Start by marking “Wulf the Saxon: A Story of the Norman Conquest” as Want to Read:
Wulf the Saxon: A Story of the Norman Conquest

Wulf the Saxon: A Story of the Norman Conquest

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  581 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The story of a young thane who wins the favor of Earl Harold and becomes one of his retinue. When Harold becomes King of England Wulf assists in the Welsh wars, and takes part against the Norsemen at the Battle of Stamford Bridge. When William of Normandy invades England, Wulf is with the English host at Hastings, and stands by his King to the last in the mighty struggle.
Published August 8th 1998 by Preston-Speed Publications (first published 1894)

To ask other readers questions about Wulf the Saxon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wulf the Saxon

This novel was written in 1894 for a juvenile audience, but as I guessed the writing style was far above juvenile literature today. A well written tale, which as far as I can tell is historically accurate; it is an entertaining light read for late summer.
My first Henty book remains my favorite (and it's the only way I passed history in high school). These books follow young British boys on adventures in history around the world. Some are better than others; my favorites (aside from this one) are By Right of Conquest, Beric the Briton, Won by the Sword, and Facing Death. Facing Death is probably the most interesting considering it is one of Henty's shorter works. In most stories, the British boy is an orphan or somehow separated from his parents; ...more
This is my second Henty, I read this aloud to my 9 year old. It follows a young thane who is in Harold Godwinson's service in the lead up to the Norman Conquest of 1066. It has a great amount of detail on the causes of betrayal of Harold by his brother Tostig and the battles of Stamford Bridge followed by Hastings. There is a fair bit of historical detail I was unaware of - for example, whether Edward the Confessor promised the throne to Harold or William neither could rule, nor be crowned, with ...more
Feb 01, 2015 Cody rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
I have loved G A Henty's books ever since I could read (8, 9 or 10 years now) I have read this book so many times, and I love the Historical as well as the Fictional sections.

I think G A Henty was a great Author!
Reading to Douglas

Wulf the Saxon gives a wonderful glimpse into the life of the Saxon monks, thanes, lords and peasants in the early eleventh century, as well as into the homes of Norman lords. The story is interesting and well written, filled with historical characters and events. The only thing that slightly annoyed me is that Henty seemed to go out of his way to give Wulf opportunities to distinguish himself.

I particularly appreciated the pureness of Edith and Harold's relationship, and their
Abigail Rasmussen
I read this book when I was 14 years old. Henty books are rather on the "boyish book" side but many girls I know (including myself) enjoy them as well.

You can find many G. A. Henty books on LibriVox:

A friend of ours, Jim Hodges, has recorded many G. A. Henty books and we own them all and my brothers have listened to everyone of them.
Jamie Godsafe
I enjoyed this book even though it was quite a diversion from my recent fare. It seemed to be historically well-researched but I felt let down when it brought in known historical outcomes after the time of the narrative. This only had the effect of jolting me out of the moment and made me aware of the author. Also, despite my own enthusiasm and sympathy for the Saxons I found this story far too anti-Norman.
Mrs. C.
This is the only novel I know of that treats the Norman Conquest of Anglo-Saxon England. I use it with eighth-grade students at a private school, and I am happy to report that it accords with the actual events of Harold's life. Edith is treated sympathetically, and, like all of Henty's books, a virtuous lad narrates and plays a heroic role in the tale.
I listened to this book so many times I have it memorized... When I was eight I didn't really enjoy reading, but I loved stories. We owned an audio version of this read by Jim Weiss. He reads it really well, and that was one of the only things I had to listen to at the time. So I've always loved it, even on my fifteenth listen with my little brother:-)
A bit hard going as written over 100 years ago. Fairly sympathetic to the Normans and William of Normandy although very much in praise of Harold. Fiction as the story of the young Wulf, but factual re lots of incidents and the amazing trks up and down the country of the fighting men in defence of Harold.
Entertaining novel of a Saxon ward of King Harold who shows brillance as a military tactician. The ending was a bit quick to wrap it all up, but then again this book is free on Kindle, as are many others by this author, and I will certainly be reading them.
Had to read this for school several years back. Boys would probably enjoy it better then I did. The content could just be veryyyy dry at times. Good storyline though.
I'm sorry Henty, but your writing is a barren wasteland--informative perhaps but desperately lacking creative juices.
This is one of my favorite Henry books, and I had a jolly time reading it with my brother!
arrow king
Better than the usual.
kelly broughton
kelly broughton marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Seth Bobbink
Seth Bobbink marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Greyo marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Courtney Umlauf
Courtney Umlauf marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
  • Beorn the Proud
  • King's Arrow (Crown and Covenant, #2)
  • Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem
  • Outcast
  • The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy
  • The Life and Campaigns of Stonewall Jackson
  • Sir Nigel
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • The Hidden Treasure of Glaston
  • Hudson Taylor: Deep in the Heart of China (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Red Hugh: Prince of Donegal
  • To Birmingham Castle: A Tale of Friendship and Adventure (The Comrades of Honor Series, #1)
George Alfred Henty, better known as G.A. Henty, began his storytelling career with his own children. After dinner, he would spend and hour or two in telling them a story that would continue the next day. Some stories took weeks! A friend was present one day and watched the spell-bound reaction of his children suggesting Henty write down his stories so others could enjoy them. He did. Henty wrote ...more
More about G.A. Henty...