Start by marking “The World We Used to Live In: Remembering the Powers of the Medicine Men” as Want to Read:
The World We Used to Live In: Remembering the Powers of the Medicine Men

The World We Used to Live In: Remembering the Powers of the Medicine Men

Deloria looks at medicine men, their powers, and the Earth's relation to the cosmos.
Published March 1st 2006 by Fulcrum Publishing (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The World We Used to Live In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World We Used to Live In

Feb 07, 2011 LaPinto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read many books on Native American Legends and stories of the capabilities of the tribal medicine men, but this is the first book I have read that presents first hand accounts written by the Europeans who first came in contact with the different origional Nations of North America.
These first-contact Europeans witnessed the actions of the medicine men when they were still pure in their beliefs and religions, before becoming corrupted by the Christian faith.
Many of the first hand docum
Kirk Plankey
Sep 30, 2012 Kirk Plankey rated it it was ok
I really do Like Vine Deloria, but I just couldn't finish this book. If you interested in anecdotal stories and tales (a lot of them) and you are interested in the lore and history of the Medicine Men then perhaps this will work for you. I only made it to page 51 before I gave up. His philosophical works are favorites of mine but this one just seems to have little to no point at least none to me. I really hated to set this one down but after multiple tries over several months this one is just no ...more
Jody Mena
Jun 01, 2015 Jody Mena added it
Shelves: nonfiction
Some pretty powerful stories and insights into the cultural and religious world view of Native Americans. The stories are all written as excerpts from first hand accounts of different sources, which lends them credibility, and they are such incredible tales, that someone who isn't a part of that tradition finds them hard to believe. It's an enlightening peek into a world that's been largely overlooked and/or forgotten by much of today's society. A really enjoyable read.
Steven Howes
Sep 26, 2012 Steven Howes rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that I would only recommend to people who are deeply interested in the subject. I will say that the late Vine Deloria is a noted native american writer, historian, and advocate. This book is a collection of documented accounts of acctual healing and finding ceremonies performed by tribal medicine men.
Julia Orloff
Mar 02, 2013 Julia Orloff rated it really liked it
So far this book is the Vine Deloria, Jr. book that has intrigued me the most. I appreciate the numerous accounts he compiled to set the frame for his thesis. Although this book tells stories of the past and "the world we used to live in," and may be an indicator to some of what we lost, to me it gives me hope, the knowledge is still there. We need to listen, pay heed, and reconnect.
Sheila Rocha
Oct 31, 2013 Sheila Rocha rated it it was amazing
good good much needed reclamatory accounts of the oral tradition from Native America that celebrates the mystery and honors the medicine. A Deloria stroll off the usual path and deep into the heart of all that he committed his life to addressing. This book is working for me.
Deloria seems careful to avoid overgeneralizing, which I respect, but it makes this feel like a collection of anecdotes--sometimes invigorating anecdotes, but as often as not instead decontextualized and hard to get through.
May 17, 2010 Ash rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
My favourite chapter was "Sacred Stones and Places." I would have rated it a 3 if not for this chapter, it really touched me the most.
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2013
Stza rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2009
Reggie Herbert
Reggie Herbert rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015
James rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2012
Trevino Brings Plenty
Trevino Brings Plenty rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2012
Joyce rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2012
Sam rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2012
Maureen rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2010
Scott rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2014
Sea rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2012
Levi Chapin
Levi Chapin rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2013
Sirama rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2014
Meg rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2007
Phino Fernandez
Phino Fernandez rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Wiser rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2008
Joseph RedCloud
Joseph RedCloud rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2007
Alexander rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2007
Talat rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2014
Valerie rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2012
Elaine Cimino
Elaine Cimino rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2013
Benally rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Dreams
  • All Our Relations: Native Struggles for Land and Life
  • The Trail of Tears: The Story of the American Indian Removals 1813-1855
  • Columbus and Other Cannibals: The Wetiko Disease of Exploitation, Imperialism, and Terrorism
  • Daughters of Copper Woman
  • Native American Testimony: A Chronicle of Indian-White Relations from Prophecy to the Present
  • Crow Dog: Four Generations of Sioux Medicine Men
  • Shi-shi-etko
  • The Pentagon of Power (The Myth of the Machine, Vol 2)
  • Make Prayers to the Raven: A Koyukon View of the Northern Forest
  • The Death of Nature: Women, Ecology, and the Scientific Revolution
  • Genocide of the Mind: New Native American Writing
  • Killing the White Man's Indian: Reinventing Native Americans at the End of the Twentieth Century
  • Mother Earth Spirituality: Native American Paths to Healing Ourselves and Our World
  • Conquest: Sexual Violence and American Indian Genocide
  • Kill the Indian, Save the Man: The Genocidal Impact of American Indian Residential Schools
  • The Lakotas and the Black Hills: The Struggle for Sacred Ground
  • Every Day Is a Good Day: Reflections by Contemporary Indigenous Women
Vine Victor Deloria, Jr. was an American Indian author, theologian, historian, and activist. He was widely known for his book Custer Died for Your Sins: An Indian Manifesto (1969), which helped generate national attention to Native American issues in the same year as the Alcatraz-Red Power Movement. From 1964–1967, he had served as executive director of the National Congress of American Indians, i ...more
More about Vine Deloria Jr....