Start by marking “Strip for Murder” as Want to Read:
Strip for Murder

Strip for Murder (Shell Scott #12)

Suspiciously dangerous accidents were happening, and people were dying, including the private eye I had been sent to replace. I didn't like it. But hey, that's what I'm hired to do, I'm used to murder and mayhem. The real problem came when I had to go undercover... UNCOVERED in a nudist camp... or as they liked to call themselves "naturalist". Now, don't get me wrong, I ha

Published 1999 by (first published October 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Strip for Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strip for Murder

Aug 23, 2009 Garrypost added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like murder mysteries and detective stories
My friend Al Raman in Philadelphia recommended this book to me. So I bought it and read it. We are both getting ready to read Inherent Vice, the latest Thomas Pynchon novel and as it is a detective novel (and set in LA) we started chatting about detective novels we liked and he liked this author, Richard S. Prather.

Strip for Murder is apparently one of a series of stories featuring the character Shell Scott "a guy with a pistol in his pocket and murder on his mind" from the back cover. The inter
Rob Smith
Oct 16, 2016 Rob Smith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
This is the most preposterous Shell Scott novel I've read. From nudist colony to gas air balloons to a lossey goosey plot, Prather seems to have thrown this together for a deadline.

The story is pretty linear and bad guys established early. It's the settings that are the stars in this book. The nudist colony is oddly written in the acceptance of Scott as an educational component of the facility and the immediate implementation of him is amongst the farfetched elements in this tale. There are fire
Gentleman Farmer
Jun 26, 2015 Gentleman Farmer rated it really liked it
Strip for Murder features Shell Scott, private detective. I like the Shell Scott books. They tend to be a lot of fun, pretty campy and over the top and a bit of a send-up of the hardboiled detective novel.

Richard S. Prather imagines a world where the criminal underclass is identifiable by their nicknames and their Dick Tracy-like villainous physical identifiers. They speak in hood-speak, a linguistic code known to few outside of criminals, tipsters and our hero, Shell Scott.

Shell Scott has a wea
Mar 28, 2014 sarg rated it liked it
One of the funniest PI mysteries ive read.
Just finished rereading an old favorite murder mystery "strip for murder." It ended exactly the same way as it did the first time. Second time around is just not as good. I read this book about 50 years ago and really liked Richard Prathers books with the PI Shell Scott. Would have given it a big 5 stars then, but only rates about a 3 now.
Mar 26, 2013 Eric rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, 2008
In Richard Prather's world, all men are eggs and all women are tomatoes. And Shell Scott, a private eye with a distinctive Race Bannon countenance, was the most hardboiled egg of them all.
Lisa Walsh
Lisa Walsh rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
David Mckenzie
David Mckenzie rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2011
Charles rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2013
Mike Griffiths
Mike Griffiths rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2013
Joe rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2008
Adam Crown
Adam Crown rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Glen rated it really liked it
May 30, 2013
Beverly rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2008
Aimee rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2012
Robert Shearer
Robert Shearer rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2012
Travis Greer
Travis Greer rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Jonathan Young
Jonathan Young rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Gregory Brown
Gregory Brown rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2013
Michael rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2010
Susan Schwartz
Susan Schwartz rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2009
Jim Thomas
Jim Thomas rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Ed rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2011
Վոլտ rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Walt rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2013
Neil Wright
Neil Wright rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Elizabeth Engstrom
Elizabeth Engstrom rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2009
Ray rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2010
Bob rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2011
George Zotos
George Zotos rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2013
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Richard Scott Prather was an American mystery novelist, best known for creating the "Shell Scott" series. He also wrote under the pseudonyms David Knight and Douglas Ring.

Prather was born in Santa Ana, California. He served in the United States Merchant Marine during World War II. In 1945 year he married Tina Hager and began working as a civilian chief clerk of surplus property at March Air Force
More about Richard S. Prather...

Shell Scott (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • Case of the Vanishing Beauty
  • Bodies in Bedlam
  • Everybody Had a Gun
  • Find This Woman
  • Dagger of Flesh (Shell Scott, #5)
  • Darling It's Death