Start by marking “Critical Condition: How Health Care in America Became Big Business--and Bad Medicine” as Want to Read:

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Exposing the most controversial, little-known practices of America’s most flawed system, Time magazine’s Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative team pulls back the curtain on the health care industry to explain exactly how things grew so out of control.

Dirty examination and operating rooms in doctor’s offices and hospitals . . . Health care executives pulling in millions in
Published October 11th 2005 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Critical Condition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Critical Condition

Aaron
This is a solid, sometimes revelatory, book by the renowned investigative reporters Donald Barlett and James Steele that attacks our extremely dysfunctional national health care system. Thankfully, the book also offers a solution. Unfortunately, that solution - a single-payer system run by a government entity loosely based on the Fed - isn't being considered by our leaders, including Obama.

I became interested in this book after realizing I didn't know enough about how our health care system work
Amy Ellison
America’s Health Care System Overdue for Check-Up

Mason McIlnay was a kindergartner living in Salem, Oregon. Leg aches began to plague him, and doctors soon discovered he had a serious childhood cancer called neuroblastoma. Mason was very sick, and nothing saddens the heart more than hearing about a sick child. He needed immediate treatment. Unfortunately, Mason’s family falls among the masses of 43 million uninsured Americans.

Mason’s mother held the mother-of-all garage sales with the hopes of
Gary Ballard
Knowing the terrible state of healthcare in this country, much of what I read in this book didn't surprise me. While the depths of corruption, greed and pure idiocy this book highlights was surprising, the authors tended to belabor their points about how bad the system is to an almost shrill degree. I chalk that up to the time it was written (2004), before Michael Moore's Sicko and the endless debates about "death panels" from 2009-2010. It illuminates the problems, but unfortunately it's soluti ...more
Allie
If you can stand to read lots of infuriating anecdotes about insurance company CEOs and Wall Street dealmakers using our health care dollars to fly their friends to Jamaica on corporate jets and build 21-room mansions while parents whose kids have cancer have to hold garage-sale fundraisers, this is a good read. It's written by two Pulitzer-winning journalists, and exposes the awful reality of what market-based health care has given us in America.
Jayne
Wow...Everyone in America needs to read this book! I realized healthcare in America doesn't need reformed but overhauled. the authors did an amazing job of identifying issues with America's healthcare and presented ways to fix it. We spend more money than any other country on healthcare, yet pay more individually for it...maybe because 1/3 of the money spent goes to administrative costs?! You'll be shocked once you read this book!
Jeni

This book was written in 2004. This is a must read book before the election. Since one party wishes to dismantle the ACA, this book provides a basis to argue for a single payer system
Molly Schild
Aug 06, 2007 Molly Schild rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: health care nerds
Not the easiest to read...but very interesting. Gives an overview of several of the issues facing the health care arena in the context of real world examples...
Maggie
Trying to learn about the history of health care. This is my first non-fiction book ever to read (that I hope to finish).
Eugene
Excellent explanation of how Wall Street has helped us to get to where we are now in health care.
Partha
access to health care is a crisis in America !!! read this book and you'll see why!
Boyd
Anyone concerned about health care in this country needs to read this book.
Elaine Farkas
What I learned? That I want to marry a Canadian!!!!
Jana
I am going to tackle this head on...
yaman
Couldn't finish. Dated material.
Joseph
Dec 11, 2007 Joseph rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
The truth long before Sicko
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Antoine Reze
Antoine Reze marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
The Ninja Squirrel
The Ninja Squirrel marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Theresa
Theresa is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2015
Genna Holloway
Genna Holloway marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
medical/healthcare malpractice in USA 1 2 Apr 11, 2011 03:45PM
  • Money-Driven Medicine: The Real Reason Health Care Costs So Much
  • The Killing of a President: The Complete Photographic Record of the JFK Assassination
  • Sick: The Untold Story of America's Health Care Crisis---and the People Who Pay the Price
  • A Brief History Of The Future
  • Lords of Poverty
  • The State Boys Rebellion
  • Deadly Companions: How Microbes Shaped Our History
  • The Sex Contract: The Evolution of Human Behavior
  • The Death of Conservatism
  • The Immortalists: Charles Lindbergh, Dr. Alexis Carrel, and Their Daring Quest to Live Forever
  • The Conservative Nanny State: How the Wealthy Use the Government to Stay Rich and Get Richer
  • Remedy and reaction : the peculiar American struggle over health care reform
  • Dangerous Men: Pre-Code Hollywood and the Birth of the Modern Man
  • With a Little Help from My Friends: The Making of Sgt. Pepper
  • History Begins at Sumer: Thirty-Nine Firsts in Recorded History
  • An Alchemy of Mind: The Marvel and Mystery of the Brain
  • Hubbub: Filth, Noise, and Stench in England, 1600-1770
  • Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Branches
Howard Hughes: His Life and Madness The Betrayal of the American Dream America: What Went Wrong? America: Who Really Pays the Taxes? America: Who Stole The Dream?