Start by marking “Book” as Want to Read:
Book

Book

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  566 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Hey.Hey, you.Yeah, you.The one looking at the computer screen.I'm so glad you're reading about this.I wrote it and read it so you'd listen to it.

Now, here's where I'm supposed to say all kinds of hip, Whoopi-esque stuff to get you to buy this.Reading about this is just the first step.Buying it--that's a whole other contract.So this is when we seal the deal, when I tell you
Published (first published 1997)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I read this many years ago and still remember how entertaining it was, so that says a lot for the book. Whoopi is just incomparable. Funny, bold, and surprisingly insightful.

Some good things I copied from the book:

"If everything else went away and the penis was still alive, men would probably be okay with that. They'd be lying there thinking, Well, at least my dick still works."

"A man will show a woman his penis at the drop of a hat, but he will not show it to another man."

"Don't come in the
Kris Lugosi
Mar 03, 2014 Kris Lugosi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lugosi-s-reviews
Whoopi Goldberg's book, BOOK, is hilarious. Whoopi is a comic genius as it is and her views on life, death and more are both hysterical and poignant. She makes no apologies for her sailor mouth and witty anecdotes. Whoopi Goldberg is a storyteller of epic proportions hitting us with such important topics like, faith, trust, race, sex, love, dreams, and even funnier topics like dicks (penises), breaking wind, and the nature and power of words. If you are looking for a quiet read this is not it. S ...more
Sue
Jul 16, 2009 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whoopi is incredibly honest. I enjoy the movies that she's been in, but I'm not liking her on the "View". It seems she has no patience for other people's view point, especially if it doesn't mirror her own. She either has nothing to say or cuts people off unless it is something she wants to talk about. She's not a team player, she is full of Whoopi. This book is funny and grossfully truthful. Now I know more than I ever wanted to know about Whoop(Caryn)Goldberg.
Adrian
Oct 08, 2007 Adrian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Whoopi is just one honest woman who is outspoken and know her grounds...she has hell of a lot of wit too...and definitely definitely hilarious.

This "Book" is indeed a page turner and it's interesting to read about her hardship and how she struggled as a child, a sister, a daughter, a single mother, etc etc etc. It's educating and it's an eye opener...sort of.
Jamie
Apr 27, 2011 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always absolutely loved Whoopi Goldberg. This book is HILARIOUS. I always return to it when I've had a bad day and need a good laugh. Her take on relationships, families, and sharing bathrooms cracks me up every time. Whoopi also shares her personal experiences that I think almost anyone can relate to and appreciate. I just love this book.
Kathy
Jun 21, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Whoopi speaking on various subjects. It is not for the faint of heart or those that don't like the 'f' word, which is also a subject discussed. This book was written in 1997 and it's interesting to see how things have NOT changed. I definitely want to read more of what she has written.
Kristine (fezabel)
I bought this to listen to on my daily commute. I had to listen to it at home because I kept driving off the road from laughing so hard. Whoopi Goldberg is honest, funny and real. Book was hilarious, but this is so much better from her reading and adlibs. Find a copy and share!
Allie
Jul 16, 2009 Allie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dissappointing. Some worthwhile essays, but lots of bathroom humor
Antony Simpson
From AntonySimpson.com:

First off I have to say I was disappointed with Book by Whoopi Goldberg. I was expecting to read of Whoopi’s private life, but she kept her private life just that, private. She doesn’t discuss how a black woman, living on welfare became a master comedian and Hollywood movie star. But enough of what she doesn’t discuss, let’s talk about what she does.

She writes as she speaks, witty, cleaver, politically minded and with an air of spiritualism in some parts. She has split the
Jill
Jan 04, 2013 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Whoopi. That said, I understand that some people don't. If you don't like Whoopi, don't buy the book. This is an older book (1997) and Whoopi was a tad rougher around the edges that she is today, but overall, Whoopi is just Whoopi. This book is a collection of opinions about many things, ranging from flatulence to race, from sex to profanity, and yes, there is some overuse of the "f-word", but as Whoopi points out in chapter 20, it is just a word. I was able to overlook it ... some may no ...more
Greg Z
Apr 30, 2016 Greg Z rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is a light, fast, enjoyable read. Sometimes very funny. But there isn't much substance: after reading it I remember feeling as if I'd seen Goldberg do a series of comedy skits. This lady has worked hard to be where she is today, and that's what I'd like to read about.
TeAunna
This was an unexpected read spurned by my inability to sleep last night. I enjoyed it however. I will say this book will not be for everyone. If you are unable to enjoy the first two chapters, you will not really like the book. It is not a tell all or an introspective look into Whoopi's life. More or less, it is a partial view of the world through Whoopi's eyes (at the time of publishing, 1997).

She's frank and doesn't offer any apologies for her beliefs and how she chooses to express herself, w
Serena
Jan 12, 2016 Serena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is part of the reason that I do not understand the uproar on social media about the author's statement that she is an American. She wrote that in this book published in 1997.
This is a series a essays on various subjects written by Whoopi Goldberg and organized with some help from her editorial team and Dan Paisner.
Some of these essays will make you chuckle, some will make you smile, and some will make you think. All are written as if Whoopi Goldberg were sitting there talking with yo
Doris Raines
Apr 01, 2016 Doris Raines rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hi. Whoopi. You. Really. Deserve. These. 5. Stars. I. Love. Your. Work. You. Are. A. Great. Actor. Thanks.
Kylie Martin
Aug 12, 2011 Kylie Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not an autobiography as such - so don't get mislead. This woman is seriously funny and combines her opinions with her comedy style. The book is the fastest one i have ever read as it is written as if its a taped interview and she is actually talking to you. I think i'd love to meet her as i agree with everything she discusses and her opinions on men and bathrooms were sooo spot on! literally lol - any woman living with a man will know what she's on about!!!
Kristal Cooper
Whoopi Goldberg gets on her soapbox about a wide range of issues from cuss words and farting to politcians and abortion. One of the first things she mentions is that her opinions are suitable for all ages, but I beg to differ... Many of theses subjects are definitely PG-13 at least. All in all, this audiobook kept me company while I was driving, but the only thing that will stick with me is the revelation that her real name is Karen!
Dec 30, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that after reading this book she is DEFINITELY one lady I would LOVE to sit down with and talk to..just about anything. She is very insightful on so many subjects..so many laughs too...she has some wonderful ideas on how to help us help ourselves..help each other out..really interesting reading..definitely going to look for others from her.
Michael Barnette
Sep 06, 2010 Michael Barnette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Whoopi Goldberg, people who like humor
Shelves: autobigraphies
Always funny, often irreverent and always unforgettable Whoopi Goldberg talks about life and love, the movie industry and just about everything important to her. A great read that will make you laugh, think and realize we're all together in this crazy thing called life.
Daniel
Dec 09, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book definitely makes you look at things from another perspective. She approaches topics one never really discusses with others or in public. Some things I agree with and others I don't. It's nice to read a book where someone just rambles about a certain topic.
Neetha Philip
the book was interesting. for a womans ramblings its quite interesting. yet i cannot get over her judgement. it comes across as a little vain and slightly unintelligent. but at the same time, one can relate to her and the things that she says.
Linda
Aug 11, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have read this book more than once. I just love Whoopi! She is unapologetically real and beyond hilarious.*highly recommend, if you don't laugh out loud throughout the book I am not sure you have a sense of humor.

Darcy
Dec 05, 2013 Darcy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
an interesting book full of insights into this amazing woman's history and how she created-and fumbled her way through raising a child and having success and sanity (as well as insanity) in the public, Hollywood eye.
Judith Guyot
I liked all of the issues she talks about in the book. However it was difficult to get by all of the swearing.

I know it is her style but it would have made better reading for me if much of it was deleted.
Dwayne Keller
Nov 28, 2010 Dwayne Keller rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a book to waste your time on; sorry I did. A few things to smile at in the beginning, but overall just opinions and rantings on her viewpoint. Had it been funny, it could have been worth it.
Marylu Sanok
Oct 13, 2011 Marylu Sanok rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: biography and humor readers
Recommended to Marylu by: author
Shelves: non-fiction
Short anecdotes from the author on life and situations. Whoopi doesn't hold back on her opinions and she is very open about her beliefs and hopes for a good life.
Breeze
Sep 20, 2011 Breeze rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Huge fan of Whoopi so I was really excited about this book. I thought it was really good. It wasn't particularly profound but definitely a good summer read.
Louise
Apr 06, 2009 Louise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is the funniest book I've read in awhile. Whoopi's telling of everyday things is very humorous. The part about living with men is hysterical!!

Summer Munger
I love Whoopi's view on almost everything; race, gender, politics. Plus she's got an entire chapter dedicated to farts. My heart was completely won over.
C.
May 15, 2015 C. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It made me laugh. It made me think. It was an on "Book." Not what I expected, but once I got going, I didn't put it down until I read every page.
Alex
Jan 17, 2009 Alex rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK. So once your name is a household word, just put something on paper and bind it. It may not be a bestseller, but the extra income will be nice.
  • It's Not That I'm Bitter . . .: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Visible Panty Lines and Conquered the World
  • 100 Years, 100 Stories
  • My Nest Isn't Empty, It Just Has More Closet Space: The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman
  • The Truth Is . . .: My Life in Love and Music
  • I Didn't Ask to Be Born (But I'm Glad I Was)
  • Not a Happy Camper: A Memoir
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • Dream Lovers: The Magnificent Shattered Lives of Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee - by Their Son Dodd Darin
  • Camelot 30K
  • If Only
  • Have You No Shame?: And Other Regrettable Stories
  • My Name Escapes Me: The Diary of a Retiring Actor
  • Blues: For All the Changes
  • The Warren Commission Report: The Official Report of the President's Commission on the Assassination of President John F. Kennedy
  • The Duplicate
  • Stan and Ollie: The Roots of Comedy: The Double Life of Laurel and Hardy
  • The Customer is Always Wrong: The Retail Chronicles
  • Ingrid: A Personal Biography of Ingrid Bergman
Whoopi Goldberg (born Caryn Elaine Johnson) is an Academy Award winning American actress, comedian, radio host, TV personality/talk show host, game show host, singer, rapper and author.

She is one of only thirteen individuals who have won an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony Award, counting Daytime Emmy Awards. She is the second African American female performer to win an Academy Award for actin
More about Whoopi Goldberg...