Start by marking “Duck for President” as Want to Read:
Duck for President

Duck for President (Farmer Brown's Barnyard Tales)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  6,210 Ratings  ·  385 Reviews
First published in 2004, this New York Times bestseller is reissued. Duck makes another bid for the White House, in this comic take on modern politics that features updated jacket art for the 2008 presidential campaign. Full color.
Published January 1st 2008 by Atheneum (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Duck for President, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duck for President

Nia King
Sometimes you should be grateful for the job you have. Duck learns this the hard way in this story. This book can be introduced to students to teach them to be grateful as well as different elected official positions and how the process works.
Connie
A review of: Duck For President

Publishing Details: Duck For President
Author: Doreen Cronin
Year: 2004
Publishing: Simon & Schuster

Introduction: This book continues the story of Farmer Brown and his rebellious farm animals. Duck becomes tired of his endless chores on the farm, so he seeks to overthrow Farmer Brown and run the farm himself. He doesn’t stop there, though, and continues up the political ladder until he realizes that maybe his first job wasn’t so bad after all...

Description: Every
Hana Doran
Mar 21, 2012 Hana Doran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this book! It's the story of a duck who lives on a farm and is unhappy with the chores that he has to do daily. He decides that if he were the head farmer, life would be much better. Eventually, he decides to hold "elections" to try and replace the Farmer. He campaigns and wins, but after a few days of hard work, running the farm, he decides that this job is not nearly as fun as he had anticipated. He moves on to run for governor and eventually president. By holding elections, running h ...more
Emma
Sep 07, 2016 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute little book. I like the series. I do however have to say that the things that they say the president does he most likely doesn't get covered in those materials but that is the fun of it I guess! I think it was kind of repetitive so that was why I gave it 3/5 stars. Sadly I wouldn't recommend it just not a good book!
Emily Sirota
This book is very hilarious, when a duck runs for president. Yet this book is very informative for you little ones it shows all about how you can get elected for president. This book is a great realistic fiction read, and is super cute. It really gets the children thinking and imagining if this could really happen. Lots of smiles when reading this quick read picture book. Super cute read and I would recommend around elections.

I think the pictures were very basic they weren't anything too specia
Katie Brown
This is about a Duck that lives on a farm and has chores to do everyday. He is tired of this and decided to run for president of the farm. He is not satisfied with this and runs for governor. He eventually runs for President of the United States and wins. He is never happy with where he is and eventually goes back to the farm. This is a good book to read during the election period. It is also good to talk about appreciating what you have and where you are.
Rachel
Nov 04, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Duck does not want to mow the lawn and grind coffee beans anymore so he runs to be the head of the farm. When tired of that, he runs for governor and then president. Is Duck cut out to run the country?

This was fun to do around the elections. It could also be used for a discussion about the hierarchy of the government and about being content with where you are in life.
Isabel
Feb 26, 2015 Isabel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so funny I can't believe that a duck was running for president.
Katrina Knight
Dec 09, 2016 Katrina Knight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-study
Summary: This book is about Farmer Brown and his farm animals doing chores. Duck grows tired of his chores and doesn't want to be a duck anymore. He changes his job several times such as governor and president and finds issues with each new duty. Eventually duck just wants to be a duck again.

Review: I love this book and I think it's a great resource to use in the classroom for career day. This book is wonderful with a humorous storyline. The students will love to listen to this book and make pre
Kyle Kellogg
Duck for President is a funny little book written by Doreen Cronin. It follows Duck, who is tired of doing chores for Farmer Brown, so he decides to run for the head farmer. Then he gets tired of being the farmer and runs for governor. After being governor, he gets tired of it and decides to run for president. When Duck gets tired of being president, he decided to return to the farm... to work on his autobiography. While this book doesn't have much educational value, it can be used in a few ways ...more
Gabriellaconceicao
Awards: None

Appropriate Grade Level: Kindergarten-2nd Grade

Summary: This story is about a duck who began in a humble pond. He worked his way to farmer, governor, and president. This book teaches children about responsibility and hard work.

Review: This is a great book to teach students about taking responsibility and showing them that everything may not be as easy as it seems. It shows children that they never really know what someone is going through until they are put in that position. It is a
Mattie Troyer
Oct 21, 2016 Mattie Troyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book because of the time of year. With the election right around the corner I found this book appropriate. I loved how silly and fun it was! Cleary a Duck being in charge is COMPLETELY out of the question. But the way he starts out on the farm and ends up in the White House is quite the story. In the end you find out why animals can't run for president, governor, or even mayor! This is a great story to have in your classroom and I would suggest it to anyone for a fun short read!
Akemi G
HEY! This is just the perfect post-election read!!
Seriously.
Get up, grab a copy, and laugh at the nonsense.
Even the back cover art work is hilarious; the president-elect duck's butt view, with tricolor balloons in the air.
(My only concern is that the target audience--kids--may not get it.)
Hannah Peterson
This is a fiction book about a duck who works too hard and wants change, so he thinks he should run the farm and the farm holds an election. I would use this book to help students understand how our government works. It gives great examples on how an election works and why people choose to be apart of the election. I could also have student make their own campaign for student of the week or line leader.
Maggie Gilmore
Dec 01, 2016 Maggie Gilmore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Duck for President is about a duck who wants a change in the farm. So he decides to hold a election, and become the president of the farm. He then realizes being president is alot of work, and being a duck is easier. This book works really well for when discussing about elections and voting. This would work great for K-2.
Brenda Kahn
In honor of election day, I reread one of my all-time favorite picture books. A delicious romp through the electoral process, a picture book for all ages, one that I made a present of to every social studies and LA teacher I knew. Great stuff!
Sherri
Nov 12, 2016 Sherri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A timely choice to read to my middle school special ed students. It allowed them to process the recent presidential election by discussing the duck's rise to power.
Chrisl
Nov 21, 2016 Chrisl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid, 2000s
Cronin one of my favorite kid book authors. Staff reading during new book processing.
Shelley
Oct 19, 2016 Shelley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Duck thinks running the farm will be easier than doing his chores. After winning the election on the farm, duck does not stop there. He continues on to become mayor, governor, then president, realizing each time the work demands are getting tougher. Duck happily returns to the farm and his original chores realizing he did not have it so bad after all. This animated story is sure to keep children interested while teaching the basics of an election process and the realities of having chores.
Karen
Nov 06, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom, dad
Ellie read to us....krb 11/5/16
Mrs. Harden
Wonderful book to learn about elections.
Randal
Oct 21, 2016 Randal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Click, Clack, Vote!
Robert
Oct 20, 2016 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
best book I have ever read
Kaitlin Heaton
Picture book

I love this book. I used it during practicum for an observation lesson.
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Pretty cute. I like just about any book where animals revolt ;)
Kate Puleo Unger
Duck is fed up with how Farmer Brown is running the farm, so he holds an election. All of the farm animals vote, and duck wins. Then he realizes being the leader of the farm is hard work, so he moves on to running for governor. Then eventually he runs for president. This book is kind of silly, but it's still a fun way to introduce elections to younger kids. Similar to Grace for President, some elements of campaigning are addressed informally in this story.

Ages 4-7

Viviane Elbee
Jan 06, 2017 Viviane Elbee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The kids and I love this book. It is very funny, and it's great for discussing elections and politicians.
Kaitlyn
"Duck for President" is a really cute book to teach kids about being satisfied in whatever role you are currently in. The duck was just a regular duck at first, then he wasn't happy with where he was so he ran for farmer. Wasn't satisfied there so he ran for Governor, wasn't happy there so he ran for president. Still wasn't happy so he went back to the farm. It is a good story that shows you have a purpose for where you are. I would read this book in a 2nd grade class. It's a great way for kids ...more
Anna Wendling
A humorous book about a duck that not only wants to run the farm, but also the town and the country. This story follows Duck as he tries to gain power, but also his struggles that come along with each new position he is in. This book is good for children around K-4th grade ages. This book if fun, but also presents the topics of election and leadership.
Jill Sanders
This narrative point of view picture book is about a duck that did not realize how much the farmer did. He becomes president of the farm, to governor of state, to finally president of the country. Duck left every position due to the hard work every time and in the end found he was in the right place from the beginning and would be glad to be back on the farm again. The illustrations were interesting to me because it showed every object on each animal or person that was mentioned in the text, but ...more
  • John, Paul, George & Ben
  • My Teacher For President
  • Grace for President
  • The Scrambled States of America Talent Show
  • 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore
  • Good Boy, Fergus!
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • Olivia Forms A Band
  • Bats at the Library
  • Dogku
  • A Picnic in October
  • Julius, the Baby of the World
Doreen Cronin was a practicing attorney in Manhattan when her first book Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type became a publishing success. But her book was not published overnight, in fact, she had written this barnyard tale even before attending law school but only received rejection letters from publishers. Five years after submitting the original manuscript she got a call from a publisher who want ...more
More about Doreen Cronin...

Farmer Brown's Barnyard Tales (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
  • Giggle, Giggle, Quack
  • Dooby Dooby Moo
  • Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure
  • Click, Clack, Boo!: A Tricky Treat
  • Click, Clack, Quackity-Quack: An Alphabetical Adventure
  • Click, Clack, Peep!
  • Click, Clack, Splish, Splash: A Counting Adventure
  • Click, Clack, Ho! Ho! Ho!
  • Click, Clack, Moo and More: A Barnyard Collection