Blank-133x176
Paradise Fields

Katie Fforde

Paradise Fields

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  1,396 ratings  ·  85 reviews
Katie Fforde's Paradise Fields does most of the things that a mid-life romantic novel ought and manages to have a charm that is all of its own. Youngish widow Nel has thrown herself into organising a farmer's market to raise money for a local hospice and is appalled when the land they use is to be sold for jerry-built housing. She is even more upset to find herself attract...more
Published May 27th 2003 by Century (first published 2002)

Juliana Graham
Another one where half stars would be handy - a 1.5 here as it's not as bad as Queen Camilla but not good enough to warrant an OK.

My first Katie Fforde book and my overall feeling towards it is that it is SO dull. The main character is about 42 as far as I can tell but seems to have the characteristics of an 80 year old e.g. she is too old to send a text message and at one point is resigning herself to a life of solitude with her grandchildren who haven't even been born yet(???). If I behave lik...more
Lara
Katie Fforde is always a good read. This book, in particular, is especially enjoyable for me as the female protagonist is a woman over 40 years of age. So many books out there are about 20-something women looking for love after having had their hearts broken "often". Somewhat hard to relate to as they've not gone through the same things/experiences as a mature woman, i.e. me.

This one was a re-read and it's still enjoyable. I love books set in the UK/Ireland!
Kathy
As always, Katie Fforde's characters are mature. I don't mean mature in years, but they're written maturely - they're well-rounded, three-dimensional and real with multiple facets. For an over-forty reader, I loved the heroine's point of view. Just have to say though, that I found the ending a bit too abrupt. Was expecting another chapter at the end. But, it was a good ending.
Grace Tierney
I was delighted to find this book second hand and realise I had missed reading it when it was out originally as Katie Fforde is one of those rare authors who is an instant must-read for me. This time her heroine is trying to save a farmers' market and a children's hospice while deciding if as a long time widow she is ready for a new romance. It was a fun read with believeable characters, a sprinkling of romance and plenty of humour. My only quibble was that at times the intricacies of the buildi...more
Joanne D'arcy
Nel has a full life. Not only is she a mother to three children, growing up and away from her, she is struggling with her weight as all women at time do, she is passionate about the farmers markets which she has been paramount in getting off the ground in her small village, fundraising is another passion for the local children's hospice. Plus walking her dogs and making fabulous shaped and themed cakes. Is there time for anything else? Is there time for romance?

Nel is not so sure, since being wi...more
Goddess
I really disliked Paradise Fields. Its so badly written and the protagonist was really DULL. She also stupid, with very little intelligence.
The author hasn't a clue about the legal world and thinks its all about a bunch of men wearing suits. The plot lacks everything- in fact I forget that there is a plot. It was that dull.
And the romance was seriously unconvincing. You have this seriously dimwit, boring, middle aged mother of 3 (who has all scars to prove it- gross!!) and she somehow attracts a...more
Melda
Arggh! I hate the heroine! I detest her to the extent that I have to put the book down occasionally and calm myself down. How did the author manage to create an as moronic character as Nel is? I mean if the author chose divorced or widowed women over forty (as if forty is an old age!) who didn't have sex for the last ten years and think themselves as way past their prime as her target audience, and is trying to convince them otherwise, she is not doing a very good job of it. It goes like, but I...more
Fanficfan44
I have read several of Katie Fforde’s books and have enjoyed them all. This one was no exception, the main character Nel is a widow kept busy by the needs of 3 children, 2 in university and one about to go and her dogs and her “good works” on behalf of a children’s hospice and organizing a farmer’s market, all in addition to keeping up with a nice group of friends and a rather unexciting boyfriend. When the hospice’s future becomes uncertain, Nel rises to the challenge.

I love how the author draw...more
Martina Flasarová
Nel Innesové je něco málo přes čtyřicet, už deset let je vdovou, miluje mátový čaj a má oficiálního "přítele" Simona. Dalo by se říct, že je to pravdu jen přítel, než milenec. Ale když se na scéně objeví šarmantní Jake, je po cudnosti a Nel se zamiluje, i když si to nechce přiznat.

Začátek příběhu zněl slibně romanticky, když Nel pod jmelím, které prodávala, políbil neznámý muž. Ale už po pár stránkách mi došlo, že to nebude tak, jak jsem si představovala.

Zjistila jsem totiž, že Nel není jen cudn...more
Kathryn
I haven't read a Katie Fforde book in a while... and this reminded me why. I genuinely like some of her books but I had forgotten this was one of my LEAST favorites. Nel is a forty-something Mom of 3 very involved in her community, especially the local hospice. And she's overweight and not at all attractive. Which comes up at least once a chapter (!) even though her bff and daughter reassure her she is neither. I think that's the root of why I dislike this book so much. The main character is con...more
Nada
I hated Nel.
How in hell is it possible that the heroine is that annoying?
How in hell did the author thought to write a whole novel about the heroine who is:
1- ugly (everyone keeps on reassuring she's not)
2- overweight (and there are birth stretching marks as she HAD to explain to us)
3- with a sex phobia.
4- over forty something (keeps on mentioning it in every line)
Like how in hell?

I mean, what's even worse than keeping on mentioning all the previous that the hot young lawyer Jake is into her....more
Redfox5
I feel I'm being a bit harsh by giving this a 2 and it might be just becuase I've been reading to much chick lit and am a bit fed up with it but thats just how I feel. This book annoyed me shortly after starting it by having Nel say something like 'men who go out with skinny women are either pedophiles or secret gays' Thanks. Also Nel moans alot about how overwight and unattractive she is even tho people tell her all the time that she's not and I hate people like that in real life! I also just w...more
Krisz
KF was better before :(
The Rose Revived was so nice and warm, something genuine, and the newer books are just one of many. So while it was a pleasant read, it didn't have the old spark. Maybe if it was about more characters at the same time?
Sue
I have read a few katie ffords and normally have trouble putting them down. This however, I found that although I started off in the beginning to really enjoy it, there was a large part that didn't really keep my attention. Towards the end I enjoyed again. So therefore, I have just chosen another of katies books to read!
Karen
This is one of my favorite Katie Fforde books I have read them all bar 1. This books is set around a everyday situation and that really works. Nel is a widow with three children who are grown up and she also has very good friends. Nel is running the christmas market and hears that local hospice is being knocked down and a load of houses are going to be build there. Nel takes action in trying to get it stopped. But all the time the Nel is trying to juggle everything Jake keeps getting in her way...more
Camy
Hmmm...lost my review...well here goes again. This is my 4th book and just a couple more to go and then a move onto another new author I have not read yet (in the easy reading genre). I had to admit I skimmed through pages in this book...there were some very tedious and boring parts. Nel - well an ordinary very realistic somewhat frumpy widow with grown up kids. How lucky for her to become sort a star attraction...Everyone hopes that some Mr. good-lucking, relatively well-off, guy will just come...more
Gail
I really enjoyed this book. I like her writing, it's highly readable, believable and relatively authentic (for the genre).
Tali
First of all, I have to say that despite the low rating I've given this novel, I didn't not like it, I just found it very slow-moving and unoriginal. As far as chick lit goes this is a perfectly pleasant story, but coming from just having read Wild Designs by the same author, all I could see when reading this was the similarities between the two stories...only this novel is less engaging. A nice read, but nothing exceptionally engaging - good if you're not expecting anything too over-complicated...more
Dpic
Absolutely delightful. Love the humor and style of writing. Lighthearted romance.
LindyLouMac
I read this one in 2007 and this is what I had to say on Bookcrossing.

As always Katie Fforde has written a book that is easy to read, will make you smile and lift your spirits. Very predictable of course, but difficult not to be with this type of romantic novel. One of the reasons I enjoy this author is that her storylines and characters are actually believable and realistic.
I love K. Fforde, I started out buying her books from the U.K. before they were available here in the US. This one fell a bit short though. Nel was too much like dishwater, she made me want to pull the plug on her. I wish there was more of Vivian! Yet, it was a book that I read in a few hours and was enjoyable but unfortunately forgettable. I do love Fforde but, think this was a book which was forced and rushed.
Helene
Oct 17, 2008 Helene rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes chic flicks
A woman is trying to save a piece of land near where she lives but she gets more than she bargained for when she sleeps with the opposing sides lawyer and things get a little too complicated for her.

The storyline takes a while to get going and sometimes takes a bit of unravelling. I never finished this book because I found it to be a bit tedious. On the plus side, Fforde seems to be developing a unique style.
Katie
Okay, I've been reading some Chick Lit lately. Entertaining story, I liked that the story line involved a Farmer's Market, since I'm a wannabe Farmer's Market-er. I also liked the blurb about the author in the book. Something about how ironing and cleaning are her hobbies, but her job of keeping up with the daily television shows prevent her from spending much time on her hobbies.
Jackieyo
The first half would get 1 star, and the second half two stars. Not a very interesting chick lit. The dialogue is too contrive. That might be because the story is set in England, but I doubt that makes too much of a difference since the Shopaholic series is still great. The relationships are developed without much sense... and the bad guy is too obvious.

BLEH!
Jean Long
I have I'm sure read every book published by Katie and have enjoyed them all but for some reason this one just didn't get it going for me. I am trying to think what it is that made this story for me so different from the rest I think I just feel Katie's heart wasn't in this book. It didn't stop me reading to the last line but with some disappointment...
Doreen
Very rare for me to give one star but this book was so very predictable and tedious. I had the audio book and found myself shouting out loud at Nel for being such a blithering idiot when she kept coming to daft conclusions. The dialogue was terribly dated at times and really don't know how I managed to soldier on to the end.
Sharon
This was one of the first novels I read by Fforde. (I happened on her because I adore Jasper Fforde, and was surprised to see that surname twice). She describes the situation of a recent widow trying to save a local farmer's market in the midst of her daily family chaos. Enjoyable modern romance.
Rebekah
I love the view of small town England, and I can’t fault a book that uses so many different styles of words that I actually find my self hitting the dictionary on occasion, even if the words are more popular in British English. Now I have to test out a recipe for Yorkshire pudding.
Felicia (felso)
I loved this book! I really admired Nel and her friendship with Vivian, her relationship with her kids, especially her daughter Fleur. I enjoyed following her passionate fight for her work that she believes in. And there is the handsome stranger Jake,who likes her just the way she is.
sweet gentle romance 1 11 Mar 21, 2011 03:06AM
  • Open House
  • Summer Daydreams
  • An Autumn Crush
  • Wedding Tiers
  • Home Truths
  • Working Wonders
  • Airs and Graces
Catherine Rose Gordon-Cumming was born 27 September 1952 in England, UK, the daughter of Shirley Barbara Laub and Michael Willoughby Gordon-Cumming. Her grandfather was Sir William Gordon-Cumming. Her sister is fellow writer Jane Gordon-Cumming. Katie married Desmond Fforde, cousin of the also writer Jasper Fforde. She has three children: Guy, Francis and Briony and didn't start writing until afte...more
More about Katie Fforde...
Wedding Season A Perfect Proposal Practically Perfect Love Letters Second Thyme Around