Start by marking “Masada” as Want to Read:
Masada

Masada

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This is the account of Yadin's excavation of the hill fort of Masada. What he found there confirmed Josephus' account of the siege. The spectacular discoveries included Herod's 3-tiered palace, the earliest-known manuscript of Ecclesiasticus & potsherds that may have been suicide lots used in 73 C.E.
The challenge
The task
Getting to work
The site
The northern palace-vill
Published 1973 by Cardinal (first published January 1st 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Masada, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Masada

Erik Graff
Mar 06, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1st Roman War fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
This is a popular, illustrated summation of the findings made by archaeological teams led by Yadin at the Masada fortress of Herod the Great, the last refuge of Jews in rebellion during the First Roman War. The text describes not only the excavations and the interpretation of data but also, with substantial reference to Josephus, attempts to reconstruct the events of 73 C.E.
Katie
This book was recommended by a friend while on a visit to Masada in Israel. I added the book to my list and finally checked it out from the library, a year after my trip. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this read and looked like a textbook, detailing the initial archeological dig of Masada several decades ago. There are many fantastic photos, and all major discoveries of the dig are highlighted, such as scrolls, coins, building structures, etc. It was also very interesting to read of the ...more
Mark
After the Roman siege of Jerusalem and the destruction of the Temple in 70 CE, Judea fell to the Romans. Most Jews were either killed, sold to slavery, or forced to flee their land. Of course, some few remained to rebel against the new rulers, but these were few in number.

One such group took the Herodian fortress, Masada, and conducted raids on the Roman occupied land for almost three years. Finally, after a long and amazing seige, 10,000 Romans broke into the fortress only to find that the nigh
Thomas
Masada. En bog der rammer forbi, det jeg plejer at læse, det er en meget detaljeret beskrivelse, af udgravningerne, der igennem tiden er blevet fortaget på Masada.
Meget lang og til tider temmelig tør.
En god bog for den der har en særligt interesse i Arkæologi.
Det bedste kapitel efter min mening er det sidste.
En hyldest til de frivillige.
Så det kan kun blive til en stjerne fra min side.
Masada. A book that hits past, what I usually read, it is a very detailed description of the excavations, which
I have been intrigued by Masada for quite some time but this is the first book I've read about the subject. The story of the excavation is first and foremost, and where appropriate Yadin includes excerpts of Josephus' account of the Zealots and the Roman siege. The text is well-written for it's intentions, which Yadin makes clear from the start. This is not a scientific, scholarly work, but a record of the excavations, the finds, and what he interpreted them to mean.

I liked the inclusion of the
Melissa
Early on in this book Yigael Yadin shares his purpose. He did not wish to write a boring scholarly book on the excavation of Masada, but a book that would allow readers to understand the thrill of discovery. It seems he accomplished his goal.

This book is not about the history of Masada as much as the archeology, although Yadin does quote from Josephus and other authors. The book has many pictures, maps and building plans to aid in understanding the excavations.

The excavation occured in 1963-1965
Jo Christian
Fascinating learned a lot
Daniel Chaikin
This was actually entertaining and an important work - but, and it's not surprising having read it, it was not scientific, and maybe somewhere around completely unprofessional. I just started a book called Sacrificing Truth, which is not debunking Yadin's work here, but a study into what led Yadin to publish such an unscientific work as science...in other words it apparently begins with the assumption that it's already been proven that Yadin's work is bunk.
Molly
Provides detailed information about the excavation of Masada and shares the historical references.
Robin Warden
If you are going to Israel, have been, will be, or just interested in...this is a great book on Masada & one of the very first archaeological digs (includes fascinating "before" pics). Great tales for the Indiana Jones in all of us...okay, maybe just me, but humor me.
Meirav Rath
Dec 22, 2007 Meirav Rath rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: History fans, Israelies (it's a must)
I enjoyed this book, though it's not a history book as much as it's a book about the early Masada excavation. The pictures are stunning and the description of the early conditions for the excavation team are endearing. It's a gift book, really, but a good gift book.
Brandon
Ordered the book prior to going to Masada, but it wasn't delivered until after my trip. I actually think reading it after was a better way to do it because I understood the geography better. Amazing place.
Steven Kent
You can feel a connection to something that happened two thousand years ago.

Some of this book achieves that connection through time, most of it is academic and insightful.
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Abigail Snoznik
Abigail Snoznik marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Biblio Aug
Biblio Aug marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Leah Wilner-Deutsch
Leah Wilner-Deutsch marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Maryann
Maryann marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Judith
Judith added it
Jun 04, 2015
Mars
Mars marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Tim Vollbrecht
Tim Vollbrecht marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Stonehenge: A New Understanding: Solving the Mysteries of the Greatest Stone Age Monument
  • Antiquity
  • Blasphemy: the true, heartbreaking story of the woman sentenced to death over a cup of water
  • Domesday: A Search for the Roots of England
  • The Icon and the Axe: An Interpretive History of Russian Culture
  • The Chalet School in Exile (The Chalet School, #16)
  • O Jerusalem
  • Commando: A Boer Journal Of The Boer War
  • The Reformation of the Sixteenth Century
  • Criminal Case 40/61, the Trial of Adolf Eichmann: An Eyewitness Account
  • A World Transformed
  • The Gabriel Set-Up (Modesty Blaise Graphic Novel Titan #1)
  • Who Were the Early Israelites and Where Did They Come From?
  • Second Cadfael Omnibus: St.Peter's Fair/Leper of St.Giles/Virgin in the Ice
Bar-Kokhba Masada I: The Yigael Yadin Excavations 1963-65 Final Reports (Masada Reports) The Temple Scroll: The Hidden Law of the Dead Sea Sect The Message of the Scrolls (Christian Origins Library) Jerusalem Revealed: Archaeology in the Holy City, 1968-74