guy who loses his job and starts writing an advice column for a teen magazine, where he eventually gets a letter from a young girl claiming to be his daughter. Great book, always wonderful to read Mike Gayle's writing because he shows situations from a man's perspective that is perfectly believable. Loved this one (not that it comes as a great shock, I love all his books)
  • Talviunta : 1. osa
  • Girls' Night Out, Boys' Night In
  • Always the Bridesmaid
  • One for My Baby
  • Love Lives
  • A Friend of the Family
  • Things Can Only Get Better: Eighteen Miserable Years in the Life of a Labour Supporter, 1979-1997
  • No Ordinary Princess (Small Town Swains)
  • Amy's Honeymoon
  • The Theatrical Tapes of Leonard Thynn
  • One Snowy Night
  • Nan Goldin
  • Toisaalla
I was born in the 70s — the 70s were great. I would recommend them to anyone.

I was also born in Birmingham — in my humble opinion the greatest city in the world with the nicest people too.

I used to live in London — a great city too. But a bit on the pricey side.

I also used to live in Manchester — another great city (although technically I lived in Salford which is next door but that’s sort of spli
More about Mike Gayle...

“I used to think I had all the time in the world to do everything I wanted. But what's the use of having all the time in the world if you're always wasting it on things that don't mean a thing?” 2 likes
“бебетата

- Е, кой от всички ще вземем? - питам аз.
Седем без четвърт е. С Изи стоим пред дълга редица кутийки с тестове за бременност в големия магазин "Буутс", на Оксфорд стрийт. Не зная нищо за този вид пособия, всичко това е абсолютно ново за мен, дори не бях сигурен на кой щанд се намират в магазина. Може би в "Хигиена за жената"? Или близо до "Грижи за косата"? Между сандвичите и хладилниците за безалкохолни напитки? Оказва се, че са на един рафт с противозачатъчните, което ми се вижда забавно, още повече, че над щанда виси ироничният според мен надпис "Семейно планиране".
- Преди няколко месеца правихме анкета сред читателите и клиентите - казва Изи, докато внимателно изследваме редовете с различни тестове. - Този - тя посочва една тъмносиня кутия - и този - друга пастелнозелена опаковка в противоположния край на лавицата - заеха първите места.
Взимам една, виждам цената и се ужасявам.
- Сигурно има някаква грешка?
Тя също поглежда цифрата.
- Не, скъпи. Толкова струват.
- Защо?
- Защото толкова струват.
- Навсякъде?
- Навсякъде.
- За тези пари ще си купя приличен компактдиск - установявам намръщено.
- Сигурно, ако зависи от теб - отвръща ми усмихнато Изи. Има прекрасна усмивка, тази моя жена. От онези, които те карат да се чувстваш щастлив, защото си жив. - Кой диск би си купил?
- На Тиндърстикс. "Simple Pleasures". Убийствен албум.
- Но ти вече го имаш, доколкото знам?
- Да - отвръщам. - Обаче е толкова добър, че бих искал да го имам два пъти.”
0 likes