Masada

Masada

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This is the account of Yadin's excavation of the hill fort of Masada. What he found there confirmed Josephus' account of the siege. The spectacular discoveries included Herod's 3-tiered palace, the earliest-known manuscript of Ecclesiasticus & potsherds that may have been suicide lots used in 73 C.E.
The challenge
The task
Getting to work
The site
The northern palace-vill...more
Published December 14th 1978 by Abacus (first published January 1st 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Masada, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Masada

Erik Graff
Mar 06, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1st Roman War fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
This is a popular, illustrated summation of the findings made by archaeological teams led by Yadin at the Masada fortress of Herod the Great, the last refuge of Jews in rebellion during the First Roman War. The text describes not only the excavations and the interpretation of data but also, with substantial reference to Josephus, attempts to reconstruct the events of 73 C.E.
Melissa
Early on in this book Yigael Yadin shares his purpose. He did not wish to write a boring scholarly book on the excavation of Masada, but a book that would allow readers to understand the thrill of discovery. It seems he accomplished his goal.

This book is not about the history of Masada as much as the archeology, although Yadin does quote from Josephus and other authors. The book has many pictures, maps and building plans to aid in understanding the excavations.

The excavation occured in 1963-1965...more
Thomas
Masada. En bog der rammer forbi, det jeg plejer at læse, det er en meget detaljeret beskrivelse, af udgravningerne, der igennem tiden er blevet fortaget på Masada.
Meget lang og til tider temmelig tør.
En god bog for den der har en særligt interesse i Arkæologi.
Det bedste kapitel efter min mening er det sidste.
En hyldest til de frivillige.
Så det kan kun blive til en stjerne fra min side.
Masada. A book that hits past, what I usually read, it is a very detailed description of the excavations, which...more
Mark
After the Roman siege of Jerusalem and the destruction of the Temple in 70 CE, Judea fell to the Romans. Most Jews were either killed, sold to slavery, or forced to flee their land. Of course, some few remained to rebel against the new rulers, but these were few in number.

One such group took the Herodian fortress, Masada, and conducted raids on the Roman occupied land for almost three years. Finally, after a long and amazing seige, 10,000 Romans broke into the fortress only to find that the nigh...more
I have been intrigued by Masada for quite some time but this is the first book I've read about the subject. The story of the excavation is first and foremost, and where appropriate Yadin includes excerpts of Josephus' account of the Zealots and the Roman siege. The text is well-written for it's intentions, which Yadin makes clear from the start. This is not a scientific, scholarly work, but a record of the excavations, the finds, and what he interpreted them to mean.

I liked the inclusion of the...more
Jo Christian
Fascinating learned a lot
Daniel Chaikin
This was actually entertaining and an important work - but, and it's not surprising having read it, it was not scientific, and maybe somewhere around completely unprofessional. I just started a book called Sacrificing Truth, which is not debunking Yadin's work here, but a study into what led Yadin to publish such an unscientific work as science...in other words it apparently begins with the assumption that it's already been proven that Yadin's work is bunk.
Molly
Provides detailed information about the excavation of Masada and shares the historical references.
Robin Warden
If you are going to Israel, have been, will be, or just interested in...this is a great book on Masada & one of the very first archaeological digs (includes fascinating "before" pics). Great tales for the Indiana Jones in all of us...okay, maybe just me, but humor me.
Meirav Rath
Dec 22, 2007 Meirav Rath rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: History fans, Israelies (it's a must)
I enjoyed this book, though it's not a history book as much as it's a book about the early Masada excavation. The pictures are stunning and the description of the early conditions for the excavation team are endearing. It's a gift book, really, but a good gift book.
Brandon
Ordered the book prior to going to Masada, but it wasn't delivered until after my trip. I actually think reading it after was a better way to do it because I understood the geography better. Amazing place.
Steven Kent
You can feel a connection to something that happened two thousand years ago.

Some of this book achieves that connection through time, most of it is academic and insightful.
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Tria
Tria marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Samantha Guido
Samantha Guido marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Jeanne Adamek
Jeanne Adamek marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Dorota Swierczewska
Dorota Swierczewska marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Mysti Jacob
Mysti Jacob marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Wilma Prountzos
Wilma Prountzos marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Jake Moran
Jake Moran marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Suzy
Suzy marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Bar-Kokhba The Temple Scroll: The Hidden Law of the Dead Sea Sect Masada I: The Yigael Yadin Excavations 1963-65 Final Reports (Masada Reports) The Message of the Scrolls (Christian Origins Library) Hazor