Start by marking “Benjamin Franklin: An Intimate Portrait” as Want to Read:
Benjamin Franklin: An Intimate Portrait

Benjamin Franklin: An Intimate Portrait

For many people, Benjamin Franklin remains a puzzling figure in American history. This book tells Franklin's absorbing life story. In lively and informal style, Thomas Fleming presents a well-rounded account of probably the most versatile and accomplished man of his time-his boyhood in Boston...his career as a newspaperman and writer...his scientific pursuits and invention ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by ibooks

To ask other readers questions about Benjamin Franklin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Benjamin Franklin

Patricia
Mar 05, 2012 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an older book that I picked up several years ago at a library book sale. Thomas Fleming is a very good writer. The book was amazing.
I am not a big fan of US history. But this held my interest all the way.
Benjamin Franklin was responsible for so much of our founding principles. It was a revelation. Also I was struck by the political scene that Mr. Fleming described. The problems with debt, war, and the petty politics that effected our Revolutionary War and Independence. Not so much has
Renny
Dec 01, 2013 Renny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while, I read a book that brings intense sorrow at it's ending *because* it has ended. This is one such book. I have always respected the historical figure of Benjamin Franklin and the accomplishments about which I knew only a smattering. This book delves much more deeply into the character, the relationships and his incredibly crucial role navigating a very complicated political time. The energy and wisdom with which he applied himself to those tasks that came his way as well th ...more
Phillip Herndon
Flawed editing

The subject of this book is very attractive and the era the author describes is fascinating. However the flow of reading was frequently interrupted by flawed grammar, misuse or lack of punctuation, or misused words. It was a daunting effort to get through this book. However with some basic editing this book would have been a good resource and an enjoyable time. In future the author would do his readers a favor by having his writing thoroughly edited before publication.
Zach Rebackoff
Jul 12, 2016 Zach Rebackoff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Praise to the Author

Pleased am I to know the true meaning of Franklin's life, goals, and ultimate place in our history, way beyond an electricity association.
Ckatims
Jul 30, 2016 Ckatims rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly inspiring

Ben Franklin understood the American spirit. Independence demands freedom and Freedom is never safe. Franklin chose character over expedient solutions. He believed that ethical considerations weren't just "the right thing to do" being politely added to the realistic factors. Franklin knew that equitable freedom requires ethical administration.
Chris
Kindle freebie.

A rather interesting overview of Franklin's time in Paris during the Revolution. There is some aspects that are left out. Franklin's bad press gets left back, but still an intersting read.
Steve
Sep 06, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, biography
Very informative book about Franklin and the politics behind the scenes in the years leading up to and during the American Revolution and insight into some of our Founding Fathers.
Lillie
This is one of the New Word City shorts offered free on Kindle for a day. Each book is a short biographical profile or historical event. I learn something from each one.
SheLove2Read
Feb 27, 2012 SheLove2Read rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I'm glad this was a freebie because it turned out to be rather boring. I expected a little more about one of America's greatest sons.
Heather
Jul 26, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Really short account of some of Franklin's habits in Paris; contained some interesting facts and anecdotes.
Cameron Martin
Cameron Martin rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Tara
Tara is currently reading it
Sep 18, 2016
Moorthy Kumarasamy
Moorthy Kumarasamy marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Mark Zaharko
Mark Zaharko marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Shawn Lewis
Shawn Lewis marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Mark
Mark is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2016
Barbara DeGregorio
Barbara DeGregorio rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Rachael Stewart
Rachael Stewart marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Rochelle
Rochelle is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2016
Mslizzie
Mslizzie rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Amy
Amy added it
Aug 22, 2016
Melinda
Melinda rated it really liked it
Andrew Etzler
Andrew Etzler marked it as to-read
Debra D. McFarland
Debra D. McFarland rated it it was amazing
Jill Campbell
Jill Campbell rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Linda Hoffmaster
Linda Hoffmaster marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
  • Thomas Jefferson and the New Nation: A Biography
  • Know the Past, Find the Future: The New York Public Library at 100
  • The Vikings
  • Large Target (Josephine Fuller, #2)
  • A Child al Confino: A True Story of Escape in War-Time Italy
  • Let's Get It On!: The Making of MMA and Its Ultimate Referee
  • Adams: An American Dynasty
  • Personality Plus at Work: How to Work Successfully with Anyone
  • Murder in Store
  • Zombie Bits (Murdermouth)
  • Around the World in 80 Dates: Confessions of a Christian Serial Dater
  • True Crime in the Civil War: Cases of Murder, Treason, Counterfeiting, Massacre, Plunder & Abuse
  • Murder in the Round (Pamela Barnes Acoustic Mystery #5)
  • Working Successfully with Screwed-Up People
  • As a Decade Fades
  • The Frenzy Way (The Frenzy Wolves, #1)
  • Miracle Boy Grows Up: How the Disability Rights Revolution Saved My Sanity
  • Desert Wives (A Lena Jones Mystery #2)
Thomas J. Fleming is an historian and historical novelist, with a special interest in the American Revolution. He was born in 1927 in Jersey City, New Jersey, the son of a World War I hero who was a leader in Jersey City politics for three decades. Before her marriage, his mother, Katherine Dolan Fleming, was a teacher in the Jersey City Public School System.

After graduating from St. Peter's Prepa
More about Thomas J. Fleming...

“no more effect upon [him] than the miracles of Moses had on the heart of Pharaoh.” The argument boiled” 0 likes
“dedimus” 0 likes