Start by marking “The Shining” as Want to Read:
The Shining

The Shining (The Shining #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  566,573 ratings  ·  9,788 reviews

"YOU'RE THE CARETAKER, SIR. YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN THE CARETAKER. I SHOULD KNOW, SIR. I'VE ALWAYS BEEN HERE...."

-- DELBERT GRADY OF THE OVERLOOK HOTEL

THE SHINING

First published in 1977, The Shining quickly became a benchmark in the literary career of Stephen King. This tale of a troubled man hired to care for a remote mountain resort over the winter, his loyal wife, and

Published October 1st 1978 by Signet (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Shining, please sign up.

Matt Flowers Yes, definitely! It's amazing the all around suspense is just thrilling. Just read it, I guarantee you won't be sorry.
Christian Thorpe They hint towards the answer, one character asking the parents "you do know why his name is Tony, right?" and later in the book Danny's middle name is…moreThey hint towards the answer, one character asking the parents "you do know why his name is Tony, right?" and later in the book Danny's middle name is revealed to be Anthony. Tony is Danny's older self.(less)

Earline
This scene from Friends pretty much sums up my feelings about this book:

"Rachel: Hmm. (she opens the freezer) Umm, why do you have a copy of The Shining in your freezer?

Joey: Oh, I was reading it last night, and I got scared, so.

Rachel: But ah, you’re safe from it if it’s in the freezer?

Joey: Well, safer. Y'know, I mean I never start reading The Shining, without making sure we’ve got plenty of room in the freezer, y'know.

Rachel: How often do you read it?

Joey: Haven’t you ever read the same book
sckenda
Apr 26, 2014 sckenda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Coping with Kid Fears
Are you nostalgic for your childhood? How about your kid fears? Do you remember them? Stephen King returned me to my kid fears. Like Danny Torrance, I was a frightened and sensitive child during the early nineteen-seventies. Some of my kid fears came true, as Danny’s did for him.
Are you on fire,
From the years?
What would you give for your
Kid fears?

-- “Kid Fears,” Indigo Girls.
While reading “The Shining,” I revisited my kid fears-- as if walking through a bell-bottomed-shaped portal into the s
Stephen
QUESTION: Is Stephen King the BEST PURE STORYTELLER of the 20th Century ?

ANSWER: Who knows...I haven’t got the slightest wisp of the faintest fragment of a lingering shadow of a clue how to answer that manwich-sized question. However, I do think that in order to have a credible debate on the subject, you would need to include the Prince of the Prolific Page Turner in the argument. That says something to me and it got me thinking that there is a lot to like (and even love) about much of King’s wo
Kat Stark

Buddyread with my lovely ladies: Anasylvia & Jenna

This is will be a personal nonreview, so if you aren't interested in those...don't read further along and go find a review that suits your needs. It is relevant to the book, but it's more conversational than anything

With King, I feel like I know all about him. He's a very laidback and funny person. I've been reading his books this year and for each one I've done an unconventional review, so I shall continue to do so in Ode of the great King.
Nandakishore Varma
Quite simply put, The Shining is the best horror story I have ever read. It scared the hell out of me.

Over a period of time, I have noticed certain standard "motifs" in horror stories. One of these I call "The Lost Child". Such stories will typically involve a child, who can see what the silly grownups cannot see (or, even if they do see, don't acknowledge because it goes against reason and logic): and who fights, however high the odds stacked against him/ her are. Danny Torrance is such a boy.

D
Jeffrey Keeten
Kemper
Even though the film version of this one from Stanley Kubrick is generally considered a horror classic, Stephen King has never been shy about making his dislike of it known. He hates it so much that he was heavily involved in making a more faithful adaptation of it as TV mini-series in 1997. (This inferior version invited comparisons of Stephen Weber from Wings to one of Jack Nicholson’s most iconic performances. So that worked well….)

Considering Uncle Stevie’s longstanding grudge about it, I w
Will Byrnes
If you have not read The Shining already do not overlook the opportunity presented by the publication of Doctor Sleep, the sequel, to revisit one of the best ghost stories of our time. The appearance of the follow up offers a perfect justification for stepping through those bat-wing doors for the first time.

description
1st Edition cover – Published January 28, 1977 – 447 pps

It has been a lifetime since I read The Shining for the first time, over thirty years ago. I enjoyed it then for its effectiveness in t
Dd

Hello Readers.

Have you heard the tale of the Seven Wives of Bluebeard?

Once upon a time there was this powerful noble immensely wealthy.Everyone called him Bluebeard because of his large, ugly blue beard.He had married several times but time and again all of his wives died.No one really knew how.

And then one day he married again.A lovely, young girl.Whenever Bluebeard had to go away, he would give her all the keys of his home.He told her she could use any key to go inside which ever room she des
Delee
Delee?

Yes Danny...

photo 1e1983d7-a7ae-44a0-9566-14fb85e0a3af_zps2b991dd1.png

Do you feel bad?

No Danny, I just really hated your performance in the movie version of THE SHINING.

photo 710720b8-8cfe-467c-b9cf-ef5ea227ea52_zps27155419.jpg

Really Delee?

Yes Danny, I hated it more than anything else in the whooole wiiiiide woooorld.

photo ba4f97a5-3a57-443a-85d5-fff7629df36b_zps805b97d4.jpg

I know this is supposed to be a review of the novel THE SHINING, and not the movie...but I can't review the book on its own. I tried...I really did.

I first read THE SHINING just before the movie came out on video- some time in the 80s- because usually if I watch the movie first, it is very
Dawn
I had to wait a week after reading this to write my review. Why? I couldn't fit my computer under my bed with me to type it up.

Fricken terrifying. Terrifying! The entire time I spent reading this I felt sick to my stomach with dread. I was jumpy, paranoid, the whole shamboozle. King really gets into your head with this... He takes you right into the character's subconscious, and as they are slowly driven bonkers, you are driven bonkers right along with them.

Is it sad that even though I knew it
Dan Schwent
Recovering alcoholic Jack Torrance takes a job as caretaker of the Overlook Hotel, bringing his family with him. But can even his son Danny's special gift, The Shining, stop him from going mad and butchering his family like other caretakers before him?

Yes, I'm several decades late to the party in reading this but after reading Joe Hill's NOS4A2, I had to read my first non-Dark Tower Stephen King book in years to see how the old man did horror back in the day. I'm not sure this was such a good id
Brad
Once upon a time, there was a young man who believed that books were always better than movies. Everyone whose opinion he respected told him it was so, and he believed it must be. And for a time he saw nothing to shake this belief. He read Dickens and saw filmed versions and knew it was so. He read Dumas and no version of Musketeers could shake his conviction. Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, and Scarlet Pimpernel all bore this out. But the young man discovered that it wasn't just the cla ...more
Will M.
I tend to stay away from the horror genre, because I get scared too easily. I don't watch horror movies or TV shows, because I don't want to be scared when I'm alone in my room at night. I wasn't planning on reading this, but I decided to man up and do so. Overall, I'm more satisfied than disappointed. Also more fascinated than terrified.

The Overlook Hotel is full of mysteries, and Danny Torrance knows about that best. A 5 year old boy who received such a harsh "gift" called "The Shining". Jack,
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Oct 15, 2013 Stacia (the 2010 club) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Buddy read with Rachel
The hotel is getting stronger. It wants to hurt all of us.

3.5 stars. I have to admit to having an interest in The Shining because of the setting being positioned on the outskirts of Rocky Mountain National Park. This is a place near and dear to me, one which I've visited many times.

The world famous Stanley Hotel, where Stephen King drew inspiration to write The Shining, and was later used on film for the lesser-known mini-series (not the movie).

I took that picture on my last visit to Estes Pa
Jason Koivu
I would love to get a gig as the caretaker for a remote hotel over winter, said no one after reading this.

The Shining is about...oh come on...If you don't know what The Shining is about by now it's because you've been living under a rock in the back of a cave for the last few decades, and frankly, you've got more important things to catch up on. Here, let me get you started: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFSyBB...

The first third of the book provides a great set up to the horror that awaits, eve
Lena
I hadn't really realized just how deeply this story is embedded in the collective unconscious until I mentioned to a friend a few years back that my now husband and I were considering getting married at The Stanley Hotel, the Colorado landmark where the movie version of this book was set.

"Are you insane?" she said to me. "You cannot do that. I will spend the entire ceremony waiting for blood to start pouring out the elevators."

We got married down the road instead.
Kira
Sep 20, 2011 Kira rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Valiant King fans
Recommended to Kira by: A valiant King fan
One of the few good things my father ever bothered to give me was an interest in Stephen King. Trufax.

Look, I'm a YA girl. I read juvenile crap, and then I tear it apart afterwards, and that's good for me. But every so often, wading through a miasma of commercialized garbage gets a little tough on the ol' thinker, and you have to pick up a real book and do some real reading.

This book is a classic for me, more than Things Fall Apart or Wuthering Heights or other such poorly written, overpraised
K.D. Absolutely
Oct 27, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2010)
Shelves: 1001-core, horror
God knows I tried very hard to like this book. Two reasons why I struggled very hard reading and liking this book:

1) I saw the movie prior to reading the book. I liked the movie. Contrary to King's comment that he did not like it (at first; later he recanted and said he liked it already), I enjoyed the movie compared to the book. But while reading, I just did not feel the same eagerness and fright as I knew who the main characters were, the plot, the conflict, the climax but the ending was fuzzy
Shayantani Das
This book was an utter failure for me in respect of a horror novel.

Didn’t scare me, nah, not at all, didn’t even make me wince. And I am just 17 and finished this novel around midnight, in my bed, where I sleep alone, with windows in my room which makes strange creaking noises.

Now, if I mentally remove the horror tag from the novel, then I might give it a 3.5 star.

Reasons: Nice plot, nice insight into an alcoholic’s mind, Jack and Wendy’s back story, the chilling detail of Jack’s father (only
Rowena
I haven’t read Stephen King in years and The Shining came highly recommended. It’s been quite difficult to convince me to read a book of a movie I’ve already watched and I’ve watched The Shining countless times. However, I am so glad I read this book.

This is one of the best psychological horrors I’ve ever read. It definitely goes into more detail than the movie, so much so that I actually had more sympathy for Jack. I could also understand Wendy’s pain better and I became quite the fan of Danny
Trudi
Jack Torrence thought: officious little prick ~The Shining (1977)
**Note: I chose not to put this review behind a spoiler tag. Below I discuss both the book and the movie assuming if you're reading this, you're familiar with both.

Even though Stephen King's primary reputation has been 'America's boogeyman', I can count on one hand the number of pure horror novels I feel he's published (and they all come early in his career) -- 'Salem's Lot, Pet Sematary, It, Misery and of course, The Shining. King
Tally
I don't know how he does it.

Maybe it's all in the details.

Stephen King can turn a story into something so real and so terrifying all at once.

His character development is insane - both granular and fluid. He can make you understand a character so thoroughly, and make you feel for a character so deeply. The fact that he does this in an eerie and frightening setting is even more of a triumph.

Young Danny Torrance is one of my favorite characters of all time. He is wise beyond his years yet still i
Becky
This has always been one of my favorite books. I have read it more times than I can count since the first time, when I was about 9 or 10 I think. I've gone through at least three copies, and I am sure that I will go through at least that many, if not more, in the future. The Shining is one of those books that I can re-read over and over. I'm sure that it must bug Stephen King that his older books are the ones that people always feel this way about... but the money I spend in new copies will, I h ...more
Rebecca
3.5
I expected to be blown away....I really really wasn't.

Always slightly unwilling to go against what everyone thinks but I can't help it. It leaves me confused thinking, really? This book? What's wrong with me.

I like some parts of it, the characters were great to read. I loved the spookiness of the hotel and the ghostly business going on.

But frankly.....

Scary topiary? No
Scary fire hose things? No

These things are giggle worthy I'm afraid Mr. King

No matter how much freakiness you put into it, a
Sarah Churchill
People told me the book is better - and very different - from the movie. They were absolutely right on both counts, I don't think I can ever watch that movie in the same way again.

It's creepy, well plotted, developed and executed. The pace builds gradually to an explosive finale that I devoured because I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT WAS COMING. That's how different it is from the movie, I actually couldn't tell how it was going to end, and who was going to make it out alive.

There's also more of a paranorma
Arah-Lynda
I agree with all the other goodread’s voices that say this, is an easy five stars. Done. Even though I have seen the movie at least twice and I am a consistent King fan, with, okay, a couple of exceptions, this story reeled me in from the get go.

Is it dark and horrifying? Why yes it is, indeed, I would add that anyone seriously interested in writing great suspense, should pay close attention. It is told by a Master.

The movie positively pales in comparison.

Read it! Everybody should.
Edward Lorn
Nov 17, 2014 Edward Lorn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Edward by: Mom
Lou
"The place Tony had warned him against. It was here. It was her. Whatever Redrum was, it was here."

The Shining brings the reader to the supernatural and the psychotic, it displays Stephen Kings skill and masterful in the conjuring of a tale with everyday people, everyday demons and monsters within, pitted against adversity and the supernatural.
He chose a hotel as a setting for this tale, an eery insidious place that summons the unsavoury of people and once allowed room and the person enraged tur
Wart Hill
buddy read with Sha and Andrea.

prepare yourselves for creepy gifs.

And the red death held sway over all.

This book is insidious.

It creeps into your mind, slowly, carefully. The Overlook torments not just the characters on the pages, but the reader, hooked and engrossed and unable to put it down. King's writing builds it up slowly to the final show down between one little boy and the hotel that wants to destroy everything he holds dear.

And I loved every minute of it. Even when I was creeped out and
  • The Bachman Books
  • Heart-Shaped Box
  • The Zombie Room
  • The Great and Secret Show (Book of the Art, #1)
  • Beyond Black
  • The Stand: Soul Survivors
  • Boom!
  • Swan Song
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • Shadowland
  • A Stir of Echoes
  • The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2)
  • The Dark
  • The Mummy
More about Stephen King...
The Stand It Misery Carrie The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)

65 trivia questions
7 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Sometimes human places, create inhuman monsters.” 547 likes
“Wendy? Darling? Light, of my life. I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just going to bash your brains in.” 112 likes