The World We Used to Live In: Remembering the Powers of the Medicine Men

The World We Used to Live In: Remembering the Powers of the Medicine Men

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Deloria looks at medicine men, their powers, and the Earth's relation to the cosmos.
Published March 6th 2006 by Fulcrum Publishing (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The World We Used to Live In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World We Used to Live In

LaPinto
I have read many books on Native American Legends and stories of the capabilities of the tribal medicine men, but this is the first book I have read that presents first hand accounts written by the Europeans who first came in contact with the different origional Nations of North America.
These first-contact Europeans witnessed the actions of the medicine men when they were still pure in their beliefs and religions, before becoming corrupted by the Christian faith.
Many of the first hand docum...more
Kirk Plankey
I really do Like Vine Deloria, but I just couldn't finish this book. If you interested in anecdotal stories and tales (a lot of them) and you are interested in the lore and history of the Medicine Men then perhaps this will work for you. I only made it to page 51 before I gave up. His philosophical works are favorites of mine but this one just seems to have little to no point at least none to me. I really hated to set this one down but after multiple tries over several months this one is just no...more
Jody Mena
Some pretty powerful stories and insights into the cultural and religious world view of Native Americans. The stories are all written as excerpts from first hand accounts of different sources, which lends them credibility, and they are such incredible tales, that someone who isn't a part of that tradition finds them hard to believe. It's an enlightening peek into a world that's been largely overlooked and/or forgotten by much of today's society. A really enjoyable read.
Julia Orloff
So far this book is the Vine Deloria, Jr. book that has intrigued me the most. I appreciate the numerous accounts he compiled to set the frame for his thesis. Although this book tells stories of the past and "the world we used to live in," and may be an indicator to some of what we lost, to me it gives me hope, the knowledge is still there. We need to listen, pay heed, and reconnect.
Steven Howes
This is one of those books that I would only recommend to people who are deeply interested in the subject. I will say that the late Vine Deloria is a noted native american writer, historian, and advocate. This book is a collection of documented accounts of acctual healing and finding ceremonies performed by tribal medicine men.
Sheila Rocha
good good much needed reclamatory accounts of the oral tradition from Native America that celebrates the mystery and honors the medicine. A Deloria stroll off the usual path and deep into the heart of all that he committed his life to addressing. This book is working for me.
Ayashe
My favourite chapter was "Sacred Stones and Places." I would have rated it a 3 if not for this chapter, it really touched me the most.
Cheryl
Sep 06, 2007 Cheryl is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Denise
We recently quoted from it for hearing on health by Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
Randilynn
I am rereading this book.
Bree
Bree marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Kiana
Kiana marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Gizem
Gizem marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Liz Becker
Liz Becker marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Adrina
Adrina marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Tarita Brown
Tarita Brown marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Wanda Rockthunder
Wanda Rockthunder marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Vine Victor Deloria, Jr. (March 26, 1933 – November 13, 2005) was an American Indian author, theologian, historian, and activist. He was widely known for his book Custer Died for Your Sins: An Indian Manifesto (1969), which helped generate national attention to Native American issues in the same year as the Alcatraz-Red Power Movement. From 1964–1967, he had served as executive director of the Nat...more
More about Vine Deloria Jr....
Custer Died for Your Sins: An Indian Manifesto God Is Red: A Native View of Religion Red Earth, White Lies: Native Americans and the Myth of Scientific Fact Behind the Trail of Broken Treaties: An Indian Declaration of Independence Spirit and Reason: The Vine Deloria Jr. Reader