Start by marking “Critical Condition: How Health Care in America Became Big Business--and Bad Medicine” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Exposing the most controversial, little-known practices of America’s most flawed system, Time magazine’s Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative team pulls back the curtain on the health care industry to explain exactly how things grew so out of control.

Dirty examination and operating rooms in doctor’s offices and hospitals . . . Health care executives pulling in millions in
Published October 11th 2005 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Critical Condition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Critical Condition

Aaron
This is a solid, sometimes revelatory, book by the renowned investigative reporters Donald Barlett and James Steele that attacks our extremely dysfunctional national health care system. Thankfully, the book also offers a solution. Unfortunately, that solution - a single-payer system run by a government entity loosely based on the Fed - isn't being considered by our leaders, including Obama.

I became interested in this book after realizing I didn't know enough about how our health care system work
Amy Ellison
America’s Health Care System Overdue for Check-Up

Mason McIlnay was a kindergartner living in Salem, Oregon. Leg aches began to plague him, and doctors soon discovered he had a serious childhood cancer called neuroblastoma. Mason was very sick, and nothing saddens the heart more than hearing about a sick child. He needed immediate treatment. Unfortunately, Mason’s family falls among the masses of 43 million uninsured Americans.

Mason’s mother held the mother-of-all garage sales with the hopes of
Gary Ballard
Knowing the terrible state of healthcare in this country, much of what I read in this book didn't surprise me. While the depths of corruption, greed and pure idiocy this book highlights was surprising, the authors tended to belabor their points about how bad the system is to an almost shrill degree. I chalk that up to the time it was written (2004), before Michael Moore's Sicko and the endless debates about "death panels" from 2009-2010. It illuminates the problems, but unfortunately it's soluti ...more
Allie
If you can stand to read lots of infuriating anecdotes about insurance company CEOs and Wall Street dealmakers using our health care dollars to fly their friends to Jamaica on corporate jets and build 21-room mansions while parents whose kids have cancer have to hold garage-sale fundraisers, this is a good read. It's written by two Pulitzer-winning journalists, and exposes the awful reality of what market-based health care has given us in America.
Jayne
Wow...Everyone in America needs to read this book! I realized healthcare in America doesn't need reformed but overhauled. the authors did an amazing job of identifying issues with America's healthcare and presented ways to fix it. We spend more money than any other country on healthcare, yet pay more individually for it...maybe because 1/3 of the money spent goes to administrative costs?! You'll be shocked once you read this book!
Jeni

This book was written in 2004. This is a must read book before the election. Since one party wishes to dismantle the ACA, this book provides a basis to argue for a single payer system
Molly Schild
Aug 06, 2007 Molly Schild rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: health care nerds
Not the easiest to read...but very interesting. Gives an overview of several of the issues facing the health care arena in the context of real world examples...
Maggie
Trying to learn about the history of health care. This is my first non-fiction book ever to read (that I hope to finish).
Eugene
Excellent explanation of how Wall Street has helped us to get to where we are now in health care.
Partha
access to health care is a crisis in America !!! read this book and you'll see why!
Boyd
Anyone concerned about health care in this country needs to read this book.
Elaine Farkas
What I learned? That I want to marry a Canadian!!!!
Jana
I am going to tackle this head on...
yaman
Couldn't finish. Dated material.
Joseph
Dec 11, 2007 Joseph rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
The truth long before Sicko
Youngajo
Youngajo marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Dylan
Dylan marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Rosella
Rosella marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Quincy
Quincy marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Matt Johnson
Matt Johnson marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Frederick Cullison
Frederick Cullison marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
medical/healthcare malpractice in USA 1 2 Apr 11, 2011 03:45PM
  • Money-Driven Medicine: The Real Reason Health Care Costs So Much
  • Sick: The Untold Story of America's Health Care Crisis---And the People Who Pay the Price
  • The Killing of a President: The Complete Photographic Record of the JFK Assassination
  • A Brief History Of The Future
  • The State Boys Rebellion
  • Lords of Poverty
  • Prison Nation: The Warehousing of America's Poor
  • Better Than Well: American Medicine Meets the American Dream
  • An Alchemy of Mind: The Marvel and Mystery of the Brain
  • With a Little Help from My Friends: The Making of Sgt. Pepper
  • Sweet Deception: Why Splenda, Nutrasweet, and the FDA May Be Hazardous to Your Health
  • The Good Society: The Humane Agenda
  • The Death of Conservatism
  • Hubbub: Filth, Noise, and Stench in England, 1600-1770
  • The Hundred-Year Lie: How Food and Medicine Are Destroying Your Health
  • The First Sex: The Natural Talents of Women and How They Are Changing the World
  • Dangerous Men: Pre-Code Hollywood and the Birth of the Modern Man
  • Deadly Companions: How Microbes Shaped Our History
Howard Hughes: His Life and Madness The Betrayal of the American Dream America: What Went Wrong? America: Who Really Pays the Taxes? America: Who Stole The Dream?