Start by marking “The Flame of Resistance (The Lost King, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Flame of Resistance (The Lost King, #1)

The Flame of Resistance (The Lost King #1)

Edgar Atheling is the last surviving descendent of Alfred the Great and heir to the throne of England. But because he is only thirteen years of age the throne is given instead to the experienced warrior Harold Godwinson, a man who appears best fitted to defeat the forces preparing to invade the kingdom. When Harold is killed at the Battle of Hastings the great council of ...more
Published November 13th 2015 by Createspace (first published April 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Flame of Resistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flame of Resistance

Marita
This novel about Edgar the Ætheling was a really enjoyable read. An interesting take on the aftermath of 1066, it is narrated by the teenage would-be king of England who wasn't and wouldn't be. Although young, Edgar is observant, shrewd and savvy which is just as well as Edgar has to make several very important life or death decisions. He makes some very good choices, but inevitably there are also some mistakes. There is much irony and humour in the telling, and one really has the sense of being ...more
Therese
$2.99

Edgar really was I lost King of England and after the invasion of the Conqueror, he was forever trying to decide who to trust, where to go and what to do. Not a lot is known about him with all the exploits of William and his sons, but after Harold was killed in the battle of Hastings, the English did declare that Edgar was the rightful heir since he was the grandson of Edmund and the great grandson of Alfred. Even before Harold took the throne, Edgar had a better claim on it. He just wasn't
Ruth
Jun 25, 2012 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an exciting read featuring Edgar the Atheling and his resistance to William the Conqueror. It is well researched and paints a vivid picture of life at the time of the Conquest. Edgar, a teenager, shows wisdom beyond his years in dealing with the Conqueror, Malcolm king of Scotland, invading Danes and his family and friends.
Andrew Puckett
Aug 30, 2013 Andrew Puckett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like many others, I always wished that Harold could have won the Battle of Hastings (even though it would probably mean I wouldn't exist!). This book puts my feelings into words. Great sense of history, terrific pace, Edgar himself a very sympathetic character. A very good read.
Mercedes Rochelle
This story is about the ill-fated Eadgar Aetheling, last true Saxon heir to the throne. Too young to take the crown after Edward the Confessor's death, he was certainly too young to manage things less than one year later when everything had fallen apart. But there was no other choice for the Saxons after Harold Godwineson lost the crown. So the Witan hurriedly elected Eadgar next king of England, and this is where our novel takes up the tale.

Martin Lake presents Eadgar with an unenviable situat
Tricia Preston
Aug 22, 2016 Tricia Preston rated it it was amazing
The aftermath of the Battle of Hastings
We all know that William the Conqueror was the victor at the Battle of Hastings but nobody at school bothered to tell us what happened afterwards. Did the crown sit easily on the Conquerors head?
In this story, we follow the campaign to make Edgar Aetherling, the sole surviving descendant of Alfred the Great, the new King of England.
Clearly well researched, in this, being the first book of a series, we see the thirteen year old boy begin his lifetime of resi
Paul Bennett
Once again I found myself immersed in a time period I am not familiar with other than the fact that the year 1066 was one of those we memorized in history class. The Normans under William the Bastard have defeated the English at The Battle of Hastings. That's the starting point for this very enjoyable and well written book. The author is to be commended for his meticulous detail, his characters and the obvious passion he has for this period. The story follows Edgar Aetheling as he seeks his ...more
Debbi
May 30, 2016 Debbi rated it it was amazing
I don't remember why I bought this book except that I have liked everything else that I read by Martin Lake. The Flame of Resistance was no exception, and now I need to read the next 3 in the series!.

I've never heard of Edgar Aethling before, but The Flame of Resistance brings him to life. It begins just after the Battle of Hasting where King Harold and his family are all killed. Edgar is technically heir to the throne, but William the Conqueror won the battle and claimed the title, so Edgar is
Nola
Jun 04, 2016 Nola rated it really liked it
An interesting angle on the story of Edgar Aetheling's life and situation immediately following the Battle of Hastings. Instead of representing a weak would-be king under the influence of Malcolm of Scotland, Martin Lake portrays him as you would believe a teenager thrust into this precarious position would act - unsure of whom to trust with little knowledge of negotiations and conspiracy. The author does a good job of showing the exact point in which Edgar leaves his childhood behind and forces ...more
Darlene Williams
Mar 02, 2015 Darlene Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally the POV of Edgar

Every novel I've read situated after the Battle of Hastings has Edgar in a secondary position, portrayed as a weak character, dependent on Malcolm and unable to make a responsible decision. The Lost King brings us a child thrust into the aftermath virtually powerless, but convinced by others and himself that he is the rightful king of England. A well written novel that takes us into a realistic depiction of the world Edgar lived in and faced. Recommended.
Karen
Aug 06, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: august-2016
The Inside Story

I have read many historical accounts both fiction and non-fiction concerning this period in history. I especially enjoyed this book because of its slant. The characters were developed well so added a depth to the historical account. The cultures and characters seemed real so that I felt as though I was actually living in the time period. An interesting and fascinating read.
Louisa
three and a half stars.

I chose the book because one of my monthly reading challenges for March was to read a novel set in Norman Britain and I'm glad I came across The Flame of Resistance. A well researched historical novel, however, not once did I feel Martin Lake was distracting from the story with historical facts. As soon as I finished reading, I immediately purchased the second instalment which I look forward to reading in the near future.
Cindy
Jun 22, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing
l love this authors work; his love of the lands, the history; shines.

i read where someone had written of too many typo's; I just did not see this to be the case; I am the first the complain on that score; but I found myself well into the story from the start and now seamlessly an deep into book two.

Well done, well written, keep em coming!!
Debbi
Feb 19, 2016 Debbi rated it liked it
11th century England. Word yet hadn't spread that 13-year-old Edgar Atheling, grandson of Alfred the Great, had been crowned King of England when Willam the Conqueror invaded and quite promptly stole the throne. This series of novels reveals Edgar's fight to regain his crown. In this one he submits to William and is not treated too badly but decides to flee at the first sign of rebellion.
Maria
Jan 19, 2015 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sucked in

I am a huge fan of historical books. This 1st book in this trilogy, even though fictional, sucked in can't wait to start book 2.
Sealover
Oct 13, 2014 Sealover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An epic read

An inspiring and exhilarating look inside the mind of King Edgar of England. I would highly recommend it to lovers of history and fiction alike.
darrell c frazier
Dec 09, 2014 darrell c frazier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

E enjoyable and interesting part of history that I hadn't, delved into before. Easy smooth read. Kept me interested. Look forward to. The next book in the series.
Louisa
Louisa rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Jane Greene
Jane Greene rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Martin Lake
Apr 27, 2012 Martin Lake added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this book so can't really say.
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2015
Sue Bluntish
Sue Bluntish rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Krystal
Krystal rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Haydn Pope
Haydn Pope rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2016
Beth Peakall
Beth Peakall rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Kristina
Kristina rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2016
Mary Ramirez
Mary Ramirez rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Tommie
Tommie rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2015
Mary Dealing
Mary Dealing rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Lion of Justice (Norman Trilogy, #2)
  • The King's Favourite Son (John Plantagenet Trilogy, #1)
  • History of William the Conqueror
  • Cup of Blood (Crispin Guest #7)
  • Beloved Enemy: The Passions of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • The Price of Blood (The Emma of Normandy Trilogy, #2)
  • The Splintered Kingdom (The Bloody Aftermath of 1066, #2)
  • Under the Hog
  • The Goldsmith's Daughter (Roger the Chapman, #10)
  • The Rose of York: Fall from Grace (The Rose of York Trilogy, #3)
  • Treason
  • This Time (Richard III, #1)
  • George Boleyn: Tudor Poet, Courtier and Diplomat
  • Edward III
  • The Straw Men (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #12)
  • Montfort: The Early Years -  1229 to 1243 (Monfort, #1)
Hello, I'm Martin Lake. I've been writing fiction since the age of eleven when our inventive English teacher Mr Johnson asked us to imagine that we were a Guy on a Guy Fawkes bonfire. I discovered the thrill of words and character.

My favourite authors when I was young were historical novelists like Rosemary Sutcliff and Henry Treece and a galaxy of science fiction writers. Later on I discovered t
More about Martin Lake...

The Lost King (4 books)
  • Triumph and Catastrophe (The Lost King, #2)
  • Blood of Ironside (The Lost King, #3)
  • In Search of Glory (The Lost King, #4)