Grendel: God and the Devil

Grendel: God and the Devil (Grendel)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  9 reviews
When the depraved Pope Innocent XLII begins construction of a new church tower hiding a powerful and deadly secret, two men rise against the church's corruption. One is Orion Assante, a man determined to expose the Pope for who he really is. The other is a mysterious figure wearing the all-too-familiar face of Grendel.
Published August 12th 2008 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about Grendel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grendel

Dufour
It's taking him forever to collect the entire GRENDEL opus, and this is one of the largest missing pieces of Matt Wagner's excellent series. Coming into Grendel as a newbie with WAR CHILD, I've always been intrigued on how Wagner grew the myth of Grendel from the original Hunter Rose through Christine Spar and into the vast Grendel Khanate founded by Orion Assante in WAR CHILD. GOD & THE DEVIL was presumably to have cleared up some of that story.

While the story definitely delivers at the met...more
Matt
I first read this story when I was in high school. It holds up better than I expected, and while there are some hilariously over-the-top elements to this story-- Pope Innocent XLII's secret identity, for example-- it is an interesting example of dystopian science fiction delving into religious issues. On the religious front, I wish so many of the corrupt Catholic figures were less cliched, from the pedophilic priest to the sado-masochistic Grand Inquisitrix that leads Innocent's new Inquisition....more
Paul
It's a bit funny to me as this book is mainly a prequel, a making of a Grendel if you will.
Sure, there's the Eppy Thatcher Grendel in there, but throughout the book I couldn't help but feel as though poor Eppy was mostly in there as comic relief.
The main story revolves around Assante and his progress towards becoming the new "version" of Grendel. It's a very good story and does take the reader on a fascinating ride, but like I said, it felt more of a prequel to the next installment.

Still any Mat...more
zxvasdf
It took me a while to read this but I was impressed. Seamlessly integrating two main plots with a series of subplots. At once apocalyptic, post-apocalyptic, and visionary, because you know it's very possible that once the corporates finds out it'll sell better with religion, we're fucked.
Chris
My personal favorite arc of my favorite comic series. Adding it to my goodreads as its omission is glaring.
Erik Carl son

I love Eppy Thatcher and the bizarre spin this series takes...you got your prayin' hand
Robert
interesting mix of future vision - characters
Brady
Nov 02, 2010 Brady is currently reading it
Shelves: comics
fantastic art. awesome themes.
Brian
Not really all that good.
Axolotl
Axolotl marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Tezz Blake
Tezz Blake marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
Johnny
Johnny marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Matt Wagner is an American comic book writer and artist. In addition to his creator-owned series' Mage and Grendel, he has also worked on comics featuring The Demon and Batman as well as such titles as Sandman Mystery Theatre and Trinity, a DC Comics limited series featuring Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman.
More about Matt Wagner...
Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trinity Batman and the Monster Men Madame Xanadu, Vol. 1: Disenchanted Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 1: The Tarantula Batman and the Mad Monk