Start by marking “Grendel: God and the Devil” as Want to Read:
Grendel: God and the Devil

Grendel: God and the Devil (Grendel)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  98 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
When the depraved Pope Innocent XLII begins construction of a new church tower hiding a powerful and deadly secret, two men rise against the church's corruption. One is Orion Assante, a man determined to expose the Pope for who he really is. The other is a mysterious figure wearing the all-too-familiar face of Grendel.
Published August 12th 2008 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about Grendel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grendel

Shannon Appelcline
Feb 08, 2015 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
God & The Devil (24-33). Initially, the most interesting aspect of "God & The Devil" is how it so totally remakes the world. We're now clearly on our way to a post-apocalyptic society far from our own. It's quite a change from the super-hero focused stories of the original Grendel, and yet it's quite interesting to see the shade of Grendel continue into it.

However, the story continues to excel even beyond its intriguing genesis because it's truly epic. We get three different protagonists
Dufour
Oct 14, 2008 Dufour rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It's taking him forever to collect the entire GRENDEL opus, and this is one of the largest missing pieces of Matt Wagner's excellent series. Coming into Grendel as a newbie with WAR CHILD, I've always been intrigued on how Wagner grew the myth of Grendel from the original Hunter Rose through Christine Spar and into the vast Grendel Khanate founded by Orion Assante in WAR CHILD. GOD & THE DEVIL was presumably to have cleared up some of that story.

While the story definitely delivers at the met
Matt
Nov 18, 2012 Matt rated it liked it
I first read this story when I was in high school. It holds up better than I expected, and while there are some hilariously over-the-top elements to this story-- Pope Innocent XLII's secret identity, for example-- it is an interesting example of dystopian science fiction delving into religious issues. On the religious front, I wish so many of the corrupt Catholic figures were less cliched, from the pedophilic priest to the sado-masochistic Grand Inquisitrix that leads Innocent's new Inquisition. ...more
Paul
Jul 07, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it
It's a bit funny to me as this book is mainly a prequel, a making of a Grendel if you will.
Sure, there's the Eppy Thatcher Grendel in there, but throughout the book I couldn't help but feel as though poor Eppy was mostly in there as comic relief.
The main story revolves around Assante and his progress towards becoming the new "version" of Grendel. It's a very good story and does take the reader on a fascinating ride, but like I said, it felt more of a prequel to the next installment.

Still any Mat
zxvasdf
Sep 25, 2012 zxvasdf rated it really liked it
It took me a while to read this but I was impressed. Seamlessly integrating two main plots with a series of subplots. At once apocalyptic, post-apocalyptic, and visionary, because you know it's very possible that once the corporates finds out it'll sell better with religion, we're fucked.
Christopher
Dec 21, 2012 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, comics
My personal favorite arc of my favorite comic series. Adding it to my goodreads as its omission is glaring.
Erik Carl son
Aug 05, 2012 Erik Carl son rated it it was amazing

I love Eppy Thatcher and the bizarre spin this series takes...you got your prayin' hand
Robert
Aug 21, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it
interesting mix of future vision - characters
Brady
Nov 02, 2010 Brady is currently reading it
Shelves: comics
fantastic art. awesome themes.
Brian
May 14, 2010 Brian rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Not really all that good.
Crusty
Crusty marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Bill Bryant
Bill Bryant marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Johnny Mayall
Johnny Mayall rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Krishna
Krishna marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Karyn Choi
Karyn Choi rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Todd Meigs
Todd Meigs rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
El Kauffman
El Kauffman rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2015
Davide Zoia
Davide Zoia rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Adam Klatka
Adam Klatka rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2015
M. Toledo
M. Toledo rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2015
Laura rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Rhi Myfanwy
Rhi Myfanwy marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Francorum Martinezku
Francorum Martinezku rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2015
Charles Vale
Charles Vale rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2015
Ivan Ferrara
Ivan Ferrara rated it really liked it
May 04, 2015
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Nicky
Nicky marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Mobius
Mobius rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Matt Wagner is an American comic book writer and artist. In addition to his creator-owned series' Mage and Grendel, he has also worked on comics featuring The Demon and Batman as well as such titles as Sandman Mystery Theatre and Trinity, a DC Comics limited series featuring Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman.
More about Matt Wagner...

Grendel (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Grendel Archives
  • Grendel: Devil by the Deed
  • Grendel: Devil's Legacy
  • Grendel: The Devil Inside
  • Grendel: Devil Tales
  • Grendel: Devil's Reign (Grendel #6)
  • Grendel: Warchild